Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭KevRossi

She was named 'Lolar' and was relatively easily captured, once her whereabouts were confirmed. She was exhausted, half starved, and close to death on a beach when finally found, after a couple of reports of what people thought was a Golden Eagle.

Would it not be 'Iolar', the Irish for Eagle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

KevRossi wrote: »
    Would it not be 'Iolar', the Irish for Eagle?

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Well now I've learned something, my grandparents said Fiolar, now I see that's dialectal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

And, I was on that flight! 22nd December 1987.

Fair play, I'd never have identified you as a bald eagle... :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Fair play, I'd never have identified you as a bald eagle... :)

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

She was named 'Lolar' and was relatively easily captured, once her whereabouts were confirmed. She was exhausted, half starved, and close to death on a beach when finally found, after a couple of reports of what people thought was a Golden Eagle.

https://funsubstance.com/uploads/preview/500/500096.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Fourier wrote: »
    Well now I've learned something, my grandparents said Fiolar, now I see that's dialectal.

Cork/Kerry by any chance?

One of the great things about this thread is the amount of times that it has pushed me to start Googling stuff - further reading if you will. It seem that Fiolar may be the correct spelling of Iolar, albeit with an accent over the F, which in the great Irish tradition renders it silent.

There's an explanation here: https://roaringwaterjournal.com/2017/02/05/nest-of-the-eagle/
    Back to the eagles and – in an interesting diversion into semantics – we noticed that the name over the door of the pub is in old Irish script and has introduced an additional character to the word Iolair – it looks like an ‘f’. Finola tells me that the use of the accent over that ‘f’ – which is known as a búilte – serves to silence the letter. In modern script it would be converted to ‘fh’: so fhiolair would still be pronounced ‘uller’. But we can’t find any precedent for using the word in this form. Perhaps an expert in Irish language can help us here…?

On a related note here is a map of all places on these islands where the name 'Eagle' has been incorporated into placenames.

eagles-data.jpg?w=809&h=527

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

One of the great things about this thread is the amount of times that it has pushed me to start Googling stuff - further reading if you will. It seem that Fiolar may be the correct spelling of Iolar, albeit with an accent over the F, which in the great Irish tradition renders it silent.
    They said Fiolar (F pronounced) for "an eagle", but An Fhiolar (F silent and the n altered) for "the eagle". Mayo actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Have we done the Bald Eagle is called so, not because it’s bald but as in pie-bald - two coloured?

Have we done the Bald Eagle is called so, not because it’s bald but as in pie-bald - two coloured?

The Bald comes from the old use of Bald to mean White Patch, Blaze or Light Headed. Piebald derives from the same source.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Where does the "pie" part come from?

New Home wrote: »
    Where does the "pie" part come from?

Believe it or not the Pie comes from Magpie.

Is it because it has two colours, too? So it's called two-coloured two-coloured bird?

Is it because it has two colours, too? So it's called two-coloured two-coloured bird?
    Etymology
    From Mag, a nickname for Margaret that was used to denote a chatterer, and pie, from Old French pie, from Latin pīca, from Proto-Indo-European *(s)peyk- (“woodpecker, magpie”).

The use of pied comes after the bird was named.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

And the magpie is pica pica, one of the many double-upped up latin-y names.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    And the magpie is pica pica, one of the many double-upped up latin-y names.

Puffinus puffinus, is another, but it isn't a Puffin but a Manx Shearwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Well,according to wiktionary
    From Middle Irish ilar (compare Scottish Gaelic iolair), from Old Irish irar, from Proto-Celtic *eriros (“eagle”) (compare Welsh eryr, Breton erer), from Proto-Indo-European *h₃#333; (“large bird”).

so the f- seems to be a prothesis. The same thing happened to the verb "to see" - this was Old Irish ·aicci (“sees”), prototonic form of ad·cfrom Proto-Celtic *ad-kʷis-o-, from Proto-Indo-European *kʷey- (“observe”), but someone thought it had a lenited f at the start, and the verb "feic" was created.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Puffinus puffinus, is another, but it isn't a Puffin but a Manx Shearwater.

Yep, plenty of these. Another is Margaritifera margaritifera, the freshwater pearl mussel.

And the Eurasian wren, Troglodytes troglodytes.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

And the Eurasian wren, Troglodytes troglodytes.

Which is a long way from Pan troglodytes, the common chimp.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

You can see the speed of sound in action below at Queen's 1985 Live Aid show during the clapping part of 'We Will Rock You'. AFAIK no delay stacks were used so it took a split second longer for the crowd at the back to hear (this would not happen in concerts of its size now).

Skip the video to 16:34 and it lasts a mere 6 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Finn Antti Niemi played professional soccer as a goalkeeper.  Another Finn called Antti Niemi plays professional ice hockey as a goalkeeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

764dak wrote: »
    Finn Antti Niemi played professional soccer as a goalkeeper.  Another Finn called Antti Niemi plays professional ice hockey as a goalkeeper.

But sure that could be the Finnish equivalent of Paddy Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

764dak wrote: »

But sure that could be the Finnish equivalent of Paddy Murphy.
    According to forebears.io, Murphy is the most common surname in Ireland (1 in 60) while Niemi is the 17th most common surname in Finland (1 in 381).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,274 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

He's not Finnish, he's 28!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

We've been there and passed through Intercourse to Paradise and Bird in the Hand. They certainly have some interesting town names.

they also have a Donegal and a Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

The term rain check is pretty widely used as a polite informal way to stay away from or cancel an engagement. I myself understood that its origins were directly weather related. As in, it was common to say something like "we'll check on the day, and if it is raining, we will cancel." This was only partially true.

Heard this morning that the true reason and origin of the phrase came from Baseball in the early 20th century. If a game was rained off or cancelled outright due to poor weather, fans were given a voucher to attend a future game. This voucher or rain check used the American spelling (check as opposed to cheque) and the term moved in to common usage. I think it is a good example of where something is misunderstood and yet the false understanding is as believable and accurate as the correct one.

yeah some people seem to think it means that something is cancelled, but in fact it means the event is to be postoned till a later date.

so if you don't go to lunch with a friend and say it's a rain check , you are meant to contact them and make plans again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Just watched a chameleon being hatched from an egg on YouTube.

Never thought they came from eggs. But I guess it makes sense.

Googled it then and some chameleons give live birth which is even weirder for reptiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Public workers are entitled to 3 force majeure days per year.

These days allow you to leave work to care for a sick relative where you are needed.

Came in to avoid situations where a parent rushes out of work to attend a sick child becoming an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Public workers are entitled to 3 force majeure days per year.

These days allow you to leave work to care for a sick relative where you are needed.

Came in to avoid situations where a parent rushes out of work to attend a sick child becoming an issue.

All workers are entitled to it (Link)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement