Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Does anyone know a general cost for putting in a Slatted tank from digging to building walls to putting on slats..?

Currently doing a 5 bay on to existing cow shed. Will get some prices together for you later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

An interesting link, Jersey cows have a different feeding behaviour to Holstein cows, spreading their feeding out more during the day and chewing the cud more.

https://hoards.com/article-24392-jersey-cows-eat-differently.html

They are also less intelegent, or else just stubborn that's mistaken as brainless. Converting to robotic milking from grass, they are they ones that are most difficult to train..

Maybe they don't have other things to do to occupy their minds that they just stay eating....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

alps wrote: »
    They are also less intelegent, or else just stubborn that's mistaken as brainless. Converting to robotic milking from grass, they are they ones that are most difficult to train..

Maybe they don't have other things to do to occupy their minds that they just stay eating....
    :D
    I like my few crosses, very quiet to milk and sober to handle as well. I'm half thinking of buying a PB heifer next year just to get a better handle on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

alps wrote: »

I'd definitely disagree, they are the ones here who learn how to pull ropes on feeders, pull the rope to open the front gate, kneel to get that extra foot under strip wires etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'd definitely disagree, they are the ones here who learn how to pull ropes on feeders, pull the rope to open the front gate, kneel to get that extra foot under strip wires etc.

Ah shir we all have cow's that do that. Had to cull a cow here cos she would test every post with her horn to see if it would craic and push over all the temp posts if strip grazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

• Registered Users Posts: 29,198 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mooooo wrote: »
    Ah shir we all have cow's that do that. Had to cull a cow here cos she would test every post with her horn to see if it would craic and push over all the temp posts if strip grazing.

Got the horn cut off a similar cow recently. She's not impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

I follow him, he posts interesting stuff.

Would it be worth while doing winter milk if it worked out at that cost hmm..?

I follow him, he posts interesting stuff.

Would it be worth while doing winter milk if it worked out at that cost hmm..?

Yeah he does. Wouldn't agree with it all the but it's thought provoking any way.
    Add in your running costs and extra time and it would be marginal.
    Any port in a storm though. Fodder crops are going to get a lot of farms out of trouble this winter

Would many tillage farms work a grass/ clover crop into the rotation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Unless they had sheep then no really.

There was a story doing the rounds of someone across the water doing so to control/eliminate blackgrass and leasing it out to a livestock farmer.

I was just talking to the FRS men controlling the badgers and he told me they had caught only one badger. He must be Bob the builder-Badger because he has some amount of digging done along the ditches?

And one cow showed with lesions so a retest just before Christmas:(

Had to go away this morning. Had a heifer went with the cows yesterday. Sold her 2 calves. I walked half a mile to close in the cows in the rain. Closed 4 gates on way back. Real belt and braces approach. Fecking heifer ended up on the road, while I was away. Lucky my dad wasn't far away. Always something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I was just talking to the FRS men controlling the badgers and he told me they had caught only one badger. He must be Bob the builder-Badger because he has some amount of digging done along the ditches?

And one cow showed with lesions so a retest just before Christmas:(
    Ah ****e :mad:

In my area the lads who work on contract for DAFM to capture badgers are locals and would be shooting/hunting/fishing fellas. They know every inch of the country and would be knowledgeable and informed of the location of setts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

They'd be foolish to unless they'd a solid contract for it

They'd be foolish to unless they'd a solid contract for it

Buy maize here on contract, he only sets what he has orders for in terms of maize and beet. Was wondering would a similar system work for silage production if quality could be controlled in terms of cutting date etc. Maize or wholecrop prob better value when all costs added in tho.

Base price wrote: »
    Ah ****e :mad:

In my area the lads who work on contract for DAFM to capture badgers are locals and would be shooting/hunting/fishing fellas. They know every inch of the country and would be knowledgeable and informed of the location of setts.
    This lad was telling me that most setts seem to be near Alder trees, that the badgers must like the fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭straight

This lad was telling me that most setts seem to be near Alder trees, that the badgers must like the fruit.

Not on my farm anyway

Those roll out mats are some bitch to move around.

Any tips on training cows to cubicles?
    Hopefully going finger our girls in tomorrow evening. None of them have ever been in a cubicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭older by the day

Hopefully going finger our girls in tomorrow evening. None of them have ever been in a cubicle.

Good luck with the fingering

A small bit of ration at the top of the cubicles will get them up. A few will take a while to train if they can be moved to a section by themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭visatorro

I don't know about anywhere else but my cows don't see cubicles until they calf. Would have seen either straw or slat mats. So would never have sat on concrete. I find they won't sit on something cold. They'll figure out some enough the mats are cosy and up they'll pop. What the older girls are gonna be like I'm not sure. Suppose the heifers here would see cows lying up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭visatorro

Would it be madness to get a lend of five or ten cubicle trained dry cows or something for the first week??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

meal at top of cubicle never worked for me, they just go in and eat it and back out

i mix them with cows now (last years 1st calves), they are an awful bunch of copy cats and none of them like being the odd one out

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

One sure way is tyres in the passage, and lock them in in the night, they have to lie up in them, it's absolute hardship but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Anyone at the dairy day in punchestown yesterday?

Had to use our generator today. First time in years. Just wondering do you turn milk tank off before starting generator. I know it will be off anyway as there's no power. But do you turn off the main switch?

Snowfire wrote: »
    Anyone at the dairy day in punchestown yesterday?

Is that not just a fundraiser for the farmers journal. The national dairy show is the dairy farmers day out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

whelan2 wrote: »
    Had to use our generator today. First time in years. Just wondering do you turn milk tank off before starting generator. I know it will be off anyway as there's no power. But do you turn off the main switch?

I'd be inclined to apply the load gradually. My planned method ( if I ever get to use it) is put the c/o switch to 0, connect everything up, put it running to 50hz, turn down the trips, turn on the c/o switch, turn up the trips, rev up the generator back up to 50 if it's dropped a little.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement