Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N13/N15 - Ballybofey/Stranorlar bypass [preferred route published; design underway]

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

marno21 wrote: »
    Planning will proceed on this, along with the N13 DC upgrade, N56 relief road, and N14 Letterkenny-Lifford, as part of a TII plan to upgrade roads in Donegal. Not on the capital plan but will likely be built shortly after.

All good news for the Republic's most isolated county.
    The N14 will be useful for plugging into the A5 when that's done as Dublin-Letterkenny trips will use that route.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

spacetweek wrote: »
    All good news for the Republic's most isolated county.
    The N14 will be useful for plugging into the A5 when that's done as Dublin-Letterkenny trips will use that route.
    Yep.

In an ideal world the N14 should be really the N2 following on from the N3's appearence at Belleek to continue onto Ballyshannon.

The 4 schemes proposed will be very beneficial for the county. Alongside the N56 Dungloe-Glenties in progress and the N56 Mountcharles-Inver which has funding provided as part of Building on Recovery

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

TII are looking to perform traffic surveys this month along the relevant routes to this scheme:

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=120002&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Really bugs me that there was no climbing lane included, on the southbound carriage of the last piece of realignment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Really bugs me that there was no climbing lane included, on the southbound carriage of the last piece of realignment.

Totally agree!
    Even if they had continued the hard shoulders another few hundred meters to meet the existing ones at the top of the hill!

This scheme is undergoing route selection work at present and a public consultation regarding the route will be held in Q2 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

This scheme is undergoing route selection work at present and a public consultation regarding the route will be held in Q2 2018.
    Are the N15 and N14 improvements being done as one single operation?

Are the N15 and N14 improvements being done as one single operation?

Donegal County Council are completing Phases 1-4 of TII's Project Management Guidelines for several schemes together, with one contractor (RPS CH2M Barry), to make the most of limited funding. These schemes are the:

N13/N56 Letterkenny Relief Road (encompassing an upgrade of the existing N13 DC)
    N14 Letterkenny to Lifford (including A5 Link)
    N15 Ballybofey/Stranorlar bypass.

Route selection is expected to be complete by Q3 2018 with ABP submission in Q3 2020 (yes, that slow)

Full timeline for anyone interested:

Stage | Completion date
    Public consultation on route options | Q2 2018
    Preferred route selection | Q3 2018
    Completion of preliminary design | Q1 2020
    Publication of CPO & EIS | Q3 2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Donegal County Council are completing Phases 1-4 of TII's Project Management Guidelines for several schemes together, with one contractor (RPS CH2M Barry), to make the most of limited funding. These schemes are the:

N13/N56 Letterkenny Relief Road (encompassing an upgrade of the existing N13 DC)
    N14 Letterkenny to Lifford (including A5 Link)
    N15 Ballybofey/Stranorlar bypass.

Route selection is expected to be complete by Q3 2018 with ABP submission in Q3 2020 (yes, that slow)

How come the consultant is a JV, I would have taught either of them could have done all the work on there own?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Will this be dual carriageway or just a single lane bypass?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

2+2 almost certainly; Donegal RDO already went for insanely wide, grade seperated at times roads which would be barely dearer to lay as 2+2

L1011 wrote:
    2+2 almost certainly; Donegal RDO already went for insanely wide, grade seperated at times roads which would be barely dearer to lay as 2+2

Indeed they did.

Public consultation on this taking place next week:
    Donegal wrote:
    RPS CH2M Barry assessed the Constraints within the defined study areas for the Project and presented these to the public at a consultation held on 6th December 2017.

The Design Team have taken feedback obtained during the consultation meetings and are currently progressing with the route selection process including the development and assessment of route options for the three Sections, which will be presented at public consultations to be held as follows:

Where: When: Time:
    Radisson Blu, Letterkenny Tuesday 17th April 2018 2:00pm - 8:00pm
    County House,Donegal County Council, Lifford Wednesday 18th April 2018 2:00pm - 8:00pm
    Jacksons Hotel, Ballybofey Thursday 19th April, 2018 2:00pm - 8:00pm

The Emerging Preferred Route will be identified during the second half of 2018 and presented to the public to obtain further feedback, prior to the Preferred Route being confirmed.

Following confirmation of the Preferred Route, a Design and Environmental Impact Statement will be produced.

Any comments/queries can be submitted via our online Feedback Form

Route options are now up for public consultation. More information at www.donegal-ten-t.ie

Public consultation brochure: http://www.donegal-ten-t.ie/media/download_gallery/Public_Consultation_-_Stage_1_(Brochure)(1).pdf

Overall route options: http://www.donegal-ten-t.ie/media/download_gallery/SECTION%201%20-%20OVERALL%20ROUTE%20CORRIDORS.pdf

Individual route options: http://www.donegal-ten-t.ie/media/download_gallery/SECTION%201%20-%20INDIVIDUAL%20ROUTE%20CORRIDORS.pdf

Main focus of this is the N13 section as it's part of the TEN-T route network. The N15 to Lifford section is not hence it being a "link road"

Publication of the emerging preferred route for this scheme has now been deferred to Q1 2019. As a result the project submission to An Bord Pleanala will not happen until the first half of 2021. That'll be 5 years for Phases 1-4

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

And we're off

Impressed to see the Examiner reporting on Donegal news. Truly an all-island newspaper now! :pac:

I think that article, written by the same person who runs Donegal Daily, is selectively quoting a piece I read elsewhere last week.

I don't believe locals are agin a bypass, rather, the link road to the town, as envisaged by the preferred route, will be too long so as to discourage people coming to the town as they pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I think that article, written by the same person who runs Donegal Daily, is selectively quoting a piece I read elsewhere last week.

I don't believe locals are agin a bypass, rather, the link road to the town, as envisaged by the preferred route, will be too long so as to discourage people coming to the town as they pass.

"Coming to the town as they pass". Like your either going to the town or your not. Their logic is baffling. If i want to goto LK or Derry, I'm really not interested in the intermediate towns bar the need for petrol or bladder relief.

"Coming to the town as they pass". Like your either going to the town or your not. Their logic is baffling. If i want to goto LK or Derry, I'm really not interested in the intermediate towns bar the need for petrol or bladder relief.

Indeed. I'm sure the point is to encourage passing motorists to spend a penny etc.

There's no material opposition to bypassing the town and I hope it isn't further delayed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can anyone identify a town that was made a ghost town by a bypass? More cases of towns that people can actually shop in due to the roads not being jammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is whinging a local past time in co Donegal? They’re always saying they’re neglected by central govt- then they plan to invest tens of millions in bypssses and that’s also wrong. Spend the money elsewhere if they don’t want it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

road_high wrote:
    Is whinging a local past time in co Donegal? They’re always saying they’re neglected by central govt- then they plan to invest tens of millions in bypssses and that’s also wrong. Spend the money elsewhere if they don’t want it

The majority of the people in those towns want a bypass, it's a small number of people that are against it.

This isn't unique to Donegal. Every single infrastructure project in the country will have objections from people who have nothing but their own interests in mind.

Ballybofey and Stranorlar are only slightly behind the likes of Ardee, Slane and Adare in the need for a bypass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 HabibiLibnen

Kevwoody wrote: »
    The majority of the people in those towns want a bypass, it's a small number of people that are against it.

This isn't unique to Donegal. Every single infrastructure project in the country will have objections from people who have nothing but their own interests in mind.

Ballybofey and Stranorlar are only slightly behind the likes of Ardee, Slane and Adare in the need for a bypass.

I'd add Thurles to that list. Huge lorries throttling through Parnell Street, O'Donavan Rossa Street and Liberty Square from dawn to dusk. It's always either red or orange on Google traffic.

I'd add Thurles to that list. Huge lorries throttling through Parnell Street, O'Donavan Rossa Street and Liberty Square from dawn to dusk. It's always either red or orange on Google traffic.
    TII policy at present seems to be overwhelmingly in favour of sorting the NP network first then the secondary routes, bar a few political schemes (Mallow, Moycullen).

Priority at the minute seems to be in favour of Slane, Castlebar, Mallow/Charleville/Buttevant, Adare, Macroom, Galway followed by Monaghan, Virginia, Carrick-on-Shannon, the N4 Longford towns, Wexford, Ballybofey/Stranorlar, Letterkenny, Lifford, Charlestown, Abbeyfeale, Newcastlewest, Killarney/Farranfore, the N24 Tipp towns.

Then there are a host of national secondary bottlenecks to deal with including Thurles and also Inishannon, Bandon, Clonakilty, Blessington, Portlaoise, Mountmellick, Ballinrobe, Ballyhaunis, amongst others

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 HabibiLibnen

TII policy at present seems to be overwhelmingly in favour of sorting the NP network first then the secondary routes, bar a few political schemes (Mallow, Moycullen).

Priority at the minute seems to be in favour of Slane, Castlebar, Mallow/Charleville/Buttevant, Adare, Macroom, Galway followed by Monaghan, Virginia, Carrick-on-Shannon, the N4 Longford towns, Wexford, Ballybofey/Stranorlar, Letterkenny, Lifford, Charlestown, Abbeyfeale, Newcastlewest, Killarney/Farranfore, the N24 Tipp towns.

Then there are a host of national secondary bottlenecks to deal with including Thurles and also Inishannon, Bandon, Clonakilty, Blessington, Portlaoise, Mountmellick, Ballinrobe, Ballyhaunis, amongst others

There's logic to that but I would put Thurles well ahead in terms of priority over the likes of Ballyhaunis or Charlestown. Purely in terms of safety, I think Thurles is so dangerous with lorries coming out onto Liberty Square and pedestrians crossing in front of them.

Advertisement