Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

The Gardai are probably concerned about licencing laws, whats that would be the response from our ethnic friends.

Until travellers show some willingness to obey the laws society set then the Gardai are right to object to the pub. They are the ones who would have to go down unarmed to sort out the inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Can we get some aloe vera for dav3 please...

Quiet down, bot
    dav3 wrote: »
    I think we all noticed the disproportionate amount of posts supporting a certain candidate in the recent Irish presidential election. Most notably on After Hours.

As can be seen on the exit poll carried out by RTE/Red C, the number of people who voted for the candidate Peter Casey differs greatly from the support he received on certain threads within After hours.

You are being targeted, you are being targeted by users outside of Ireland. You will continue to be targeted if you do not take action against them.

The people that run this website know exactly what their demographic is. As you can see from the data provided in the exit poll, your demographic completely disengaged from the debate in huge numbers. I'm sure this is a concern not only to the people who take running this website seriously, but also the people who pay to keep this website running.

We all hope that such a catastrophic failure by the moderation team in After Hours will not be repeated and any help they require to deal with the current situation will be provided to them.

I would like to know what measures have been put in place to prevent such an event from occurring again during an upcoming election?

I think you are well aware of what will happen if your main demographic is driven from the site. I suggest you seek help from other websites that have successfully dealt with this issue before it is too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I'm sure if you took 45 people from Tory Island or the Hebrides or any other isolated community, you would probably get the same result. That doesn't mean they're of a different ethnicity.

As for the claims about a separate language ... how many Travellers actually speak Shelta? I've never heard a Traveller speaking anything but English.

And the separate customs? What would these be?

In modern times, the separate customs I can see are

(1) Home schooling for girls over 12
    (2) Arranged marriage for girls who turn 16.
    (3) Women "encouraged" to work in the home
    (4) Bare-knuckle fighting
    (5) Disregard for property
    (6) Criminality
    (7) Environmental destruction through waste

Their ancestors, who did have a proud and noble tradition of nomadism married to trading and recycling, must be turning in their graves. Modern day travellers are a parody of their culture akin to plastic leprechauns for Irishness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

tretorn wrote: »
    It doesnt matter what Casey thinks about travellers, how can anyone get through to you.

What matters is the amount of people who came out in their droves to vote for Casey because he was the only public official to speak for them If nothing is done in spite of this huge vote then people will just write off the Gardai completely and take the law into their own hands, its surprising this hasnt happened yet in view of the provocation rural people are living with( as evidenced by numbers voting for Peter Casey).

And here's me thinking the thread was about what Casey thinks of travelers.

20 odd percent of a 43% turn out...droves? Hardly.
    Roughly less than 10% of the electorate. I don't think many think it's the most pressing of issues. If they do, they weren't arsed voting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

20 odd percent of a 46% turn out...droves? Hardly. Roughly 10% of the electorate. I don't think many think it's the most pressing of issues. If they do, they weren't arsed voting.

You going to start trotting out that nonsense that Francie was at?It was 23 per cent of the electorate that voted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

You going to start trotting out that nonsense that Francie was at?It was 23 per cent of the electorate that voted.

That's what I said ffs. So if only two people voted and one was for Casey you could say half :) Wouldn't really represent Ireland now though would it?

That's what I said ffs. So if only two people voted and one was for Casey you could say half

340+ thousand people voted for Casey hardly a small number. 1 in 3 of FF voters voted for him which has caused FF to re-examine their Traveller policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

You should have a look at the feedback thread. It's unbelievable what someone is hoping the admin team in boards will concede to .

That thread is an embarrassment. Fair play to the boards admins for giving it short shrift. They were far more professional and polite in their response to it, than the two word answer I thought it deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

340+ thousand people voted for Casey hardly a small number. 1 in 3 of FF voters voted for him which has caused FF to re-examine their Traveller policy.

And do not forget, we have no idea how many 2nd preferences he got, which is a shame as it would put paid to the notion that only racists/bigots/knuckledraggers voted for Casey, which is what our media want you to believe.

There is a strong case that between 1st and 2nd preferences, Casey got well over 500,000 votes.

Now, to go from 2% (circa 30,000 votes) to 500,000 in the space of a few days, in the absence of any polling, in the face of vicious media hostility....

It is no wonder, the establishment, their Bishops in the media, their idiots in the State broadcaster reacted the way they did!

They say a week is a long time in politics....one Michael D Higgins scandal in that last week, who knows what could have happened!!!

Anyone know how much the State pays Michael D Higgins personal secretary?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭QuintusFabius

Ipso wrote: »
    Ethnicity is really stretching it, subculture might be more appropriate.

Sub human would be even more precise

• Registered Users Posts: 51,511 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I would love to see a halting site going in on RTEs site in Donnybrook.

Imagine the dent this would put in the sale price for the land, I presume this windfall is to go into a pot to pay Tubridys and the rest of the motor mouths pensions.

If there was any justice in the world a halting site or group housing for travellers would be built but it wont happen because lots of wealty people own and rent apartments in Donnybrook and no way are travellers going to be put beside rugby peoples hangouts.
    That's what I said ffs. So if only two people voted and one was for Casey you could say half :) Wouldn't really represent Ireland now though would it?
    Were you drafted in Matt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

And do not forget, we have no idea how many 2nd preferences he got, which is a shame as it would put paid to the notion that only racists/bigots/knuckledraggers voted for Casey, which is what our media want you to believe.

I'm not sure if certain people really want to start looking into 2nd preference votes. The Sinn Féin candidate Liadh Ní Riada received the most 2nd preference votes according to the exit poll.

Its really unfair that a large number of economic migrants are to be relocated to Roscommon.

The rural areas are forgotten about until its time to send asylum seekers somewhere where the locals havent the nuumbers to mount opposition.

It would be much better if these people were located on RTES land at Donnybrook, the RTE staff could go to somewhere off the M50 and their vast offices could be converted into accommodation. There would definitely be room there for traveller families too.

The refugees/ migrants havent a hope of settling in Roscommon, even the local young women are getting out of these areas and not coming back. There isnt even a bus service, it will rain all winter long and be dark at 3 PM. Maybe this is the whole point of choosing somewhere like this, as in if you dont like it go to Dublin airport and take a flight home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Its really unfair that a large number of economic migrants are to be relocated to Roscommon.

The rural areas are forgotten about until its time to send asylum seekers somewhere where the locals havent the nuumbers to mount opposition.

It would be much better if these people were located on RTES land at Donnybrook, the RTE staff could go to somewhere off the M50 and their vast offices could be converted into accommodation. There would definitely be room there for traveller families too.

The refugees/ migrants havent a hope of settling in Roscommon, even the local young women are getting out of these areas and not coming back. There isnt even a bus service, it will rain all winter long and be dark at 3 PM. Maybe this is the whole point of choosing somewhere like this, as in if you dont like it go to Dublin airport and take a flight home.

I hope they are prepared for boredom.
    I know Rooskey well, there's absolutely nothing in it, it's a midget village with no facilities other than a couple of pubs and a supermarket, this is a case of pushing a problem in to the middle of nowhere.

dav3 wrote:
    I'm not sure if certain people really want to start looking into 2nd preference votes. The Sinn Féin candidate Liadh Ní Riada received the most 2nd preference votes according to the exit poll.

She polled at less than 7 per cent. Despite the backing of the third largest party in the state she got beaten by a lad that came from 2 per cent up to 23 per cent.
    Terrible result for SF .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Lisdoonvarna was ignored in favour of some hotelier who agreed to take them in.

Next Septembers matchmaking Festival might be interesting.

Edward M wrote: »
    I hope they are prepared for boredom.
    I know Rooskey well, there's absolutely nothing in it, it's a midget village with no facilities other than a couple of pubs and a supermarket, this is a case of pushing a problem in to the middle of nowhere.

I live in the middle of nowhere and wouldn’t have it any other way. Its up to ourselves to make the most of our lot. Having said that, im not a pub goer or a party animal.

I live in the middle of nowhere and wouldn’t have it any other way. Its up to ourselves to make the most of our lot. Having said that, im not a pub goer or a party animal.

Me too really, I like a couple of pints mind.
    But I work and have something to do all the time. I'm in a couple of local clubs to too.
    I wouldn't like to be stuck in Rooskey with nothing to do myself.

The point isnt really to do with what there is to do, its with putting asylum seekers who lets face it no one really wants in isolated areas where the locals dont have much say in the matter.

The likes of Tubridy can then bore us all to tears talking about racism and people not being nice to each other while he waltzes down to a library in Dun Laoghaire that cost 34 million to build and Heaven knows how much to fit out. he probably has his children in private schools too so no fear of them sitting in classrooms beside children who have no english. There is no fear of his children sitting alongside travellers in classrooms either and who wants their children to be in school alongside people who brawl in the middle of the day in Galway.

The asylum seekers, not that I have much sympathy if they are economic migrants who entered the country illegally, would be far better off to be placed in accommodation in a city that would have lots of people with different ethnic backgrounds. How can they assimilate in society when there is nobody for miles around the same age as themselves and the people that are nearby are maybe clannish and cliquey

• Advertisement

They have to go somewhere I know.
    My point is that for any social outings, like say swimming, cinema, virtually any form of entertainment outside the hotel, they'll have to be brought to Longford or Carrick on Shannon.
    I don't know how much freedom they are allowed, but in Rooskey there's nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Edward M wrote: »
    They have to go somewhere I know.
    My point is that for any social outings, like say swimming, cinema, virtually any form of entertainment outside the hotel, they'll have to be brought to Longford or Carrick on Shannon.
    I don't know how much freedom they are allowed, but in Rooskey there's nothing.

Spot on. If I recall correctly there isn't any green space even in the hotel. A carpark at the rear of same.
    Roosky is grand if ye have a car or a boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

And allegedly Longford FG councillor James Keogh's sister, Christina Barry, is a director of the company who will apparently get the job should the refugees arrive in Roosky, according to locals and the Roscommon People.

FG's paws are never far from these sort of gigs.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Spot on. If I recall correctly there isn't any green space even in the hotel. A carpark at the rear of same.
    Roosky is grand if ye have a car or a boat.

Some lovely houses built on the outskirts in the last 20 years along the Shannon and a couple of small estates in the village.
    I'd say anyone who built or bought there is raging, bad enough the money lost after the collapse and probable negative equity.
    This will be about as much help to this village as a halting site, there will be fcuk all of a welcome for this move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

What happened to all the do-gooders that were going to give them rooms in there houses and give them houses or flats the were not using?
    Shower of muppets.Its okay to say open up the borders and welcome everyone in as long as there not beside me. Send them all down the west out of our sight.

I suppose it wil send a message to other people planning to come that they will end up in the middle of nowhere with limited broadband.

The streets won’t be paved with gold, they will be muddy three hundred days of the year and asylum seekers will be sitting in a grotty hotel all day everyday.

How much is this costing us, probably sixty to eighty million.

You outed yourself recently as a Sinn Fein voter.

Casey got more actual votes than Sinn Fein have ever done. More votes than PBP have ever done.

I guess you will agree with me that Sinn Fein and PBP are equally as irrelevant as you think Casey is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mikhail gorbachev2

you should have voted for casey when you had the chance
    but maybe he will be the next governor

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Can we stop this creative statistics nonsense as being spouted here.
    Either you quote the real result for all candidates or you quote results as percentage of all those eligible to vote but not a mix match where casey vote is referred to as 10 percent yet MDH at 53 percent.
    Anyone doing this is clearly on the wind up and in my opinion should not be allowed to continue to post such nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mikhail gorbachev2

mickdw wrote: »
    Can we stop this creative statistics nonsense as being spouted here.
    Either you quote the real result for all candidates or you quote results as percentage of all those eligible to vote but not a mix match where casey vote is referred to as 10 percent yet MDH at 53 percent.
    Anyone doing this is clearly on the wind up and in my opinion should not be allowed to continue to post such nonsense.

only 9.9% voted for casey

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement