Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

The reviews on Amazon have it as being very decent in that price bracket. It's probably a decent option to get your started.

Note, you've started down a long path, you'll be back here in 12-18 months asking about upgrades.....:)

That's what I'm thinking :) A nice espresso is pretty much the only vice I have so I'd like to enjoy a good quality one when I do. Didn't want to break the bank on the machine but will see how it goes.

This Bodum seems to be better regarded in terms on espresso grind so will keep an eye on that one maybe

https://www.amazon.co.uk/10903-01UK-Bistro-Electric-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B00525XKL4/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1540812009&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=bodum+grinder

limnam wrote: »
    It'd be fine for something like a mocha pot.

There's no real point "cheaping" out on the grinder.

Your just wasting money.

I'd hold off until you can afford something that's going to give you a consistent grind. That De longhi is not it.

Thanks, will keep an eye out on what bargains pop up. Might see something Black Friday or the big red chap might pick one up for me.

In the meantime I might chance the Rave Espresso taster pack and get it ground and stick to 250g packs to keep as fresh as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

If you can handle the inconvenience of time/energy expended, something like a Hario Mini Mill will give you the cheapest serviceable consistent grind for espresso, given some dosing tweaks. Used one with a Rancilio Silvia with great effect for a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I've funnily enough went through the exact grinder options given on this thread (Hario>Delonghi>Sage in that order).

Hario Mini Mill is great - I still have it and use it when travelling anywhere with an Aeropress. I used it for 2 years and didn't really get sick of it, but you do need to consider making coffee a ritual of sorts as it's a bit of a slog grinding for espresso with it.

I moved on to the Delonghi after that as someone bought it for me as a gift. It can't grind fine enough for espresso out of the box, but there's a hack that involves opening it up and chopping off a little bit of plastic that stops the burrs from touching that allows it to grind fine enough. I used it for about a year, but it is definitely a little inconsistent and I noticed a big step up with the the Sage.

I use the Sage daily now and it's great. I picked it up for £99 when it dropped on Amazon momentarily. I love it - not problems with it at all - lots of nice little features.

Bawnmore wrote: »
    I've funnily enough went through the exact grinder options given on this thread (Hario>Delonghi>Sage in that order).

Hario Mini Mill is great - I still have it and use it when travelling anywhere with an Aeropress. I used it for 2 years and didn't really get sick of it, but you do need to consider making coffee a ritual of sorts as it's a bit of a slog grinding for espresso with it.

I moved on to the Delonghi after that as someone bought it for me as a gift. It can't grind fine enough for espresso out of the box, but there's a hack that involves opening it up and chopping off a little bit of plastic that stops the burrs from touching that allows it to grind fine enough. I used it for about a year, but it is definitely a little inconsistent and I noticed a big step up with the the Sage.

I use the Sage daily now and it's great. I picked it up for £99 when it dropped on Amazon momentarily. I love it - not problems with it at all - lots of nice little features.
    Thanks for the input. Don't mind the idea of the whole ritual thing, its just getting the time to do it so need something convenient.

From the input on here I think I'll make do with ground coffee for the moment and I'm gonna keep an eye on the Sage. Had noticed it dropped to 99 on camel camel camel so I've an alert set up and will pick it up if it drops again.

Don't want to go wasting 40 and 50 here and there on cheaper alternatives when they won't do the job I need and I could be putting that towards the Sage.

• Advertisement

I paid €11 for 250g of single origin coffee (Kianderi AB, Kenya) in Nick's Coffee in Ranelagh and €12 for 250g of single origin coffee (Marcala Los Ceibos, Honduras) in Baobab in Celbridge.

Where could I get the same quality, or better, cheaper online? Initially at any rate, I'd like to have a sort of selection box of very good coffees to taste them all and decide which I like most. Any suggestions for a coffee and a seller?

Also, does that Discount Coffee Ireland website sell any top quality coffees at good prices? If so, what would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I haven't tried the coffees you mention so can't speak for comparable taste, but you could look at https://www.ponaire.ie/

Prices would be typically be more like €30 per kg than over €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I see Bailies and Rave have their Christmas blends up now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

I see Bailies and Rave have their Christmas blends up now :-)

Thanks caviardreams.

https://www.bailiescoffee.com/collections/christmas-gifts/products/microlot-coffee-subscription-free-keepcup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Anyone have any recommendations for a subscription that gives different roasters each month? Everything I have found so far has been from a specific roaster but just want to see what all the options are before going for anything specific. Will be looking for 1-2 bags per month, probably go for a 6 month sub at first but wouldn't rule out a 12 month one either really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

I don't know of any like that, all of the subs that I'm aware of are from single roasteries sending a different coffee each month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I don't know of any like that, all of the subs that I'm aware of are from single roasteries sending a different coffee each month.

No worries; guess I'll just have to whittle down the list from 3FE, Badger & Dodo, Bell Lane, Bailies, etc...

Any tips/recommendations welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Anyone have any recommendations for a subscription that gives different roasters each month? Everything I have found so far has been from a specific roaster but just want to see what all the options are before going for anything specific. Will be looking for 1-2 bags per month, probably go for a 6 month sub at first but wouldn't rule out a 12 month one either really.

The only service I know that does that is Barista Hustle and it is a bit expensive for international shipping. It would be a nice service though!

No worries; guess I'll just have to whittle down the list from 3FE, Badger & Dodo, Bell Lane, Bailies, etc...

Any tips/recommendations welcome!

I've just finished 12 months of 3fe, and I loved it, fresh beans each month and not knowing what was coming, it was great.

I've just ordered 6 months of Bailies because it came with a keep-cup that looked nice, and felt like a change.

I like B&D too, and will probably do 6 months of them once the Bailies is finished.

The reviews on Amazon have it as being very decent in that price bracket. It's probably a decent option to get your started.

Note, you've started down a long path, you'll be back here in 12-18 months asking about upgrades.....:)

As predicted I'm back. DeLonghi coffee machine packed it in so returned it to Amazon. Never got round to getting grinder that time so have gone ahead and Ordered the Sage Barista Express which has a grinder in the machine.

Machine should be here tomorrow, really looking forward to getting stuck in. Just ordered 1kg bag of Rave's Colombia Suarez beans and the Espresso Taster pack to get me started :)

skerry wrote: »
    Machine should be here tomorrow, really looking forward to getting stuck in. Just ordered 1kg bag of Rave's Colombia Suarez beans and the Espresso Taster pack to get me started :)

This is sublime if you ask me! A really lovely bean - enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

got some beans from https://www.westcorkcoffee.ie roasted on the same day they were shipped and had them less than 24 hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

shanec1928 wrote: »
    got some beans from https://www.westcorkcoffee.ie roasted on the same day they were shipped and had them less than 24 hours later.

Did you drink any yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

limnam wrote: »
    Did you drink any yet?
    I did, was given a sample of the Kenya - Gicherori, which was lovely and currently working my way through Brazil - Fazenda Sertão [Women Producers] with one of the ethiopian blends waiting afterwards. So far so good. will defiantly order again from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

shanec1928 wrote: »

Works out at €52.82 per Kg. I just got some Indian Tiger Stripes from Adams & Russel which works out at €26.13 per Kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

cnocbui wrote: »
    Works out at €52.82 per Kg. I just got some Indian Tiger Stripes from Adams & Russel which works out at €26.13 per Kg.
    Perhaps in small quantities, but their beans are €35/€36 per kg delivered, which while still pretty expensive, is competitive with Bailies, Coffeemojo and B&D etc. Admittedly, you'd get 2Kg of your Indian Tiger Stripes for that price.

What are the Adam and Russel beans like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Pe

Really nice coffee from them.

Just on the Bell Lane single origin costa rica las palomas - lovely. Nicer than the previous ethopian one I tried imo. Have been very impressed with their new single origin range and good value with the 20% off code at the moment - hope it lasts a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I've been buying green beans from them and they're superb and interesting. I'd assume the roasted beans are too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

To change things up for a bit I ordered some Suarez Columbia from Rave rather than my usual local medium roast blend. I've dialled it in and am getting exactly a 60ml double after 29 seconds but I'm getting very little crema compared to my usual blend. The beans were roasted on the 24th April so should be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Bought a bag of Tiger Stripes from Adams and Russel - shipped today so might have tomorrow, but likely early next week.

Has anyone tried Upside?
    Pricing looks competitive
    https://www.upsidecoffee.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I've been buying green beans from them and they're superb and interesting. I'd assume the roasted beans are too!

How are you roasting them?

Sorry if it's been discussed before :)

Has anyone tried Upside?
    Pricing looks competitive
    https://www.upsidecoffee.com/

no subscription option is putting me off

• Advertisement

no subscription option is putting me off

I'm just looking for a one off order of a few bags and they do free delivery over 35 euro, but not much info on roast dates etc. From what I can see which of putting me off!

Advertisement