Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I don't believe it's possible for human to do this, I'm fairly certain bikeshops use some form of secret alien to do it.

You are correct, earthling...

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'm going to try recable a bike later on for the first time ever. I fully expect to make a mess of it.

That feeling when I got the bar tape on all nice only to realise I'd not wrapped the cables was something i'll not forget in a hurry or a mistake i'll make again :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Didn't get as far as recabling, took off the BB, and found inside the frame had rust and gunk stuck on. got id say 90 % of it off , wash and dried and installed a square taper bb and a 48/32 chainset. Felt I had to adjust the derailleur a little bit, and messed that up so can't get it to shift in to the big ring.

My tool for installing said bb, was a bit rubbish too, and I neglected to note the screw which holds the cable guide in place kind of extruding in the BB, made for an interesting time.

I'm half thinking I've damaged the BB and ruined the threads, but it's done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Based on some of the responses above, I think I’ll leave the installation to the experts :D

Next questions are related to the BB...I realise I need the groupset and cables, but is a new BB recommended? The one on my bike (bike is 2.5 yrs old, done > 5000k, regularly serviced) is actually compatible with the new groupset. However, I don’t know if it is advisable to start “clean” on everything. Also, the advice for the new groupset says you can use the BB I already have or a pressfit one...is there any benefit switching to a pressfit BB?

For clarity, the BB options are the Shimano BBR60 or Shimano Road Pressfit (new groupset will be Ultegra R8000)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Front disc is loose on the disc brake. It's rattles when I cycle. Is it safe to continue cycling on it and will it do any damage?

I'm bringing it in after payday for a service.

Is it an easy fix, if I were to do it myself?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it's just a case of tightening some bolts, then i'd do that immediately. no way would i want a front brake i have doubts over.

@Edit, get a new BB. They're cheap, and some of them are easy to install. My struggles last night where due to my own inattentiveness.

Anyway, I'm giving up. The front derailleur won't cooperate with the new chainset. Think the chainset has a wider spindle or q factor?,

I was dropping the FD a mere 2-3 mm, but mayve gone slightly too far. No amount of adjustment can fix it from me.

Off to the lbs with it, and I'll get them to recable it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Front disc is loose on the disc brake. It's rattles when I cycle. Is it safe to continue cycling on it and will it do any damage?

I'm bringing it in after payday for a service.

Is it an easy fix, if I were to do it myself?

The bolts would get a fair bit of jarring around so if they were installed without thread lock, I could see them working slightly loose.

If it’s a 6 bolt disc it’s normally a TORX T20/25. Easy job to do yourself, just tighten them diagonally so they are tightened down evenly.

...I'm giving up. The front derailleur won't cooperate with the new chainset. Think the chainset has a wider spindle or q factor?,

I was dropping the FD a mere 2-3 mm, but mayve gone slightly too far. No amount of adjustment can fix it from me.

Off to the lbs with it, and I'll get them to recable it anyway

Check the limits, obviously, but also confirm that the inner wire is routed correctly under the pinch bolt - putting it in the wrong side of the bolt (or the wrong wide of any guide-pin or boss) changes the effective length of the cable pull-arm and will screw up the pull-ratio of the shifter.

Type 17 wrote: »
    Check the limits, obviously, but also confirm that the inner wire is routed correctly under the pinch bolt - putting it in the wrong side of the bolt (or the wrong wide of any guide-pin or boss) changes the effective length of the cable pull-arm and will screw up the pull-ratio of the shifter.

Cables are well overdue a change, so just doing them might be the solution. Still I'll leave it in I guess, I've another bike needing new cables and it's a little more straightforward so I'll do that one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

@Edit, get a new BB. They're cheap, and some of them are easy to install.
    or else do what i did and leave the old one in; if it's OK, it's OK, so don't make work for yourself. plus, i loathe throwing things out unless they are actually shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

EDit wrote: »
    Based on some of the responses above, I think I’ll leave the installation to the experts :D

Next questions are related to the BB...I realise I need the groupset and cables, but is a new BB recommended? The one on my bike (bike is 2.5 yrs old, done > 5000k, regularly serviced) is actually compatible with the new groupset. However, I don’t know if it is advisable to start “clean” on everything. Also, the advice for the new groupset says you can use the BB I already have or a pressfit one...is there any benefit switching to a pressfit BB?

For clarity, the BB options are the Shimano BBR60 or Shimano Road Pressfit (new groupset will be Ultegra R8000)

Unless the BB is rough I would leave it alone. Bearings don't need to be changed until they start running rough. 5,000k would be very low mileage to be wearing one out. I have nearly 16,000km on one I installed last year and have run it every day through every imaginable weather. Until there's play in the bearings, it won't be changed.

Deano12345 wrote: »
    The bolts would get a fair bit of jarring around so if they were installed without thread lock, I could see them working slightly loose.

If it’s a 6 bolt disc it’s normally a TORX T20/25. Easy job to do yourself, just tighten them diagonally so they are tightened down evenly.

Where are the bolts that need tightening? See attached!

There's a good old rattle off it now. It's the actual disc part that is loose. It makes a fair bit of noise when i go over any bump now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭cletus

It looks like all the bolts (machine screws really) are gone. Have a look at the rear disc to compare, but the series of holes near the centre are where they would usually be

cletus wrote: »
    It looks like all the bolts (machine screws really) are gone. Have a look at the rear disc to compare, but the series of holes near the centre are where they would usually be

Cheers, is it safe to cycle? I don't want to go ass over tits this evening.

Cheers, is it safe to cycle? I don't want to go ass over tits this evening.

Did you compare to the rear disc to confirm its bolted on?

Did you compare to the rear disc to confirm its bolted on?

Yeah, they're both the same. I can wiggle the front disc, the back one is held firm.

There's holes in both discs and they are resting into plastic struts sticking out. Is that where you're saying the bolts should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Yeah, they're both the same. I can wiggle the front disc, the back one is held firm.

There's holes in both discs and they are resting into plastic struts sticking out. Is that where you're saying the bolts should be?

Hang on a second boys. That's a 6 bolt disk plus an adapter on a centre-lock hub, so forget everything mentioned above. You need to take the wheel off, get a Shimano cassette tool (which also works on centre-lock lock rings) and use it to tighten the black ring (the bit that says "Lock 40Nms") that holds everything together. If you don't have one take it to a bike shop. They'll do it in 30 seconds.

Yep, just took a closer look at the picture. Ray, it's the black circle with the "Lock 40N.m" printed on it. The plastic pins locate the disc

*Edit* apologies, only seeing the post above mine now

TychoCaine wrote: »
    Hang on a second boys. That's a 6 bolt disk plus an adapter on a centre-lock hub, so forget everything mentioned above. You need to take the wheel off, get a Shimano cassette tool (which also works on centre-lock lock rings) and use it to tighten the black ring (the bit that says "Lock 40Nms") that holds everything together. If you don't have one take it to a bike shop. They'll do it in 30 seconds.
    Yep, just took a closer look at the picture. Ray, it's the black circle with the "Lock 40N.m" printed on it. The plastic pins locate the disc

*Edit* apologies, only seeing the post above mine now

Thanks lads, i'll spin by the LBS tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

If you're near D8 I have the tool needed, will take 2 seconds

If you're near D8 I have the tool needed, will take 2 seconds

Cheers for the offer Jimmy. I'm going to drop it in to be serviced this evening altogether though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

How fast do you guys go through brake pads? I've changed my commuter from a MTB with disk brakes to a road bike with normal ones & seem to have gone through a set of rear pads in c. 1k km. Are they just a bad compound (came with bike) or is that relatively normal?

Just want to know as I'll stock up on them if it's normal enough. My commute is Stephens green to Foxrock church, if that makes any odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Wondering if people can point me in the right direction for bricks and mortar shop that has good stock for mountain bike gear - been looking online and it is too hard to size for my 13 year old. Am in Dublin. Looking for elbow/knee/wrist guards, helmet with detachable full face.

Thanks.

How fast do you guys go through brake pads? I've changed my commuter from a MTB with disk brakes to a road bike with normal ones & seem to have gone through a set of rear pads in c. 1k km. Are they just a bad compound (came with bike) or is that relatively normal?

Just want to know as I'll stock up on them if it's normal enough. My commute is Stephens green to Foxrock church, if that makes any odds.

It varies greatly, based on stuff like pad compound, weather conditions (probably the biggest factor - wet weather means more grit sticking to surfaces/more wear of rim/pads) and your bike/rider combined weight and route (some good hills on your route).

If you're wearing the rears before the fronts, try using the fronts more (ie: using them more equally). Fronts do more work, all things being equal (weight thrown forward while braking), so they should be wearing more quickly, or at least equally to the rears.

As a general rule, softer pads provide better stopping, but wear faster, harder pads last longer, but aren't as 'grippy'. ie: If you find pads wearing too fast, try a harder compound, but be aware that their stopping power might be poorer.

Type 17 wrote: »
    It varies greatly, based on stuff like pad compound, weather conditions (probably the biggest factor - wet weather means more grit sticking to surfaces/more wear of rim/pads) and your bike/rider combined weight and route (some good hills on your route).

If you're wearing the rears before the fronts, try using the fronts more (ie: using them more equally). Fronts do more work, all things being equal (weight thrown forward while braking), so they should be wearing more quickly, or at least equally to the rears.

As a general rule, softer pads provide better stopping, but wear faster, harder pads last longer, but aren't as 'grippy'. ie: If you find pads wearing too fast, try a harder compound, but be aware that their stopping power might be poorer.

Ah I guess I'm just going to have to stock up so! I'm 105kg plus the bike, cycle in all weather & prefer brakes to be as grippy as possible.

I also must start using the front brakes, I rarely use them tbh!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I also must start using the front brakes, I rarely use them tbh!

I was the same when I was younger but after having it explained to me, I learned that the front brakes are the most important and should be used far more often. I rarely use my back brakes at all now.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I was the same when I was younger but after having it explained to me, I learned that the front brakes are the most important and should be used far more often. I rarely use my back brakes at all now.

I suppose my instinct is should I skid the rear wheel under braking I've a better chance of managing the bike, if I was to lose the front I'd lose my front teeth!

I tend to use the rear, then feather the front sort of similar to how ABS works, I must read up on a better technique

CramCycle wrote: »

wat

I only use the front brakes to stop the bike rolling away when i'm scratching my arse at traffic lights.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ask Google and Sheldon will answer:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

Advertisement