Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

Explain, what exactly does it show that's wrong with the country?
    The very fact that such a grotty house, that the best thing to do with would be to bulldoze and rebuild is priced at half a million euros. Really brings into focus the lack of affordable housing there is in this country.

Of course, the beneficiaries of these high prices are sitting pretty, while others are paying hundreds a month for a bunk bed in a shared house in the city due to the lack of affordable accommodation.
    I wonder how many bunk beds a slumlord could fit into that garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 wrote: »
    saw one house that had what looked like a well wrapped body on the floor!.

See

https://www.daft.ie/leitrim/houses-for-sale/dromod/dromodbeg-dromod-leitrim-1939614/

photo 8...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The very fact that such a grotty house, that the best thing to do with would be to bulldoze and rebuild is priced at half a million euros. Really brings into focus the lack of affordable housing there is in this country.

Of course, the beneficiaries of these high prices are sitting pretty, while others are paying hundreds a month for a bunk bed in a shared house in the city due to the lack of affordable accommodation.
    Its not even that 'grotty' though, it's just dated. Paint and new carpets would modernise most of it, a new bathroom and a few trips to Woodies and IKEA would sort the rest. Anyone handy with DIY could make a big return on their investment or have one of the nicer family homes in town for not a whole lot higher than the build cost of a place that size plus the site, you're within short walking distance of O Connels St and the IFSC / Google docks there, it's really not as bad as you're making out.

Im always watching Bray prices and its not far off them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Thargor wrote: »
    Its not even that 'grotty' though, it's just dated. Paint and new carpets would modernise most of it, a new bathroom and a few trips to Woodies and IKEA would sort the rest. Anyone handy with DIY could make a big return on their investment or have one of the nicer family homes in town for not a whole lot higher than the build cost of a place that size plus the site, you're within short walking distance of O Connels St and the IFSC / Google docks there, it's really not as bad as you're making out.

Im always watching Bray prices and its not far off them tbh.

Paint won't get rid of that damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Location, location, location. And off-street parking, both outdoor and indoor.

The house itself is the least of that deal.

Dublin 8 includes Dolphins Barn amongst other gems. You really think it's a desirable location?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

BBFAN wrote: »
    Dublin 8 includes Dolphins Barn amongst other gems. You really think it's a desirable location?
    Dolphin's Barn (which I live quite close to, as it happens :rolleyes:) is the other end of Dublin 8 from the advertised house. Do you actually know where it is? It's a very trendy, desirable location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Dolphin's Barn (which I live quite close to, as it happens :rolleyes:) is the other end of Dublin 8 from the advertised house. Do you actually know where it is? It's a very trendy, desirable location.

Do I know where it is? That's where I'm from. :rolleyes: and there's nothing trendy or desirable about it.

BBFAN wrote: »
    Do I know where it is? That's where I'm from. :rolleyes: and there's nothing trendy or desirable about it.
    Well there clearly is, if they're pitching a house which needs a lot of work at that price!

Well there clearly is, if they're pitching a house which needs a lot of work at that price!
    The asking price is just an expectation, if there's a lot of interest, buyers can outbid eachother and the price goes up and none the sellers have to drop the price until someone buys, or take it off the maket.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Paint won't get rid of that damp.
    No but running a dehumidifier and a bit of basic DIY will, then repaint, still yet to see anyone post what they think the price should be for a house that size in that location should be...

• Advertisement

The asking price is just an expectation, if there's a lot of interest, buyers can outbid eachother and the price goes up and none the sellers have to drop the price until someone buys, or take it off the maket.
    My guess is the former in this case.

And if your life is lacking colour? Cavan has the ideal home...

https://www.daft.ie/cavan/houses-for-sale/virginia/cliffin-virginia-cavan-1807502/

No but running a dehumidifier and a bit of basic DIY will, then repaint, still yet to see anyone post what they think the price should be for a house that size in that location should be...

That damp means leaks. Rebuilding needed.

My guess is the former in this case.
    You're probably right, someone will buy it slap on a bit of paint and fill it with bunk beds.

That damp means leaks. Rebuilding needed.
    Lol, wrong.

Lol, wrong.
    Is it your place, you really seem to like it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

I'd be surprised if it didn't exceed that asking price. If I had the (any!) dosh I'd be tempted - so much room to play with, just off the South Circular!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

https://www.daft.ie/cavan/houses-for-sale/virginia/cliffin-virginia-cavan-1807502/

Woodies must have had a very good sale on all their odd pots of paint and wallpaper rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Have you viewed the house or had a survey done on it? Are you a house builder? What puts you in position to say the best thing for it is to be knocked down? Do you think a 'slumlord' is going to go through that effort?

I really think you're totally missing the point of why it's valued as it is. Location, potential, the land, the size, etc. It being grotty is neither here nor there, you can fix that. Nobody buys a house for the decor.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

retalivity wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/dublin-8/19-greenville-avenue-dublin-8-dublin-1937257/

Wood panelled room - check
    Crazy retro style bathroom design - check
    carpets & damp everywhere - check check check

I can't understand the hate for this. This is a developer's dream and there is so much potential with this that I'd be astonished if it sells for asking.

You could remodel, revamp and rent in a very short period of time

Or, given the site space, you could do the above and simultaneously apply for planning to get a second dwelling on that site, the A and B property address types.

Or knock/amend the existing property and add property No. 2 on the site.

I'd imagine it would be difficult (given planning laws) to fully knock the existing property but that's also an option I guess.

If I had the capital right now I would give that site serious consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Remember when houses were bought by owner occupiers. Good times.

Remember when houses were bought by owner occupiers. Good times.

Yes. And that was an absolutely perfect system.......:rolleyes:

Taking one of my suggestions from the last post, if someone built 2 properties on that site and sold them would you still have an objection to it?

Yes. And that was an absolutely perfect system.......:rolleyes:

It worked far better than what is going on these days.....:rolleyes:
    Taking one of my suggestions from the last post, if someone built 2 properties on that site and sold them would you still have an objection to it?

No objection as long as they are bought by owner occupiers and not yet another opportunistic landlord who will fleece people for as much as possible.

Have you viewed the house or had a survey done on it? Are you a house builder? What puts you in position to say the best thing for it is to be knocked down? Do you think a 'slumlord' is going to go through that effort?

I really think you're totally missing the point of why it's valued as it is. Location, potential, the land, the size, etc. It being grotty is neither here nor there, you can fix that. Nobody buys a house for the decor.
    I've built one house for what it's worth.
    Because of it's "prime location" the best thing would be for an ambitious developer to come in and buy the whole street and replace them all with a couple of genuinely (not Celtic tiger poop) high quality blocks of flats for rent. Thus providing accommodation for far more families, couples & singles than the current housing on the same footprint.

It worked far better than what is going on these days.....:rolleyes:

No objection as long as they are bought by owner occupiers and not yet another opportunistic landlord who will fleece people for as much as possible.

Not all landlords are like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Ohhhh what a site for a Meth Lab!!!! No neighbours, discrete, developing forrestry, wide open fresh air. Jessie Pinkertons dream

Ohhhh what a site for a Meth Lab!!!! No neighbours, discrete, developing forrestry, wide open fresh air. Jessie Pinkertons dream

from the colour "scheme" it already has been !

I quite like that one. Would need massive amounts of work though obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

100.000 for a site... most probably not allowed to demolish as it's listed...close to a million to rebuild this sh***.

woa, what a money grave..

Advertisement