Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

So a leftist person is a liberal retard? yes, problem?

What's your take on conservative liberalism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It wouldn't surprise me if quite a few Gardai were Casey voters.

My son and several of my family members are guards, their vote wouldn't surprise you so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I see the Gardai are also slightly doubtful of the travelling communities capacity to keep the peace.....

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/gardai-object-to-application-by-members-of-travelling-community-to-operate-limerick-pub-37504211.html

The extended Kealy family regularly come up in court reports

Two cousins jailed over forged cheque
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/two-cousins-jailed-over-forged-cheque-436102.html

Eight parents face jail for child truancy
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/garda-object-to-firm-run-by-traveller-patriarch-getting-licence-for-pub-37505029.html

Last October, Michael Kealy of Abbeylands, Askeaton, was arrested by gardai in Kilkenny after British police sought his extradition in connection with the theft of a €200,000 rhino horn. It is alleged he was involved in the robbery of the rhino horn from an antiques dealer in Nottingham.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-held-over-theft-of-rhino-horns-in-austria-29022916.html

Not sure that a number of families had "shaken hands" is really going hold long term

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/garda-object-to-firm-run-by-traveller-patriarch-getting-licence-for-pub-37505029.html

My dad was brought to Sligo emergency dept on Friday evening via ambulance. I followed in my car and so went into the hospital via the main doors. This is the entrance the majority of patients would use if they are going to emergency dept as the ambulance has its own entrance. When you go in the main entrance you then turn right through a set of double doors that are open wide and you’re in the ED. On Friday evening these doors were closed and you had to walk to the next right turning which brings you to elevator area, go through a set of double doors again (they were open), turn right and go through another set of double doors (there’s a switch on wall to open them). You’re now in the ED.

Unfortunately, I have had to bring my dad to Sligo hospital many times over the last few years and the only time that the doors to the ED are closed is when there are travellers in there. Friday was no different and there were 3 adults in the waiting area.

I’ve always wondered what actually happened for a large hospital to take these control measures. Why would they do this if everything is fine and dandy within the traveling community? Has anyone noticed this in other hospitals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

mattser wrote: »
    Just in from work. Can't believe mods haven't called these wasters down, and closed the thread.

Have you nothing better to do the minute you arrive in from work that check a thread that doesnt interest you, go read a book or clean the bathroom and let other people communicate on this thread.

I see the travellers are applying for a licence to open a pub in Rathkeale, I hsve heard they are also asking locsl homeowners to sell their houses to them.

The Gardai are in court objecting to the licence. Hope for the townspeoples sake it is turned down.

Wouldnt it be great if the travellers set up a creche so the women could avail of training opportunities, that would benefit this community much more than drinking more alcohol. They seem to have plenty of money, pity its racist to ask any questions about them.

Tubridy soends half his show reading out inconsequential stuff from the Indo to fill in his sixy minutes a day, maybe he could discuss the application to open the pub and also talk about the huge houses owned by travellers in Rathkeale( and the huge vote Casey got in the town). It would be interesting to hear from the local people, the non travelling ones about their lives, it would make a change from listening to travellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

with the help of god peter will crush leo

Crush Leo? The man can't count and thinks he can run an election in more than one constituency. LOL.

A tale of two communities in Rathkeale: ‘We live in the same space but different worlds’

The settled people of Rathkeale often wish the town’s Travellers would disappear – and the feeling seems to be mutual

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/a-tale-of-two-communities-in-rathkeale-we-live-in-the-same-space-but-different-worlds-1.1863276

That's an interesting article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Seems like the Irish Times has plucked up enough courage to start asking questions such as how a community with an 80 percent unemployment rate can afford to be making substantial property investments in and around Rathkeale.

Another victory for Casey. Asking such questions was taboo before 23 percent of voters came out in support of him.

TBF that is an old article but still interesting

Another victory for Casey. Asking such questions was taboo before 23 percent of voters came out in support of him.

Ah come on it was only 10 per cent something ....something .....hate speech etc etc.

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    TBF that is an old article but still interesting

Didn't notice the date!

Still interesting...
    Up around what locals call “the hill”, where the Travellers have long lived, there is a particular aesthetic. Properties have big gates, pillars around the porch and statues of Padre Pio and Mary in little garden grottos. Some of these houses are huge, because some Rathkeale Travellers are wealthy. “Dublin 4 couldn’t match the instances of home ownership without mortgages you’d find here,” says Breen, who works closely with the Pre-social Cohesion Committee.

While Breen acts as a tireless advocate for the many poorer Travellers who fall between the cracks of the welfare system, he has also offered educational schemes to wealthier Travellers he is friendly with.

“They just look at my old car and laugh.”

Wealthy travellers with their palatial houses and flashy cars ... and yet 80 percent of Travellers are claiming unemployment benefits.

The article is soft focussed or else something has happened in Rathkeale since it was written.

Rathkeale had one of the highest numbers of people supporting Peter Casey and there must be a good reason for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Seems like the Irish Times has plucked up enough courage to start asking questions such as how a community with an 80 percent unemployment rate can afford to be making substantial property investments in and around Rathkeale.

Has to be said that that post is a bit embarrassing for you and for all that liked it.

Check the date before a hero you make! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Has to be said that that post is a bit embarrassing for you and for all that liked it.

Check the date before a hero you make! :):)

Yeah, because I'm sure life there has drastically changed since the article was written. :rolleyes: More sweet, sweet irony from you Francie.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Yeah, because I'm sure life there has drastically changed since the article was written. :rolleyes: More sweet, sweet irony from you Francie.

Nothing ironic, haven't you heard, Casey time travelled back to 2016 to remove these 'taboos' from the meedja! :):)

Priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Nothing ironic, haven't you heard, Casey time travelled back to 2016 to remove these 'taboos' from the meedja! :):)

Priceless.

:confused: Bit early for the sauce isn't it?

Not remotely as embarrassing as much of the stuff you've come out with in this thread!

Not remotely as embarrassing as much of the stuff you've come out with in this thread!

Just as easy to admit you made a mistake and move on.

It is embarrassing to the argument that the media have been silent on these issues. As I have said a few times, that is not true. Both rural crime and traveller issues, good and bad have been featured.

I already acknowledged that I didn't notice the date on the article. So what's your issue?

It is embarrassing to the argument that the media have been silent on these issues. As I have said a few times, that is not true. Both rural crime and traveller issues, good and bad have been featured.

Im not sure whether the media have adequately covered issues with travellers, as far as I can see in crimes with insurance and burglary etc the media refrain from describing the culprits as travellers, this seems to be an agreed strategy with all forms of media.

In the rare cases too where parents are prosecuted for not sending their children to school its pretty apparent these are children of the ethnic minority but this isnt clarified either. And, no,the parents are not homeschooling the children.

The media apart from a couple of articles and Tubridys disgraceful carry on on the Late Late show have not adequately covered why so many people voted for Peter Casey. In the radio discussions the presenters have said most of the texts and emails received supported Peter Casey so surely a proper in depth up to date study has to be done now so the Government are clear on what exactly the problems are.

Fianna Fails debate of the issue was a start but again PC nonsense must be left at the door so politicans can discuss what voters are saying in private, you may be sure Micheal Martin and other Fianna Fail big shots have received lots of emails about Peter Casey and the importance of what he said, this is why they convened a special meeting so local politicans could have their say.

• Advertisement

tretorn wrote: »
    The media apart from a couple of articles and Tubridys disgraceful carry on on the Late Late show have not adequately covered why so many people voted for Peter Casey.

Even the Taoiseach himself, back in the days when he was willing to air opinions that differed from progressive orthodoxy, observed that RTÉ's coverage is heavily biased towards left-wing views. That remains even more true now that Travellers have been recognized as an ethnic group. If you dare dissent from the standard view that Travellers are a persecuted minority whose numerous problems are caused entirely by the settled community's racism and discrimination, you will be royally demonized by the progressive left-wing media establishment. The media will happily play up any story that represents Travellers as victims of the settled community -- "Teachers' racism towards Traveller pupils must be addressed" blared the Irish Times on October 10th -- while downplaying the epidemic of crime and theft that settled people in rural Ireland routinely experience at the hands of Travellers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Even the Taoiseach himself, back in the days when he was willing to air opinions that differed from progressive orthodoxy, observed that RTÉ's coverage is heavily biased towards left-wing views. That remains even more true now that Travellers have been recognized as an ethnic group. If you dare dissent from the standard view that Travellers are a persecuted minority whose numerous problems are caused entirely by the settled community's racism and discrimination, you will be royally demonized by the progressive left-wing media establishment. The media will happily play up any story that represents Travellers as victims of the settled community -- "Teachers' racism towards Traveller pupils must be addressed" blared the Irish Times on October 10th -- while downplaying the epidemic of crime and theft that settled people in rural Ireland routinely experience at the hands of Travellers.

Completely agree 100% there.

I should declare a slight axe to grind here as the father's nan was Jewish and what those poor bastards have endured is abhorrent.

It grinds my gears the way "racism" is thrown around so casually to describe actions and words that are nothing of the kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Why does the term racism get stupidly used.

Prejudice fair enough (it doesn't come from the wind though) but how the heck is it racism?

Simple explanation , to shut down conversation.

Prejudice fair enough (it doesn't come from the wind though) but how the heck is it racism?

As soon as you have been officially recognized as an ethnic minority, you can play the race card whenever anybody criticizes you. That's the real problem with Kenny's statement of March 2017. It made Travellers untouchable -- because now they have the entire progressive left rallying to their defense whenever they are criticized in the slightest. It also turbo-charged the entitlement mentality. We now have people saying with a straight face that Travellers' social housing should come with an acre of land and stables because we have to "respect their traditions."

As soon as you have been officially recognized as an ethnic minority, you can play the race card whenever anybody criticizes you. That's the real problem with Kenny's statement of March 2017. It made Travellers untouchable -- because now they have the entire progressive left rallying to their defense whenever they are criticized in the slightest. It also turbo-charged the entitlement mentality. We now have people saying with a straight face that Travellers' social housing should come with an acre of land and stables because we have to "respect their traditions."

There is a definition under the UN that makes what Casey did 'racially discriminatory' if not the bolted down definition of racism.

Any group or community can use that card if someone like Casey makes generalisations about them or spreads mis-information in order to incite hate.

Again, if you want to see the hate he incited, just review this thread alone.

I'll remind you again, the Travellers in Tipp did NOT get what they asked for.
    If you want to open a discussion on groups in Irish society from the public service through every workforce and social groups who 'look' for entitlements, fire away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

There is a definition under the UN that makes what Casey did 'racially discriminatory' if not the bolted down definition of racism.

Any group or community can use that card if someone like Casey makes generalisations about them or spreads mis-information in order to incite hate.

Again, if you want to see the hate he incited, just review this thread alone.

I'll remind you again, the Travellers in Tipp did NOT get what they asked for.
    If you want to open a discussion on groups in Irish society from the public service through every workforce and social groups who 'look' for entitlements, fire away.

Here's a list of the members of the un, a fine body to be quoting as a reference to the ideal society.
    When a lock of them straighten out their own issues they can start to dictate to us on ours.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_United_Nations

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Simple explanation , to shut down conversation.

Bang on.

It's backfiring spectacularly at the minute though because when stupid things like pasta recipes are used as "racist incidents" the agenda is seen for what it is.

There used to be such a fear of being thought of as racist and I would hate for anyone to genuinely think I held bigoted views but the pendulum has swung towards the stupid.

Idris Elba was voted Sexiest Man Alive recently, and I disagreed - came back the response "that's a bit racist". No it's not cos he's black it's cos he's not fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Idris Elba was voted Sexiest Man Alive recently, and I disagreed - came back the response "that's a bit racist". No it's not cos he's black it's cos he's not fit!

Used to be Stringer Bell, now he annoys us with stupid Sky ads. Talk about going downhill.

Was thinking last night, not a habit I intend to proceed with, what percentage of people on Boards are travellers? There must be some. How are they feeling about these threads and why keep quiet on them? Or at least not say they are travellers.

• Advertisement

A dangerous precedent has been set - Travellers are effectively given carte blanche to prowl the countryside, knowing full well they can trot out the 'racism' reliable if pulled up on criminal activity. It's a deeply contemptible state of affairs, can envisage a vigilante movement on the rise should these ludicrous protections continue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement