Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madeleine McCann

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

She wandered out herself, something happened (car accident/paedo)
    I very much doubt anyone thinks the McCanns are guilty of anything just because Kate washed a toy.

Except for the poster who included this detail in their run down of suspicious behaviour and have yet to get back to me when I’ve asked them to elaborate.

I can accept we will agree to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Something Else
    Expect for the poster who included this detail in their run down of suspicious behaviour and have yet to get back to me when I’ve asked them to elaborate.

I can accept we will agree to disagree.

The poster had it in a list of suspicious behaviour. What is suspicious to one, may well not be to someone else. We all think differently about things.

Some people may have seen cold behaviour as a coping mechanism and not see that as strange at all. It's our own personal perceptions that form the basis of our theories in the absence of proof of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,950 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

We have a little girl missing. A lot of people were very annoyed/outraged/saddened at the children being left alone and were quick to judge her parents. I think people saw suspicion everywhere, certainly at first. It's the nature of any mystery and that is unlikely to change.

I very much doubt anyone thinks the McCanns are guilty of anything just because Kate washed a toy. It is a cumulative thing, which is i imagine how most people come to form an opinion and theory.

For example, a cold demeanor. Not in itself proof of anything but adds to some people's suspicions.

How'd that 'cold demeanour' as the basis for suspicion pan out in convicting Lindy Chamberlain and her husband for the murder of Azaria?

Something Else
    cnocbui wrote: »
    How'd that 'cold demeanour' as the basis for suspicion pan out in convicting Lindy Chamberlain and her husband for the murder of Azaria?

People will always form opinions based on behaviour, sometimes they will be right, sometimes wrong.

People will judge people on their standard of how they would act and make a judgement call.

People forming suspicions based on odd behaviour and forming total fabrications and taking to message boards accusing parents of drugging and body disposal (admittedly) without a shred of proof are two totally different things.

• Advertisement

Something Else
    People forming suspicions based on odd behaviour and forming total fabrications and taking to message boards accusing parents of drugging and body disposal (admittedly) without a shred of proof are two totally different things.

I understand your annoyance, but again in the absence of proof of an abductor people are going to believe something else may have happened. The fact she is missing and not been seen by anyone since that night means whatever happened to her was most likely sinister in nature.

Like with any crime, the first suspects are those close to the victim. Given the circumstances of the disappearance (children being left alone), I think the McCanns were always going to have to refute accusations that they were involved.

I understand your annoyance, but again in the absence of proof of an abductor people are going to believe something else may have happened.

I’m not annoyed.
    So in the absence of proof of an abductor what makes sense to you is to substitute that theory and throw around more accusations with even less proof of those?

Makes sense...
    Like with any crime, the first suspects are those close to the victim.

Yes and they were considered arguido and subsequently lifted. Thus, this baseless insistence they’re involved is futile.

Something Else
    I’m not annoyed.
    So in the absence of an abductor what makes sense to you is to substitute that theory and throw around more accusations without even more proof of those?

Makes sense...

Again we are all entitled to form an opinion. I have mine, one that many on this very thread have also voiced.

This is a discussion board, and we are all discussing what may have happened the night Madeleine went missing, and in the years since. The fact myself and many others are posting opinions/theories here and haven't been banned means we are posting within accepted guidelines.

I accept you think it was an abduction. You can't expect others to not voice their opinion on a discussion board, regardless of how fervently you disagree with them.

With no proof of anything, this is going to continue to be a sad case open to a great deal of debate.

Again, I’ve never once said you cannot hold certain opinions, that is always going to be the case. I’ve been around here long enough to know the score at this stage.

However, if you react with such hostility to people questioning your theories (blatant accusations) and wanting links or proof well then maybe that is a reflection on the shaky ground from which your theory (accusation) is built and not a reflection on the poster asking the question.

Something Else
    Again, I’ve never once said you cannot hold certain opinions, that is always going to be the case. I’ve been around here long enough to know the score at this stage.

However, if you react with such hostility to people questioning your theories and looking for proof well then maybe that is a reflection on the shaky ground from which your theory is built and not a reflection on the poster asking the question.

I don't believe I have been hostile at all. I'd say rather reasoned, if in the absence of clarification that is directed at me.

We are all on shaky ground with regards to our theories. No one has proof of anything.

• Advertisement

But not everyone is making accusations of parents drugging children and subsequent body disposal.

Again, we’ll have to leave it there.

Something Else
    But not everyone is making accusations of drugging children and body disposal.

Again, we’ll have to leave it there.

And again, not everyone believes she was sedated, so not everyone is going to say that.

We are all posting within the guidelines. If you don't agree, that's fine, but it's not up to you to say on a discussion board what should or shouldn't be posted regarding theories.

It's one thing to not agree, it's another entirely to expect people not to share their opinions. None of us can prove anything so you and your opinion has no more weight than anyone else's on here.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    nthclare - Please don't post in this thread again

I'm lifting this after having discussed with nthclare

And again, not everyone believes she was sedated, so not everyone is going to say that.

You do though. But you have no proof of that.
    We are all posting within the guidelines. If you don't agree, that's fine, but it's not up to you to say on a discussion board what should or shouldn't be posted regarding theories.

It's one thing to not agree, it's another entirely to expect people not to share their opinions. None of us can prove anything so you and your opinion has no more weight than anyone else's on here.

Can you point me to where I asked you not to discuss your opinions? Only a few days ago I asked you to link something of interest to me which you refused. You are accusing me of trying to back seat moderate the place for expecting you to have some sort of basis that formulates your accusations that Kate and Gerry drugged their child and buried her.
    Asking for proof, a timeline, a link, something, anything that can assist you in your claims is not me trying to silence you. That is me being curious about how you formed your argument. It’s actually the opposite of silencing you when I have routinely given you more room to discuss- the fact you have shut up shop and are refusing is not my problem. No need to get so defensive. But yeah, like I said, we’ll leave it there yeah?

Something Else
    You do though. But you have no proof of that.

Can you point me to where I asked you not to discuss your opinions? Only a few days ago I asked you to link something of interest to me which you refused. You are accusing me of trying to back seat moderate the place for expecting you to have some sort of basis that formulates your accusations that Kate and Gerry drugged their child and buried her.
    Asking for proof, a timeline, a link, something, anything that can assist you in your claims is not me trying to silence you. That is me being curious about how you formed your argument. The fact you have shut up shop and are refusing is not my problem. No need to get so defensive. But yeah, like I said, we’ll leave it there yeah?

I have formed my opinion by reading news articles and forums/blogs like this one . It's how most people have formed their opinion. I am no different to anyone else

I didn't "refuse" to post anything. I can't remember specific posts or threads I read that made me form an opinion years ago. It wasnt one or two links, but lots of different things that made me raise an eyebrow, made me question if there was more to this mystery than an unseen abductor.

This case has been pulled apart for decades online. There are even YouTube videos by body language experts.

So yes, I believe it was an accidental death. I can't post a link/s that will prove this to be what happened. There are however lots of blog articles out there that discuss this theory in depth if you want to look for them.

Every theory regarding what happened to Madeleine Mccannhas holes in it. It's why this case is open to do many different opinions and interpretations.

So no link to where I told you not to discuss your opinions?
    It must be great posting with the luxury of making all the accusations you like and not have to back them up one bit. Again, I’ve actually routinely given you room to elaborate on your beliefs. The fact you refuse to do so is not me silencing you.
    Every theory regarding what happened to Madeleine Mccannhas holes in it. It's why this case is open to do many different opinions and interpretations.

Some don’t blame the parents though. You know, the parents who were considered arguido and then subsequently lifted of the status. The parents of the remaining McCann children who have to read baseless accusations online that their parents drugged and buried their sister. The children some posters here claim to care about.
    I have formed my opinion by reading news articles and forums/blogs like this one . It's how most people have formed their opinion. I am no different to anyone else.

And I’m interested in seeing those news articles and forums which have assisted you in your accusations of drugging and burial.
    It’s how most people have formed their opinion?? Anyone can write a shltty blog post claiming all sorts. I’d like to think most people have formed their opinion through deduction, reason and logic. But then again that might be asking too much.

Something Else
    So can I ask why they then feel it’s acceptable to make claims surrounding drugging children, accidental death, disposing of her in a gym bag and subsequent and cover up

You don't think it's acceptable for people to post their opinion when it doesn't tally with yours.i.e. you don't think those opinions should be on here.

Everyone is entitled to express what they like within the forum guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

You don't think it's acceptable for people to post their opinion when it doesn't tally with yours.i.e. you don't think those opinions should be on here.

Everyone is entitled to express what they like within the forum guidelines.

Fairly bizarre that people can claim the McCanns innocence without any proof or evidence yet challenge other theories without proof or evidence

Ah now at least quote the whole post:
    Most people here agreed with a post stating there was NO PROOF to suggest anyhing happened either way. So can I ask why they then feel it’s acceptable to make claims surrounding drugging children, accidental death, disposing of her in a gym bag and subsequent and cover up?.

Again, you agree you have no proof. Me then wondering how it is you’ve formulated your theory (accusation) is not me silencing you. It’s asking you to elaborate.

limnam wrote: »
    Fairly bizarre that people can claim the McCanns innocence without any proof or evidence yet challenge other theories without proof or evidence

Yeah that would be because of the whole innocent until proven guilty thing.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Something Else
    Ah now at least quote the whole post:

Again, you agree you have no proof. Me then wondering how it is you’ve formulated your theory (accusation) is not me silencing you. It’s asking you to elaborate.

Why did I need the first part of the post? It's quite clear you think opinions of parental involvement shouldn't be on here if they are not substantiated with proof. I.e. you are clearly saying those opinions have no place here. Of course they do. We can all post our opinions.

You asked me where you said people weren't entitled to express their opinions and I showed you.

Actually we are not allowed to speculate without proof, it’s in the charter. :)

You have consistently accused the McCann’s of drugging Madeline and disposing of her body. I have routinely asked what has motivated you to form this opinion, you have routinely refused to elaborate. That is not me telling you what you can and cannot say, that is you refusing to engage further because you have nothing to back up your beliefs. Like I said, that is a reflection on the fragility of your claims and not on me for asking the question.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

retro & sunshine - it's going round in circles a bit at this stage. :D
    I don't think there is going to be an agreement, so let's move forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    retro & sunshine - it's going round in circles a bit at this stage. :D
    I don't think there is going to be an agreement, so let's move forward.

Yeah the thread has been derailed at this stage. Maybe this is what someone wanted.

Andy Magic wrote: »
    Yeah the thread has been derailed at this stage. Maybe this is what someone wanted.

And posts like this are what, on topic? :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Andy Magic wrote: »

It's posts like this that derail the thread.

Mod Note: Andy Magic don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

My take on all of this is.
    1. The tapas 9 were more interested in not looking bad for leaving their children unattended than they were in providing evidence after the events of the night, hence the timelines are a little bent. Understandable in some ways at the time, less so once the gravity became clear.
    2. None of them seem particularly pleasant.
    3. Jane Tanner is a very strange person.
    And that's it. What happened to the poor mite, we will likely never know. There is no way on earth that her parents were involved, though I wonder if with hindsight they regret their decision to go against police advice and go public. They have always seemed bullish and confrontational, which is just a coping mechanism I suspect.
    The only options are targeted abduction, botched burglary, or she wandered out and came to harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Something Else
    flatty wrote: »
    My take on all of this is.
    1. The tapas 9 were more interested in not looking bad for leaving their children unattended than they were in providing evidence after the events of the night, hence the timelines are a little bent. Understandable in some ways at the time, less so once the gravity became clear.
    2. None of them seem particularly pleasant.
    3. Jane Tanner is a very strange person.
    And that's it. What happened to the poor mite, we will likely never know. There is no way on earth that her parents were involved, though I wonder if with hindsight they regret their decision to go against police advice and go public. They have always seemed bullish and confrontational, which is just a coping mechanism I suspect.
    The only options are targeted abduction, botched burglary, or she wandered out and came to harm.

i dont see anything that would exclude the parents

i dont see anything that would exclude the parents

There is no proof that includes the parents. So logic would dictate that by default, for now, they are excluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Something Else
    There is no proof that includes the parents. So logic would dictate that by default, for now, they are excluded.

you cannot rule anyone out until its proven they didnt or couldnt do it.

surely your more likely to know your attacker (intentional or otherwise)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement