Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only 600 out of 66,700 new jobs created in the South East Region last year!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

road_high wrote: »
    I have to take issue and disagree here- the south east is a fantastic location with some major plus points- it’s just that’s it’s not on the government radar as the political representatives are so abysmal. Contrast with cork and limerick regions that have had an endless parade of senior ministries. They make a huge difference as regards directing policy and investment.
    I’m pretty shocked at the figures too as I thought generally things were on the up.

So you are agreeing with me? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Muttley79 wrote: »
    The problem with Waterford is its geographically in no mans land,we are the only county from Munster in the south east region.wexford Kilkenny and Carlow being Leinster aligned themselves to dublin many years ago,cork and limerick are the main drivers of Munster,we have suffered negligence from governments and businesses for many years now,will it improve anytime soon? Probably not.ok we have this north quays been developed,great to see it hopefully happen,is it a game changer for Waterford?will help,but we need investment in employment in this region,cork and limerick are getting billions pumped into it over the next twenty years,take the north quays out of the ireland 2040 plan and let’s be honest we only got crumbs from the government again

Move Waterford into Leinster :cool:..I think seriously though, Cork and Limerick do hoover up all that's going in Munster (they're very good at it too) in what is a fairly small province and yes Waterford does get caught as it's main hinterland is south Leinster and where it's motorway and railway line connects to.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Last Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform (the spending Dept.) was Wexford, current Minister for State in Finance is Wexford, current Minister for State in the Dept. Taoiseach is Wexford, current Minister for State in Housing is Kilkenny, last Minister for Environment was Kilkenny.

Forgot that alright and they have borne the fruits of that with good state jobs (EPA and DAFM) as well as M11/N25 upgrades that were fast tracked. Not complaining though as they do benefit the SE as workers in surrounding counties benefit too.
    Junior Ministries aren't much use though, the real power and influence is at Senior level. I do feel they should be allocated on a population basis rather than the likes of Cork, Dublin, Mayo et al getting the bulk in voque with the govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Forgot that alright and they have borne the fruits of that with good state jobs (EPA and DAFM) as well as M11/N25 upgrades that were fast tracked. Not complaining though as they do benefit the SE as workers in surrounding counties benefit too.
    Junior Ministries aren't much use though, the real power and influence is at Senior level. I do feel they should be allocated on a population basis rather than the likes of Cork, Dublin, Mayo et al getting the bulk in voque with the govt.

Depending on the role, most Ministers for State are not too influential, with the exception of Helen McEntee and Paul Keogh. However, some of them are in those posts for helping to provide support in key internal battles, which obviously adds to their weight.

This current cabinet is quite well spread geographically. I'd rather see talent being represented than just location or gender, but you need diversity.

There has been debate about a list system which other countries have, but I don't think it'd work in Ireland.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Depending on the role, most Ministers for State are not too influential, with the exception of Helen McEntee and Paul Keogh. However, some of them are in those posts for helping to provide support in key internal battles, which obviously adds to their weight.

This current cabinet is quite well spread geographically. I'd rather see talent being represented than just location or gender, but you need diversity.

There has been debate about a list system which other countries have, but I don't think it'd work in Ireland.

Fair point but I'm rarely blown over by the talent from any of them so it's much of a muchness most of the time!
    I don't think it's very well spread geogrpahically- Dublin is only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the population is way overepresented in my opinion. Simon Harris is technically Wicklow but is more or less Dublin and of little benefit to the south east part of the county.
    I'd always acknolwdge Martin Cullen as without him I doubt we'd have a nice M9 motorway at all which illustrates what they can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Fair point but I'm rarely blown over by the talent from any of them so it's much of a muchness most of the time!
    I don't think it's very well spread geogrpahically- Dublin is only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the population is way overepresented in my opinion. Simon Harris is technically Wicklow but is more or less Dublin and of little benefit to the south east part of the county.
    I'd always acknolwdge Martin Cullen as without him I doubt we'd have a nice M9 motorway at all which illustrates what they can do.

I think Simon Harris and the residents of Greystones would argue with you there, it'd be like saying Carrick on Suir, Clonmel and Mullinavat were more or less Waterford.

About half of the front bench is Dublin, but only two I think of the 17 Ministers for State are from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Move Waterford into Leinster :cool:..I think seriously though, Cork and Limerick do hoover up all that's going in Munster (they're very good at it too) in what is a fairly small province and yes Waterford does get caught as it's main hinterland is south Leinster and where it's motorway and railway line connects to.

I've always maintained that Dublin literally looks right past us due to Cork's location - they are obsessed with keeping them and the wesht (read Galway) happy (appreciate that Corkonians will completely disagree with this!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

IMO geography of SE has very little to nothing to do with it, lack of government representation pretty much everything.ask donegal people how being up in one corner by themselves working out for them.we could be working better together as a region too, no one surprised to hear that at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Re. Wexford - (where my people come from) - it's hard to take a constituency that has repeatedly elected a tax cheat like Mick Wallace seriously.

As for Waterford, it has a long-standing reputation of being a city where Trade Unions screwed employers, and an image like that is very difficult to shake off, especially when there are so many alternatives available.

Just my ha'penny worth. Feel free to throw rocks at me if ye wish.

Max Powers wrote: »
    IMO geography of SE has very little to nothing to do with it, lack of government representation pretty much everything.ask donegal people how being up in one corner by themselves working out for them.we could be working better together as a region too, no one surprised to hear that at this stage.

Even that is hamstrung by mad loyalties and the spread of reasonable sized towns within the region - Clonmel, Wexford, Carlow, Kilkenny all of whom work against each other and Waterford as the notional hub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Squatter wrote: »
    Re. Wexford - (where my people come from) - it's hard to take a constituency that has repeatedly elected a tax cheat like Mick Wallace seriously.

As for Waterford, it has a long-standing reputation of being a city where Trade Unions screwed employers, and an image like that is very difficult to shake off, especially when there are so many alternatives available.

Just my ha'penny worth. Feel free to throw rocks at me if ye wish.

Where one trade union screwed one employer is what you really mean. With entirely predictable results. Don't see much evidence of anything else or any other union screwing anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Squatter wrote: »

Yeah Wexford TD's
    - Mick Wallace = Tax Cheat
    - Paul Kehoe = Useless, brown-noser to Enda Kenny, must pinch himself every day as to how he's still there.
    - John Browne = Daddy's vote.
    - Brendan Howlin = leftie vote in Wexford.
    - Don't know who the other is and not bothered googling.

Waterford TD's
    - John Halligan = Thought he could broker deal in North Korea.
    - Don't even know who else they have, some FG lad?

If you don't get better people to run in Wexford/Waterford and vote for than Mick Wallace and John Halligan, don't expect anything better. Sad reflection that those 2 names came to mind first.

Is Martin Cullen still minding those e-voting machines? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Yeah Wexford TD's
    - Paul Kehoe = Useless, brown-noser to Enda Kenny, must pinch himself every day as to how he's still there.

Waterford TD's

If you don't get better people to run in Wexford/Waterford and vote for than Mick Wallace and John Halligan, don't expect anything better. Sad reflection that those 2 names came to mind first.

Is Martin Cullen still minding those e-voting machines? :(

Martin Cullen did more for this city than any other TD in recent history. Whether you like it nort. He was also our last senior minister. We need to have polticians with influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Martin Cullen did more for this city than any other TD in recent history. Whether you like it nort. He was also our last senior minister. We need to have polticians with influence.

While wasting 40m for the exchequer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yeah Wexford TD's
    :(

Michael Darcy Fine Gael

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

While wasting 40m for the exchequer :D

A problem he inherited, he didn't create it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Yeah Wexford TD's

Waterford TD's

Deasy junior is the FGer - likes a sneaky smoke from time to time.

There's also that useless Shinner David Cullamore or Cullinan or somesuch. Used to be Mr. Funchion, but she dumped him.

Deay might as well not even exist - is he off in the States on some mission to drum up interest in ireland? I think so.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well, that statistic says it all people.

Yis know what you need to do in the next election...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Deay might as well not even exist - is he off in the States on some mission to drum up interest in ireland? I think so.

Deasy's position is bizarre - Special envoy to the USA

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/leo-varadkar-appoints-john-deasy-as-special-us-envoy-1.3139557

Like, what do we have an Ambassador and all his staff for?

Deasy has exhibited zero interest in the constituency from day one. He has remained stony silent on every issue we have faced. It will be a vote as comparably stupid as Brexit if FG voters don't replace him with Paudie Coffey next time around (if he goes forward that is, being a TD does seem to be a bit of chore that occasionally gets in the way of his travel hobby).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Deasy's position is bizarre - Special envoy to the USA

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/leo-varadkar-appoints-john-deasy-as-special-us-envoy-1.3139557

Like, what do we have an Ambassador and all his staff for?

Deasy has exhibited zero interest in the constituency from day one. He has remained stony silent on every issue we have faced. It will be a vote as comparably stupid as Brexit if FG voters don't replace him with Paudie Coffey next time around (if he goes forward that is, being a TD does seem to be a bit of chore that occasionally gets in the way of his travel hobby).

Correction; Deasy has been very active in pursuit of University status..........for Dungarvan :rolleyes: https://www.johndeasytd.com/news/dungarvan-moves-step-closer-to-being-us-university-town
    As far as I can see, he thinks his constituency is actually called West Waterford and not Waterford, doesn't give a fiddlers for the city's agenda. Wouldn't be surprised if his whole raison d'etre for being in Washington was to lobby Mercyhurst College further re their Dungarvan 'campus'. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

so have read a few times here ... we know what to do a the next election...
    so whats the viable options???

lets hear who you would vote for and why...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

robtri wrote: »

No viable options I’m afraid. The only way Waterford could gain real power in the dail is to run a group of independents on a South East alliance ticket. Such cooperation will never happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭JimWinters

Independents will have very little power again! Even with a junior minister we can see how little they can deliver. Unfortunately we need to vote Paudie Coffey, and John Cummins if he gets on the ticket for FG and Eddie Mulligan for FF to make sure Waterford has a seat at the table with the big boys in the next government and further into the future.

I’m not a fan of any of the above but if we don’t vote them in, we’ll be at the bottom of the list for years to come... I’d be more than happy to see an alternative that will be in a position to deliver for Waterford but don’t see any at the minute...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

JimWinters wrote: »

Independents will have very little power again! Even with a junior minister we can see how little they can deliver. Unfortunately we need to vote Paudie Coffey, and John Cummins if he gets on the ticket for FG and Eddie Mulligan for FF to make sure Waterford has a seat at the table with the big boys in the next government and further into the future.

I’m not a fan of any of the above but if we don’t vote them in, we’ll be at the bottom of the list for years to come... I’d be more than happy to see an alternative that will be in a position to deliver for Waterford but don’t see any at the minute...
    Yeah vote FG AND FF. That'll really show em! This is fcukin mindless stuff like and it's terrifying the amount of people who think the same way. Slave mentality.

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Yeah vote FG AND FF. That'll really show em! This is fcukin mindless stuff like and it's terrifying the amount of people who think the same way. Slave mentality.

Hardly slave mentality, but thanks for your response. If Independents formed an alliance before the election with a cohesive manifest then yes, I would vote for them.

If not, we’ll have a crowd of independents in opposition where they can deliver nothing for Waterford. If we play the game and vote FG FF we’d have a chance of getting something. Paudie would be a strong candidate for at least a junior ministry and we’d have someone to state our case at the top. If not we’ll never have anything. A protest vote for 4 independents or 3 & SF TD will never achieve results. I’m not interested in “showing them”, just what’s best for the City & County. I’m not mindless thanks, each to their own...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Hardly slave mentality, but thanks for your response. If Independents formed an alliance before the election with a cohesive manifest then yes, I would vote for them.

If not, we’ll have a crowd of independents in opposition where they can deliver nothing for Waterford. If we play the game and vote FG FF we’d have a chance of getting something. Paudie would be a strong candidate for at least a junior ministry and we’d have someone to state our case at the top. If not we’ll never have anything. A protest vote for 4 independents or 3 & SF TD will never achieve results. I’m not interested in “showing them”, just what’s best for the City & County. I’m not mindless thanks, each to their own...

Independents are like a blind date. You just don't know what way the wind is blowing!

We'll get nothing anyway. What has licking up to the main parties ever gotten us? They know they can run a bagman or some cretin from a local dynasty and have a gold plated seat, maybe even a pair each and every time. No incentive to deliver whatsoever, just rinse, repeat and see ya next time.

We'll get nothing anyway. What has licking up to the main parties ever gotten us? They know they can run a bagman or some cretin from a local dynasty and have a gold plated seat, maybe even a pair each and every time. No incentive to deliver whatsoever, just rinse, repeat and see ya next time.

Firstly, I’m no fan of any of the main parties or the TDs we have currently. I do think Paudie now knows how quickly he will be voted out if he doesn’t deliver, that should motivate him to work hard!

Secondly, when it comes to licking up to the main party, we keep voting in the wrong candidates. Mary Butler was a poor choice, Paudie would have been a much better voice than Deasy.

I was never a huge fan of Martin Cullen’s but I think it would be unfair to say he didn’t deliver. WIT got 5 new buildings under his watch, we got the outer ring road, the bypass, second bridge, hospital upgrade to regional hospital, huge funding for sports clubs in the county and more.

Since we lost that representation, we’ve only had downgrade after downgrade. If our neighbours have better TDs than us in government then they’ll continue to eat our dinner and we’ll be left with nothing.

• Advertisement

Firstly, I’m no fan of any of the main parties or the TDs we have currently. I do think Paudie now knows how quickly he will be voted out if he doesn’t deliver, that should motivate him to work hard!

Secondly, when it comes to licking up to the main party, we keep voting in the wrong candidates. Mary Butler was a poor choice, Paudie would have been a much better voice than Deasy.

I was never a huge fan of Martin Cullen’s but I think it would be unfair to say he didn’t deliver. WIT got 5 new buildings under his watch, we got the outer ring road, the bypass, second bridge, hospital upgrade to regional hospital, huge funding for sports clubs in the county and more.

Since we lost that representation, we’ve only had downgrade after downgrade. If our neighbours have better TDs than us in government then they’ll continue to eat our dinner and we’ll be left with nothing.
    Its all nibbling around the edges junk though. The kind of stuff Dublin and Cork dont mind letting us have to pacify us for a while. Here have a road, few buildings, few quid for the community centre, grand lads. Not anything important though, University? Tell ye what ye can call yerselves a mickey mouse (technological) university if ye jump through hoops for us, see where that gets ya.

Playing the game has been tried. Topple the table. Fcuk the game.

Advertisement