Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Dare I say it but multi-national job losses would result in laid off workers returning to their countries for which they have their citizenship.

Even if that were true the blast radius would be massive, many small third parties exist to service those multi-nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,007 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Dare I say it but multi-national job losses would result in laid off workers returning to their countries for which they have their citizenship.

What percentage of the working population do you reckon are employed at MNCs and do you think Google are going to be the first to suffer if a recession hits? Did your theory hold up in 2010 etc? I really don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

So, all the foreign workers would return home, which would free up all those apartments for rent and those houses they were buying, which will increase supply. And then they wouldn't be spending all the money they were spending, so all the third party service providers will lay off people too, so that will dampen down demand for good and services.

Except now, with a volatile employment market, none of the banks will give out mortgages. So no one will be able to afford these cheaper houses.

And with all the people out of work, and lesser tax returns, your tax liability will go up. And your employer will see this as a chance to cut your salary or refuse to give you a bonus. So you wouldn't be able to afford a mortgage, or to rent a nicer apartment.

Fabulous plan. I'll keep the Brazilians/Poles/Italians/Nigerians thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Because everyone employed in a multinational is from another country? I work in a massive multinational and I'd estimate that at least 90 % of the staff are native Irish.
    Well I know people in Google, Facebook and Smartbox and this is what they have told me so of course it is not entirely accurate to generalise but nonetheless these companies are quite pick and I would assume a decent sample to make a statement that a lot of tech multinationals are very much majority staffed by non-Irish.
    JDD wrote: »
    So, all the foreign workers would return home, which would free up all those apartments for rent and those houses they were buying, which will increase supply. And then they wouldn't be spending all the money they were spending, so all the third party service providers will lay off people too, so that will dampen down demand for good and services.

Except now, with a volatile employment market, none of the banks will give out mortgages. So no one will be able to afford these cheaper houses.

And with all the people out of work, and lesser tax returns, your tax liability will go up. And your employer will see this as a chance to cut your salary or refuse to give you a bonus. So you wouldn't be able to afford a mortgage, or to rent a nicer apartment.

We are not in a strong econimic position right now, the economy is at breaking point with the housing crisis and cost of utilities destroying salaries for workers. It is not sustainable for net salaries to get lower each year (and that includes paltry tax cuts). A correction is required to put the brakes on the unsustainable hammering of workers which is happening in Ireland.
    Because everyone employed in a multinational is from another country? I work in a massive multinational and I'd estimate that at least 90 % of the staff are native Irish.
    Well I know people in Google, Facebook and Smartbox and this is what they have told me so of course it is not entirely accurate to generalise but nonetheless these companies are quite pick and I would assume a decent sample to make a statement that a lot of tech multinationals are very much majority staffed by non-Irish.

We are not in a strong econimic position right now, the economy is at breaking point with the housing crisis and cost of utilities destroying salaries for workers. It is not sustainable for net salaries to get lower each year (and that includes paltry tax cuts). A correction is required to put the brakes on the unsustainable hammering of workers which is happening in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Apologies for the strange way those posts appeared - the boards website is struggling to function the past week on mobiles.

• Advertisement

Apologies for the strange way those posts appeared - the boards website is struggling to function the past week on mobiles.

Oddly formatted posts are the least of your problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭Villa05

I can see where the desire for a recession is coming from. For many working people there quality of life improved as costs reduced significantly during the last recession most notably rent, fuel and energy eating out etc

The problem with Ireland is that any economic recovery benefits very few people. The gains are eaten up by protected sectors and higher costs passed on to the general public

The result being that economic recovery is negative for a growing significant portion of the Irish public. Mainly working, renting, commuters

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Villa05 wrote: »
    I can see where the desire for a recession is coming from. For many working people there quality of life improved as costs reduced significantly during the last recession most notably rent, fuel and energy eating out etc

That's the thing. If you still had a good job, then yes, cost of living went down.
    If you lost your job, or couldn't get a job, or were stuck in a crappy job, it didn't matter that the cost of living was lower because your income was also lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

It is a fair point about the large tech multinationals employing mostly non-Irish people. I believe Google has less than 15% Irish. Most of the jobs are localisation, marketing and sales related and they require teams for each European language.
    I think these companies are having a big impact on house prices indirectly.
    They pay so little corporation tax, that they can afford to pay staff extra. These staff are mostly here temporarily, 5 years max. Very few intend to settle in Ireland for good. So they will rent for the full period of time they are here.
    Their higher wages mean they can afford the extortionate rents in Dublin.
    I'm not blaming 'de fordiners', and I am generalising, but all of the above is true.

Higher rents for everyone means more people want to get out of renting and into buying. More demand for buying for the static low supply = higher prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭Villa05

RayCun wrote:
    That's the thing. If you still had a good job, then yes, cost of living went down. If you lost your job, or couldn't get a job, or were stuck in a crappy job, it didn't matter that the cost of living was lower because your income was also lower.

Most of the jobs that were lost in the last recession were probably going anyway,
    Bloated construction sector
    Legacy multinationals in manufacturing
    Bloated public service

• Advertisement

Most of the jobs that were lost in the last recession were probably going anyway,
    Bloated construction sector
    Legacy multinationals in manufacturing
    Bloated public service

That's just nonsense.

Say 100 people lose their jobs in the construction sector.

That's 100 people who are now on the dole, rather than paying income tax. Which means less money to spend on education, health, transport.

100 people who are spending less on groceries, in the pub, in the bookies, in the chemist, in the barbers, in the cinema, on their cars, on clothes.
    That means shops closing, other businesses cutting back, and a ripple effect that continues through the economy.

RayCun wrote: »
    That's just nonsense.

Say 100 people lose their jobs in the construction sector.

That's 100 people who are now on the dole, rather than paying income tax. Which means less money to spend on education, health, transport.

100 people who are spending less on groceries, in the pub, in the bookies, in the chemist, in the barbers, in the cinema, on their cars, on clothes.
    That means shops closing, other businesses cutting back, and a ripple effect that continues through the economy.
    Indeed, but for those who don't lose their job, it also means lower house prices, lower rent, lower hotels prices. Less gouging by businesses in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Bloated public service

Did the Government lay off public servants? If so, they didn't do enough of it.

Indeed, but for those who don't lose their job, it also means lower house prices, lower rent, lower hotels prices. Less gouging by businesses in general.

'Gouging' when someone else does it.
    'Unfortunately forced to raise prices to deal with higher costs' when you do it.

And yeah, as I said above, if you have a secure, well-paying job (or other fixed income) then you'll be better off when the cost of living falls. The country in general, not so much.

Ah yeah that's grand. God be with the days of a few hundred thousand extra people being jobless so we can save a few bob on a hotel.

'Gouging' when someone else does it.
    'Unfortunately forced to raise prices to deal with higher costs' when you do it.

And yeah, as I said above, if you have a secure, well-paying job (or other fixed income) then you'll be better off when the cost of living falls. The country in general, not so much.
    Have you seen the latest hotel prices in thie country? You won't get a room in a kippy town at the weekend for less than €150. Dublin is different level again. That is definite gouging.

Ah yeah that's grand. God be with the days of a few hundred thousand extra people being jobless so we can save a few bob on a hotel.
    It's not just hotels. It's rent (you could haggle a 1bed down in Dublin to €900 in 2011). It's also energy bills, insurance. Everything has been going up astronomically in the so called boom we are experiencing.

Have you seen the latest hotel prices in thie country? You won't get a room in a kippy town at the weekend for less than €150. Dublin is different level again. That is definite gouging.

I don't know what business you're in, but do you make a habit of charging below the market price for what you sell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

It's not just hotels. It's rent (you could haggle a 1bed down in Dublin to €900 in 2011). It's also energy bills, insurance. Everything has been going up astronomically in the so called boom we are experiencing.

So get a better job. If the country is booming it should be easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I think we can all agree that average wages need to increase at or above the level of inflation, otherwise we have a disproportionate benefit of the boom going to a narrow section of society. However, another recession is certainly the wrong way to go about it.

• Advertisement

So get a better job. If the country is booming it should be easy
    I'm personally grand. But wages are static and prices on everything are going in one direction only. Add more indirect taxation and childcare costs to the mix too.

Rent is high because there are a lot of people who want to rent in Dublin.
    There are a lot of people who want to rent in Dublin because there are a lot of people working in Dublin.
    Same for many other goods. Prices are high because demand is high because people have money because people are working. Prices are also high because the cost of other things has gone up and they feed into the price.
    Lots of people working = a boom
    I don't know what "so called boom" you're talking about.

(And no, this isn't an unalloyed good thing. More accommodation needs to be built, public transport needs to improve so people can work in the city while living further away, lots of things could be improved)

I'm personally grand. But wages are static and prices on everything are going in one direction only. Add more indirect taxation and childcare costs to the mix too.

What's your source for wages being static?

Edit - and that stuff below about jobs added to the economy being low quality or temporary.

Rent is high because there are a lot of people who want to rent in Dublin.
    There are a lot of people who want to rent in Dublin because there are a lot of people working in Dublin.
    Same for many other goods. Prices are high because demand is high because people have money because people are working. Prices are also high because the cost of other things has gone up and they feed into the price.
    Lots of people working = a boom
    I don't know what "so called boom" you're talking about.

(And no, this isn't an unalloyed good thing. More accommodation needs to be built, public transport needs to improve so people can work in the city while living further away, lots of things could be improved)
    Indeed I know the basic reasons. When I say 'so called boom', I mean very few are seeing any real positive gains from it.
    Employment may be higher but there is a fair amount of government spin and the jobs are often lower quality or temporary insecure jobs.

The only secure jobs in a recession are in the public service, and that just means you won't lose your job, but your salary is certainly subject to a pay cut in a recession. Not everyone has a public service job.

Every other sector, be it lawyers, doctors, people in financial services, hairdressers, hospitality, IT, manufacturing, construction, everybody's job is at risk. The knock on mental health effects of losing your job is phenomenal. I actually find someone wishing for a recession as offensive, just so they can have a reasonably priced weekend away or rent an apartment closer to town. You can be sure they kept their job over the past ten years.

I also find it suspicious that they first thing they think of is that the fordiners will go home.

Having said that, the fact that the cost of living is too high as compared to wages is a problem, for sure. And raising wages isn't the solution. We need to look at what the big ticket items are that people have no choice but to pay for i.e. rent, mortgage, childcare and try and get those prices down. That means upping supply as you can't decrease demand. Make inroads into the big ticket items and people will have more money in their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

You're thinking that every recession is on the level of 2008. 2008 was a once in a generation event.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The only secure jobs in a recession are in the public service, and that just means you won't lose your job, but your salary is certainly subject to a pay cut in a recession. Not everyone has a public service job.

Every other sector, be it lawyers, doctors, people in financial services, hairdressers, hospitality, IT, manufacturing, construction, everybody's job is at risk. The knock on mental health effects of losing your job is phenomenal. I actually find someone wishing for a recession as offensive, just so they can have a reasonably priced weekend away or rent an apartment closer to town. You can be sure they kept their job over the past ten years.

I also find it suspicious that they first thing they think of is that the fordiners will go home.

Having said that, the fact that the cost of living is too high as compared to wages is a problem, for sure. And raising wages isn't the solution. We need to look at what the big ticket items are that people have no choice but to pay for i.e. rent, mortgage, childcare and try and get those prices down. That means upping supply as you can't decrease demand. Make inroads into the big ticket items and people will have more money in their pockets.

Even in the great recession we had 86 out of every 100 people working. That's a lot of people.

Even in the great recession we had 86 out of every 100 people working. That's a lot of people.

14% unemployment only means 14% on the dole at any one time. How many people got laid off and had to take a lower paying job? Or a job that was farther away from their families? How many emigrated? What is the percentage of people who were out of work at any stage between 2007 and 2015? Higher than 14% I'd wager.

The answer isn't a recession.

The answer is moving quickly to prevent sectors of the market becoming overheated. As far as I can see, the only public organisation that have done anything to try and make inroads into that was the Central Bank, and that was against the wishes of the government.

The answer is, unfortunately, government intervention into the private sector. There is literally no other way to avoid the constant boom bust cycle.

• Advertisement

Pussyhands wrote: »

The 100 people isn't static. If people retire early, stay in school longer, are out of work with disability, are supported by spouses etc, they aren't counted as part of the workforce. They aren't among the 14 people signing on. But when jobs are available they go out to work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement