Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wind / Rainfall Warning Mon 17th pm / Tues 18th am Dec 2018

• 17-12-2018 1:12am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Met Eireann

xSrEZYA.png

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Munster, Connacht and Donegal
    South to southeast winds will reach mean speed at times between 50 and 65km/h and gusts between 90 and 100 km/h. Winds may exceed these limits in coastal areas.

Issued: Sunday 16 December 2018 19:00

Updated: Sunday 16 December 2018 19:00

Valid from Monday 17 December 2018 13:00 to Tuesday 18 December 2018 04:00

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Leinster, Cavan and Monaghan
    South to southeast winds will reach mean speeds at times between 50 and 65km/h and gusts between 90 and 100 km/h. Winds may exceed these limits in coastal areas.

Issued: Sunday 16 December 2018 19:00

Updated: Sunday 16 December 2018 19:00

Valid from Monday 17 December 2018 19:00 to Tuesday 18 December 2018 09:00

nDbPeoA.png

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

People could experience higher wind speeds tomorrow night / early Tuesday morning than Sat just gone by. SW could get a fair clip of the wind for an hour or so around midnight, possibly gusting 100 to 110 km/h , with heavy driving rain thrown in the mix.

Fast moving but along Southern coasts going to experience fairly strong winds in the early hours and up along the E coast later, would think gusting up around 100 km/h on coasts easily, all gone through by around 8.00 or 9.00 , will be interesting to see what is recorded. The models should fare much better with a set up like this and they have been consistent over a number of runs now.

7asZbnK.gif

tempresult_twz6.gif

tempresult_osu8.gif

tempresult_lbm3.gif

b7GatlK.png

Mean Speeds

hirlamuk-3-29-0_ynj5.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

No rain warning up yet but sure to follow, ECM showing parts along Atlantic coastal counties getting 30mm approx in 12 hrs. Kerry and around Tralee looks to get around 35mm from the frontal rain from Mon evening to early Tues morning as does parts of the W. Good test of the ECM to see how it fares.

ZJQKy8Z.png

pioqtGv.png

8pHXaAu.png

Total Accumulation

1ou4WD5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Grateful as always for the alerts. Read it on met. ie and as I had an errand on foot at the other end of the island went at half light. Already very gusty. Would have niggled had I not done it; safe home!

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I am right in the middle of that orange blob on the total precipitation plot !!

Better go up and check those drains above the house today..

SB

600 ft ASL MacGillycuddy's Reeks - North of Sneem - Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Connacht, Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Donegal, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Tipperary and Waterford

Heavy rain will lead to accumulations of 25 to 40 mm, possibly higher on mountains. Flooding possible.

Issued: Monday 17 December 2018 09:00

Updated: Monday 17 December 2018 09:00

Valid from Monday 17 December 2018 19:00 to Tuesday 18 December 2018 07:00

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

The morning commute should be fun. Thought Dublin would have been included in the rain warning.

ukprec.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Cork forecast to gust to 53kts between 10pm and 4am.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

This might surprise a few between more heavy rainfall on top of flooded fields and high rivers along with high Gusts

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1074645169461444608

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Villain wrote: »
    This might surprise a few between more heavy rainfall on top of flooded fields and high rivers along with high Gusts

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1074645169461444608

Wouldn't surprise me. Deirdre in hindsight was nothing more than a very normal winter windy episode. Heavy rain in places but winds completely unremarkable. Met E could be left looking a tad silly if this unnamed storm produces stronger winds and potentially more disruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Why isn't this a named storm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Some strong gusts here in cork city, was doing exams and the hall roof sounded like it was going to blow off. Not very wet though thankfully.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Why isn't this a named storm?

Not expected to be a storm.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not expected to be a storm.

then or now? Some ferocious gusts

Is there anywhere I can get info please on wind speeds? May just e that today is from a dfferent direction but sounds and feels stronger. Cannot even get the door open now. Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Graces7 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I can get info please on wind speeds? May just e that today is from a dfferent direction but sounds and feels stronger. Cannot even get the door open now. Thank you

I suppose either Mace Head or Belmullet would give you an idea of them

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/observations

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Currently a south easterly in Castlebar and it was a south westerly on Saturday, it's got up to 78 km/hr so far today and Saturday was just 60 km/hr, I know your further west in the county but it should be similar in direction.

The winds really roaring in the mountains now.

Sustained winds, with some powerful slow gusts, the fires drawing nicely..

SB

Getting gusts up around 70 km/h here near Tralee in the last half hour . Mist , drizzle and light rain on and off, small amounts so far.

rafales_uk_xpv2.png

PbL0OmT.jpg

RwFf2MU.gif

SlowBlowin : should get very windy in S Kerry later tonight /early morning.

arpegeuk-11-13-0_awf0.png

Bit of a reprieve in Kerry regards rainfall perhaps,models showing most of the rainfall off the coast now, we will see. The W looks like getting the most rainfall.

aromehd-25-22-0_beg5.png

hirlamuk-25-23-0_gwq1.png

arpegeuk-25-22-0_gym3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

gusts up to nearly 40kts in Cork Airport. Branches blown off plenty of trees in my area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Deirdre was a rapidly deepening system with large uncertainty in its track. Deirdre had potential to be very nasty but luckily we didn’t catch it as looked possible 24 hours out.

This system is a well developed maturing low and it will bring a very windy night but it doesn’t have the potential to deliver damage as Deirdre might have.

Even if it brings gusts in excess of Deirdre it’s not possible to compare the two in such binary fashion

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Fastnet gusting 55kt (102km/h) now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Belmullet gusting to 94kmh on the 16:00 update.

Deirdre was a rapidly deepening system with large uncertainty in its track. Deirdre had potential to be very nasty but luckily we didn’t catch it as looked possible 24 hours out.

This system is a well developed maturing low and it will bring a very windy night but it doesn’t have the potential to deliver damage as Deirdre might have.

Even if it brings gusts in excess of Deirdre it’s not possible to compare the two in such binary fashion

Good/simple explanation there, for those that are wondering....

On Saturday afternoon, I saw gust of 143km/h at Fastnet and I believe Kinsale Energy Platform had gust of 148km/h.

Strongest winds for Deirdre were just off shore.

Given Deirdre was not there (anywhere) first thing Saturday, and only formed/developed (rapidly) on Saturday morning, Met E had to be cautious with warnings issued Friday evening, as potentially it could have been much more nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

www.ventusky.com

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Wind has gusted higher today here at my location in Kilkenny, than it did with Deirdre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Went for a run there and it's certainly windy and rainy :)
    Windier than Deirdre here and probably more rain too but overall not that bad. Kinda what you expect in December.
    (Galway)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Got blown backwards at the side of a shed @ 3.50. Serious gusts and torrential rain.

North Cork Limerick border.

Just lost a solar panel, snapped off the holding restraint. They have been up for 7 years, first time I have had issues. I imagine its just corrosion...

Average winds are well up in the last 30 minutes (roof is now creaking), gusts are slow and strong lasting about 10 seconds but not those sudden explosive gusts of storms past.

No really heavy rainfall yet, just normal levels.

Metorite58: Thanks for the info.

SB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Gust of 83.7km/hr, really starting to pick up.

Advertisement