Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thongs = Consent

Options
  • 07-11-2018 6:16pm
    Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/counsel-for-man-acquitted-of-rape-suggested-jurors-should-reflect-on-underwear-worn-by-teen-complainant-883613.html?utm_source=iosapp&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=sharebutton

Does the evidence out-rule the possibility that she was attracted to the defendant and was open to meeting someone and being with someone? You have to look at the way she was dressed. She was wearing a thong with a lace front.”

Counsel for the defence, Ms Elizabeth O’Connell SC, said this.

Not sure how that was even allowed in the closing remarks to be honest. I thought we had moved away from implying that women's outfits made men all uncontrollably rapey but I didn't realise that according to some we merely sidestepped to it meaning that if our underwear is a certain shape or fabric, we are automatically consenting to sexual contact - wanted or not - from any man in the vicinity.

I'm rather worried about my sensible M&S granny pants now considering they have a lace front to them and they are...black.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Disgusting closing comments. Even worse that they were from a female barrister :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

That whole article is pretty disturbing, but to suggest that her pants might have being saying 'yes' on her behalf???

Jesus. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Well it's an argument... jury decide who they believe. Defence has to represent their client in some way.

But surely barristers have a responsibility to the wider community as well to not promulgate dangerous myths about how a woman's clothing is a reliable guide to whether or not she is likely to have sex?

Imagine if they were still going around claiming that alleged victims were clearly promiscuous because they had dyed their hair blonde/gone to a bar alone/went out walking without a chaperone. That's a world we're trying to get away from, not head back in to.

A barristers job is to represent their client.

Maybe they sometimes make ridiculous arguments knowing that they'll be judged as ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Addle wrote: »
    A barristers job is to represent their client.

Maybe they sometimes make ridiculous arguments knowing that they'll be judged as ridiculous.

They weren't judged as ridiculous. He was found not guilty.

From the article:

Commenting on the night in question, the defendant said they were kissing and he said they "felt attracted to one another on the night.”
    Mr Creed said: “There is not one person who saw you kissing.” The defendant named one man who allegedly did see them kissing but this person did not give evidence in the trial.

and

Mr Creed said: “A witness saw you with your hand to her throat.” The defendant said that was not correct. He said the witness misread the situation.
    The defendant denied that and said “she was not crying at any stage.”
    When the complainant’s evidence that he dragged her over 30 metres to the spot where the alleged rape occurred, was put to him he said he "didn’t drag anyone anywhere.”
    He said she was kind of worried about her dress getting dirty in what he described as “the moist mud”.
    He said that after (a witness at the scene) asked was everything alright in a sarcastic manner he replied: "What the **** does it look like. Mind your own business."
    “Then she (the complainant) was getting funny, it was like she snapped out of a buzz. She said stop and I stopped. We were going to have sex, she said stop and I stopped,” he testified.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Sorry to butt in here ladies, a male here but with daughters. Former solicitor. Fully agree with you all. Completely mad. Just a note to say not all us men are bad, we certainly do not support the argument presented by this barrister.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's unfair to imply he was found not guilty just because of that comment unless you were present in the jury room. I think judges should point out to the jury to disregard the comments like that but you can't blame barrister for trying on behalf of their client.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

myshirt wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in here ladies, a male here but with daughters. Former solicitor. Fully agree with you all. Completely mad. Just a note to say not all us men are bad, we certainly do not support the argument presented by this barrister.

Out of interest, are there any guidelines with regard to remarks made by either side during closing arguments - I know that during the witness testimony things stated can get struck from the record or the judge can direct a jury to disregard a statement/ get counsel to rephrase, but is there any such restrictions for the closing arguments?

Neyite wrote: »
    Out of interest, are there any guidelines with regard to remarks made by either side during closing arguments - I know that during the witness testimony things stated can get struck from the record or the judge can direct a jury to disregard a statement/ get counsel to rephrase, but is there any such restrictions for the closing arguments?
    What would those guidelines suggest in the like of a murder case?
    Defence have to defend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Clearly that barrister has never worn a thong just so she won't have a knicker line showing when wearing something tight. Absolutely ridiculous thing for her to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Well it's an argument... jury decide who they believe. Defence has to represent their client in some way.

Its a disgusting argument like the Middle Class girls wouldnt tolerate rape in the Ulster Rugby

But the legal profession are a law unto themselves literally

meeeeh wrote: »
    It's unfair to imply he was found not guilty just because of that comment unless you were present in the jury room. I think judges should point out to the jury to disregard the comments like that but you can't blame barrister for trying on behalf of their client.

No that comment was cheap nasty and irrelevant

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

What would those guidelines suggest in the like of a murder case?
    Defence have to defend.

Why are you asking me? My question was directed to someone working in the legal profession as I'd like to know more.

meeeeh wrote: »

The whole case was based on whether consent was given or not.

She testified that consent was not given.

He testified that it was.
    The barrister stated that by wearing the thong which had a lace front, it was implied that she wore the item specifically intending to have sex that night.

If the comment had no bearing on the outcome of the trial, why would the barrister even suggest it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

If the comment had no bearing on the outcome of the trial, why would the barrister even suggest it?

Were you in the jury room to know that was what influenced decision? I don't like the comment, I don't agree with the comment but neither I think it is fair to conclude about someone's guilt or innocence on the basis of fairly limited reporting (I haven't seen victim's statement or many other details of closing statements).

The whole case was based on whether consent was given or not.

Not quite ... currently under Irish law, for a man to be found guilty of rape he has to have known he was having sex without consent or was reckless in whether she had given consent.

So the case was based on whether he BELIEVED consent was given, not on whether consent WAS given or not.

“If you are satisfied she did not consent and that he knew she did not consent then you convict”

This was the closing of the Prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/counsel-for-man-acquitted-of-rape-suggested-jurors-should-reflect-on-underwear-worn-by-teen-complainant-883613.html?utm_source=iosapp&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=sharebutton

Does the evidence out-rule the possibility that she was attracted to the defendant and was open to meeting someone and being with someone? You have to look at the way she was dressed. She was wearing a thong with a lace front.”

Counsel for the defence, Ms Elizabeth O’Connell SC, said this.

Not sure how that was even allowed in the closing remarks to be honest. I thought we had moved away from implying that women's outfits made men all uncontrollably rapey but I didn't realise that according to some we merely sidestepped to it meaning that if our underwear is a certain shape or fabric, we are automatically consenting to sexual contact - wanted or not - from any man in the vicinity.

I'm rather worried about my sensible M&S granny pants now considering they have a lace front to them and they are...black.

The judge can still order the jury to disregard the remarks even in closing arguments if they aren’t considered relevant to the case, related to the evidence already presented, are intended to mislead the members of the jury, or are considered unreasonable. They have a fair bit of leeway in what is or isn’t considered reasonable in those circumstances because it’s the defendant is on trial, not the witnesses, and the defendant has a right to a fair trial, whereas the witnesses have no such right because they aren’t on trial accused of a criminal offence.

It’s kind of like arguing that the prosecution shouldn’t be allowed to present their case because it assumes an innocent person is guilty. The defendant always has the right to the presumption of innocence in a court of law unless they are found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt by a jury. Of course the prosecution would have to present their case even when the implication is that an innocent person may be found guilty of a criminal offence.

It still doesn’t matter what you’re wearing if you’re ever the victim of rape, but that’s a completely different context to whether or not what you were wearing is relevant as regards the evidence presented in a Court of Law.

Shelga wrote: »
    Disgusting closing comments. Even worse that they were from a female barrister :(

I don’t think they would sound any less disgusting or worse coming from a man either. I understand what you mean, but the point I’m making is that whether they’re a man or a woman, they’re a barrister first and foremost and they are duty bound by their profession to act in the best interests of their client and defending their client to the best of their ability. Painting the witnesses for the prosecution in a bad light in these kinds of cases is par for the course unfortunately, from the witnesses perspective at least. I don’t feel that witnesses are ever sufficiently prepared for this inevitability. It’s a risky strategy as it can play either way with the jury - the fact that the barrister made the comment may in some jurors minds paint the barrister as a scumbag and on that basis motivate them to find the defendant guilty, evidence be damned. Jurys are after all ordinary menbers of the public like all of us here with our own prejudices and biases which undoubtedly influence our attitudes towards, and our perceptions of, other people.

B0jangles wrote: »
    But surely barristers have a responsibility to the wider community as well to not promulgate dangerous myths about how a woman's clothing is a reliable guide to whether or not she is likely to have sex?

Imagine if they were still going around claiming that alleged victims were clearly promiscuous because they had dyed their hair blonde/gone to a bar alone/went out walking without a chaperone. That's a world we're trying to get away from, not head back in to.

Barristers have no responsibility towards the wider community for anything. Their only responsibility is to act in the best interests of their client and defend their client to the best of their ability. I’m not sure where you ever got the impression that those kinds of arguments aren’t still common in these kinds of cases. The article in Neyite’s opening post only mentions that the barrister made the remarks, it doesn’t say anything about whether or not the judge ordered the jury to disregard the remarks. The point I’m making is that it’s just as common for a judge to order the jury to disregard remarks like that, but the cats out of the bag at that stage and like I said - remarks like that can go either way in influencing the members of the jury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Not condoning the comment at all, but I do doubt she made it apropos of nothing. It's quite possible that the prosecution portrayed the plaintiff as an immature teenager out for the night for fun with her friends and with sex the furthest thing from her mind and the defence barrister was responding to that.

The defence's responsibility is to their client, the defence's audience is the jury. She must have known that were these comments picked up they'd play very very badly with the general public, but made a call that it'd play well or at least not negatively with the jury and apparently she was correct.

It's an attitude that's slowly dying out and it's galling to hear it in a court room for sure, but I'm not massively surprised and I'd like to see more context than is in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

That comment seemed unprofessional.

There was a long debate here about the Belfast rape case and the verdict. There was a table in one of the threads (I can't find it) which outlined the several different steps or grey areas between guilty beyond reasonable doubt and not guilty. Apparently a rapist would have to be found guilty beyond reasonable doubt to be convicted. However there are several grey areas in between "guilty beyond reasonable doubt" and "not guilty". I am not a legal professional, perhaps a solicitor could provide a link to that table.

It is horrific to think that a barrister, a supposedly educated woman, would make a remark in court about a teenager's lacy thong. Many young girls and women wear skimpy underwear for the fun of it and not because they want to have sex. I presume this woman doesn't have daughters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Emme wrote: »
    ...It is horrific to think that a barrister, a supposedly educated woman, would make a remark in court about a teenager's lacy thong. Many young girls and women wear skimpy underwear for the fun of it and not because they want to have sex. I presume this woman doesn't have daughters.

It certainly was, to my ears, a very disturbing line of comment and a very strange thing for a woman to come out with. But it is also typical of a barrister - they spend a substantial part of their professional lives training themselves to argue white is black and black is white, and their duty being to the client will occasionally throw crap of this nature to minimise the impact to said client, while internally revulsed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As EB says, my feeling on this is that the comment itself is contextual, but we don't have the context. The closest thing I can find (from the examiner) is;
    "Ms O’Connell suggested the complainant was, on the night, open to the possibility of being with someone and that the person she became attracted to ended up being the defendant."

Reading between the lines it sounds like part of the prosecution's case was that the victim gave a statement claiming she was just out for a bit of drinking and dancing, wasn't interested in hooking up with anyone, and wasn't at all interested in the defendant (hence the argument over whether they were kissing or not).

In that case, the defence's call to look at what she was wearing, is not so much to say that "she was gamey and up for it", but rather to discredit her claim that she wasn't open to meeting anyone that night. Discrediting the other side's witnesses is generally the primary goal of any barrister, even if it comes across as callous.

That said, to suggest that any person going out wouldn't put on nice, clean clothes unless they were hoping for a bit of rough-and-tumble, seems like a ridiculous argument which hoped to appeal to outdated sentiment. "I'm not interested in hooking up tonight, so I'm going to go to this fancy club in my hoodie and granny pants." Said no woman, ever.

It's completely plausible that this girl put on her "good" knickers because that's what you do when you're going out. And she never once thought, "Hopefully someone gets to see these".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

seamus wrote: »
    It's completely plausible that this girl put on her "good" knickers because that's what you do when you're going out. And she never once thought, "Hopefully someone gets to see these".

I'd say it's more than plausible, it's extremely likely. I'm sitting in work in a lacy thong that nobody is going to see, other than my dog if she decides to bust into room while I'm getting changed later. My choice of underwear says absolutely nothing other than that I like thongs.

The comment made in the trial is deeply disturbing to me and I can't think of any further context that would make it any less so, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Try_harder wrote: »

She made a show of herself, ranting and raving. I turned back to Duffy.

Prominent anti choice barrister unsurprisingly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Very disturbing. All sounds very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'd say it's more than plausible, it's extremely likely. I'm sitting in work in a lacy thong that nobody is going to see, other than my dog if she decides to bust into room while I'm getting changed later. My choice of underwear says absolutely nothing other than that I like thongs.

The comment made in the trial is deeply disturbing to me and I can't think of any further context that would make it any less so, tbh.

Completely agree with this. If I'm going out, whether it be to work or a pub, and I'm wearing a nice outfit, I don't then go and stick on a sports bra and my worn out granny pants, I wear nice undergarments too. It doesn't mean I'm going to be showing them to my colleagues or those I am drinking with, it is purely because I like wearing nice things and I don't like putting together an outfit and then not being put together with the rest of my attire, regardless of who will see it. I'd imagine many women are the same. God forbid we wear something nice to feel good in ourselves, nope has to be about men.

Also, not sure why they deem a thong as a particularly... sex related garment, I find them most comfortable so even my comfort underwear are penneys best cotton thongs with lace trim :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Emme wrote: »
    Many young girls and women wear skimpy underwear for the fun of it and not because they want to have sex.

They do, but that’s completely irrelevant in this particular case, as is any of the ladies here posting about their own choice of underwear. The barrister only has to make an argument that sounds reasonable enough for members of the jury in the case in question to form the opinion that there is reasonable doubt in relation to whether or not their client should be found guilty of a criminal offence.

I presume this woman doesn't have daughters.

It’s irrelevant whether or not the barrister is a woman or a man or whether or not they have children. They’re Officers of the Court representing the best interests of their clients, and failure to do so can mean negative consequences for themselves, or a conviction overturned on appeal.

Try_harder wrote: »

That’s a particularly stupid argument. If a mans underwear were considered relevant by either the prosecution or the defence to provide evidence one way or the other, and provided it wasn’t prejudicial to the defendant(s) receiving a fair trial, or if the alleged victim were a man, then of course it could be argued that it should be introduced in evidence. The reason Ms. Kelly may never have heard of it may well be because the media rarely reports on cases where the alleged victim is a man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

seamus wrote: »
    That said, to suggest that any person going out wouldn't put on nice, clean clothes unless they were hoping for a bit of rough-and-tumble, seems like a ridiculous argument which hoped to appeal to outdated sentiment. "I'm not interested in hooking up tonight, so I'm going to go to this fancy club in my hoodie and granny pants." Said no woman, ever.

While I completely disagree with the barristers remarks, one of the reasons it was brought up at all is the contra truth to your statement. Had she been wearing a hoodie and granny pants, then it's something the prosecution would have used to indicate she wasn't looking for a hook up, ergo, with the opposite scenario, the defence would be negligent not to highlight this.

Similarly, if a man was assaulted, and had a condom in his pocket, that would be used in a similar manner (and we can blame society that women are judged on what they wear more than men are).

Advertisement