Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

I'm fairly sure it's one type of laser for phats and one for slims

• Registered Users Posts: 34,483 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Finally got the harddrive working with the Wii! Seems I was using an old outdated cIOS. Updated to the below and the harddrive now reads every time and the games boot without any issues at all;

By default, the cIOs used by loaders is slot 249.
    In that slot, you should have d2x cIOS v10 (beta52 or 53) with base 56.
    if it's not the case, try to reinstall d2x cIOS, or try another slot in the settings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm fairly sure it's one type of laser for phats and one for slims

Excellent... Now, where's Kerbdog at....

o1s1n wrote: »
    Finally got the harddrive working with the Wii! Seems I was using an old outdated cIOS. Updated to the below and the harddrive now reads every time and the games boot without any issues at all;

By default, the cIOs used by loaders is slot 249.
    In that slot, you should have d2x cIOS v10 (beta52 or 53) with base 56.
    if it's not the case, try to reinstall d2x cIOS, or try another slot in the settings.

And so ends one of the greatest sagas the A&R forum has ever seen.
    Glad it's finally sorted

Master of the Universe

And so ends one of the greatest sagas the A&R forum has ever seen.
    Glad it's finally sorted

I honestly don't know what I'm going to do with my life now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

any Naomi users with a PC connected up? Seems that a JVS-PAC or JVStrike device is needed but both are sold out and out of production.

A JVS-PAC2 is in development but doesn't look like it's coming any time soon.

I wonder is that what everyone here is using or are there alternatives for this? Maybe someone has developed a USB driver so the usb cable from the I/O board can plug into the PC directly? That would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

any Naomi users with a PC connected up? Seems that a JVS-PAC or JVStrike device is needed but both are sold out and out of production.

A JVS-PAC2 is in development but doesn't look like it's coming any time soon.

I wonder is that what everyone here is using or are there alternatives for this? Maybe someone has developed a USB driver so the usb cable from the I/O board can plug into the PC directly? That would be great!

Its not USB, it uses a USB connector but is a propriety serial interface and can cause damage if plugged into a PC.

Do you plan on using the Naomi stuff much ? If not then wire the CP into a minipac and into the PC, with VGA output set at 640x480 it'll work fine with the the Naomi monitor.

Thanks for that. I might go that route even temporarily until the JVS-PAC2 is out.

Ideally I'd like to keep the cab stock as there is a naomi2 system here. CPU/GPU Fans wont spin on the Naomi board even if I use my finger. Waiting on new fans to arrive.

Minipac would do the job to at least get it assembled and working for now. I plan on stripping it down for a full restore in the new year.

There was someone writing a jvs i/o emulator for pi, very nice project but not sure if it has been completed. Maybe put up a wanted thread across the road for a jvspac I've seen a couple come up for sale, alternatively you'll have to wire directly to minipac but really naomi is very easy to setup with a pc. Surprised the naomi mobo is working if fans are shot. Gpu fan going has killed a few on me quickly

will try that too. The naomi is not working at all yet, just the case fan and leds are on but black screen. The service manual says it wont work if the cpu/gpu fans don't spin so I'm hoping it's just the fans that are gone. It cost €60 for new fans from Bürklin in Germany.

• Advertisement

will try that too. The naomi is not working at all yet, just the case fan and leds are on but black screen. The service manual says it wont work if the cpu/gpu fans don't spin so I'm hoping it's just the fans that are gone. It cost €60 for new fans from Bürklin in Germany.

You could probably have gotten a new naomi 1 for 60, sometimes the gpu can burn out if fan goes.. Either ways hopefully your lucky.. If not give me a shout I have a load of spare naomis knocking around

Master of the Universe

Any of you guys ever had an issue with a Western Digital passport drive making a clicking noise when a Wii is on standby?

I'm guessing because the console is on standby, the harddrive isn't getting enough power (hence the click warning)

However I would have thought the HDD would stay in standby mode until the console powers up?

All works grand. Just means I've to disconnect the HDD when it's not in use as the clicking gets really annoying. Also even weirder, it's only started happening as of yesterday.

clicking could also mean the drive is on the way out. Try running the WD health check tool on it and get it replaced under warranty if it's faulty:
    https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3&lang=en

Master of the Universe

clicking could also mean the drive is on the way out. Try running the WD health check tool on it and get it replaced under warranty if it's faulty:
    https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3&lang=en

Thanks, I'll give that a go. Brand new drive and I've been slowly loading 100 games onto it. Be a right pain if it was toast.

Clicking completely stops once the Wii is on and games are running 100% so hopefully it's just the Wii standby power not being enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭Inviere

Thanks, I'll give that a go. Brand new drive and I've been slowly loading 100 games onto it. Be a right pain if it was toast.

Clicking completely stops once the Wii is on and games are running 100% so hopefully it's just the Wii standby power not being enough.

Those Passport drives, to the best of my knowledge, don't shutdown when a console turns off. I see one regularly connected to an Xbox One, and even if the console is fully off, the drive's light will pulse on and off (drive seems to standby, but doesn't shut down)

Master of the Universe

After reading around, I think I may have figured it out. The last few times I switched the Wii off using the Wiimote, which puts it into standby mode rather than turning it off (so orange light rather than red)

This provides power out of the USB ports which keeps the Harddrive active.

After reading around, I think I may have figured it out. The last few times I switched the Wii off using the Wiimote, which puts it into standby mode rather than turning it off (so orange light rather than red)

This provides power out of the USB ports which keeps the Harddrive active.

Ah, it was always best practice to turn off the standby feature incase it updated the firmware while in standby. Not a concern nowadays, but I think that can be disabled, allowing you to shutdown with the Wiimote.

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    Ah, it was always best practice to turn off the standby feature incase it updated the firmware while in standby. Not a concern nowadays, but I think that can be disabled, allowing you to shutdown with the Wiimote.

I didn't even know the Wii had a standby mode :o - will be switching that off when I get home!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Doge

I've been looking into using Wii motion controllers with Dolphin emulator on the PC last night.
    Just need to get a usb powered sensor bar and apparently its best to use a Wii Bluetooth module that needs a bit of DIY to get it to work with USB, it can be used in Bluetooth passthrough mode where as normal bluetooth adapters have issues.

Doge wrote: »
    I've been looking into using Wii motion controllers with Dolphin emulator on the PC last night.
    Just need to get a usb powered sensor bar and apparently its best to use a Wii Bluetooth module that needs a bit of DIY to get it to work with USB, it can be used in Bluetooth passthrough mode where as normal bluetooth adapters have issues.

I done it a few months back - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106599223 (pics gone :()

It's an incredible solution, proper 1:1 Wii controls, sound from the WiiMote etc, zero lag...works brilliantly

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »

I used a battery powered sensor bar for that, worked a treat.

Master of the Universe

Any of you guys ever had an issue with a Western Digital passport drive making a clicking noise when a Wii is on standby?

I'm guessing because the console is on standby, the harddrive isn't getting enough power (hence the click warning)

However I would have thought the HDD would stay in standby mode until the console powers up?

All works grand. Just means I've to disconnect the HDD when it's not in use as the clicking gets really annoying. Also even weirder, it's only started happening as of yesterday.

Just for posterity sake in case anyone else has this issue, it was indeed standby mode.

Used a regular shut down to red light and no more ticking.

Master of the Universe

Had a tired GameCube controller with a dodgy analogue stick and worn buttons. Up wouldn't work properly. Only one I actually have!

Also had an unused crappy clone controller with some dodgy sticky buttons but a perfect analogue stick.

Transplanted the PCB from the dodgy clone into the GameCube pad and selected the best of the gel buttons - result! Feels like a new pad. Was worried the clone PCB response might be ****e but it's perfect.

Back to Resident Evil 0 I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Had a tired GameCube controller with a dodgy analogue stick and worn buttons. Up wouldn't work properly. Only one I actually have!

Also had an unused crappy clone controller with some dodgy sticky buttons but a perfect analogue stick.

Transplanted the PCB from the dodgy clone into the GameCube pad and selected the best of the gel buttons - result! Feels like a new pad. Was worried the clone PCB response might be ****e but it's perfect.

Back to Resident Evil 0 I go.

Nice work, i did the same with my two PS3 controllers, different result, now both are in pieces, the triggers are impossible to get back working correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

eddhorse wrote: »
    Nice work, i did the same with my two PS3 controllers, different result, now both are in pieces, the triggers are impossible to get back working correctly.

They are fiddly buggers alright, changed the batteries on mine and took ages to get back together properly :mad:

Master of the Universe

Some of those mechanisms almost seem as if they can only be assembled by shrinking yourself down Innerspace style and doing so from within the controller :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Any recommendations on getting my arcade monitor repaired. I reckon it just needs a cap kit. Which I have bought but don't think I'd manage it myself.

L1m1tless wrote: »
    Any recommendations on getting my arcade monitor repaired. I reckon it just needs a cap kit. Which I have bought but don't think I'd manage it myself.

I thought your mate Tony was an Arcade god?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

I just asked a question. No need to be a dick. Short memory too after I gave you a free street fighter PCB earlier this year.

• Advertisement

L1m1tless wrote: »
    I just asked a question. No need to be a dick. Short memory too after I gave you a free street fighter PCB earlier this year.

Ah now I was (and am) very grateful for that!
    If you want to post me up the chassis and cap kit I'd gladly do it for you.
    Consider it a trade for the SF?

Advertisement