Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Any concrete sources, no?

Anyway...

How do people see the county final going today?

Very tough one to call

Thomas's were ultimately very much over-hyped after a few facile group wins - they were blessed to come through against the Bridge and were very mediocre against Sarsfields in the semi. Their weaknesses (mainly in defence) have been properly tested in the knock-outs

Their main men have been very inconsistent - Conor Cooney got 5 from play against Bridge and 1 near the end v Sars, Eanna Burke put up the same scores in those matches in reverse order. David and Darragh Burke were peripheral against Bridge but did improve (David is still way off his best) v Sarsfields.

Mellows for me are the safe bet. I think they'll hold all the Thomas's forwards enough. I'd be amazed if anyone got 5 from play and that's what Thomas's have relied on in their last two games - one of their stars to bail them out.

Mellows have such a dogged defence and midfield and while their forwards haven't been individually exceptional (Haran aside), I do think they'll have put up enough scores and grind this out

Very impressive win in the Minor for the Bridge

Had a fair few 15 year olds playing even. TJ Brennan is a colossus and it won't be long before we're seeing him in a Galway senior jersey

Looks like they're setting up to be the dominant Senior Club in the 2020s!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Programmes sold out. Our country board can get very little right.

Toms proving me well wrong anyway, fierce damp squib altogether

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote:
    Toms proving me well wrong anyway, fierce damp squib altogether

Thomas's Way too good. For the county team probably would of been better for Mellows to win. Fintan Burke, Shane Cooney, Enna Burke and Darragh Burke probably would of seen a fair bit of league action to see where they were. Darragh Burke man of the match two games in a row probably would of been brought into the panel for a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

jr86 wrote: »
    Any concrete sources, no?

Years off persistence finally got transfer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Dickie9 wrote: »
    He's working in loughrea gym....looks like he has been looking for transfer a number off years all low key ud think it be in the paper big transfer

Strange one . Won’t go down well in mullagh I say . Hard to understand the reasoning behind it . Must be more to it then meets the eye . Very unusual for players to leave there home clubs especially for one few miles away

I asked for a concrete source and you give me feckin Wikipedia

An actual concrete source please

spurshero wrote: »
    Strange one . Won’t go down well in mullagh I say . Hard to understand the reasoning behind it . Must be more to it then meets the eye . Very unusual for players to leave there home clubs especially for one few miles away

I dunno I'll believe it when I see it, I think someone may just be having us on.

Until it's reported by an actual valid source I'm not having any of it

• Advertisement

Thomas's Way too good. For the county team probably would of been better for Mellows to win. Fintan Burke, Shane Cooney, Enna Burke and Darragh Burke probably would of seen a fair bit of league action to see where they were. Darragh Burke man of the match two games in a row probably would of been brought into the panel for a look.

Darragh had his chance a few years ago I'd doubt he'll be looked at again

Fintan is a certainty for the panel next year alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

Anyway...

How do people see the county final going today?

Very tough one to call

Thomas's were ultimately very much over-hyped after a few facile group wins - they were blessed to come through against the Bridge and were very mediocre against Sarsfields in the semi. Their weaknesses (mainly in defence) have been properly tested in the knock-outs

Their main men have been very inconsistent - Conor Cooney got 5 from play against Bridge and 1 near the end v Sars, Eanna Burke put up the same scores in those matches in reverse order. David and Darragh Burke were peripheral against Bridge but did improve (David is still way off his best) v Sarsfields.

Mellows for me are the safe bet. I think they'll hold all the Thomas's forwards enough. I'd be amazed if anyone got 5 from play and that's what Thomas's have relied on in their last two games - one of their stars to bail them out.

Mellows have such a dogged defence and midfield and while their forwards haven't been individually exceptional (Haran aside), I do think they'll have put up enough scores and grind this out

In mitigation, for Thomas' the 'Bridge game came after a long hiatus against an up-and-coming team who'd had a pre-qualifier warm up match. Equally, there was nothing mediocre in the Sarsfields' match about their performance (or their opponents.)

Your preview analysis wasn't incorrect, so what went wrong for Mellows in today's ordinary final? In fairness, Thomas' seized the initiative from the start and played with the wind having won the toss. They battled in numbers, something not always associated with them, and the half-time stat summed up the game, with nearly all of the winners' scores coming from play, with Mellows' replies all frees. In a funny way, Tom's inconsistency is a strength; like Galway last year, they weren't reliant on any particular forward in the knockout stages, with different players coming to the fore in the various rounds. Mellow's reliance on Tadgh Haran was advertised and when, like today, he wasn't quite at it, the rest of their forward division struggled, with Aongus Callanan in particular being anonymous. Three of them were replaced when the game was still in the melting pot and they had to push David Collins forward to tyr and improve things. They also lost midfield which in turn put strain on the defence.

A Thomas's / Ballyhale match will be tasty if it comes to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Thomas s played well yesterday and will take beating now . Could very well win all Ireland . Fintan Burke will surely be on Galway team next year he mopped up all around him and didn’t give Haran a sniff and he has played well all year . Mellows aren’t has bad as they looked yesterday . To me they were flat on the day and there were signs that maybe it was a game to far for a team that are 2 years on the go without much of a break . Overall there a young team and should be thereabouts for few years . 2019 will be interesting as there will be a lot of teams that think there not far away including clarenbridge cappy turlough sarsfields amongst them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Very impressive win in the Minor for the Bridge

Had a fair few 15 year olds playing even. TJ Brennan is a colossus and it won't be long before we're seeing him in a Galway senior jersey

Looks like they're setting up to be the dominant Senior Club in the 2020s!
    Are 15 year old lads allowed play minor? If that is the case they could have been marking someone who is 3 years older than them

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Legalfarmer89

St Thomas were by far the better team and Thomas’ defence didn’t give Mellows a chance. Fintan Burke was very good and the corner backs were very tigerish. Darragh Burke did the damage up front. There playing Cushendall in the Semi now in February and they will be favorites for that so a great chance to get to an All Ireland Final. After that anything is a bonus however I don’t think they have come up anything like Ballygunner or Ballyhale in Galway so I can’t see them winning it out.

Are 15 year old lads allowed play minor? If that is the case they could have been marking someone who is 3 years older than them

Yeah once they're over-age for under 14 they can play Minor, so plenty of players would even have been 14 in earlier stages of the Championship

Otherwise rural clubs would struggle hugely to field

For a top club like the Bridge, the 15 year olds will only get in if they're exceptional. For players of that standard the 3 year age gap will have very little impact

St Thomas were by far the better team and Thomas’ defence didn’t give Mellows a chance. Fintan Burke was very good and the corner backs were very tigerish. Darragh Burke did the damage up front. There playing Cushendall in the Semi now in February and they will be favorites for that so a great chance to get to an All Ireland Final. After that anything is a bonus however I don’t think they have come up anything like Ballygunner or Ballyhale in Galway so I can’t see them winning it out.

They were very disappointing against Ballyea two years ago (although they did come back strongly). It was Conor Cooney's last time taking frees for them

However they look a better side this time around, and they had lots of guys out of position that day - such as Eanna Burke corner back, Sean Skehill FF, James Regan wing back - who are now flourishing in roles more suited to them

You're right though, Ballygunnar and Ballyhale will be a huge step up from what they've faced in Galway

Interestingly the Ulster Champs (Loughgiel) gave them a huge scare in 2013 (Thomas's somehow got through AET) and Cushendall blitzed Sarsfields in 2016 so maybe the semi won't be as one-sided as some think, although they should come through

Think your underselling their chances a bit. Whether good or bad, club hurling in Galway is very competitive and a good training ground for teams who progress from the county. Both Ballyhale and Ballygunner have had their travails to get this far also, the former being very lucky to get to the KK final, while the latter (I think) just squeaked a draw in normal time v. Ballyea.

Ballyea are a cut above anything Thomas's have played

The Galway championship hasn't been the best standard over the past few years, summed up by the fact that no Galway winner has won their semi final since Portumna 5 years back

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'd give them every chance to be honest. They definitely have the talent. They are a strange side in that some years in Galway they don't look that bothered but they seem to be motivated and having one of their good years this year.

Have to get past Cushendall first and Ulster clubs are actually pretty competitive compared to what their sides are like at intercounty level.

• Advertisement

They are a strange side in that some years in Galway they don't look that bothered but they seem to be motivated and having one of their good years this year..

They've been affected by injuries in a few campaigns, and have very little strength in depth beyond their usual first 15 to cope

jr86 wrote:
    They've been affected by injuries in a few campaigns, and have very little strength in depth beyond their usual first 15 to cope

Change of management for me was a big difference this year too. Things seemed a little less hectic. More heads less raw passion. For me this team should of dominated over the last number of years since they last won the All Ireland. Current team. David Burke and Conor Cooney are inter county players through and through. Next young gifted and possibly inter county players of the future would be Enna Burke, Shane Cooney and Fintan Burke. Above average club players I would see as James Regan, Bernard Burke, Donal Cooney and Darragh Burke (he's been exceptional in the last two games I've seen) The rest are mostly solid club players with very few very weak links. If they play to form I think they have a good chance of winning the All Ireland out.

Change of management for me was a big difference this year too. Things seemed a little less hectic. More heads less raw passion. For me this team should of dominated over the last number of years since they last won the All Ireland. Current team. David Burke and Conor Cooney are inter county players through and through. Next young gifted and possibly inter county players of the future would be Enna Burke, Shane Cooney and Fintan Burke. Above average club players I would see as James Regan, Bernard Burke, Donal Cooney and Darragh Burke (he's been exceptional in the last two games I've seen) The rest are mostly solid club players with very few very weak links. If they play to form I think they have a good chance of winning the All Ireland out.

Not sure is D Cooney much more than solid, I'd have Sherry and a fit Sean Skehill in that group ahead of him

Wouldn't amaze me if Sherry was considered as an option for county in a position Galway are light in

I'm not sure how fully fit Bernard was this year, was quiet in a lot of games

But very strong starting 15 overall for a club side

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Of course it also means Galway will likely be without the Thomas' lads for the entire league campaign. Wasn't a big deal last year as Mellows had nobody invoved but Thomas' will probably have 5 or 6 lads in the Galway squad next year.

Ballyea are a cut above anything Thomas's have played

The Galway championship hasn't been the best standard over the past few years, summed up by the fact that no Galway winner has won their semi final since Portumna 5 years back

We shall revisit this again on March 17 methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Goes without saying obviously but delighted to hear last night that MD is sticking around for next season. Regardless of that first 60 minutes of the final we had some fantastic days out this year and we're definitely in the mix next year. It's been a real pleasure to follow these lads around the country over the last few Summers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Some carry-on, wha?

'This report hasn't been made public yet, as it has been the subject of legal correspondence.

Croke Park have commissioned Mazars, the international Auditing and corporate finance company, to conduct a full audit of Galway GAA finances, and they have been working in Galway for some weeks now.'

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/1121/1012498-galway-pay-390k-owed-on-2015-all-ireland-final-tickets/

Some carry-on, wha?

Nothing new in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Has Padraic Joyce got the U20 gig?

• Advertisement

Has Padraic Joyce got the U20 gig?

Ya, no mention yet of selectors.

Advertisement