Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penalty for Refusing Jobpath

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

It's not as simple as that, many employers will not take on somebody they deem overqualified even if that person is wiling do so the job as they feel the person wil move on as soon as something better turns up.

Are you saying this out of experience? Because in my humble experience that is wrong. I was hiring people in my last job. The last thing i cared about was people being over qualified. Its retail ffs. I dont expect people to stay there forever. The problem is some think the job is beneath them so prefer to take from the tax payer and sit at home waiting for a job to come to them.
    People not wanting to work in certain locations is totally logical imo if they can't afford to. Anyone from outside of Dublin at the minute for eg would need to be offered one heck of a salary to be able to afford to move there and pay rent. It accounts for a lot of the shortages in low-paid jobs, for eg care-staff and even substitute teachers.

Who said anything about moving to dublin? There are jobs all over. Most of the shops in cork and limericks big shopping centers were taking on Christmas staff for example. Do you think they would turn down over qualified people in case they left? Come on get serious.

The problem is a person with an engineering degree thinks that retail is below them and they would rather wait for the engineering job and freeload from the state. Instead of working an actual job until they get their dream role.

No excuse for lazy people.

A friend of mine has a shop in cork city centre that was looking for 5 people to work between the deli and floor. He received 20 cv's. The jobs were advertised heavily. But its great that there is only 20 unemployed people in cork i guess. But im sure youll come up with some excuse for the poor soul that is waiting to use his or her arts degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

It's a mad situation. Some people unemployed and then my employer needs to look abroad to find people.

The issue is a skills gap. Unskilled people are at a disadvantage unless they upskill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I've been called to go next week. I work part time at the moment because it's seasonal work, so will be working full time when the season comes back around. To be honest, reading some of the experiences of JobPath, I'm very worried about going. If I could find work on a Wednesday and Thursday until May, then I would be there in a shot as I hate the fact I have anything to do with SW and I hate people like the people on this thread that make you feel like dirt for availing of SW. I hate standing beside someone talking about lazy, good for nothing scroungers while swaying on my feet from tiredness because I also volunteer and study for a postgrad part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I've been called to go next week. I work part time at the moment because it's seasonal work, so will be working full time when the season comes back around. To be honest, reading some of the experiences of JobPath, I'm very worried about going. If I could find work on a Wednesday and Thursday until May, then I would be there in a shot as I hate the fact I have anything to do with SW and I hate people like the people on this thread that make you feel like dirt for availing of SW. I hate standing beside someone talking about lazy, good for nothing scroungers while swaying on my feet from tiredness because I also volunteer and study for a postgrad part time.

You chose to study for a part time post grad and you choose to volunteer so you are not available for full time work nor are you looking for full time work so you are actually ineligible for a Jobseekers payment as you don’t meet the criteria.
    Your lifestyle choices are your own and, honestly, the taxpayer really shouldn’t be propping you up.

splinter65 wrote: »
    You chose to study for a part time post grad and you choose to volunteer so you are not available for full time work nor are you looking for full time work so you are actually ineligible for a Jobseekers payment as you don’t meet the criteria.
    Your lifestyle choices are your own and, honestly, the taxpayer really shouldn’t be propping you up.

Exactly

Boo hoo. You volunteer so what? you are doing a post grad fair play. But if you are on Job seekers allowance you are saying you are looking for a full time job. If you are not looking for a full time job you are a freeloader.

What do you expect? Should I be able to leave my job in the morning and just spend my days on social welfare just because I dont want to work in retail?

My guess would be you are happy doing part time because of your post grad. I highly doubt youd want full time even if it was offered to you as you wouldnt have time to do your post grad. If I was in charge you would be entitled to nothing.

Exactly the attitude I was talking about. No wonder we have trouble hiring people when they have this lazy entitled attitude.

• Advertisement

What are you talking about? My part time study fits around a full time job. My volunteering also fits around a full time job but since I don't have one right now, it's taking up more time. However, it dismisses the whole "lazy" angle. The SW office made me jump through hoops until they were satisfied I am eligible and I get my eligibility tested on a regular basis. Did you miss the bit where I said if I find a second job until the season starts, I would jump at it? So how would that mean I'm not looking for full time work? Who are you to decide that I'm suddenly not eligible?

Also, what lifestyle choices? I pay tax through my part time job, and my postgrad will lead me to a job where I will be pay a rather large amount of taxes as it leads to a rather well paying job. I am also on a casual signing docket so the vast majority of the time, I get nothing. The very odd time, I might get €15. The very very odd weekend where there is simply no hours available, I get €107.

What an ignorant post...

Mr.H wrote: »
    Exactly

Boo hoo. You volunteer so what? you are doing a post grad fair play. But if you are on Job seekers allowance you are saying you are looking for a full time job. If you are not looking for a full time job you are a freeloader.

What do you expect? Should I be able to leave my job in the morning and just spend my days on social welfare just because I dont want to work in retail?

My guess would be you are happy doing part time because of your post grad. I highly doubt youd want full time even if it was offered to you as you wouldnt have time to do your post grad. If I was in charge you would be entitled to nothing.

Exactly the attitude I was talking about. No wonder we have trouble hiring people when they have this lazy entitled attitude.

Did you even read my post?

Did you even read my post?

I did. All I see is a typical millennial attitude of excuses.

You are talking about taxes you pay with your PT job............. you pay very little if any taxes buddy if your working that little. Then talking about your future earnings............ that is fiction. It easy to talk about what you might be paying in the future. Your not paying it now and it doesnt exist yet therefore its not real.

As for your "volunteer" work. Why should we all be paying you to go work for free?

I love the way everyone is talking about this company job path stealing from the tax payer and ignoring the people stealing from the state by refusing to get a job or interact with a company trying to help them because "we can get a job anytime we want". Just ignore the fact that they are jobless for at least 4 years now (eh OP).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

What are you talking about? My part time study fits around a full time job. My volunteering also fits around a full time job but since I don't have one right now, it's taking up more time. However, it dismisses the whole "lazy" angle. The SW office made me jump through hoops until they were satisfied I am eligible and I get my eligibility tested on a regular basis. Did you miss the bit where I said if I find a second job until the season starts, I would jump at it? So how would that mean I'm not looking for full time work? Who are you to decide that I'm suddenly not eligible?

Also, what lifestyle choices? I pay tax through my part time job, and my postgrad will lead me to a job where I will be pay a rather large amount of taxes as it leads to a rather well paying job. I am also on a casual signing docket so the vast majority of the time, I get nothing. The very odd time, I might get €15. The very very odd weekend where there is simply no hours available, I get €107.

What an ignorant post...

So if Jobpath send you to an interview for a full time 39 hour per week job next week you are available to start that job the following Monday morning?
    You are being referred to Jobpath because you are unsuccessful so far in your efforts securing a full time job.
    You are angry because you felt that SW had agreed that you could have your choice to be a part time student part time volunteer partime worker and be propped up financially by the state in these choices.
    But now it seems they don’t agree at all and this has irritated you, so when I point that out to you, I’m ignorant.
    Best of luck telling jobpath that if you get something that fits in with your busy schedule you’ll jump at it.
    Come back and let us know how you get on.

You are talking about taxes you pay with your PT job............. you pay very little if any taxes buddy if your working that little. Then talking about your future earnings............ that is fiction. It easy to talk about what you might be paying in the future. Your not paying it now and it doesnt exist yet therefore its not real.

As for your "volunteer" work. Why should we all be paying you to go work for free?

I love the way everyone is talking about this company job path stealing from the tax payer and ignoring the people stealing from the state by refusing to get a job or interact with a company trying to help them because "we can get a job anytime we want". Just ignore the fact that they are jobless for at least 4 years now (eh OP).

Great, so you seen where it says it's a seasonal job and that I work full time for the season? And you seen where I said I would jump at the chance at getting 2 more days to bring me up to full time?

I already know what I'm going to earn, since I have a job lined up.

You are not paying me to work for free. That's not how it works. Did you also miss the bit where I said it's rare I get anything at all?

I love the way you've actually made up a load of things, and made huge assumptions that aren't true, and then got offended by it... even though it's not true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Bull. I said it already that I was unemployed for a long time. I was just going about my job search wrong. If someone is failing to find work then they need help!

Nope, I'm not buying your nonsense. You literally said that people 'don't want to work'. That is absolutely not the same as saying that they need help finding work.

So if Jobpath send you to an interview for a full time 39 hour per week job next week you are available to start that job the following Monday morning?
    You are being referred to Jobpath because you are unsuccessful so far in your efforts securing a full time job.
    You are angry because you felt that SW had agreed that you could have your choice to be a part time student part time volunteer partime worker and be propped up financially by the state in these choices.
    But now it seems they don’t agree at all and this has irritated you, so when I point that out to you, I’m ignorant.
    Best of luck telling jobpath that if you get something that fits in with your busy schedule you’ll jump at it.
    Come back and let us know how you get on.

I'd have to give my current job two weeks notice to do so.

Where did I say I was angry? Again, you missed the bit where I said it's seasonal job so I work full time for most of the year, so no, it's not my choice to be a part time worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

What are you on about? how do you know the age of the poster? you are just making blindly ignorant assumptions to fit your world view that welfare is bad.

The state should be supporting people trying to better themselves, not throwing away money to private multinational companies to hinder them, which is what Jobpath essentially is. I'd rather the €84m of taxpayer money given to Jobpath to be spent on something useful like more training opportunities for those in receipt of social welfare.

Great, so you seen where it says it's a seasonal job and that I work full time for the season? And you seen where I said I would jump at the chance at getting 2 more days to bring me up to full time?

I already know what I'm going to earn, since I have a job lined up.

You are not paying me to work for free. That's not how it works. Did you also miss the bit where I said it's rare I get anything at all?

I love the way you've actually made up a load of things, and made huge assumptions that aren't true, and then got offended by it... even though it's not true.

Well done that you have a job lined up. I mean that.

But in terms of looking for full time right now you say you would be happy to do it so why are you annoyed at being referred to a company who will literally help you to do that? This is the reason I find it hard to believe you are happy to get a ft job.

If I offered you a ft job or even a pt job for 3 days a week to add to your existing job, I would guess you wouldnt take it and find any excuse in the world not to take it.

The seasonal work is handy because at least youll get cash for a few weeks and then back to extra time for yourself.

I am sincere in my congrats on having a job lined up though when your finished college.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

What an ignorant post...
    . It was indeed , try to ignore these self righteous types,Boards is full of them.. SW is there for every citizen, some day we will all need to avail of it one way or another.

Nope, I'm not buying your nonsense. You literally said that people 'don't want to work'. That is absolutely not the same as saying that they need help finding work.

So your telling me that there are no people claiming from the state that dont want to work?

Jesus we have seen in this thread people crying about being pushed into any job at all even though they have been unemployed awhile before even being referred to this job path thing.

There are two types of people that are long term unemployed
    • lazy wasters who dont want to work
    • people who are having bad luck looking for a job

Surely this job path thing is a good thing for both of these.

If you can get a job by yourself then why dont you? Then you wouldnt have to go on these schemes

Mr.H wrote:
    But in terms of looking for full time right now you say you would be happy to do it so why are you annoyed at being referred to a company who will literally help you to do that? This is the reason I find it hard to believe you are happy to get a ft job.

Research Jobpath. They have seemed to consistently cause more bother than good and have actually prevented people getting a job in the past. I'm also worried they would harass my current employer when I go back to full time as there have been many many reports of them doing this.
    Mr.H wrote:
    If I offered you a ft job or even a pt job for 3 days a week to add to your existing job, I would guess you wouldnt take it and find any excuse in the world not to take it.

Then you would be wrong. Also, I work 3 days most of the time so two days will bring me up to full time. How many times do I have to say it?

What are you on about? how do you know the age of the poster? you are just making blindly ignorant assumptions to fit your world view that welfare is bad.

The state should be supporting people trying to better themselves, not throwing away money to private multinational companies to hinder them, which is what Jobpath essentially is. I'd rather the €84m of taxpayer money given to Jobpath to be spent on something useful like more training opportunities for those in receipt of social welfare.

hinder them how exactly? getting them a job when they cant find one? those sneaky flippers

support people trying to better themselves?
    job seekers allowance............. it is an allowance given to people seeking a job. If you are not seeking a job you shouldnt be receiving this.

I might be wrong but I highly doubt people on back to education allowance are on this scheme.

If you are telling the social welfare that you are looking for work in return for money then they have every right to send you to a company to help you get a job

Mr.H wrote:
    I might be wrong but I highly doubt people on back to education allowance are on this scheme.

I don't qualify for the back to education allowance.

Research Jobpath. They have seemed to consistently cause more bother than good and have actually prevented people getting a job in the past. I'm also worried they would harass my current employer when I go back to full time as there have been many many reports of them doing this.

Then you would be wrong. Also, I work 3 days most of the time so two days will bring me up to full time. How many times do I have to say it?

I see a lot of people claiming rubbish about them. Harassing your employer? how exactly? What would they do? prank calls, pooh in a bag of fire? Loads of people say their employer is being harassed but I cant see anyone saying how exactly.

If you would take the extra days what exactly are you annoyed about going to jobpath then? surely they will help you?

• Advertisement

Mr.H wrote:
    I see a lot of people claiming rubbish about them. Harassing your employer? how exactly? What would they do? prank calls, pooh in a bag of fire? Loads of people say their employer is being harassed but I cant see anyone saying how exactly.

Constantly ringing them.
    Mr.H wrote:
    If you would take the extra days what exactly are you annoyed about going to jobpath then? surely they will help you?

As I said, from what I've researched about them, they seem to hinder more than help. Their success rate is only about 18% and much of that is from said harassment of both employer and employee to get then to say they set up the job, even if they didn't.

So your telling me that there are no people claiming from the state that dont want to work?

Jesus we have seen in this thread people crying about being pushed into any job at all even though they have been unemployed awhile before even being referred to this job path thing.

There are two types of people that are long term unemployed
    • lazy wasters who dont want to work
    • people who are having bad luck looking for a job

Surely this job path thing is a good thing for both of these.

If you can get a job by yourself then why dont you? Then you wouldnt have to go on these schemes

Perhaps you might roll back on this spurious claim:
    Loads of jobs out there. Just people not wanting to work

I don't qualify for the back to education allowance.

Ok I dont know social welfare stuff but did assume since you are being sent there. You are still on job seekers allowance I assume? That means the social welfare are trying to help you seek a full time job. I know that sounds like I am simplifying something but thats because its that simple.

Look buddy just go to your job path thing and tell them your situation. I am sure they wont force you to move county or drop out of your studies or force you to do anything unreasonable. I very much do not believe all the rubbish puked around here about this job path thing.

While you may be genuine, a lot around here are not.

Constantly ringing them.

As I said, from what I've researched about them, they seem to hinder more than help. Their success rate is only about 18% and much of that is from said harassment of both employer and employee to get then to say they set up the job, even if they didn't.

Why are they ringing them? Even if they are I fail to see that as harassment. Big claim. I am an employer and if someone rang me to ask if so and so is working for me I would just answer. I dont think I would feel harassed in any way.

Who cares if they set it up or not? If they were helping me even as little as with cv's then what do I care if they "set up" the job or not? Why would I give a toss. I would have a job.

18% of people referred to them have long term jobs. Is that not good considering the amount of rubbish that is talked about them and the amount of people dodging work

Mr.H wrote:
    Look buddy just go to your job path thing and tell them your situation. I am sure they wont force you to move county or drop out of your studies or force you to do anything unreasonable. I very much do not believe all the rubbish puked around here about this job path thing.

I'm not basing it on just claims from here, but apparently there have been cases where people have been told to stop doing whatever course they are on because it hasn't been set up by JobPath. There have also apparently been a case where a fireman was told he had to stop. Maybe not true, but given the sheer volume of negative feedback, all with the same manner of complaints, and coupled with the very very tiny success rate, I think I'm right to be worried about it.

Perhaps you might roll back on this spurious claim:

You mean that fact? Are you saying there is nobody unemployed who doesnt want to work?

I'm not basing it on just claims from here, but apparently there have been cases where people have been told to stop doing whatever course they are on because it hasn't been set up by JobPath. There have also apparently been a case where a fireman was told he had to stop. Maybe not true, but given the sheer volume of negative feedback, all with the same manner of complaints, and coupled with the very very tiny success rate, I think I'm right to be worried about it.

told to stop being a fireman? a full time job? really? I doubt that unless it was a non paying role.

As for courses. The same I really cant see any of that being true unless it is a course in time travel and means the person cant get a job because it interferes with their course.

I mean come on you seem like a bright person. You dont really believe that stuff do you?

Dont be worried about it as you sound like you have nothing to worry about. You have a full time job I assume next septemberish? You are doing x's and o's and very rarely dont have less than 3/4 days. You sound like you have nothing to worry about. Just tell them what kind of work youd like and see if they can help boost your hours. Hell if they do talk to employers they might be able to help get you more hours?

You mean that fact? Are you saying there is nobody unemployed who doesnt want to work?

You said there are "loads of jobs out there" and followed it up with the implication that anyone who can't find one just "doesn't want to work".

Mr.H wrote:
    told to stop being a fireman? a full time job? really? I doubt that unless it was a non paying role.

Many firemen are not full time. They work when they're called upon but most have other jobs that are obliged to let them leave.
    Mr.H wrote:
    I mean come on you seem like a bright person. You dont really believe that stuff do you?

When there's that many complaints? It's hard to be dismissed

• Advertisement

You said there are "loads of jobs out there" and followed it up with the implication that anyone who can't find one just "doesn't want to work".

I said a lot of jobs out there which is fact

I also implied a lot of unemployed people just dont want to work which is fact

Advertisement