Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bomber

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Bellew is on record saying he thought he was stopped on his feet and didn't remember hitting the floor. He was out of it completely. It was an awkward watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,025 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well he repeated the same thing over and over gain and had to ask twice which round he was knocked out in.

I heard that, but I think he was just talking...He was lucid and articulate...

Asking what rd it was couple times, big deal..

Not saying his head was completely there, but for someone who had just been dropped heavily, I think he recovered somewhat as regards being up for the interview..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

There really is so much wrong with British boxing. How Sky sell these fights is gone beyond a joke, it's pure propaganda and every single time there's people who lap it up. Will people ever cop on to it? Surely it eventually gets to a point where people tune out.

Having every pundit under the sun tip Bellew during the week is one thing but even continuing it during the fight after people have bought the PPV is something else. Haye talking as if Bellew was putting on a total clinic the first four rounds, Froch giving any Usyk round as a 10-10, Adam Smith making you think Usyk was on the verge of getting stopped, Paulie Malignaggi the only one who brought any sanity to the broadcast.

Then there's judges cards again. How anyone could've had Bellew three up there is just amazing and has sadly become the norm in the UK now.

It's all getting very tiring I think. Give me a good card on Showtime or ESPN over in the States any day over this. They don't dress it up to be anything but what it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭The Dagestani Eagle

Morrison J wrote: »
    There really is so much wrong with British boxing. How Sky sell these fights is gone beyond a joke, it's pure propaganda and every single time there's people who lap it up. Will people ever cop on to it? Surely it eventually gets to a point where people tune out.

Having every pundit under the sun tip Bellew during the week is one thing but even continuing it during the fight after people have bought the PPV is something else. Haye talking as if Bellew was putting on a total clinic the first four rounds, Froch giving any Usyk round as a 10-10, Adam Smith making you think Usyk was on the verge of getting stopped, Paulie Malignaggi the only one who brought any sanity to the broadcast.

Then there's judges cards again. How anyone could've had Bellew three up there is just amazing and has sadly become the norm in the UK now.

It's all getting very tiring I think. Give me a good card on Showtime or ESPN over in the States any day over this. They don't dress it up to be anything but what it is.
    i always knew we were getting our collars felt, but last night really rammed it home. They are all on the payroll and in on the con.Sad state of affairs when IFL tv ask all the tough questions

The judges cards...

What was wrong with them, Morrison? You are constantly giving out about judges cards..

Three judges...Steve Gray? Is he British...?

Other two were non British, and one had it level and the other had Bellew 1 up...I think this is right...

Lot of the rds could be argued for Bellew, so 3 up is hardly wrong...foreign judge had this card.

You always seem to think there’s skullduggery going on....more so for Sky cards and fighters...

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    The judges cards...

What was wrong with them, Morrison? You are constantly giving out about judges cards..

Three judges...Steve Gray? Is he British...?

Other two were non British, and one had it level and the other had Bellew 1 up...I think this is right...

Lot of the rds could be argued for Bellew, so 3 up is hardly wrong...foreign judge had this card.

You always seem to think there’s skullduggery going on....more so for Sky cards and fighters...

I've just sick of the A-side always getting the benefit of any doubt on the cards every single time. There isn't an even playing field on Matchroom shows and I reckon it goes far beyond what nationality the judges are.

It's not only Matchroom either to be fair but they are particularly bad. Usyk was actually massively balls-y agreeing to fight in the UK given he probably needed a KO to win and he's not a renowned puncher. Shows how confident he was that he's levels above Bellew I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

As far as I’m concerned Groves is all but finished...

Bellew did well last night. Just ran out of steam...nice looped left to end it..

As I thought he wore Bellew down, but for many rds he was not at all clearly superior. One could argue several rds for Bellew.

Just not really overawed by Usyk...

Strange to analyze and assess. Very robotic and stiff, even if he has good feet and balance. His punching is very bland..

Usyk was the ring general, but for large parts of the fight he was missing shots..

Up at HW? Not at all confident he’d beat the best there...

Is anyone surprised a man in his last ever fight started well ?
    He had no chance, he gave it so much he was blowing out his arse by the 7th without ever really troubling Usyk,
    Once the burst ended he got blow away ,

Usyk is a fantastic boxer but to small for the real deal Heavy weights

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭megadodge

I'm not medically qualified, but I honestly thought Bellew showed enough signs of being concussed in the immediate post-fight interview that a doctor or someone in authority should have cut the interview short and had him medically assessed.

It was uncomfortable viewing to say the least.

But isn’t every boxer that suffers a head shot(s) in a way somewhat concussed?

Concussion, of course requires a medical diagnosis...

I could be wrong, but I thought he was no different than any other boxer who would have been interviewed after a KO/TKO loss...

Plus, you don’t need to be knocked out, dropped or even hit all that hard to suffer possible concussion..

And KO doesn’t actually “always” mean that you are knocked out, as in unconscious...it’s just words to describe a manner of victory.

I’ll watch it again, but apart from his asking what rd it was and mistaking the booing of Eddie for that of Usyk, he was very clear and lucid and articulate...

Btw, I am not saying he wasn’t concussed. He probably was. But you could argue that for any boxer who has taken shots to the head. Usyk included here...

Do the authorities ban all post fight ring interviews until the boxers are medically assessed?

I also didn’t find it uncomfortable viewing....

Had his speech been slow and slurred and eyes drowsy/glazed I’d ageee...

• Advertisement

Do the authorities ban all post fight ring interviews until the boxers are medically assessed?

Yes, I believe they should.

Then there would be no post fight ring interviews...

Sometimes signs and symptoms may not present until quite a bit after the event...

It’s not going to happen...a diagnosis/exam takes time...

Not sure, but are boxers not checked over/assessed right after world title fights? Not sure of the rules, but even if true it won’t always get it right as regards, for example, concussion.

Then there would be no post fight ring interviews...

Sometimes signs and symptoms may not present until quite a bit after the event...

It’s not going to happen...a diagnosis/exam takes time...

Not sure, but are boxers not checked over/assessed right after world title fights? Not sure of the rules, but even if true it won’t always get it right as regards, for example, concussion.

I sure wouldn't miss them.

From a facetious point of view - what percentage of post-fight interviews are even remotely interesting?

It's negligible.

"I want to thank the Lord God Almighty My Saviour, without who I wouldn't have been able to achieve.... [what about the trainer]... I'll fight anybody... my team looks after that.... etc. etc." BOOOOOORRRRING!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Mirrors their propaganda about their football too. But are we really shocked that sky do this? Is this news?

People will never tune out as hype sells. It's a momentous gravy train that needs fuel to keep going. Truth and objectivity will never really come into it.

As regards post fight interviews they are a necessity as with emotions high there will be always be a chance of something controversial being said. Was Bellew concussed? I'm not qualified to say but just initially thought he was being himself. Not the brightest spark around.

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Mirrors their propaganda about their football too. But are we really shocked that sky do this? Is this news?

People will never tune out as hype sells. It's a momentous gravy train that needs fuel to keep going. Truth and objectivity will never really come into it.

I just think theres a line they don't cross with football that they have no problem crossing with the boxing. Picking Bellew to beat Usyk and saying he's the better boxer etc is like picking Cardiff to beat Man City and saying Cardiff are the better team. If Gary Neville said that on Sky he'd be rightly mocked, if he did it every single week he'd eventually be sacked. Jonny Nelson does it for every big fight and nobody says a thing. He's apparently being paid to be an analyst.

When Crolla fights Lomachenko I'm sure Sky will have the Salido fight on loop and we'll hear Jonny Nelson saying Crolla can rough Loma up and win a close fight. You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I just think theres a line they don't cross with football that they have no problem crossing with the boxing. Picking Bellew to beat Usyk and saying he's the better boxer etc is like picking Cardiff to beat Man City and saying Cardiff are the better team. If Gary Neville said that on Sky he'd be rightly mocked, if he did it every single week he'd eventually be sacked. Jonny Nelson does it for every big fight and nobody says a thing. He's apparently being paid to be an analyst.

When Crolla fights Lomachenko I'm sure Sky will have the Salido fight on loop and we'll hear Jonny Nelson saying Crolla can rough Loma up and win a close fight. You couldn't make it up.

I agree its gone to far and hard to watch . May not go down well here but i wasnt really impressed by Usyk. He would be murdered at heavyweight.

I've just sick of the A-side always getting the benefit of any doubt on the cards every single time. There isn't an even playing field on Matchroom shows and I reckon it goes far beyond what nationality the judges are.

It's not only Matchroom either to be fair but they are particularly bad. Usyk was actually massively balls-y agreeing to fight in the UK given he probably needed a KO to win and he's not a renowned puncher. Shows how confident he was that he's levels above Bellew I suppose.

I wouldn't really worry about the Sky hype job its always been like that, The actually judges aren't swayed by it so it makes no odds,
    Bellew was up on the cards but it was his last ever fight so of course he was going to give it everything in the beginning and once the early burst died down Usyk was going to be in total control,
    Bellew started very well but never looked like he would win the fight he put way to much into the first few rounds and could never keep it up,

Anyone with there own mind know that Sky think boxing does not exist outside Matchroom ,just ignore the hype and think for yourself
    Remember the fawning over AJ beating Wlad a man who's aura was taking 2 years previous by Fury they pretended it never happened to suit there narrative,

I agree its gone to far and hard to watch . May not go down well here but i wasnt really impressed by Usyk. He would be murdered at heavyweight.

I think people under estimate how much Bellew put into them early rounds he boxed the best he probably ever has in his life and still didn't really trouble Usyk yes he won rounds but he needed to put a dent in Usyk as he was never going to keep that pace up,

Usyk know this and waited for his moment and got the job done, I was impressed, I think its unfair to expect anyone to just blow Bellew away in his final fight, hes to tuff for that ,

I would worry about Usyk at heavy weight cause one think he just will never have is the size, The top dogs there just to big for him,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭normanoffside

FTA69 wrote: »
    I agree with Walsh and I hate to say it Norman but they'll probably have enough wiggle room to blackguard their way out of it.

As suspected they couldn't pay out on TKO as the result was down officially as a KO.
    I have collected my winnings on RDs 7-12 which has made me a profit anyway.
    If the results is changed from KO to TKO I can come back to caim the other part of the bet.

To be honest i can see it from PP's point of view. They have already paid out on KO bets and are just going off the official result.

Basically i need to get Boxrec to change the result!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paul64

As suspected they couldn't pay out on TKO as the result was down officially as a KO.
    I have collected my winnings on RDs 7-12 which has made me a profit anyway.
    If the results is changed from KO to TKO I can come back to caim the other part of the bet.

To be honest i can see it from PP's point of view. They have already paid out on KO bets and are just going off the official result.

Basically i need to get Boxrec to change the result!

Its down on boxrec as a TKO

• Advertisement

paul64 wrote: »
    Its down on boxrec as a TKO

Really? It’s just been changes then.
    It was down as a KO at lunchtime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

If a fighter gets put to sleep, where the referee doesn't even start a count, just waves it off, that's a tko and not a KO?

If a fighter gets put to sleep, where the referee doesn't even start a count, just waves it off, that's a tko and not a KO?

No, that’s a KO. The Ref has to stop it sometimes when it’s clear the fighter won’t get up for safety reasons. For example the fighter needs urgent medical attention

In this case Bellew was getting up and the Ref called it off at 7. Perfectly reasonable thing for the Ref to do but that’s a TKO

:)
    https://twitter.com/CompanyJohnny/status/1061383432100556807

Crolla being a top rated mandatory for any world belt is all that is wrong about professional boxing..

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

I like Crolla, he's been decent watching over the years. Is Johnny Nelson a gombeen or is that a windup? Lomachenko would win with the jab alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Anyway, a fine career from Bellew and great that he is walking away now.

British, Commonwealth, European and World Champion along with making enough money in his last few fights to be financially secure for the future. I didn't like him at the start of his career but he grew on me and never backed down from a challenge. Happy retirement to the Bomber.

boxer.fan wrote: »
    I like Crolla, he's been decent watching over the years. Is Johnny Nelson a gombeen or is that a windup? Lomachenko would win with the jab alone.

That’s a piss take twitter account to be fair but it’s not far from reality.

Johner wrote: »
    Anyway, a fine career from Bellew and great that he is walking away now.

I wouldn't be too sure here......

Going out on a KO loss may not suit him....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

I wouldn't be too sure here......

Going out on a KO loss may not suit him....

With that wife of his at home, any wonder he doesn't want to retire...

Advertisement