Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get me a cargo bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I'm still ferrying my eight-year-old and six-year-old daughters every day. I reckon up to ten might be ok. They'll probably find the very idea mortifying shortly after that anyway.

The bakfiets is certified for 100kg of cargo, so that's over twice what the girls weigh combined (I think). So the limit is the rider's physical endurance, I suppose.

I did figure that the embarrassment factor will probably be the deciding time for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

My 9yo loves being ferried on the cargo bike.
    An extra seat mounted on the top tube - so he has better views on what's going on around him.

But some days prefers to ride his own bike to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Decided to give this a go.
    Shipping is $240 so about €940 when all added up and converted into €€€.
    Cost Total.

€899(argobike) + $205(DHL Shipping) €1,104.00 = €977.75 when purchased in June 2018
    Got the DHL Invoice this week for Duty and Vat (2ned Week in September)

So to add to the cost.
    Duty €115.18
    VAT €203.10
    DHL Advance Payment Charge €14.50 (they paid for the Duty in advance)

So in total: €1,300.53

Still not assembled :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

mloc123 wrote: »
    What age did you get to use it until? My son is just 3 now and we are doing creche run on ours, wondering how many years use I will get.
    Sorry just saw this now.
    Daughter just turned 6 last week, son is 3 3/4, and both tall and big for their age.
    I got 3 years out of it, potentially could get another by back seating one, but let them learn to cycle themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Just on the subject, earlier in this thread, of how to get the back wheel off a cargo bike, this seems very neat (and portable!):

462594.jpg
    462595.jpg
    462596.jpg

H/T @CitizenW0lf on Twitter
    https://twitter.com/CitizenW0lf/status/1045377946087817221

• Advertisement

Looking at the canopy for a bullitt... it seems pricey for what it is. Any other alternatives for the impending winter weather?

The canopy is one of the main reasons I bought the bullit. It's essentially a roll cage, steel arm rests, and steel roof bars give great peace of mind. The canopy is tight, dry, doesn't flap around or come loose, is easy to open and close, so if it's raining you have them loaded or unloaded quickly.

Yes, it's expensive, but if it's part of the every day commute then I think it's worth it. If it's for pottering around if the weather's nice at the weekend, maybe not so much.

The other option seems to be stick them in the box and cover them as much as possible with a tarp, and loads of wet weather gear. Depends on the age of the kids, very small ones wouldn't love a face full of driving rain or hail. Hell I still don't!

kenmc wrote: »
    The canopy is one of the main reasons I bought the bullit. It's essentially a roll cage, steel arm rests, and steel roof bars give great peace of mind. The canopy is tight, dry, doesn't flap around or come loose, is easy to open and close, so if it's raining you have them loaded or unloaded quickly.

Yes, it's expensive, but if it's part of the every day commute then I think it's worth it. If it's for pottering around if the weather's nice at the weekend, maybe not so much.

The other option seems to be stick them in the box and cover them as much as possible with a tarp, and loads of wet weather gear. Depends on the age of the kids, very small ones wouldn't love a face full of driving rain or hail. Hell I still don't!

Will mull it over some more, and see how the weather holds up. Priced the canopy at 500e

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Michelin

Hi all, how much are these bullitt cargo bikes and where are they for sale? Been looking for solutions to getting my 5 year old to school.
    I never considered these until recently. Is it possible or safe to ferry kids in a box or is the canopy essential? Thanks

You do see plenty of cargo bikes around Dublin without canopies. The canopy on our bakfiets is just to keep the rain and wind off them. It has no protective function.

• Advertisement

Michelin wrote: »
    Hi all, how much are these bullitt cargo bikes and where are they for sale? Been looking for solutions to getting my 5 year old to school.
    I never considered these until recently. Is it possible or safe to ferry kids in a box or is the canopy essential? Thanks

Bullitt would start at around 2300e for basic bike. Prices for the accessories are all on http://www.larryvsharry.com/

In Ireland the two shops that stock them are Think Bike and The Bike Institute.

Up to now I have been bringing my son without a canopy. I have side panels and folding seat. He is fine, 90% of our trip is on separated cycle paths so from a safety point of view it would be the same as pushing a buggy IMO.

Yeah, I think the routes you frequent is the most important decision you make. Fairly true of cycling generally, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

going through the planning now for getting cargo bike.

some questions if anyone can help...

i plan to go for a 2 wheeler / front bucket type bike. 3 wheelers dont appeal to me, but they do have much more space.
    is anyone using their bike for 2 kids, maybe even 3? i see photos of loads of kids bundled into the bikes but is there enough room for them all for more thna just a few minutes before they start giving out

stability, i've never ridden a cargo bike before, do the kids affect stability much? do they have to sit still or is the CoG low enough? how hard is it to keep one upright at traffic lights and so on.

storage, really no option but to keep it outside, are they generally ok to leave in the garden or do they need to be covered?

site_owner wrote: »
    i plan to go for a 2 wheeler / front bucket type bike. 3 wheelers dont appeal to me, but they do have much more space.
    is anyone using their bike for 2 kids, maybe even 3?

I've a two-wheeler, a bakfiets.

I've cycled with five, just around the park, kids from my daughters' school, mixture of ages, 2.5-7. I usually cycle with two, often long-ish distances, currently six and eight.

I did have occasional problems with them fighting, but they used to do that when in the stroller too, before. It stops if I start my phone playing a Disney album and throw it into the box. Sort of like a depth charge in reverse: silence ensues when it lands.

I know a lady who cycles with three kids on a two-wheeler, two of them about my kids' ages, but she has electric assist. I don't, but I'm pretty fit, I guess.
    stability, i've never ridden a cargo bike before, do the kids affect stability much? do they have to sit still or is the CoG low enough? how hard is it to keep one upright at traffic lights and so on.

If one of them keeps trying to stand up, or throws themselves to one side suddenly, it's a bit alarming, but it hasn't caused me many problems. Stability is very good. From what I've read, when you get up towards a load of about 100kg there are stability problems. In general, don't try to go faster than brisk, as you'll have trouble stopping in a hurry anyway, and don't try to corner hard. Just take things easy, and it's absolutely fine.
    storage, really no option but to keep it outside, are they generally ok to leave in the garden or do they need to be covered?

They're supposed to be ok for leaving outside. They're certainly better for being left outside than most bikes, especially the bakfiets, because the gears, brakes and chain are totally enclosed. I have a good shed with a concrete floor, so mine gets to be out of the elements and secured with a proper floor anchor, so I'm lucky that way.

That's great info, thanks!

Did you get the bakfiets from greenaer or is there another supplier?

What kind of speed do you manage with it?

I kind of toyed with the idea of an electric assist but I'm happy enough pedalling too.

Did you get the bakfiets from greenaer or is there another supplier?

Greenaer, but I think someone else might do them, but couldn't tell you who!
    What kind of speed do you manage with it?
    I'm about the same speed as a lot of people on bikes going downhill. Uphill I'm about the slowest person!

So i guess 15km/h on the flat, 10km/h going uphill, and 20km/h going downhill. I resist the temptation to go any faster going downhill, as it's heavy and stopping isn't quite as fast as a normal bike. I use my feet sometimes if I'm not happy with how fast I'm stopping!
    I kind of toyed with the idea of an electric assist but I'm happy enough pedalling too.

Yeah, I find pedalling ok. You end up with some new muscle strains for the first week or so, and then you get used to it. At least, that was my experience.

Think Dutch bike shop in clonskeagh do bakfiets. They also do workcycles, which are supposed to be good too.

kenmc wrote: »
    Think Dutch bike shop in clonskeagh do bakfiets. They also do workcycles, which are supposed to be good too.

They do the KR8, which I think is essentially a bakfiets:
    https://dutchbikeshop.ie/workcycles-kr8-cargo-bike/

They didn't when I got mine. At least, I got the impression they didn't. I thought they only did Babboe at the time.

Yeah the kr8 is an "improved" bakfiets supposedly. Not ridden one so can't compare.

Thanks!

The babboe city, bakfiets and kr8 all look very similar, with similsr sounding components but price range is huge?

Babboe city with electric assist is aroud the same price as a kr8.

Need to do some more research and book some test rides

• Advertisement

Some interesting reading on the measurements here.
    As expected, the bullitt is the narrowest, but only 3cm narrower than the kr8.

https://cargobikemag.com/cargo-space-the-overview/

As expected, the bullitt is the narrowest, but only 3cm narrower than the kr8.

https://cargobikemag.com/cargo-space-the-overview/

Bullitt with the canopy on is wider.
    The canopy sits wider than the platform.
    Don't have the numbers on me but I guess about +10cm wider overall.

The doors with 80 cm opening are hard to clear past. Doable but awkward.

beazee wrote: »
    Bullitt with the canopy on is wider.
    The canopy sits wider than the platform.
    Don't have the numbers on me but I guess about +10cm wider overall.

The doors with 80 cm opening are hard to clear past. Doable but awkward.

Can you link me to what you mean?
    Ive only seen canopies that go over the box

Can you link me to what you mean?
    Ive only seen canopies that go over the box

Instead of a box (solid side walls) you may go for a bespoke all-in-one canopy which offers more room:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a2440bf010027ad3653f5a7/5abd76721ae6cf52d2c8f1b0/5abd7674f950b7bc8ad80b95/1522366084841/bullitt+LvH+kid+canopy+005.jpg?format=750w

https://www.velogold.de/ZUBEHOeR/BULLITT/Canopy.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

going through the planning now for getting cargo bike.

some questions if anyone can help...

is anyone using their bike for 2 kids, maybe even 3? i see photos of loads of kids bundled into the bikes but is there enough room for them all for more thna just a few minutes before they start giving out

If you want to contact me, I can let you take my Bullitt for a day or two and see how you get on with it.

If you want to contact me, I can let you take my Bullitt for a day or two and see how you get on with it.

Thats very generous! Will send you a pm later today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Thats very generous! Will send you a pm later today

No problem. It's in my garage at the mo, which is blocked off by a non-running car, but we shoudl access it ok.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292842956574

Any thoughts on this bike?
    Around what price is good value, seems good spec?

Would need to sell cover and side panels and get seat and canopy i think.

Its in Liverpool so would add about 200 for ferry and van

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292842956574

Any thoughts on this bike?
    Around what price is good value, seems good spec?

Would need to sell cover and side panels and get seat and canopy i think.

Its in Liverpool so would add about 200 for ferry and van

SailRail Dublin to Liverpool is €85 return, maybe an extra €10 for bike (each way). It's just a matter of asking the rail company will they take the bike (there's typically room to fit the bullit)...

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    SailRail Dublin to Liverpool is €85 return, maybe an extra €10 for bike (each way). It's just a matter of asking the rail company will they take the bike (there's typically room to fit the bullit)...

The Liverpool-dublin boat doesnt take bikes anymore.
    The only option is thru holyhead or Belfast

Plan was boat to HH, rent van, drive to Liverpool and back and then cycle home. However...

Spoke with irish ferries too check about bullitt on holyhead ferry and they said it might not be possible as they dont let you cycle on anymore. Have to wait for all foot passengers to board then bring the bike on a shuttle bus :( they gave me a UK number to ring to see if the bike fits on the bus.

Van rental/fuel + RORO ticket looks like closer to 500 so may be out of luck on this. Or cycle home from belfast on it

Advertisement