Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy International Men's Day!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Here's a Harvard educated poet at a men's gathering:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TP3HWLIL1Aw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I imagine it will be largely mocked by people on here disregarding the fact that men are more likely to be homeless, victims of violence, victims of suicide, victims of murder and both discriminated against in matrimonial and family matters; and serve harsher sentences than women for the same offences.

Interesting to note this:

The first two events are basically men being blamed for violence against women. Couldn't leave the feminist agenda for one day eh ?

Guys, remember you're not what the media say you are - you're partners, husbands, fathers, sons, friends, lovers, workers - and not the enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Men's Day me arse. I don't need one thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

How do I celebrate International Men's Day? By getting up at stupid o'clock and going to work. Same as any other day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I imagine it will be largely mocked by people on here disregarding the fact that men are more likely to be homeless, victims of violence, victims of suicide, victims of murder and both discriminated against in matrimonial and family matters; and serve harsher sentences than women for the same offences.

The first two events are basically men being blamed for violence against women. Couldn't leave the feminist agenda for one day eh ?

Guys, remember you're not what the media say you are - you're partners, husbands, fathers, sons, friends, lovers, workers - and not the enemy.

I never feel that blame solves anything at all.

All over the world. men are most likely to suffer violence. Men are also most likely to be violent. Blaming men is blaming the victims as much as perpetrators. It's counterproductive, hurtful, and pointless.
    We need to find the root causes of violence and address those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

This went downhill quick.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I never feel that blame solves anything at all.

All over the world. men are most likely to suffer violence. Men are also most likely to be violent. Blaming men is blaming the victims as much as perpetrators. It's counterproductive, hurtful, and pointless.
    We need to find the root causes of violence and address those.

Then why would on the one day that men can be at the forefront is one of the key events "Stopping men's violence against women and girls" ?

That's judgemental and sadly typical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I was going to start a thread earlier but expectation of shyte like the above turned me off it. Didn't think it would be only the third post though.

Who do you imagine would largely mock it here? Considering I never see any anti men stuff on After Hours I'd say your wish won't be granted.

Kinda like you couldn't leave a battle of the sexes opportunity for one day either.
    Exactly. Happy international men's day guys. Whether you need it or not, it's nice to give you a bit of recognition for the heck of a lot you do.

I was going to start a thread earlier but expectation of shyte like the above turned me off it. Didn't think it would be only the third post though.

Who do you imagine would largely mock it here? Considering I never see any anti men stuff on After Hours I'd say your wish won't be granted.

Kinda like you couldn't leave a battle of the sexes opportunity for one day either.

Exactly. Happy international men's day guys. Whether you need it or not, it's nice to give you a bit of recognition for the heck of a lot you do.

Try the Coppinger thong thread - the minute you defend men in any way shape or form, the usual suspects are out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Those lawns won't mow themselves, oh wait.....we're nearly redundant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Best thing about International Men's Day?

That twat across the corridor will finally shut up about women having a day to themselves while poor men suffer.

Actually told to me by a male friend - "girl as soon as there is a vibrator that can kill spiders, we're extinct".

He was joking btw - I think!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Try the Coppinger thong thread - the minute you defend men in any way shape or form, the usual suspects are out.

You're literally the one who derailed the thread with your instant victim complex style posting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why do men put up with being portrayed as some sort of animals led into wrong doing by their penis/hormones?

Why do men not scream about the presumption by many in society that any man wanting a career in childcare/primary teaching etc. is in some way 'dodgy'?

As PlaneSpeaking said, there are many issues related to men that need to be urgently addressed.

I don't find anything odd about a men's day. There are many men-only issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

They've been very busy for the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I imagine it will be largely mocked by people on here disregarding the fact that men are more likely to be homeless, victims of violence, victims of suicide, victims of murder and both discriminated against in matrimonial and family matters; and serve harsher sentences than wom en for the same offences.

That’s what happens alright. The big brave bucks in the men’s forum couldn’t raise more than a ‘meh’ for International Men’s Day last year. Then whinged, bitched and moaned about how big and well publicised International Women’s Day was.

One clown who constantly whinges about feminism said it was only useful to ‘smoke out the feminists who would oppose it’. What a waste of an opportunity to raise men’s issues. IMD gets more attention from men on IWD. When fools who couldn’t give a tuppenny-fcuk about men’s issues, complain that women’s day is so well celebrated.

Here’s a twitter analysis of mentions of IMD. Guess when IMD tweets peak... on international women’s day. Mostly clowns asking ‘‘what about international men’s day? Why isn’t there a men’s day huh?’
    We’ll actually Men’s day is on November 19th.
    Meh.
    I don’t care about men’s day I just want to whinge about women’s day”
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/when-international-mens-day-ireland-12151722.amp

I’m at home on holiday today so my mother’s treating me to brunch. Not for International men’s day, because my family and I appreciate each other as often as we have to opportunity to do so.

Spending the day with the mother and sister and having a nice time.

Lots of really worth Men’s issues worth discussing. One of my mates in work casually mentioned that he found a lump on his testicle last money. Within 2 weeks he had the whole testicle out and he’s recovered well. The lump was malignant so it was the right decision. I was really impressed at how open he was about sharing his experience and role modelling how he got it sorted. Fair play.

They've been very busy for the past few days.

indeed they have!!

It's not quite that though - it's not like someone is saying "Men are all sh1tty" and someone defending them gets set upon.

Pretty dishonest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Happy International Men's Day, dear male AHers.

Let us know how you celebrate it?
    My husband got breakfast in bed, and I've brought cake for my two male team mates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Men%27s_Day

That was a lovely gesture. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Happy International Men's Day, dear male AHers.

Let us know how you celebrate it?
    My husband got breakfast in bed, and I've brought cake for my two male team mates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Men%27s_Day

Thanks Shenshen! :D

Honestly I personally don’t care much for IMD, but it’s my birthday today, so if there’s any of that cake left over... :pac:

• Advertisement

Lots of really worth Men’s issues worth discussing. One of my mates in work casually mentioned that he found a lump on his testicle last money. Within 2 weeks he had the whole testicle out and he’s recovered well. The lump was malignant so it was the right decision. I was really impressed at how open he was about sharing his experience and role modelling how he got it sorted. Fair play.

I agree 100% with that part - I have two friends who have gone through a testicular cancer scare, one was actually diagnosed with the disease. You're right, the speed of treatment is actually quicker than I thought and I am proud of him for raising awareness to others through his illness. Not out of the woods yet but fingers crossed that remission continues.

However, there was actual laughter from some women he knows when he wanted to talk about early diagnosis and the benefits of self check (knowing what normal feels like so anything not can be looked at). How can that not be a good thing ?

This is something that could save lives, and the response was "isn't that all you do anyway, play with yourselves ???" Very, very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Guys, remember you're not what the media say you are - you're partners, husbands, fathers, sons, friends, lovers, workers - and not the enemy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know that.

I also know that the so called "feminist agenda" has helped bring profound changes to the way men are viewed and act in modern society.
    I think of the relationship I have with my children and it is a million times better than the way my parents generation were expected to act.

I'm 48 now and my father was a kind and hardworking, but because of society at the time child rearing was the preserve of the mother. He missed out on so much that I now get from my own kids.

He was simply a product of his generation. Of course there are issues facing men and I do sometimes feel a small element of more vocal feminism can be too easy to apportion blame to all men.
    But on balance gains made by feminism, and changes to attitudes in society have been massively beneficial to all genders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

International Men's Day is the biggest Trojan horse going. It's branded as if it's the male equivalent of international women's day.....but oh no, it's different.

Watch the sentiment on social media for the 2 days and see how they differ.

IWD: wall to wall posts on twitter (par for the course) but more importantly it's crept its way into workplaces and sites like LinkedIn. Women's only lunches in corporate settings, companies promoting their high level women etc. Attention is given to junk studies on gender pay and other ignorant to logic statements.

IMD: barely covered. When it is covered it'll be something like "let's celebrate the men fighting for gender equality". I think we all know what that comment means. Men can be celebrated, but only the feminist approved ones. The focus will be on how men can "be better" or how their maleness is a problem for society and it needs to be toned down. Serious issues about men will be turned around and blamed on men. Men more likely to homeless, commit suicide, be the victims of violence? Well, it's clear what the answer is, you're being a man wrong, you need to be more like women, masculinity is bad. BOOOOO!

The vast majority of men don't care about IMD and are unlikely to care about IWD either save for the fact that it's good for optics. Both days are thinly veiled, largely feminist orientated social activist days.

No thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Work decided that Yorkies was a good idea. Cos you know, they're for men.

Wonder what they'll do for women's day? Sandwich making classes maybe?

Happy birthday OEJ!

I love how hilarious the men I know are, and how they are always so helpful and kind and thoughtful and generous, and the great conversations i can have with them... and how they all have a bit of a kid streak - still lose their minds over Star Wars. :D

I agree 100% with that part - I have two friends who have gone through a testicular cancer scare, one was actually diagnosed with the disease. You're right, the speed of treatment is actually quicker than I thought and I am proud of him for raising awareness to others through his illness. Not out of the woods yet but fingers crossed that remission continues.

However, there was actual laughter from some women he knows when he wanted to talk about early diagnosis and the benefits of self check (knowing what normal feels like so anything not can be looked at). How can that not be a good thing ?

This is something that could save lives, and the response was "isn't that all you do anyway, play with yourselves ???" Very, very wrong.
    Can you ever let it go? I don't believe half your anecdotes - because I don't know any women who behave in such a manner. You have a bizarre obsession with complaining about women (despite being one - yet somehow you're miraculously exempt) - you're relentless. What's at the root of this obsession?

The important factor in the above is that your friends spotted testicular changes and one actually had cancer but got the treatment on time... yet you still had to throw in your dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Can you ever let it go? I don't believe half your anecdotes - because I don't know any women who behave in such a manner. You have a bizarre obsession with complaining about women (despite being one - yet somehow you're miraculously exempt) - you're relentless. What's at the root of this obsession?

That's a half more than most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Those lawns won't mow themselves, oh wait.....we're nearly redundant

as long as there are spiders and pipes that get blocked we're good :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I thought steak and blowjob day was mens day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Almost 9 out of 10 Irish primary teachers are women, meaning that many boys have no male role models in the classroom.

A recent study by Professor Dympna Devine, head of the school of education at University College Dublin, finds clear gender stereotyping among this almost entirely female teaching staff in how they spoke about boys and girls. Girls in school are seen as calm, mature and focused, while boys are regarded as boisterous and disruptive.

No surprise then that boys significantly underperform girls at all levels of education, with lower grades and higher failure rates in almost every Leaving Cert subject.

Fewer than half of Irish men aged 25 to 34 have third-level qualifications, compared with three out of five women in the same age group.

Just 41 percent of students in Trinity College, the country's top-ranked university, are male.

Just 42 percent of new entrants to medical school are male.

Men account for almost 80 percent of the suicides recorded in Ireland.

About 96 percent of the prisoners incarcerated in Ireland are male.

I wonder will any of these statistics be highlighted on International Men's Day, or will it all just get brushed under the carpet as usual?

Advertisement