Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Travel Pass Holders on peak time public transport

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Emme wrote:
    Have you ever tried to sit on top of an Irish Rail train, a DART or a Luas? You wouldn't be allowed to do it.

You made the comparison between Irish rail and the Indian rail service not I.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

gimli2112 wrote: »
    about an hour

Really ? I've heard my commute from Portlaoise described as "about an hour" as the train up is 53 minutes and the one back in the evening is 52.

You do realise people don't live at the station at one end and work at the other one ?

I leave the house at 6.30am for the train and get home (if all perfect) at 6.40pm each evening. 2 hours 10 minutes, twice a day.

"About an hour" - not a chance.

You made the comparison between Irish rail and the Indian rail service not I.

And you were wrong.

A friend of mine lost 2 children because the driver that crashed in to him had a blackout, the driver in question didn't inform his doctor. It came out in the subsequent court case. So yeah I guess i'm a dog with a bone.

I'm very sorry to hear that about your friend, but there has to be a level of understanding and greyness here. People with immune system disorders don't just go from grand to ill during a car ride, and a blackout, based on my knowledge of lupus anyways, isn't something that just randomly happens during a drive. If you're that bad, you aren't fit to be out driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

I'm 68 and I worked full time since I was 14 until recently.
    I got the free travel nearly three years ago but didn't use it till recently to travel to Dublin from the midlands.
    I look perfectly fit, and I dress well. I have no 'visible' disabilities. And I probably look 'well off,' but I exist on a pension.
    If it weren't for this Cancer I have, one would never know 'from the outside' I was sick.
    I travel for treatment to St. Luke's as an out-patient, on public transport, and using the 'free' travel, for which I paid for many times over during my working life.
    I'm not surprised at the ill-concealed begrudgery of the OP and others.
    I'll bet my pension is begrudged me too.

I'd swap both for my good health back again.

DanMurphy wrote: »
    I got the free travel nearly three years ago but didn't use it till recently to travel to Dublin from the midlands.
    I look perfectly fit, and I dress well. I have no 'visible' disabilities. And I probably look 'well off,' but I exist on a pension.
    If it weren't for this Cancer I have, one would never know 'from the outside' I was sick.
    I travel for treatment to St. Luke's as an out-patient, on public transport, and using the 'free' travel, for which I paid for many times over during my working life.

No one is begrudging you anything. I wish you good health sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

And if you happen to live and work outside those Google points. ... ???

It'll take a little longer

When you look at people on Public Transport, don't judge them by appearance, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No one is begrudging you anything. I wish you good health sir.

Not begrudging him but just wish he didn't travel at peak hours so as not to inconvenience you. Because hospitals really take that into account when making appointments for patients.

Accepted. And thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

They had their FTP out. They paid zilch.

And you misread the point - packed train with workers wanting to get home, max 5 people on seats for 8 and refusing to move their crap so at least 3 people could get a seat.

No way is that okay.

Ok but you didn't say that at all so can you understand where I was coming from? And I agreed in my post that taking up seats with stuff is not ok.

As for having to stand for an hour on a train - sure I did it on a Dublin bus for years (changed job and can't get public transport now). 45 mins to an hour of standing depending on traffic. To be honest, I never really noticed who was in the seats nor did I get angry at anyone. If I got a seat, happy days! If I didn't, ah well.

My commute then was at least an 1hour 20 mins, usually closer to 1 hour 40 and I lived in Dublin, worked in Dublin. So yeah I do get it that long commutes suck. And not being able to sit down at the end of a long day is annoying but blaming the back-log on free-travel holders rather than the services not providing enough buses, trains or carriages. Scape-goat much?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

A friend of mine lost 2 children because the driver that crashed in to him had a blackout, the driver in question didn't inform his doctor. It came out in the subsequent court case. So yeah I guess i'm a dog with a bone.

I am very sorry to hear that and again I inform my doctor of everything.

Drink driving, drug driving, speeding and all around careless driving can be lethal. Some prescription medications can affect the ability to drive or operate machinery.

I have NEVER had any dizziness, fatigue or other adverse effects when driving. If I did I would pull in and arrange for somebody else to drive and see my doctor as soon as possible.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    It'll take a little longer

Yeah, try a lot longer. There's 24 hours in a day and currently I spend 9 working, 4.5 commuting and (if lucky) 6 asleep.

Not many left there for me eh ?

Not begrudging him but just wish he didn't travel at peak hours so as not to inconvenience you. Because hospitals really take that into account when making appointments for patients.

Try reading my post again eh ?

Edit - here, I'll help:
    No one would ever argue that the disabled and those needing to get to hospital appointments should be able to use the services as and when, of course they should

Apology accepted.

Try reading my post again eh ?

Edit - here, I'll help:

Apology accepted.

But you have no way of knowing who those people are just by looking at them. People dont wear signs saying "i'm going to a hospital appointment."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Emme wrote: »
    Nobody is bashing the disabled but I consider the use of the FTP at peak time for unnecesssary travel to be excessive. This partly the fault of transport bodies but not all countries permit the use of FTPs at all times.

In an ideal world there would be room for FTP holders and regular commuters to travel comfortably whenever they wanted. Comfortably means getting a seat. I think people going to medical appointments should travel free there and back at any time. Also the disabled and incapacitated. And those on limited incomes.

Those who are fit and healthy, can afford it and are going on a "day out" might consider paying half price to travel at peak time. Surely this would not be unreasonable?

You absolutely are bashing these people because you're suggesting that they should be shunted off train carriages to make way for you, the far more important and valuable Working Taxpayer, who despite you being young and fit and healthy believe that you're more entitled to a seat than some auld one on a free pass. What we need perhaps are better designed walkthrough trains and more carriages on busy services, but people seem to immediately want to scapegoat someone next to them.

God forbid that one day you're sick or old and on the train one day and there's someone behind you standing on the carriage getting wound up at your presence.

The amount of crass individualism about these days is very sad.

But you have no way of knowing who those people are just by looking at them. People dont wear signs saying "i'm going to a hospital appointment."

I'm going to out out on a limb and guess that the gangs of parents and kids with the Dublin Zoo bags over the summer, the FTPs out "in case the man comes" and the annoying brat who screamed "ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" over and over again could have been actually on their way back from dialysis but I stand by the fact they were on a jolly.

I'm going to out out on a limb and guess that the gangs of parents and kids with the Dublin Zoo bags over the summer, the FTPs out "in case the man comes" and the annoying brat who screamed "ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" over and over again could have been actually on their way back from dialysis but I stand by the fact they were on a jolly.

So you have let one incident colour your whole viewpoint?

• Advertisement

This thread is clearly a pisstake, and a poor one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Emme wrote: »
    It's usually an hour and 10 minutes. Factor in getting to and from the train and work and you're talking 3 hours or thereabouts.

3 hours total ? as in there and back ....

surely not 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

DanMurphy wrote: »

Nobody is angry at the sick, disabled or incapacitated as stated before.

My father worked very hard from the time he was 14 up until he was 65 and my mother also worked very hard from 17 until she got married and then she worked with my father. They used the FTP when they could get away which was not often. At that time it was off peak only. They were never well enough to use the FTP when it was made full-time. Perhaps I am biased when I see people who seem well because of how my parents active retirement was cut short through ill health shortly into retirement. They are still alive but their quality of life is not great.

I wish you good health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

There’s a lot of ganging up on the op here. In fact the free pass is a bit odd isn’t it, it’s not means tested and in fact old people are means tested for a lot of stuff.

For anybody sick though there should be no restriction.

Otherwise free pass off peak could well work. And be available up to a limit, say the median income.

This thread is clearly a pisstake, and a poor one at that.

Sadly it's not, I've read Emme's posts before - she's a fellow longer suffering commuting worker - and I am sad to see the negative reaction here.

There’s a lot of ganging up on the op here. In fact the free pass is a bit odd isn’t it, it’s not means tested and in fact old people are means tested for a lot of stuff.

For anybody sick though there should be no restriction.

Otherwise free pass off peak could well work. And be available up to a limit, say the median income.

Sssh you'll make the rest of them drop their pitchforks!

Just to make it clear - again:

Sick, elderly, hospital visits etc - all travel
    Any other FTP holder - off peak only (after 9am out and not before 6pm back).

Who could have an issue with that ??

3 hours total ? as in there and back ....

surely not 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening ..

Mine is 2 hours 10 each way, and I see commuters already on the train from as far as Thurles so yeah, could be that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Mine is 2 hours 10 each way, and I see commuters already on the train from as far as Thurles so yeah, could be that easy.

Jesus thats rough ..

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

FTP holders should be put into specific carriages and the rest of the "wealthy" are out into the other carriages. I think to speed things up as well, they should get the long FTP number tattooed on the inside of their arms.

Free head shaves for all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Look at it this way OP - you may have to stand for an hour on a packed train, but aren’t you the lucky one who can arrive to ‘work’ & post away to your hearts content for hours on end & the icing on the cake is you get paid for your trouble!

It’s no wonder you’re exhausted 🤕

Advertisement