Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The term rain check is pretty widely used as a polite informal way to stay away from or cancel an engagement. I myself understood that its origins were directly weather related. As in, it was common to say something like "we'll check on the day, and if it is raining, we will cancel." This was only partially true.

Heard this morning that the true reason and origin of the phrase came from Baseball in the early 20th century. If a game was rained off or cancelled outright due to poor weather, fans were given a voucher to attend a future game. This voucher or rain check used the American spelling (check as opposed to cheque) and the term moved in to common usage. I think it is a good example of where something is misunderstood and yet the false understanding is as believable and accurate as the correct one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Had they spelt it "cheque" in the first place, there would have never been any misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

There is a rare mental illness called the Cotard delusion (or informally as Walking Dead Syndrome) in which the sufferer thinks they are dead.
    It can happen due to some sort of brain damage such as an accident or a stroke.
    There are successful drug treatments now, but people in the past with the syndrome have died of starvation through thinking that they don't need to eat because they are dead...

Did they try haunting people or places?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

New Home wrote: »
    Had they spelt it "cheque" in the first place, there would have never been any misunderstanding.

Ya don't say!?! :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Ya don't say!?! :eek:

I know, it's positively shocking. ;)

(I actually managed to skip that line when I read the post in the first place...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭KevRossi

If you lay the Burj Khalifa flat, it wouldn't fit into the Vatican City.

burj-khalifa-vatican-city.jpg

At 828m it is taller than the highest point in 51 countries worldwide.

The total floor area is about 75% of the size of the Vatican City; an independent nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭standardg60

b318isp wrote: »
    You'd probably guess that volcanic lava is heated by pressure, but you may be surprised to know that it is substantially heated by two other major mechanisms:

1. Continuous cooling of the earth's core and mantle since the earth was formed about 4.6 billion years ago
    2. Radioactive decay from naturally occurring materials such as plutonium and uranium

I found it hard to think that there would be a substantial affect from billions of years of cooling, nor enough radioactive material to cause heating. However, the vast majority of the thermal energy within the earth is from these means, with a tiny amount from the sun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_energy
    http://volcano.oregonstate.edu/how-lava-formed

Think of it this way..cooling=contraction=pressure=heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

KevRossi wrote: »
    If you lay the Burj Khalifa flat, it wouldn't fit into the Vatican City.

burj-khalifa-vatican-city.jpg

At 828m it is taller than the highest point in 51 countries worldwide.

The total floor area is about 75% of the size of the Vatican City; an independent nation.

Burj Khalifa flat or otherwise and the Vatican City... -unlikley bedfellows

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

There are probably other airports that have this or similar, but the set-down area for departing passengers in Gdansk airport in Poland is officially labelled as "Kiss And Fly"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

Think of it this way..cooling=contraction=pressure=heat.

Not in this case, it's convection from the core/mantle - where it is still ~4000degC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Jude13

blastman wrote: »
    There are probably other airports that have this or similar, but the set-down area for departing passengers in Gdansk airport in Poland is officially labelled as "Kiss And Fly"

Same for french airports

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Nebuchadnezzar II 634 BC - 562 BC had boanthropy - the psychological disorder where you believe you are a cow or ox.

I was in babylon as a kid. There's a part of the city that was built during a big expansion. Every brick is embossed with Nebuchadnezzars name (I can't remember which one, I think it was the third).

Also, the entrance to Babylon is a giant gate. Weirdly, the top half is in berlin. Here's an article about it

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/archaeology-and-history/magazine/2017/11-12/history-babylon-ishtar-gate-quest/

The base of it is still in Babylon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Actually, it was the second
    https://www.bible-history.com/archaeology/babylon/nebuchadnezzar-brick.html

It being the 80's when I was there, and people being a lot less aware of conservation, my parents may have nicked a brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

In Britain in the last century, it was quite acceptable for a gentleman to lose his virginity to one of London's many whore dogs. Dickens and Prince Albert both boasted of their experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

In Britain in the last century, it was quite acceptable for a gentleman to lose his virginity to one of London's many whore dogs. Dickens and Prince Albert both boasted of their experience.

WTF,whore dogs that's a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The dog feels nothing. It's made of string.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

The dog feels nothing. It's made of string.

The fox feels nothing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Many people feel Christmas is too commercial these days, what with all the ads and shops staying open all hours right up to the day. However, it's not exactly a new phenomenon, at least in the US. Macy's department store in New York stayed open until midnight on Christmas Eve in 1867.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Conchir wrote: »
    Many people feel Christmas is too commercial these days, what with all the ads and shops staying open all hours right up to the day. However, it's not exactly a new phenomenon, at least in the US. Macy's department store in New York stayed open until midnight on Christmas Eve in 1867.

Yeah but they weren't blasting out Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody on the 6th of November.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We used the same evoting machines as the Dutch, the Nedap ES3B.

When Dutch researchers got their hands on one they found out the password for the maintenance mode on their ones was GEHEIM.

Which is Dutch (and German) for SECRET

• Advertisement

:D At least it wasn't password1...

I can't remember if if was the Dutch or someone else, but our voting machines were scrapped also because someone managed to turn one into a videogame (or something to that effect, anyway).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I can't remember if if was the Dutch or someone else, but our voting machines were scrapped also because someone managed to turn one into a videogame (or something to that effect, anyway).
    These things only have 16KB of RAM so they weren't powerful enough for video.

The Dutch researchers claimed that the Nedap
    "was just another computer, and that it could just as easily be programmed to play chess, or to lie about the election results."

The guy selling the machines responded
    "And with regard to the claim that our machine can play chess: I would like to see that demonstrated”

Picture
    https://frank.geekheim.de/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/580px-P1010892.jpg

Full document
    https://www.usenix.org/legacy/event/evt07/tech/full_papers/gonggrijp/gonggrijp.pdf

These things only have 16KB of RAM so they weren't powerful enough for video.

The Dutch researchers claimed that the Nedap
    "was just another computer, and that it could just as easily be programmed to play chess, or to lie about the election results."

The guy selling the machines responded
    "And with regard to the claim that our machine can play chess: I would like to see that demonstrated”

Picture
    https://frank.geekheim.de/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/580px-P1010892.jpg

Full document
    https://www.usenix.org/legacy/event/evt07/tech/full_papers/gonggrijp/gonggrijp.pdf

Might have just been snake, or something. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

blastman wrote: »
    In Switzerland the park and ride area is called the "Kiss and ride". Cue me taking "hilarious" pics of the gf standing beside the sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,204 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Park and Ride, is that where people go dogging?

In a 2015 review of the WINVote voting machine running Windows XP they found ..

WiFi password "abcde"
    Administrator password "admin"

Not that it mattered because WiFi used WEP which is so trivial to crack it was replaced by WPA a decade earlier.

Loads of ports were open so they could gain drive access with the "admin" password. Then the Access database password was cracked in 10 seconds. And all the databases used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The longest theoretical line of sight (furthest you can see standing on the ground) on the planet is not from Mt Everest, but from but from Dankova, Kyrgyzstan (5.971 m.) to Hindu Tagh, China (6.436 m.) a total distance of 538km (334 mi).

hindutagh-dankova-cat.png

The longest confirmed line of sight photograph (ground to ground on earth) has distance of 443km. from Pic de Finestrelles (Pyrenees) to Pic Gaspard (Alps).

Here's the photo:

rklNneq.jpg

This is what it looks like on a map:

KGKkObr.png

FWIW a 1.8m tall person can see about 5 Km on perfectly level ground, or standing beside the sea.

^^

The longest unamplified Wi-Fi link is a 304 km link achieved by CISAR (Italian Center for Radio Activities)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

WTF,whore dogs that's a new one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

SuperS54 wrote: »

Should rename thread ' Things I wish I didn't know'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement