Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy International Men's Day!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

joe40 wrote: »
    The way I see is that the vast majority of people (male and female) in our society are non violent, and law abiding.

A small percentage are not and an even smaller percentage are capable of extreme violence. Of this cohort of our population, I'm guessing less than 1%, the vast majority are Men.

I do hate blanket terms like "Men" when talking about a particular behaviour as if all men are homogenous, and like minded. Among the male population 50% of the human race there is massive variation. (As there is among women)
    in my post you quoted you'll see that I said "on average"....I even put it in all caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I did not know that! You would think evolution would have meant it would only happen when there's a need and not just all the time.

Adding womb jumpers to my Dragon's Den list.

Well, I've already bagsied the name Womb Warmers™.

that one with the shooting, that is pure biology in action

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Well, I've already bagsied the name Womb Warmers™.

Hoisted by my own petard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

in my post you quoted you'll see that I said "on average"....I even put it in all caps.

I meant to say I wasn't contradicting your post, just elaborating slightly.
    I don't think the average male is more violent, more that the cohort of people that are capable of violence, especially extreme violence, are predominantly male to a large extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

u0zqzbvdt6iz.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Bullshyte.
    We don't need this crap, women don't need international women's day either.
    Bullshyte...bullshyte.....bullshyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

men are "under represented" in primary school teaching roles for the same reason they are "over represented" in prison populations - that is, directly proportionally to their disinterest in teaching young children and to their propensity to commit crimes.

Any thoughts on why men's disinterest in primary teaching has skyrocketed in the past thirty or forty years? There was no shortage when I was in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Plopsu wrote: »
    men are "under represented" in primary school teaching roles for the same reason they are "over represented" in prison populations - that is, directly proportionally to their disinterest in teaching young children and to their propensity to commit crimes.

Any thoughts on why men's disinterest in primary teaching has skyrocketed in the past thirty or forty years? There was no shortage when I was in school.

Better salary/status in private sector?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

Because teaching used to come with a certain status in the community, the local teacher was looked up to. Now teaching doesn't come with any status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Because teaching used to come with a certain status in the community, the local teacher was looked up to. Now teaching doesn't come with any status.

Plus dealing with other people's little shytes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

My view of men:

My father - Beat, demeaned and humiliated my mother almost every day and his nine children too despite being highly educated and intelligent and a pillar od society always ready to champion good causes. Loved and admired by everyone outside of his family.

My brothers - in a lot of pain, never really got over their upbringing.

My husband - a very good man who was raised by a very good man. .

My sons - The best.

So the way I see it some men are bast*rds, some are good and some are wonderful.

We're all connected. It's not of benefit to women for men to be unhappy and visa versa.

Happy IMD

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Men bashing day. Never in men's international day are the achievements of men celebrated. The day is used to point out our weaknesses. Mental Health, prison statistics, violence etc. Do one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

Men bashing day. Never in men's international day are the achievements of men celebrated. The day is used to point out our weaknesses. Mental Health, prison statistics, violence etc. Do one.

Well the suicide rate last year in Ireland was really shocking. That definitely shows that there are many men in Ireland who are really struggling with their mental health and need help. That's not to that there is something wrong with men but something wrong in our society.

Not where I come from they weren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

When you say no shortage, do you mean primary teachers were 50/50 men? Or more men than women?

I would be very surprised if there was a time when primary teaching had high numbers of men. Principals yes but not teachers.

Better salary/status in private sector?

That wouldn't be available to the women taking up teaching posts?

But I suspect you'd be complaining if there wasn't one - why not take it back and do something about the misrepresention (which I agree is there).

When you say no shortage, do you mean primary teachers were 50/50 men? Or more men than women?

I would be very surprised if there was a time when primary teaching had high numbers of men. Principals yes but not teachers.

In the school I went to (admittedly a boys school), they were a majority (I think all the teaching above 'infants' level was done by male teachers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Sad to see what could have been a great thread dragged down by the usual suspects with axes to grind. Could ye not stfu with the baiting for one day.

Anyway happy IMD to all the lads here, ignore the crap and have a good one

Plus dealing with other people's little shytes.

There were little shytes forty years ago, too.

Never in men's international day are the achievements of men celebrated.
    are men's victims of their own success? How do we celebrate men's achievements when nearly all significant achievements of humanity were accomplished by men? That's just called History.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

are men's victims of their own success? How do we celebrate men's achievements when nearly all significant achievements of humanity were accomplished by men? That's just called History.

'History' allows us to understand why it was men achieved those things.

Nowadays, there is a whole section in the Dept of Ed. devoted to studying and trying to combat the poor performance levels of large sections of male students.

Happy IMD to all, (even the non-ridey ones). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

spurious wrote: »

Yeah, some guy called "Victor" wrote a lot of history.

Certainly. But you know what I mean
    Nowadays, there is a whole section in the Dept of Ed. devoted to studying and trying to combat the poor performance levels of large sections of male students.
    That's interesting. What conclusion are they coming to do you know?

In the school I went to (admittedly a boys school), they were a majority (I think all the teaching above 'infants' level was done by male teachers).
    The church was more involved 40 years ago - more priests and brothers teaching I suppose?

I just don't think men are as interested in primary teaching as women are - same for nursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

The church was more involved 40 years ago - more priests and brothers teaching I suppose?

I just don't think men are as interested in primary teaching as women are - same for nursing.

Maybe boys did not generally speaking have as positive experiences in school themselves so naturally then are unlikely to want it as a career. Imo school suits girls better both in terms of boys needing to move about more and also female teachers showing bias to girls. My own boys have always told me all their teachers liked the girls more. Children shouldn't be able to notice that so clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Shenshen wrote: »
    Happy International Men's Day, dear male AHers.

Let us know how you celebrate it?
    My husband got breakfast in bed, and I've brought cake for my two male team mates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Men%27s_Day

Is this another fooking Hallmark brainfart day ?

Let me guess it came out of the states somewhere.

• Advertisement

Nope, there was a visiting chaplain but none of the teachers were priests.

Advertisement