Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backstop

Options
  • 10-12-2018 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

Making an entrance with Brexit this is an awful sounding word. What does it mean? Who used it first?

Comments

Essentially an insurance policy, to prevent a hard border between north and south.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,552 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A word/phrase which came into the language originally in sport. As with plenty more such as own goal, it is a useful shorthand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

First used in an episode of "One Foot In The Grave" when Patrick (Victor Meldrews neighbour) got a wine cork stuck up his arse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

its like that yoke that stops the door from slamming against the wall when its thrown open

It's like being on Tinder and the wife is the backstop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

Is she a Hard Border or can it all be done with cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Just replace backstop and tracker mortgage

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

The backstop is the barrier behind homeplate in baseball which stops a wild pitch smacking a spectator in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,078 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

bobbyss wrote: »
    Making an entrance with Brexit this is an awful sounding word. What does it mean? Who used it first?
    It's a term used in baseball, rounders and (originally, until it got replaced by "long-stop") cricket. It means the guy who stands some way behind the wicketkeeper (or equivalent in other sports) whose job is to catch the ball if the wicketkeeper failes to catch it. Dates from the early nineteenth century. In baseball, as well as referring to a player whose job is to catch the ball if others miss it, it also refers to a fence erected for the same purpose.

By the mid-nineteenth century it had been extended into other, analogous uses. For example on an archery ground or rifle range, the "backstop" is the bank of earth erected behing the targets, into which arrows or bullets which miss the targets will plough harmlessly.

So, basically, it means the arrnangement you make that is to apply as a last resort, if all other arrangements fail.

In the Brexit context, the EU and the UK have agreed that the border in Ireland is to be kept open by a "deep and special" trading agreement between them which will be so deep and so special that it will make border controls of any kind unnecessary. But if there is no such agreement then the border is to be kept open by agreed technological solution which will make border controls of any kind unnecessary. But if there is no such technology then the border will be kept open by the UK committing to maintain regulatory alignment between NI and the EU. And that last one is the backstop, because that's what is to happen if all other alternatives fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The most annoying thing about this whole Brexit stuff is hearing SF beat that United Ireland drum.

It's a lovely idea with the rose-tinted romanticised glasses on, but in reality the cost of taking on NI, how we'd manage even more civil/public service workers, the security issues (the unionists aren't likely to just shrug and accept it), and the question of what it would actually achieve given the mess repeated governments have made of the country we have now make it a BIT more complicated than "yea sure, be great".

The only way to realistically manage the current impass I think is to put the borders at the UK-NI/ROI points and leave the island as a common zone, but the Unionists don't want that either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Finally, someone has asked the question that I, a politics & international relations graduate, have been too embarrassed to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The most annoying thing about this whole Brexit stuff is hearing SF beat that United Ireland drum.

It's a lovely idea with the rose-tinted romanticised glasses on, but in reality the cost of taking on NI, how we'd manage even more civil/public service workers, the security issues (the unionists aren't likely to just shrug and accept it), and the question of what it would actually achieve given the mess repeated governments have made of the country we have now make it a BIT more complicated than "yea sure, be great".

The only way to realistically manage the current impass I think is to put the borders at the UK-NI/ROI points and leave the island as a common zone, but the Unionists don't want that either.

That's the most annying thing about brexit? Not the fact that the British government has taken a decision that could devestate a large section of this country, without any thought of the people that will be affected

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Just replace backstop and tracker mortgage

There’s no excuse for ignorance. This is s hugely important development in the short history of this State.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

What I don't get about the back stop is. It's there to prevent a hard border and that's great but it's so important to have it we'd rather have a no deal which will ensure a hard border

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

zapitastas wrote: »
    That's the most annying thing about brexit? Not the fact that the British government has taken a decision that could devestate a large section of this country, without any thought of the people that will be affected

Ah Brexit isn't going to be accepted. In the last few days the ECJ came out and said that the UK can cancel article 50 if desired. Once again, the EU rewriting the supposed rules on the fly to undermine the democratic decision of the UK electorate - something that's been ongoing since the result was announced.

It's not in the EU's interest for Brexit to go through and worse, NOT be the apocalypse it's been positioned as because it would likely lead to other states wanting out as well.

I think May will be ousted as she can't get the deal through anyway, an election called and then they'll have a "do-over". I wouldn't be worried about supposed deadlines because as we've seen, these can and will be extended as needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Glad people asked about the Backstop.

It’s being put in to prevent us on the border being bum sexed by the border.

Thanks for asking.

Here we go wrote: »
    What I don't get about the back stop is. It's there to prevent a hard border and that's great but it's so important to have it we'd rather have a no deal which will ensure a hard border

I think the assumption is that no deal just isn't going to happen. The British will blink.

No deal would just be absolutely catastrophic for the UK and that's outside the fact that the UK has a legally binding commitment to the Good Friday agreement. If they violate an international treaty whilst nursing a ruined economy, nobody is going to rush to have trade deals with them. Certainly not on terms favourable to Britain.

The best they could hope for would be a servile agreement with the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,078 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Here we go wrote: »
    No deal ensures a hard border in the short term, but it still leaves the UK in dire need of a deal. So there is still leverage which can be used to get the UK to enter into arrangements that will open the border again, and keep it open.

Whereas if the UK gets a Brexit deal with no backstop, that results in a hard border - not immediately, but soon - and it's permanent, since the UK has the deal it needs, and isn't under the same pressure.

Either of these outcomes is bad for us but, of the two, a withdrawal agreement without an effective backstop is worse than a no-deal Brexit, because it leads to a permanently hard border.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Essentially an insurance policy, to prevent a hard border between north and south.

But I thought the unionists didn't want a hard border anyway?
    Seems to me that their main objection, and the objection that the reece-mogg type knobs have is that a backstop would mean that the 6 counties could be classed differently than the rest of the Kingdom which is a bit of a childish objection.

I’m so glad someone asked the question in here as I still couldn’t get my head around what a backstop was.

This is our “backstop for dummies” book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

zapitastas wrote: »
    Or even any thought of how their own people will be affected, although it's obvious that a lot of them weren't thinking about that when they voted to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Seems to me that their main objection, and the objection that the reece-mogg type knobs have is that a backstop would mean that the 6 counties could be classed differently than the rest of the Kingdom which is a bit of a childish objection.

Doesn’t stop them accepting different treatment for Northern Ireland with abortion, equal marriage or the more mundane public transport policy.

In any case, yesterday was a case of ‘Hey, hey, Theresa May, shat her pants and ran away’. Singapore-style UK receding a bit, unless they decide to have a report chewing gum button on public telephones...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Northern Ireland becomes the EU's booty call.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Or even any thought of how their own people will be affected, although it's obvious that a lot of them weren't thinking about that when they voted to leave.

Am not sure a single thought was even given to NI, let alone the NI/RoI Border. You only had to see Farrage, Johnsons, et al, reaction to the leave vote winning. Both had campaigned for a leave vote, but then ran when it won. It was poor stratagy played by Cameroon, for his Conserative Government, that spectaculary backfired. There was no plan for this at all.

Whilst alot of people who hoped for remain, now hopes May steps down, her replacement might also want to continue with pushing for a leave, especially if that replacement is Mogg, or Johnson.

Its a pretty ****e situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

The DUP - would anyone care to explain their position to me, what power they have or haven't, their fears, their best case scenario, worst case.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    The DUP - would anyone care to explain their position to me, what power they have or haven't, their fears, their best case scenario, worst case.

They want the withdrawal agreement and the future relationship to make no distinction between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK. It's that simple.

They think it's ridiculous that the North should get its own mention and conditions as much as it would be for Norfolk to get them.

This is unrealistic because of the special constitutional status granted by the GFA but they don't care.

They said they don't want a hard border and I believe them, mostly because they know the security risks. But they're not willing to avoid it if it means marking the North as special so any deal to avoid a border in Ireland would also have to equally apply to Calais.

The DUP are really cutting off their nose to spite their face. Out of all the countries in Europe, wouldn’t Northern Ireland have had the best outcome of any of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

troyzer wrote: »
    They want the withdrawal agreement and the future relationship to make no distinction between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK. It's that simple.

They think it's ridiculous that the North should get its own mention and conditions as much as it would be for Norfolk to get them.

This is unrealistic because of the special constitutional status granted by the GFA but they don't care.

They said they don't want a hard border and I believe them, mostly because they know the security risks. But they're not willing to avoid it if it means marking the North as special so any deal to avoid a border in Ireland would also have to equally apply to Calais.

Thank you. Ok so they want to be the same as Norfolk at all costs but they are already different to Norfolk in terms of stuff like abortion, devolved government and cross border tourism initiatives etc. They are very different. Why would they not accept still being British but just having different terms on this ? Is that not in their own best interests at this stage ? Is that not the safest long term scenario for them ?

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Thank you. Ok so they want to be the same as Norfolk at all costs but they are already different to Norfolk in terms of stuff like abortion, devolved government and cross border tourism initiatives etc. They are very different. Why would they not accept still being British but just having different terms on this ? Is that not in their own best interests at this stage ? Is that not the safest long term scenario for them ?

They want to have their cake and eat it. Which is why themselves and the Brexiteers are a match made in heaven and why the DUP are so infuriatingly difficult to work with both in Stormont and now as May has found out, in Westminster. They simply don't compromise on their unrealistic demands.

They don't accept the premise that their Britishness comes with an asterix. That's the issue here. Of course it's in their best interests and in the interests of many of their voters which includes a lot of farmers but they simply don't care.

ULSTER SAYS NO!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

As others have said they want to have their cake and eat it. The type of Unionism espoused by the DUP is fundamentally reactionary anyway, they wanted to vote out for xenophobic and chauvinistic reasons but also want all the benefits of having no border.

They are now crying and shouting because the idea that the Six Counties are some seamless part of the UK is exposed as fiction and that the British establishment is willing to sell them down the river in that regard because their first concern is the people of Britain who voted leave, not Irish unionists.

They also know this is a very vulnerable time for the UK as a project with Scotland wavering and rising English nationalism; and that if it does wallop they’ll be pushed into unity by default. They’ll jump up and down moaning about being treated differently, and I’m betting they’re regretting ever supporting Leave.

Advertisement