Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gladiator 2

• 02-11-2018 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

....apparently

Ridley Scott is working on GLADIATOR 2!
    ....Ridley Scott, director of the original and numerous other classic films, stating that he is actively working on bringing GLADIATOR 2 to life with the help of screenwriter Peter Craig (THE TOWN) according to a report from Deadline.

The story will apparently focus on Lucius, the young boy from the first film, as an adult. At this time there are no other plot details.

more

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Awww, I'm disappointed that it won't be that infamous Nick Cave version; that sounded brilliantly demented.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20180810-gladiator-2-was-written-and-its-mad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Scott obviously hasn't learnt from his alien sequels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Please don't... absolutely zero imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Are we not entertained?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

7CYktU3.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

This is bad..........like real bad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hrmm.. Gladiator always felt liked a wrapped up story to me.

Went looking for the end song, this has a recap of the full film with it:

also.. the feels.. or at least.. a memory of the feels from the first time I watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,965 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Who was Lucius father, Commodus or Maximus?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Neither. His father is only briefly mentioned as having died.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,965 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Neither. His father is only briefly mentioned as having died.

I thought Lucilla maybe wanted or implied it to be Maximus and always thought Commodus had an unhealthy interest in his sister

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

He should have left it alone,the movie ended perfectly.
    I doubt Crowe will have anything to do with it.

Gamb!t wrote: »
    He should have left it alone,the movie ended perfectly.
    I doubt Crowe will have anything to do with it.

Well...
    he's dead

:pac:

This isn't a remake of a remake of a remake. No reason in my view to be skeptical at all. Time for another film like Gladiator. We need blockbusters again that aren't written for children.

nix wrote: »
    Well...
    he's dead

:pac:
    Old article from last year.
    https://www.slashfilm.com/gladiator-sequel/

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Hes still dead
    :P

And
    resurrecting
    him would be ****ing terrible and would completely ruin the impact of the entire first film.

nix wrote: »
    Hes still dead
    :P

And
    resurrecting
    him would be ****ing terrible and would completely ruin the impact of the entire first film.
    Exactly.
    It would be ridiculous to bring him back,not to mind make a sequel of this movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭xper

If they are looking at a second film at all, I'm surprised that it would not be a prequel - lots of emotional history between the main protagonists, Maximus's rise from Spanish farmer to be Rome's greatest general (lots of set piece battle opportunities), his replacement of Commodus as a 'son' in the eyes of the emperor, some sort of fling with Lucilla that didn't end well. It doesn't have to be about gladiators. New younger cast required of course. It would also have to overcome the rather awkward fact/plot hole established in Gladiator that he had never been to Rome but yet had an established history with the emperor's family.

But most of all, I just wish a great film maker like Scott would not keep returning to go over old ground with so little return. He's 80 now so we probably won't get many more hits from him (he does have a ridiculous number of projects in the works on IMDB) but when he takes on solid, fresh material like The Martian he can clearly still knock it out of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Tbh that Nick Cave version sounds amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The Nick Cave script is more a script for a God of War movie than Gladiator

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Every day we stray further from God

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I liked Gladiator a lot but a sequel would be silly. There are some movies that just don't need a sequel and I would consider Gladiator one of them. I think they said everything that needed to be said with the last movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I liked Gladiator a lot but a sequel would be silly. There are some movies that just don't need a sequel and I would consider Gladiator one of them. I think they said everything that needed to be said with the last movie.

Problem is were talking about Hollywood, they never think this way and would rather someone come up with a flimsy story around Maximus early years rather than come up with an original story set in Rome. I'm starting to feel like Hollywood will never mace a film with swords better than Gladiator or Braveheart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Riddle101 wrote: »

Problem is were talking about Hollywood, they never think this way and would rather someone come up with a flimsy story around Maximus early years rather than come up with an original story set in Rome. I'm starting to feel like Hollywood will never mace a film with swords better than Gladiator or Braveheart

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

As a fan of most of Ridley Scott's work it pains me to say it but the man is no longer fit to be creating any further prequels / sequels of his own movies.

Prometheus was like a kick in the gut. Alien covenant was then like getting stomped in the nuts.

No more. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

xper wrote: »
    But most of all, I just wish a great film maker like Scott would not keep returning to go over old ground with so little return. He's 80 now so we probably won't get many more hits from him (he does have a ridiculous number of projects in the works on IMDB) but when he takes on solid, fresh material like The Martian he can clearly still knock it out of the park.
    He's always been reliant on being lucky with the screenwriter and the story. This is what's so galling to see him doing sequels of films that don't need sequels. The odds are just against a great script coming out of that process.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Lucius Verus in real life. He was co ruler with Marcus Aurelius until he died.

But, anything goes in these films, which play fast and loose with history, sometimes bizarrely so.

This isn't a remake of a remake of a remake. No reason in my view to be skeptical at all. Time for another film like Gladiator. We need blockbusters again that aren't written for children.

If it's done right, it could be good and I like the original film, with some reservations.

But Scott has had a bad run of things trying to revive his past glories. He's absolutely wrecked Alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Going by his recent Alien films, this will be just an exercise in cashing in on the Gladiator name. Scott is all about the visuals and nothing else. Without a very strong team of writers, he's not really at the races as a director. Gladiator itself was very nearly a cheap forgettable revenge film, but for the people they conscripted in last minute to put some soul into it. I don't think Scott has any worries about making a sub par film as long as it has the CGI in spades.

I'm all for another spate of historical epics like we saw in the early 2000s, anything to give us respite from all these fúcking superhero movies. But they really can't square the circle of doing another Gladiator film without Crowe. It would be like a Rocky film without Stallone. Luckily for Stallone he didn't die in Rocky 1!

Agricola wrote: »
    I'm all for another spate of historical epics like we saw in the early 2000s, anything to give us respite from all these fúcking superhero movies.

In fairness, most of them were awful. The likes of 'Troy' or 'Alexander' were completely missed opportunities. But, I'm surprised nobody's ever made a film about Scipio Africanus and the second Punic war, culminating in the battle of Zama against Hannibal and the Carthaginians. There's a story right there and you don't even have to make it up.

But, yeh. Don't even bother downloading the superhero films now.
    Agricola wrote: »
    But they really can't square the circle of doing another Gladiator film without Crowe. It would be like a Rocky film without Stallone. Luckily for Stallone he didn't die in Rocky 1!

But, there were hundreds of thousands of gladiators.

There was only one Rocky. :pac:

Who should have died at the end of 'Rocky II' so we would have been spared all of those terrible, terrible sequels.

As far as I'm concerned, Rocky retired after he took the title from Apollo and never looked back. :D

Seriously though 'Rocky' is called Rocky because it's about Rocky. 'Gladiator' is called that because it's about a gladiator. So, 'Gladiator II' could be about another gladiator. In any case, they'll probably make a balls of it, so it all won't matter anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Tony EH wrote: »
    In fairness, most of them were awful. The likes of 'Troy' or 'Alexander' were completely missed opportunities. But, I'm surprised nobody's ever made a film about Scipio Africanus and the second Punic war, culminating in the battle of Zama against Hannibal and the Carthaginians. There's a story right there and you don't even have to make it up.

But, yeh. Don't even bother downloading the superhero films now.

But, there were hundreds of thousands of gladiators.

There was only one Rocky. :pac:

Who should have died at the end of 'Rocky II' so we would have been spared all of those terrible, terrible sequels.

As far as I'm concerned, Rocky retired after he took the title from Apollo and never looked back. :D

Seriously though 'Rocky' is called Rocky because it's about Rocky. 'Gladiator' is called that because it's about a gladiator. So, 'Gladiator II' could be about another gladiator. In any case, they'll probably make a balls of it, so it all won't matter anyway.

Agree with ya about Scipio. I remember having to do an essay in college on leadership and I researched him. Great story and would'nt need much dramatizing to bring to the screen. I'm always dubious about biopics though. I still think a completely free reign with a fictional character would be the way to go here.

I realize there were thousands of gladiators, but my point is continuing the Maximus story just can't work. Certainly they could make a film set in ancient Rome and reference "Gladiator" but i don't see how it can be much more than that. And saying "lets just make another film about fights in the colosseum" completely misses the point. That's what I reckon WILL happen and it will just tarnish the first movie. Gladiator was a great blockbuster with plenty of amazing action and spectacle but it had a fantastic premise and was really tightly written, expertly paced. No fat on it whatsoever. If they want another film which will live up to it, they need to come up with a really great plot.

Advertisement