Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

dahat wrote:
    Sealed bearings, they felt as rough before taking the axle out.

Moisture can sometimes penetrate the seal if it has moved slightly but its unlikely. Is it possible to buy a new bearing. If they are cheap it might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Odd one today... Chain jumped off the chainring when I shifted gears on the rear.

Crankset is a 9 speed double but with no front derailleur (running as a 1x), I noticed afterwards that the chain slaps a little on shifting gear... enough to jump off I guess.

New chain, properly sized. Dunno how to avoid the same happening again short of running a derailleur on the front that I won't use.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Moisture can sometimes penetrate the seal if it has moved slightly but its unlikely. Is it possible to buy a new bearing. If they are cheap it might be worth a try.

I think I'd have to buy a new axle, it's a spare set so no mad urgency to get it. I might see can I get some grease further into the bearing tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dahat wrote: »
    I think I'd have to buy a new axle, it's a spare set so no mad urgency to get it. I might see can I get some grease further into the bearing tomorrow.
    In my experience. Look pedals can fail dramatically once they lose their smoothness. It has happened to me on 2 occasions while out on a ride (on one of those occasions, I had to cycle 25k home with one leg :)). I now just change them when the smoothness goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭dahat

In my experience. Look pedals can fail dramatically once they lose their smoothness. It has happened to me on 2 occasions while out on a ride (on one of those occasions, I had to cycle 25k home with one leg :)). I now just change them when the smoothness goes.

After some Googling that seems to be the case. A new pair of axels would be €45 or so which wouldn't be the worst case senario.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    After some Googling that seems to be the case. A new pair of axels would be €45 or so which wouldn't be the worst case senario.
    Incidentally for me, the left one always seems to go before the right. I'm not sure why, but possibly because I always unclip on the left at junctions, lights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Can anyone recommend something for each of the following;

1-Grease/Lube for pedals & bolts
    2-Chain Lube
    3-Degreaser for cleaning drivetrain

Cheers in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

For Me:

1 Park Tool Polylube

2 Muc off Dry Ceramic (note I do not intentionally ride in the rain)

3 Halfords BikeHut citrus degreaser

I'm sure there will be different suggestion but I use those.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i find the 'no more dirty bike' stuff you sometimes see in dealz is just fine for cleaning the chain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I like Fenwicks Foaming DeGreaser for chain and cassette. But I use whatever degreaser I have to hand anyway and a brush or cloth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

3 Halfords BikeHut citrus degreaser

+1
    I find it surprisingly good and it is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Don't wait for a black friday deal to change your brake pads... :(

466298.jpg

466299.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

brake

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

darconio wrote: »
    Don't wait for a black Friday deal to change your brake pads... :(

Given the uneven wear between the two pads, you should check whether or not one of the pistons in your calliper is seized...

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Type 17 wrote: »
    Given the uneven wear between the two pads, you should check whether or not one of the pistons in your calliper is seized...

I followed this guide to clean it up

It looks like I had a "lazy" seal (on top of the damage the "lazy" owner did to the rest of the brake system) :o

Good job, the Park Tool channel is one of the best on YouTube for bike maintenance.

As you fit the new pads, etc, ensure that both of the pads/pistons do actually move in and out when you pull the lever (ie: that you have actually fixed the lazy piston/seal).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

a basic cleaning question, is it ok to use a power washer on a bike? its an older bike, not worried about resale value but at the same time if it would cause unnecessary wear and tear or rust anywhere i dont want to accelerate the bike's demise

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Don't do it - old or new bike, you'll force water into the bearing races, contaminating the grease, making it lose its lubrication properties and rusting the bearings.

Here's a six month-old rear hub that I had to service, when it began to rumble. It's very common...

Rs4OHOv.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not sure on the need for a power washer, why not just use a regular garden hose pipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not sure on the need for a power washer, why not just use a regular garden hose pipe?

i was hoping to give the bike a clean and oil up inside, i just wanted to get the grime off quickly outside, a normal hose might work but wouldnt clean the chain of grimy oil?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

silverharp wrote: »
    i was hoping to give the bike a clean and oil up inside, i just wanted to get the grime off quickly outside, a normal hose might work but wouldnt clean the chain of grimy oil?

A power washer might not either, or you'd do damage with the proximity you have to get to it. Wipe with a rag, then use degreaser, hose down, wipe dry and oil up.

silverharp wrote: »
    ..., a normal hose might work but wouldnt clean the chain of grimy oil?
    A pressure washer won't clean an oily chain unless you have one of the industrial boiling water/steam ones.

Just take the chain off and clean it separately and don't go near the bike with anything that will force water onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Rather than buying a new bike, I’ve decided to upgrade the groupset on my existing one (along with installing some new wheels and other finishing kit). Quite a few bargains online at the moment, but I wouldnt have the experience to change the components myself.

Question is...are most LBS open to having someone roll up with a new groupset, handlebars, etc. that they bought online and they do the actual work (for a fee of course) or do they tend to get pissy if you don’t buy the components through them?

They need to be fine with it, otherwise they’ll go the way of the dodo… but give your chosen one a call first, to guage their attitude.

Get them to check what you’ve brought, and confirm that everything will fit your bike, and whether you might need minor parts (cables, spacers, etc), and that they have them in stock, to avoid unnecessary delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The guys I use are good with that if You want details. Based in Dublin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

EDit wrote: »
    Rather than buying a new bike, I’ve decided to upgrade the groupset on my existing one (along with installing some new wheels and other finishing kit). Quite a few bargains online at the moment, but I wouldnt have the experience to change the components myself.
    i bought a frame from a boardsie, and a groupset in my LBS; the BB was already installed in the frame, but speaking as someone who had never installed a groupset before, it was surprisingly easy. most fiddly bit was cables, and brake/gear adjustment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm going to try recable a bike later on for the first time ever. I fully expect to make a mess of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭cletus

The park tools video series is excellent for most jobs on a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'm going to try recable a bike later on for the first time ever. I fully expect to make a mess of it.

I don't believe it's possible for human to do this, I'm fairly certain bikeshops use some form of secret alien to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

I don't believe it's possible for human to do this, I'm fairly certain bikeshops use some form of secret alien to do it.

Done mine during the week. Forgot to run string where the old cables were, made me want to cry :(

Advertisement