Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Team Sky'

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

CramCycle wrote:
    Are their any insanely rich Brexiters who aren't tax exiles or moving their business interests abroad?

Team Rees Mogg anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

rushfan wrote: »
    Team Rees Mogg anyone??
    Penny-farthings mandatory?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

rushfan wrote: »
    Team Rees Mogg anyone??

We all know that with the Britain first policy of Team Rees Mogg, they will only ever participate in three races:
    The Giro d'England, because England is always top of the list.
    The Tour de Scotland, where riders compete for the coveted yellow haggis, and the ceremonial last stage to Edinburgh sees the winning team share a bottle of scotch before falling over.
    The Vuelta a Cymru, characterised by short punchy stages, mostly involving summit finishes of Snowdonia

Northern Ireland will be mostly forgotten, sometimes being used for winter training.

I figure they'll try and fail to get invited to other races, as they'll refuse to do a deal with UCI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The title of this thread will have to be changed on 1st May

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sky-to-become-team-ineos-from-may-1/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I wonder what a team needs to do in order to stop getting ridiculously rich sponsors.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

For one years sponsorship he could keep the RAS going at full tilt for 100 years. Just to put it in perspective.

Interesting summary http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/a-brief-history-of-team-sky/

Despite the obvious it reminded me of a few things combined with procycling stats was that likes Eddie Boss and Ben Swift did very well in terms of results at sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

RobFowl wrote: »
    I wonder what a team needs to do in order to stop getting ridiculously rich sponsors.....

Stop winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Junior wrote: »
    Stop winning.

But then what would we do with all these inhalers?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Junior wrote: »
    Stop winning.

Dunno, didn't help Columbia/HTC and many others....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

RobFowl wrote: »

exactly, this has nothing to do with winning or not.

I'd put a lot of the blame for this on social media. Riders with a ridiculously high social media profile (due to past results, or in some cases, not), and who become popular as a result, seem to get contracts and sponsorship deals even though there's little prospect of them ever doing well.

having 100,000 instagram followers seems to count for more than a couple of wins, these days.

though that's a problem with cycling in general, not Sky specifically. Sky as an entity are still massively popular in the UK. As long as that remains the case, they'll always attract fools who have more money than sense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

From the print version of the Guardian, albeit paraphrased. It's not online for me to copy and paste

Ratcliffe grew up as a Manchester United fan, being from near the area. Later in life he switched allegiances to Chelsea, now a season ticket holder and has tried to buy them

Terrible type of football then!

Also, the Tour de Yorkshire goes by where he went to school. I wonder which of his new team will be sent there given it finishes only days before the Giro

Froome is currently listed for it, odd given Romandie is usually his gig that time of year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Froome is currently listed for it, odd given Romandie is usually his gig that time of year.

It's been upgraded this year to a HC status and a chance to do some recon riding of the World Championship routes which are in the area this year

Oh of course, I'd forgotten the worlds were there this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

The irony was pointed out on cyclingnews earlier in that in the Tour last year they had their Ocean Rescue jerseys on.

In kind of related news Direct Energie will be changing sponsor to Total, another fine company who are kind to the environment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The irony was pointed out on cyclingnews earlier in that in the Tour last year they had their Ocean Rescue jerseys on.

In kind of related news Direct Energie will be changing sponsor to Total, another fine company who are kind to the environment.

Is cycling just becoming the least ditch dump for companies and governments no other sport or mainstream advertising system would support? Between blatant human rights abusers, apartheid regimes, tax exiles and environmentally disastrous companies it feels like cycling is the last space these reprehensible bodies can have marketing exposure.
    They really need to sort out a more stable and sustainable structure for the sport. I haven'tthe slightest clue gore to go about that, but jaysus it needs to be done yesterday.

It's an odd one, you wonder what some... many of the headline sponsors get from it. I might buy a Bora cooker or a quickstep floor but I'd not be in the market for what Dimension Data , Katusha, Gasprom, insert 20 more sponsors here sell.

Though what they pay is chump change compared to what they earn , what google were fined today by the EU could fund the world tour for years and they'll barely miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

It's an odd one, you wonder what some... many of the headline sponsors get from it. I might buy a Bora cooker or a quickstep floor but I'd not be in the market for what Dimension Data , Katusha, Gasprom, insert 20 more sponsors here sell.

Though what they pay is chump change compared to what they earn , what google were fined today by the EU could fund the world tour for years and they'll barely miss it.

Alot of its corporate entertainment for those companies. They can bring clients to races and really get them involved on race day. Team car, team bus, sitting with riders etc. And it's a lot cheaper then buying a football team or F1 team

• Advertisement
Advertisement