Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Laughable. Do they plan another meeting next year when passenger numbers are hitting 35,000,000?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Laughable. Do they plan another meeting next year when passenger numbers are hitting 35,000,000?!

Well they will not give an unlimited increase so no point in asking. Until Metro is confirmed unlimited increase will not happen.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Well they will not give an unlimited increase so no point in asking. Until Metro is confirmed unlimited increase will not happen.

Passenger numbers could be close to forty five million by the time that happens in 2027 IF it ever happens in this banana republic ! Also a big part of the increase in numbers is down to transfers ...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Our bogman government will never build the metro.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Our bogman government will never build the metro.

A segregated cycle track and footpath would be a cheaper solution , expect that to replace Dublin metro come the next recesssion ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you delay building something long enough, there'll always be a recession that will come along to give you an excuse to cancel it.

At least DAA is not taxpayer funded, I spent hours going through that report and it's very impressive. They will deliver on these things, maybe a couple of years later than they might have but they will deliver.

Interesting that one of the projects for the West Apron mentioned realigning the R108, but didn't mention anything about land take. They obviously have plans to expand into those lands (there was a diagram showing a possible future extension to the plan for the satellite west terminal, going well off the current airport boundary) so this is going to have to happen sooner or later. Can DAA CPO land? There's no way a privately owned terminal on privately owned land having access to DAA owned facilities is going to happen. Might as well rip off the plaster asap.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rojomur

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Good find, might move it easier to move around that side of the airfield too . Pier E looks like it has more capacity in this photo as well.
    I wonder why they didn't go with this option. Maybe issues with being too close to R132?

I dont know. It looked like a very sensible option and as another poster said ..the new pier looked to have a good few more gates as they were on both sides of the pier ...as well as making the runway more easily accessable from the 400 gates . Maybe theres some regulation of having a runway so close to a major road?? They would on fairness be a good few metres lower when passing just above the road.??!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Can DAA CPO land? There's no way a privately owned terminal on privately owned land having access to DAA owned facilities is going to happen. Might as well rip off the plaster asap.

Dublin Corpo CPO'd buildings on O'Connell st to let a private developer build there... SO if you can cpo land in a city centre to build shops, there's likely to be a method to cpo land beside a strategic infrastructure.

Yes I imagine the daa can CPO land, I couldn’t find a list but it says that a statutory body can CPO land in Ireland for public good eg for motorways etc. So I’d extract from that that the daa has the power to take land for airport infrastructure. I imagine they would prefer to negotiate but I can only imagine the private land holders west of Dublin will ask for a large sum that will eventually lead to the daa CPOing the land for its value.

The CPO process is very quick, just weeks till someone can move in and control the land. Even appeals have to be heard in 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭plodder

Anyone know what is the construction works currently going on in the middle of the airfield. Looks like a few large concrete pads. One is circular and looks a bit like a helicopter pad. Just noticed when departing this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

plodder wrote:
    Anyone know what is the construction works currently going on in the middle of the airfield. Looks like a few large concrete pads. One is circular and looks a bit like a helicopter pad. Just noticed when departing this morning.

It's a new/relocated engine test or run-up area. Had to be moved as the current location is where the new runway will be. The blast screens can be moved too relative to the runway in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Yes I imagine the daa can CPO land, I couldn’t find a list but it says that a statutory body can CPO land in Ireland for public good eg for motorways etc. So I’d extract from that that the daa has the power to take land for airport infrastructure. I imagine they would prefer to negotiate but I can only imagine the private land holders west of Dublin will ask for a large sum that will eventually lead to the daa CPOing the land for its value.

The CPO process is very quick, just weeks till someone can move in and control the land. Even appeals have to be heard in 8 weeks.

Would they have any standing in trying to CPO the McEvaddy's land? The satellite terminal on those plans looks to be on their land

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ireland trains

Just wondering roughly how many planes use the south gates each day at the peak summer season

Would they have any standing in trying to CPO the McEvaddy's land? The satellite terminal on those plans looks to be on their land

I honestly don’t know much about CPOs, most I could find online said that the laws around CPOs are quite complex and evolving.

In terms of what I read and the McEvaddy land, if I read correctly, ownership doesn’t matter so much the statutory entity that requires the CPO is entitled to CPO the land of the owner refuses to sell. At that point they serve notice and bring in the valuers who open negotiations on the land value. Meanwhile post a CPO being lodged and required direct notice and media notice they can enter and take the land legally even before compensation is agreed. It can be quite harsh on the landowners and I guess it’s probably best to be open negotiating so it doesn’t ultimately end up in CPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I honestly don’t know much about CPOs, most I could find online said that the laws around CPOs are quite complex and evolving.

In terms of what I read and the McEvaddy land, if I read correctly, ownership doesn’t matter so much the statutory entity that requires the CPO is entitled to CPO the land of the owner refuses to sell. At that point they serve notice and bring in the valuers who open negotiations on the land value. Meanwhile post a CPO being lodged and required direct notice and media notice they can enter and take the land legally even before compensation is agreed. It can be quite harsh on the landowners and I guess it’s probably best to be open negotiating so it doesn’t ultimately end up in CPO.

Armchair lawyering, but I'd say if they tried that on lands where someone had made public plans to launch a competing terminal they'd have cause for some sort of court injunction and a messy case on the matter.

Just wondering roughly how many planes use the south gates each day at the peak summer season

It varies on day or the week and time of year but maybe 25 flights per day. As for aircraft stands are full at peak hours in morning.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I was there about 2 weeks ago (short trip to Paris) I counted 8 aircraft on stand there. So guess 8 in 1st wave with probably another 10-15 from 11am to 4pm. After that T2 is avail for A320 ops.

Noise Regulation to be debated in Dail on 4th Dec and enacted by 31st Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Noise Regulation to be debated in Dail on 4th Dec and enacted by 31st Dec.

It be done and dusted on or before Dec 19th, as that when the Christmas Recess starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I see tweets today of long queues through security on arrival with security staff apparently standing around, not working and with lanes closed. People obviously annoyed.

I can not understand this nonsense. The passport machines, for example, are often closed while there are long queues as well.

This has been going on years and years.

I think we all deserve to know what the bloody problem is?

Is this ever going to be sorted out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

I see tweets today of long queues through security on arrival with security staff apparently standing around, not working and with lanes closed. People obviously annoyed.

I can not understand this nonsense. The passport machines, for example, are often closed while there are long queues as well.

This has been going on years and years.

I think we all deserve to know what the bloody problem is?

Is this ever going to be sorted out?

The tweet which you've pretty much quoted verbatim mentions nothing of arrivals. So I would take it to mean departures, considering there is no security checks after arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

The tweet which you've pretty much quoted verbatim mentions nothing of arrivals. So I would take it to mean departures, considering there is no security checks after arrival.

Thanks Stephen, I didn’t want to point out that obvious point!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Customs looking for fags and booze?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

theguzman wrote: »
    Customs looking for fags and booze?

If you read the tweet, it very clearly refers to security in Departures. Customs spot checks are not a security check.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/108537889

A thread dedicated to it no less!

Apologies for the poor link, I'm on mobile, but it is the right thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ireland trains

Does anyone know what all the work on the airfield and beside some gate at T2 is?
    Cheers

Does anyone know what all the work on the airfield and beside some gate at T2 is?
    Cheers

Apron rehabilitation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭trellheim

Just so people are aware departure security screening is very poorly manned, at least INIS try and man all their booths.

Never more than 10 belts at Dublin T1 manned, when there are 14 there - so infrastructure wont help as theres always at least 4 idle belts and scanners.

1) DAA staff the thing properly
    2) take the idle people off the boarding pass scanners and get the redshirts to do more
    3) put a proper SLA in place
    4) train the redshirts to help out in screening at peak times

I think people are unaware but DAA get on average €11 per head to do that screening - so kick up and complain - last year an average of 81000 people used the airport every day so its not far off a million a day paid to DAA just to have it badly manned - so kick up and complain

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The staff that were in T1 on Monday afternoon were somewhat over zealous. I travel 40 weeks a years for the past 4/5 years and I haven't experienced anything anywhere like it anywhere else before. The two girls on that lane insisted that every single cable, accessory, and dongle be removed and re-scanned. And I mean every single thing in the bag. Even more annoying was that they insisted I repack it all in the standard collection area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

For most of the last while, this thread has been used to discuss the Dublin North Runway and related infrastructure issues, and in recent days, it's become the dumping ground for complaints about how the airport security system operates.

No More please, if you want to complain about the way DAA security operates, or does not, start a separate thread.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement