Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only 600 out of 66,700 new jobs created in the South East Region last year!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭invara

hardybuck wrote: »
    which makes stroke politics harder to get away with. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but the stuff that went on before is more difficult to do now.

I do not agree with this. Everyday I see projects go through on the nod based on political strength rather than sound analysis or needs.

Ireland 2040 is a case in point. So the economic analysis from Edgar Morgenrath ERSI/DCU says bet big on the four regional cities. The urban fund announces 88 projects in every hamlet in Ireland. The two other big flagship developments have no economic basis to them (according to those who did the economic analysis for Ireland 2040)- the M20 Limerick to Cork motorway and the Dublin Metro North.

What the current crop of politicians have learned is that to run Ireland on anything other than a feudal stroke politics basis is a way to leave power. It does not matter the hue- the architecture of Irish politics has always been about the stroke, the cute hoors and the sneaky regarders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

invara wrote: »
    I do not agree with this. Everyday I see projects go through on the nod based on political strength rather than sound analysis or needs.

Ireland 2040 is a case in point. So the economic analysis from Edgar Morgenrath ERSI/DCU says bet big on the four regional cities. The urban fund announces 88 projects in every hamlet in Ireland. The two other big flagship developments have no economic basis to them (according to those who did the economic analysis for Ireland 2040)- the M20 Limerick to Cork motorway and the Dublin Metro North.

What the current crop of politicians have learned is that to run Ireland on anything other than a feudal stroke politics basis is a way to leave power. It does not matter the hue- the architecture of Irish politics has always been about the stroke, the cute hoors and the sneaky regarders.

One thing you will never, ever, get is agreement among economists. As George Bernard Shaw once said, if all the economists were laid end to end, they wouldn't reach a conclusion.

Sometimes you will see decisions made by Government that consider different options put forward by, in much the same way an invester would, based upon their risk appetite.

In the Government's case the social need, and on occasion the political need, can definitely influence a decision. At the moment it's more likely to be compromise based upon what FF want, as this year in particular they was a desire to avoid an election in the middle of the Brexit talks.

Advertisement