Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Team Sky'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Bummer for Eddie Dunbar. Although.. he should be alright no matter what.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Either Thomas or Chris will jump, it really depends on their contracts and how much they can extract if they stay. Realistically, I imagine Geraint , if smart , will jump for the highest bidder. Froome is far less marketable and generally disliked, he will stay and collect his pay cheque. Probably in a few years when nothing else is happening, release a tell all book that paints Michelle as a hero and him a naive pawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

CramCycle wrote: »
    Froome is far less marketable and generally disliked.

While the non British amateur cycling fraternity generally dislike him I get the impression he is well enough liked in the pro peloton. Do correct me if I am wrong though. On the other hand I would guess that somebody like Wiggins who was well liked at the time by the public was always a little "difficult" amongst peers.

For those older folk who remember the days of snooker and Higgins/Davis duels, its fair to say Davis wasn't generally liked by the viewing public. But subsequently people realize he has plenty of personality and at the time his peers in snooker never had any problem with him. In this vase dull, stoic, boring and calculating during a match didn't mean he was the same outside of that environment.

I'd say Froome would have plenty of good offers if he decided to jump

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

While the non British amateur cycling fraternity generally dislike him I get the impression he is well enough liked in the pro peloton.
    Not so sure on that. Plenty willing to put the boot into him while the test fail was hanging over him, which is very unlike procycling.

He'll get a gig, if he wants it. Wouldn't be convinced he would go through the hassle at this stage of his career though. I'd expect most of the Tour squad to get sorted as well, as other teams will be trying to replicate the postal train.

While the non British amateur cycling fraternity generally dislike him I get the impression he is well enough liked in the pro peloton. Do correct me if I am wrong though. On the other hand I would guess that somebody like Wiggins who was well liked at the time by the public was always a little "difficult" amongst peers.
    I got the impression he was not well liked among his peers, and he just says he is in interviews to hide that, I too could be wrong.
    For those older folk who remember the days of snooker and Higgins/Davis duels, its fair to say Davis wasn't generally liked by the viewing public. But subsequently people realize he has plenty of personality and at the time his peers in snooker never had any problem with him. In this vase dull, stoic, boring and calculating during a match didn't mean he was the same outside of that environment.
    I never realised people didn't like him and I watched it alot as a kid, different perspectives I guess
    I'd say Froome would have plenty of good offers if he decided to jump
    He would but not quite as good as he might want. Considerign his Sky Paycheque is probably quite hefty, if its just the money, he may as well hang in to make hay while the sun shines and move after the team folds for less as I cannot see any team paying his current salary elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

You can talk about Froome and Thomas trying to get new teams all you want, but there are more attractive riders int eh squad that other teams will be looking for....

Dunbar has already been mentioned, but you have Bernal, Kwiatkowski, Kiryienka, De La Cruz, and Moscon, who I imagine other teams will be looking at......I suspect that these guys will be targeted rather than the high salary Froome and Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Moscon to QS seems like a good fit for me but they have had issues keeping higher salary riders this year.

The issue for riders will be the salary as Sky could be paying on the generous side for all riders on their books.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Purely due to his Kenyan Citizenship, they've some British Riders and me doing 2 + 2 = 5, Dimension Data and Froome could be a fit. He'd actually bring their average age down.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

Keeks wrote: »
    You can talk about Froome and Thomas trying to get new teams all you want, but there are more attractive riders int eh squad that other teams will be looking for....

Dunbar has already been mentioned, but you have Bernal, Kwiatkowski, Kiryienka, De La Cruz, and Moscon, who I imagine other teams will be looking at......I suspect that these guys will be targeted rather than the high salary Froome and Thomas.

Moscon is certainly not the most popular among his peers

You buy Froome or Thomas, even at a discount they'll be expensive. Do you have 7 riders that can support them over 3 weeks and win a GT??? You'd have to go all in and buy the support and not care about the green jersey or sprints , which would rule a few teams out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Thomas winning the BBC Sports personality of the year. Froome must be wondering what he's done if Somalian and Welsh man can win, why can't a Kenyan Zimbabwean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Hurrache wrote: »
    Thomas winning the BBC Sports personality of the year. Froome must be wondering what he's done if Somalian and Welsh man can win, why can't a Zimbabwean.

Zimbabwean..... Kenyan?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Lol, yes, you're correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Hurrache wrote: »
    Thomas winning the BBC Sports personality of the year. Froome must be wondering what he's done if Somalian and Welsh man can win, why can't a Kenyan Zimbabwean.

Froome was up against the public's favourite Mo Farah. This year's nominations were pathetic. Either give it to Hamilton again, which I think they should have, or give it to Thomas.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Froome was up against the public's favourite Mo Farah. This year's nominations were pathetic. Either give it to Hamilton again, which I think they should have, or give it to Thomas.

Lewis Hamilton has the personality of a spoilt child though. However that's off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Hoboo wrote: »
    Whatever about anything else, if you were picking just on personality I'd give it to Thomas over both Hamilton and Froome.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

He was a deserving winner, decent guy with some style and personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Barry Kane:D......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The Times headline, "Tour de force: cyclist beats Kane to BBC sports award" seems a little disrespectful to me. I don't know if "cyclist beats footballer" would be any better, but "Thomas beats Kane" definitely would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

dahat wrote: »
    8The issue for riders will be the salary as Sky could be paying on the generous side for all riders on their books.

It won't be that much of an issue if they want a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Torres09 wrote: »
    Barry Kane:D......

Some of the comments are magic

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Chemically powered team get chemical sponsor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

RobFowl wrote: »
    Chemically powered team get chemical sponsor
    Fun Fact
    Ineos developed and manufactured the propellant used in Ventolin Inhalers
    https://www.thepharmaletter.com/article/fda-approves-non-cfc-asthma-inhalers-using-zephex-134a

(The sold the rights to Zephex 134a later)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Weepsie wrote: »
    Lewis Hamilton has the personality of a spoilt child though. However that's off topic.

Thats giving him credit.
    Words dont exist to adequately describe how much I abhor him.

Guardian today says their budget will increase to 40million. That's about 10 million more than previous.!

They also said there were 4 interested groups in buying or sponsoring, but Brailsford didn't want a sponsor who might take some control away.

I suppose shaking off the tarnished image of Murdoch owned Sky is done by signing up with a fairly controversaial PetroChemical company, owned by a Brexiter who is a tax exile!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

So that's it,, Team Sky are no more from the 1st of May..

https://www.teamsky.com/article/team-sky-to-become-team-ineos

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Guardian today says their budget will increase to 40million. That's about 10 million more than previous.!

They also said there were 4 interested groups in buying or sponsoring, but Brailsford didn't want a sponsor who might take some control away.

I suppose shaking off the tarnished image of Murdoch owned Sky is done by signing up with a fairly controversaial PetroChemical company, owned by a Brexiter who is a tax exile!

Are their any insanely rich Brexiters who aren't tax exiles or moving their business interests abroad?

I'd support him if he dumped Brailsford

Advertisement