Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Thanks all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

rOrbG45.jpg

Turned sideway as I'm interested in the note about her marriage there at the top - I was only make out the Latin for "joined in marriage" and "1910" for certain:

https://registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000634796#page/101/mode/1up

https://www.findmypast.ie/transcript?id=IRE/PRS/BAP/4030674

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's just a note saying who she married.

They are on rootsireland
    6 Feb 1910. Toomevara.
    He is down as Roderick, she is Johanna.
    PM me an email if you want screenshots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

spurious wrote: »
    It's just a note saying who she married.

They are on rootsireland
    6 Feb 1910. Toomevara.
    He is down as Roderick, she is Johanna.
    PM me an email if you want screenshots.

Thanks! No that's grand. Confirms there's two different women of same name with same father's name!

P.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I have a list of ancestors, with their DoB, which was compiled by some long forgotten family member. I thought that seeing as the parish has a microfilm copy of it's register online I'd see if I could track them down. My problem is that I don't know exactly what the format of the records are so unsure as to what I'm looking at. Looking at other records from the link below it looks like it's usually the word "Bap" followed by the person's name in Latin, mothers name and witnesses.
    This is an extract:
    FXJusP7.png
    I believe that this is the person I'm looking for.
    My inherited document just states that a Mary Brunnock/Brunnick was born in 1862 to a Patrick Brunnick and Bridget Connolly. I'm just not sure if I'm convincing myself that this is Mary

This is the full page from which I extracted the above portion:

XiSwj3h.png

Link to page

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That certainly looks like Mary child of Patrick Bronick and Bridget Connolly.
    Witnesses John Fox and Catherine Bronick.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

spurious wrote: »
    That certainly looks like Mary child of Patrick Bronick and Bridget Connolly.
    Witnesses John Fox and Catherine Bronick.
    That.s excellent, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Anyone take a guess at what is written under the marriage details of Nolan, highlighted in red.

Carum Poperto is my best guess but no idea what it means.
    A translation would be great also.

Thanks. Will add link shortly too.

Edit. Link added
    [url] https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634399#page/190/mode/1up[/url]

Carum-Poperto.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I wonder is it related to the last record on the previous page, where there's a Patrick Nolan marrying a Maria Graham "via dispensationui intactis" or something to that effect. I think either of them may have been a protestant. (See page 88 here for the use of Poperte: https://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/eebo/A13707.0001.001/1:3?rgn=div1;view=fulltext). Carum seems to be a plant, but it might very well be a Latin declension of something else (dear, expensive? http://latindictionary.wikidot.com/adjective:carus).

'Coram' means 'in the presence of'.
    I wonder if there are no witnesses listed, it just means in the presence of the priest, or something similar?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That sounds more likely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Struggling to make out some of the information on this death record. Under Cause of death there is a lot of writing squashed in. I have been able to make some of it out but just need an extra pair of eyes.

(DEATH NUMBER 284) LINK

Also under informant, I can't make out what it says below "Coroner for cork county....."

Deceased died of cardiac disease namely myocarditis and that we have not sufficient (D wof?) and that (The?) (xxxx?/ confuse?) accelerated his death.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Deceased died of cardiac disease, namely (?) myocardiac, and that we have not suffered that ....his work

Under the coroner it says "north riding. Inquest held 26/3/1928"

Genealogy Forum Mod

'Injuries' (?) accelerated his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

ah yes! Injuries would make more sense.
    Thanks Everyone.

I now see something like

"And that we have not ______ a way that the injury accelerated his death"

I wonder if he was involved in some accident that caused such "injuries"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

"and that we have not sufficient proof..............that the injuries acc.....his death"

Sorry, can't make out "accelerated" there - last syllable looks like "fied".

I think the f in "fied" is actually part of the word below it.

Got it! "sufficient proof that the injuries accelerated his death".

New Home wrote: »
    Got it! "sufficient proof that the injuries accelerated his death".

Gah...it's plain as day when I look at it now and know what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

I have two queries. The first is for the occupation of the groom in a marriage. It's number 27 down. On his wife's death, his occupation was recorded as a carpenter so that might help.
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1886/10853/5962770.pdf

For this one, I'm trying to make out the cause of death at the bottom of the page (447). It's child birth ? a few minutes no medical attendant. The writing for cause of death looks different to the rest of the entries.
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1887/06193/4771034.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

srmf5 wrote: »
    I have two queries. The first is for the occupation of the groom in a marriage. It's number 27 down. On his wife's death, his occupation was recorded as a carpenter so that might help.
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1886/10853/5962770.pdf

Tradesman.

BowWow wrote: »
    Tradesman.

Ah thank you! The way it was spaced out, I thought there were two words.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

The missing word in cause of death looks like 'syncope' (fainting/loss of consciousness): Childbirth. Syncope a few minutes, no medical attendant. [Punctuation added.]
    Sad - looks like a very avoidable death.

Two questions on this one please:

Marriage between Patrick Cullen and Sarah Dempsey, 6th from bottom.

His mother's first name and the place his parents live.

I know what the transcription says for her name but I'm reading something else.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Brigida for the mother?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Moyvalley?

The transcription says Brigida but I thought Eliza also fit.

Could be Moyvalley.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I also thought it might be Eugenia or similar at first.

And I'd agree with Moyvalley though I couldn't make it out myself.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I thought that it looked like Brigida also.

Advertisement