Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurgency Sandstorm

Options
  • 23-06-2018 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Anyone been following this or thinking about playing it?

Im a big fan of the original Insurgency and really looking forward to this new updated game on the Unreal 4 Engine. Its out on the PC in September 2018 and due to come out on PS4 & XB1 in early 2019.

Below is their official E3 Trailer which is kind of meh.

They decided to park the single player campaign for now to allow them focus on multiplayer and balance as that is the core focus of the current insurgency player base. However this will have a great Co-Op game mode with some very hard AI and varying objectives throughout a map.

I have 1300 hours in the original Insurgency and played competitive leagues for a few years and its a great community so if anyone is looking for that is usually in a 5 vs 5 game mode called Firefight. Im an old school R6 player from Original Rainbow 6, Eagle Watch, Rogue Spear, RavenShield until the franchise went to **** under Ubisoft, so this is the type of game that has similar lethal game play that has been missing from the FPS market for a few years IMO.

Some of their game sponsors / streamers got some hands on at E3 and have given their initial thoughts. There is some great game play of the Co-Op mode but nothing of online play just yet.

LevelCap

JackFrags

Below is a breakdown of what is known / confirmed about the game, price points and other general information. They haven't released Minimum specs yet but its expected in the next week or two.
    Release date: 2018 September for Windows, Mac/Linux coming later. PS4 & XB1 Early 2019.

Price: $30 with a 10% discount for people who already own insurgency, 10% off for pre-order. These discounts stack for a total of 20% off if you do both. Pre-order includes beta access.

No direct ports of old maps, but new maps may be "inspired" by existing Insurgency maps

Game Modes: Firefight, Capture the Base, Push (PvP) - Checkpoint (Co-op) at launch. Other modes to follow post-release.

Maps will be larger compared to Source, but 5v5 Firefight will utilize a smaller playable area on these maps to better suit the mode.

No cross-play between PC & consoles.

New Features
    Gun stats on loadout menu.
    Ballistics that model bullet drop & travel time
    Hybrid hitscan & projectile based system - hitscan for CQB, projectiles for further out
    Dismemberment
    Cosmetics, unlocked by ranks and in game currency. Not purchasable with IRL money.
    Fire support- Similar to Day Of Infamy

New game modes: Operations for Co-op and Capture the Base for PvP
    Doors, door breaching, Vaulting

New Weapons: MP7, Uzi, G36K, M24, PKM, G17, remington m24 (replacing m40a1) SVD, L85, m870, sig p226 and possibly more.

Staged reload system. Drive able vehicles equipped with light weight weapons. No tanks or other armored fighting vehicles.
    Matchmaking/Competitive support
    6.5K Voiceover lines
    Can throw nades back.

Be great to see a few Competitive Irish Teams or players!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Yeah I have it pre ordered, loved the 1st one hated that they released a mod as a standalone game (day of infamy)

But lkooking forward to this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Yeah I have it pre ordered, loved the 1st one hated that they released a mod as a standalone game (day of infamy)

But lkooking forward to this anyway.

Ah excellent same as myself. Ye i tried DOI when it was a mod and seen they then released as a full title. Seems to have a lot of support in its own right which was odd to see so many into it.

Did you play any of the competitive games. Fair few players around the EU that still play insurgency especially in the UK.

Beta is live now 36Gb if you have it pre ordered it on Steam.

I hope the in game voices are place holders as they are literal copy and paste from the 1st one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Not my type of game ultimately, but I love what they're trying to do with sound in the game;

It's a hugely neglected element in game design, and I hope other devs take note and follow suit.

2nd beta back on now until the games release on sept 14th and it runs quite well, 60 fps at 4k compared to no fps at any k in the last beta.

• Advertisement

Patch out today that "fixes" stuff.

Change log here

https://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=581320

Its quite big as expected,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So called open beta this weekend but really its free weekend of complete game a few days before official launch.
    Starts today @ 5pm CET

Sorry havnt come back to this lads forgot to put it on follow. Ye iv been playing the game pretty consistently since the early alpha. Have been really enjoying it bar the glaring texture and performance issues to date.

Really recommend anyone check it out this weekend as its the open beta to iron out any last few bugs and give a wider community a feel. They did a great gameplay breakdown of all the features and elements to what makes Sandstorm different in areas.

Overall this newest patch brings a lot of stability for me except i am still having major texture issues and thats with everything on low. My setup is a i7-4790k 4Ghz, 16GB DDR3 PC2400, Samsung 850 Evo, and GTX 1070 G1 OC edition.

I have all the preset on low and barely pulling 100fps although it is rather smooth. Just the texture issues are bothering me.

Outside of that if anyone has interest in the Firefight mode that is the main competitive mode and there are regular nightly Pick Up Games (PUGs) over on the DGL Discord for anyone interested. Basically first 10 players in the room we make a random team and join one of the servers for a match. Everyone is welcome especially new players so feel free to drop by. People from Ireland, NA, UK, Aus, EU.

https://discord.gg/6tSuGF

Post Release Plans from NWI regarding Insurgency and their commitment to the game.

https://newworldinteractive.com/the-insurgency-legacy-continues/
    This upcoming Wednesday marks a special day for our team and Insurgency fans. We finally unveil to you the culmination of years of hard work and passion our team has put into not only this project, but to the Insurgency series as a whole. Insurgency: Sandstorm takes the original Insurgency game from 2014 to a new era, with vastly improved visuals and expanded gameplay. While December 12th is the day of our long awaited PC release, it is far from the end for this game. No matter what kind of financial results we see from the launch, we remain committed to the game and its players.

For those of you who are familiar with the original Insurgency, you may recall a similar history. The Insurgency you can play today in 2018 is not the same game as it was at its launch in January of 2014. Today’s version of Insurgency is the result of years of improvements and new content. That included new weapons, new maps, new game modes, new characters, new voice over, expanded mod support, and even new mechanics. This is the same type of treatment we plan to provide Insurgency: Sandstorm for years to come.

Although we are proud of the work we have accomplished and the product we are delivering, we acknowledge that even by Wednesday there may still be some issues. The Open Beta should help us uncover anything especially problematic which can be addressed before launch on the 12th. In the days and weeks to follow, we will support the game with hotfixes and patches as necessary.

Here is a sneak peek of some of the post-release initiatives we have planned for the months to come:

New maps including an upcoming construction site map with a destroyed compound as well as remakes of Ministry and Sinjar from Insurgency 2014.
    New weapons including the PF940, MP5A2, MP5A5, VHS-2, QBZ-03, M240B, MG3, and even some classic weapons from Insurgency 2014 and Day of Infamy.
    Further optimization to target a lower minimum spec and get the game running smoothly on consoles.
    Mod support for things such as custom maps, weapon model replacements, and more.
    Custom game feature allowing users to configure and host a customized game experience using our servers.
    Photo mode utilizing UE4’s replay system.
    Night maps and associated equipment including flashlights and night vision.
    Support for other PC platforms including Linux and MacOS.
    More which will in large part be determined by community demand.

We look forward to the weeks, months, and years ahead where we will work alongside players to keep improving and expanding the experience. We are hoping to deliver our first content update no later than February.

Thanks for playing our game. We hope you have fun, and we look forward to your feedback. See you ingame!

Jeremy Blum
    Founder & CEO
    New World Interactive

7GB Update dropped last night with all maps released and a pretty much final version of the game.

7th December Patch Highlights: https://steamcommunity.com/games/581320/announcements/detail/1709576801693622906

I played about 4 hours since Friday and very much enjoyed it.
    The sound is easily the best of any fps ive ever played,simply amazing what they have done with it.
    It creates an atmosphere like no other.
    As much as im a fan i cant help but get the feeling while playing that its more like a game update or large patch with new maps and tweaked ui more than a new game.

• Advertisement

Played a tonne more over the weekend, having given it more time i can confirm i was wrong ,its so much more than just an Insurgency patch or reskin.

Ive preordered, release is tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Corvo

Watched some gameplay of this (have never heard of it before) and really loved the look of it.

Few quick tips to assist those dipping their toes in for the first time or indeed returning players to the series.

You guys wont be disappointed with the purchase. Honestly these guys really are a breath of fresh air in todays game development world. They will continue to support, patch, update and add content to this game over the next 2-3 years.

Im really hoping a DLC comes out in the future to potentially rival R6 in some capacity. Maybe a CQB DLC made up of SWAT Style operatives instead with a bunch of CQB and CQC maps like a large bank, nuclear facilities, shopping centres etc. The gunplay is really what sells this for me.

Its interesting seeing you guys jump into the COOP and other gamemodes. Between 200hrs on the Beta and 1500 in Ins2 from Source i only ever played Firefight and competitive game modes. COOP can be great fun if you can get 3-4 friends interested in the same playstyle. Otherwise i just find public servers everyone runs off and does their thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I really liked the original. Multiple OS support and I added mods like one where I could hear gunshots coming through other players' radio transmissions (can hear the shot that killed them!). It's details and support like that which made the experience stand out from other shooters. However, as far as I can tell this new one has less OS support and less modding potential (so far) and is designed with console input in mind.

@MarkJD got me intrigued but I'll be waiting until there's more hands-on reports from players and how/if the modding scene grows.

I really liked the original. Multiple OS support and I added mods like one where I could hear gunshots coming through other players' radio transmissions (can hear the shot that killed them!). It's details and support like that which made the experience stand out from other shooters. However, as far as I can tell this new one has less OS support and less modding potential (so far) and is designed with console input in mind.

@MarkJD got me intrigued but I'll be waiting until there's more hands-on reports from players and how/if the modding scene grows.

Ye that's absolutely understandable i have a good friend from source who is waiting until Linux support comes. I know the Devs have commented on it multiple times but all of that is absolutely coming post launch Mac / Linux Support and Mod Support but they have not committed any timelines or confirmed if its coming in stages.

They have a lot of optimization and bugs to work through still, they have committed release to consoles in 2019 and publishers breathing down their neck after already delaying for PC so be interesting how long it takes. Hope you are not waiting too long either way.

Official release 5pm today, last chance to get it for -20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I haven't been following this game at all, I knew about it and have 200+ hours in the original. Must pick it up :)

Breacher main for sure - love the Shotgun and the fact it's not half-bad at range, as opposed to other shooters with flatchette rounds that spray in massive AoE's that make medium/long-range impossible.

Single shot fire is your friend ,trust me when i say ignore full auto until your well used to the game and even then most top players only use full auto for CQB.

Cully on steam if you want to add me.

• Advertisement

Glad to see you guys getting a better feel for it. See NWI had Dr Disrespect lined up to play for launch day. Just got dinner sorted gonna sit down and and try get ranked in this new competitive que. Admin over at the DGL created this quick guide for Competitive 5 vs 5 Firefight and some elements are specific to DGL. But if you have the 5 mins or so check it out. Provide you with some good insights on Firefight.

Feel free to come over to the discord all are welcome hopefully its ok to post that Dcully if not ill gladly remove.

discord.thedgl.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

This looks great, but I tend to steer clear of this kind of game because I'm a whoor for friendly fire :o

Have this since EA and tbh its barely passing as a playable released game.

I understand NWI have had some issues with staff leaving and the games release was pushed and pushed and now here we are on the day the game is released and its still far from finished, they have yet to master the unreal engine and it shows with the fact they ask you not to choose a certain scope texture for nearly 5 months now.

It has the basis of a great game but it needs at least another 3 months in EA before release.

I love insurgency and still have a server for the original:

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Kinda assumed i would be cancelling that today and setting up Sandstorm server, today is not that day.

Game looks plays and performs fantastic for me, its more than ready imo.
    What do you think is barely passable as playable?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Was this not supposed to be released on console too?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    Was this not supposed to be released on console too?

Yup but not until 2019.

Dcully wrote: »
    Game looks plays and performs fantastic for me, its more than ready imo.
    What do you think is barely passable as playable?

Try play it on Ultra in 4k, its playable on 2k high for me.

Stutters constantly and is missing tones of features/game modes. Not too concerned about the SP being dropped.

The scope issue is there since august and still causing people issues.

I am 100% sure this will be awesome when they get it sorted and it is going in the right direction.

No interest in 4k 60 fps personally, 1440 144hz is just perfect and runs great thus i have no issue with the game.
    If you like the game could you not settle for 1440 until they address 4k performance? i know i would.
    I also dont have any scope issues, if its the complaint im hearing from some about fps drops or induced lag with some scopes?
    Unless there is another scope issue?

Change your scope settings (or dont if you having no issues).

I have 50 hours of Sandstorm, I have tried :)

• Advertisement

Pretty annoying alright if its an issue and ongoing for 5 months.

Advertisement