Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I'm looking for some help in interpreting the name of this ship please. The background to the name is that I think it's the last Swedish ship that my Great Grandfather from Gothenburg sailed on before he stayed on as a sailor in Dublin.
    This is the crew list from what I think is his first Dublin ship the 'Coronella' in July 1878. Sailors had to name their previous ship in the crew list and it looks like 'Wuncanter' but it's open to suggestions, thanks.

45189609_279505356010022_8557156187575943168_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=e6ee9ef87390820c6faca01d5d9ddf7b&oe=5C793DBD

45254705_2123667014351793_862505806145257472_n.png?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=306fe43fc22525ff1c55dad63e2d4a7c&oe=5C3E795F.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If this page is online, can you put a link to it please? I can't zoom in on the full page.

I don't think the final letter is an R - could be a D. The 4th letter could be an L too.

Problem here is that we've got different handwriting on each line.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cl/007604294_00712.pdf

The link below is possibly my Greatgrandfather too, entry 31 on page 3.
    It's still difficult to figure out his birthplace and previous ship.
    http://census.nationalarchives.ie/search/cl/details.jsp?id=IRE/CREWLISTS/00017341

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Hi,
    Looking for cause of death for Mary on Record # 366, "? of face, ??". Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

vektarman wrote: »

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/search/cl/details.jsp?id=IRE/CREWLISTS/00017341

It looks like Stavgan - possibly an Irish version of Stavanger?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

montgo wrote: »
    Hi,

First cause looks like ending in '.....oma' and the second is possibly 'cachexia' (a wasting disease often associated with cancer)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

montgo wrote: »
    Hi,

Epithelioma of face.
    No idea on the second bit, but it appears to be the same thing as written in the first entry on the page as well as the entry immediately above Mary's.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could it be an abbreviated "Certified"?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Cyrus T Buford

MARRIAGE NUMBER 142

I can't make out the 2nd witness' first name (witness for the bride).
    It looks like Bily O'Driscoll, but would there not always be one male and one female witness (the witness for the bride being usually a woman?!)

It seems to most definitely end in "ly" in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

MARRIAGE NUMBER 142

I can't make out the 2nd witness' first name (witness for the bride).
    It looks like Bily O'Driscoll, but would there not always be one male and one female witness (the witness for the bride being usually a woman?!)

It seems to most definitely end in "ly" in my opinion!

Could be Elly or Eily, perhaps even Caty.

Witnesses do not have to be one of each gender. In modern times that is the norm, but two hundred years ago in church records it was quite common to have two men, rarely two women. Sometimes there were two men and one woman, the latter would be the bridesmaid, while the two men were expected to give testimony should the marriage end up in the ecclesiastical courts. I have seen three men only on a few records, and once three women only.

Nonetheless this is irrelevant to the civil registration of a marriage in 1924, my guess is that it is a woman, but the writing is not great.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that info.
    Its very hard to make it out!

I have considered Elly, but im just not seeing it!!!!! However, it could be Caty alright!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Betty O'Driscoll?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

spurious wrote: »
    Epithelioma of face.
    No idea on the second bit, but it appears to be the same thing as written in the first entry on the page as well as the entry immediately above Mary's.

Many thanks for that. Had to google it, looks nasty!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks for that info.
    Its very hard to make it out!

I have considered Elly, but im just not seeing it!!!!! However, it could be Caty alright!

Not definite, I know, but thinking laterally for a bit...
    Given that most witnesses in 1934 would have been alive in 1911, a little trawl through Dunmanway census records shows a couple of Lily O'Driscolls.
    They would have been in their 30s or 40s by 1934. Was Bridget an older bride?

spurious wrote: »
    Not definite, I know, but thinking laterally for a bit...
    Given that most witnesses in 1934 would have been alive in 1911, a little trawl through Dunmanway census records shows a couple of Lily O'Driscolls.
    They would have been in their 30s or 40s by 1934. Was Bridget an older bride?

Good Idea ! I might have a look at the specific townland neighbours of the bride!
    She was actually quite a young bride. Married at 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tombom1

Hello,
    Can anyone tell me what the abbreviation or title after Healy in this tithe applotment record it's also mentioned after mcloughlin aswell.
    Also the first name is missing but I'm pretty sure it's not "hlo".

http ://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.
    ie/reels/tab//004625702/004625702_00122.pdf

You need to remove the spaces in the link as it won't let me post it for some reason.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Here's your link - you can't post them because you're a new user. :)

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625702/004625702_00122.pdf

I think it's " & Co"

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

This is a death cert I got today, so there's no other entries to aid identification.

The cause of death is the first problem here. It appears to be 'Fence' 17 days certified. Informant is N Newsome, Chief Resident Officer ____ Workhouse

I'm presuming rank or profession reads Labourer.

All help appreciated

Celbridge is the workhouse. Definitely labourer.

It does look like fence...but they do not generally cause death.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

DamoRed wrote: »
    The cause of death is the first problem here. It appears to be 'Fence' 17 days certified.

Would it be fever 17 days?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Fever, it is. Plain as day when pointed out. Thanks, Hermy and Pinky

Celbridge Workhouse?

I agree with labourer.

EDIT: Didn't see there was a whole other page of posts, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

vektarman wrote: »

I wonder if the name of the ship in the second link might be something like Raven Slm, with the latter being an abbreviation for Stockholm. If an Irish person filled it out, there may be a spelling discrepancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Looking for help deciphering my GG Grandfather's death cert. James Evans died 1882. I think the occupation says Hatter and his age was 45 but I can't figure out the rest. Any help would be much appreciated.

jos28 wrote: »
    Looking for help deciphering my GG Grandfather's death cert. James Evans died 1882. I think the occupation says Hatter and his age was 45 but I can't figure out the rest. Any help would be much appreciated.
    23rd March 1882
    34 Lr Dominick (?) St.
    Cause of death was Consumption, 18 months certified.
    Informant Annie Groves, Present at Death, 70 Capel St.

I would agree with 45 and Hatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Caxton

Annie Grady present at death, 70 Capel St.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

That was quick folks, I'm very impressed. Thanks a million. Must find out who this Annie Groves is :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Caxton

Yeah, Groves looks good

• Advertisement

jos28 wrote: »
    That was quick folks, I'm very impressed. Thanks a million. Must find out who this Annie Groves is :confused:

Having a quick look at deaths of Anne Groves (and extrapolating whose widow she was) I think she was the wife of another hatter, James Henry Groves, who died in 1918.

Advertisement