Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Penalty for Refusing Jobpath

Options
  • 14-12-2018 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

I have been selected for the Atrocity known as Jobpath for the second time and I am considering refusing to participate. Has anyone here refused it before and if so how was their payment affected. DSP will not give a straight answer saying penalties are at the discretion of the Case Officer and can be anything from a reduction to complete cessation of payment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

You could get a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Mr.H wrote: »
    You could get a job

Then they'd win. OP wants to stick it to the man.

amcalester wrote:
    Then they'd win. OP wants to stick it to the man.

Oh in that case id say the op should go to the meeting. No way the case officer deserves to have to put up with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

You could get a job

Jaysus he'd have to get up in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

southstar wrote: »
    Jaysus he'd have to get up in the morning

But not too early. Not as early as those of us who go to work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

If anyone doesn't know, JobPath is a scheme for the long term unemployed. Basically it gives them a job, career plan, etc., to get back on their feet. It last 1 year and if you refuse to do it you can lose your dole.

If I was the OP I would just get a real job.

Why don't you get a job OP? (serious)

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    If anyone doesn't know, JobPath is a scheme for the long term unemployed. Basically it gives them a job, career plan, etc., to get back on their feet. It last 1 year and if you refuse to do it you can lose your dole.

If I was the OP I would just get a real job.

Why don't you get a job OP? (serious)

So is it like jobsbridge or an internship type thing?

If you are long term unemployed it doesn't sound like a bad idea. Do they pay less than minimum wage or something? surely some catch?

If you are long term unemployed it doesn't sound like a bad idea. Do they pay less than minimum wage or something? surely some catch?

No. They try to get long term unemployed people employable and employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

No it's like a careers class in secondary school.

GarIT wrote: »
    No it's like a careers class in secondary school.

And it lasts a year in the hope that they bore clients into submission!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

I am sure if OP could get a job he/she would..So in answer to the question if you refuse to go , although a second time seems ridiculous,they will be only too glad to cut your money off.

So like a guidance councilor? Ah I see. Forgive my ignorance. I remember when I was unemployed once upon a time (spent a couple of years in fact). It sucked big time. But I got a minimum wage job in retail. Standard 15-20 odd hours a week for Christmas. Worked my ass off and was kept on after Christmas. Then was made full time eventually leading to supervisor and onto assistant manager. In just over 12 months I went from long term unemployed to assistant manager in a retail chain. Sure it wasnt the most glamorous but blimey it felt amazing.

I worry for young men and women who are stuck in the unemployment mindset. Not wanting to work in just any job because they think the dole is better. Maybe a guidance councilor type is exactly what they need? I mean if youve been applying for jobs for (I assume longer than a year?) and not hearing anything back, then maybe you need help to get noticed.

And it lasts a year in the hope that they bore clients into submission!

submission? what happens if they submit?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

submission? what happens if they submit?

Submission with these parasites usually means to mentally degrade a person to such an extent that they refuse to attend or to sign their illegal contract thus causing payment being stopped. I had a brief experience with these people which ended when I found my own job.Somehow unknowns to me to this day they found out where I was working and kept harassing my employer for details on my new job, which didn't go down to well with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Thought Jobbridge was a thing of the pass?

Submission with these parasites usually means to mentally degrade a person to such an extent that they refuse to attend or to sign their illegal contract thus causing payment being stopped. I had a brief experience with these people which ended when I found my own job.Somehow unknowns to me to this day they found out where I was working and kept harassing my employer for details on my new job, which didn't go down to well with him.

Illegal contract?

I assume there must be a legal contract between them and the dole office? To help people to get jobs? Doesnt exactly sound dodge but I have no experience so I am just assuming

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Thought Jobbridge was a thing of the pass?

Thats what I thought but apparently not:confused:

Although this thing could be a whole new thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

They use your PPS number to see what employment you are registered for. No super sleuthing really. Employer could also just pass details on instead of being annoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Slorpo

It's not just long term unemployed, I know friends of friends that for lumped on it within 2 months of not having a job, like a lottery your name is pulled out of a hat.

Afaik it's a private English company, and if a person gets a job that company gets a bonus amount of money regardless if they helped at all.

You can imagine the stories coming out of it with that as it's basis. Good luck to anyone that's forced in with them. My brother and his friend both got put on it at different times, and they say they're only there to badger you, no help unless you never did the Junior certificate, very demeaning.

Ninthlife wrote: »
    They use your PPS number to see what employment you are registered for. No super sleuthing really. Employer could also just pass details on instead of being annoyed

Apparently they're after their bonus money. Hardly doing it for nothing. Another money making racket.

• Advertisement

Slorpo wrote: »
    It's not just long term unemployed, I know friends of friends that for lumped on it within 2 months of not having a job, like a lottery your name is pulled out of a hat.

Afaik it's a private English company, and if a person gets a job that company gets a bonus amount of money regardless if they helped at all.

You can imagine the stories coming out of it with that as it's basis. Good luck to anyone that's forced in with them. My brother and his friend both got put on it at different times, and they say they're only there to badger you, no help unless you never did the Junior certificate, very demeaning.

demeaning? surely not

Do hey do any good at all? I mean lets say for example you were finding it hard to get a job. Could they help at all?

There’s nothing demeaning in being helped find work. What IS demeaning is queuing up every week to collect your dole money in your local post Office.

Apparently they're after their bonus money. Hardly doing it for nothing. Another money making racket.

Are they on commission as well?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

king2 wrote: »
    I have been selected for the Atrocity known as Jobpath for the second time and I am considering refusing to participate. Has anyone here refused it before and if so how was their payment affected. DSP will not give a straight answer saying penalties are at the discretion of the Case Officer and can be anything from a reduction to complete cessation of payment.

You have been selected for the second time. I can only assume that you have been out of work for 4 or 5 years at least.

What area have you worked in before?

Have you any qualifications relevant to the workplace?

What area of work would you like to do.

If you answer these, people here may be able to help you get a job thus negating the need to go on Jobpath.

demeaning? surely not

Do hey do any good at all? I mean lets say for example you were finding it hard to get a job. Could they help at all?

Don't know so much about his friend, but my brother has a college degree and good work experience. He said it boiled down to being given a work sheet to fill in, what he applied for and when and where, then he was constantly being asked why he hasn't landed a job yet.

They also reworked his cv (I did it in the end, they turned it from something good into bad, spelling mistakes and all). Bear in mind, the qualifications to work for them is leaving certificate.

And that's it. Basically nothing else came out of it for 3 or 4 months, he dreaded going into place as they were doing nothing but badgering him about something he was already doing. It's really aimed at people with no education, so if you do have an education it's insulting, telling him to make sure to wear appropriate clothing to interviews etc like as if he's a teenager (he was late 20's at the time) He got his own job in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

There’s nothing demeaning in being helped find work. What IS demeaning is queuing up every week to collect your dole money in your local post Office.

You can get it paid directly into your bank....no queuing necessary.

Don't know so much about his friend, but my brother has a college degree and good work experience. He said it boiled down to being given a work sheet to fill in, what he applied for and when and where, then he was constantly being asked why he hasn't landed a job yet.

They also reworked his cv (I did it in the end, they turned it from something good into bad, spelling mistakes and all). Bear in mind, the qualifications to work for them is leaving certificate.

And that's it. Basically nothing else came out of it for 3 or 4 months, he dreaded going into place as they were doing nothing but badgering him about something he was already doing. It's really aimed at people with no education, so if you do have an education it's insulting, telling him to make sure to wear appropriate clothing to interviews etc like as if he's a teenager (he was late 20's at the time) He got his own job in the end.

I take your word for it (bearing in mind you are a fresh account so could be anyone including he op)

But what college degree does your brother have that was difficult to get something from? Most colleges help you to go straight into a job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Ginger83 wrote: »
    You can get it paid directly into your bank....no queuing necessary.

don,t think so,the stopped that years ago due to the foreigners going home and coming back once a month to sign and collecting there money in bank.the only had to be in the country once a moth and that was to sign on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

bassy wrote: »
    don,t think so,the stopped that years ago due to the foreigners going home and coming back once a month to sign and collecting there money in bank.the only had to be in the country once a moth and that was to sign on.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/claiming_a_social_welfare_payment/replacing_a_social_welfare_payment_book_or_social_services_card.html

• Advertisement

jimd2 wrote: »
    You have been selected for the second time. I can only assume that you have been out of work for 4 or 5 years at least.

What area have you worked in before?

Have you any qualifications relevant to the workplace?

What area of work would you like to do.

If you answer these, people here may be able to help you get a job thus negating the need to go on Jobpath.

My brother was out of work about 2 months I think when he was selected. He was told that it lasts 12 months, but it doesn't matter if you get a job in the meantime as it only delays the 12 months.

Example you're on the scheme for 2 months and then get a job. Say a year later you lose the job, it's straight back on the scheme for the remaining 10 months. And it'd not limited to 12 months, you can simply be put straight back on for another 12 months.

He was bulling about it and I could see why.

Advertisement