Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

trellheim wrote: »
    Dont mistake David Davis for a fool, he negotiated Maastricht for Major

He was government whip at the time. Not sure what role he played in actual negotiations.

His performance at the committee where he acknowledged that feasibility studies in to various industries had not been done was that of a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

trellheim wrote: »
    Dont mistake David Davis for a fool, he negotiated Maastricht for Major
    Civil servants did that. Davis is widely accepted to be a second rate intellect at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,309 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Angry bird wrote: »
    The EU is punishing us line will be trotted out ad nauseum. Should joe bloggs realise that this is a lie, and there's no guarantee that this will happen, then there'll be hell to pay. I don't foresee Brexit as being this big shock, rather over time things disimprove as costs increase and standards decrease.

I think they will realise it. Brexiteers saying "Yes, Brexit is a disaster and a failure and will impact on you badly but don't worry, it's all the EU's fault, not ours" simply won't wash.

The EU will have already departed the stage leaving the Brexit mob to face the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Angry bird wrote: »
    The EU is punishing us line will be trotted out ad nauseum.

It's a weird juxtaposition of 'holding all the cards' with 'they're trying to bully us'.

Both victor and victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,337 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1057674292702396416

Coveney sounds like his patience is waining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Feed Up

The hardline brexiteers want a no deal. With a no deal they can blame everyone else except themselves, the EU and especially us.

If there is a deal it will be nowhere near as good as they promised. They don't want that.

So they'll leave Theresa May in place to take the hit.

My own view is when the chaos of no deal arises towards the end of March '19 there will be a deal. What it will look like I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Gintonious wrote: »

I think they will keep kicking the can down the road knowing that they can secure a deal quicky to get them to a transition period, every deadline has been passed so far I don't see November being any different.

If the EU were serious they would stall talks and prepare for a no deal but that's not going to happen until next February.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Raab sounds delusional, saying a deal could be finalised in three weeks, when there appears to be no progress whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Feed Up wrote: »
    The hardline brexiteers want a no deal. With a no deal they can blame everyone else except themselves, the EU and especially us.

If there is a deal it will be nowhere near as good as they promised. They don't want that.

My own view is when the chaos of no deal arises towards the end of March '19 there will be a deal. What it will look like I have no idea.
    Raab sounds delusional, saying a deal could be finalised in three weeks, when there appears to be no progress whatsoever.

The EU has been clear that there needs to be a deal on the Withdrawal Agreement around now as it will take time to get through all the parliaments, in case the Wallonia for example votes against it. That will leave time where a new deal can be agreed to get it through.

If you leave it too late from the UK side you are basically giving in to EU demands as it will need to be that good for all EU parliaments to accept it without too much hassle.

But a deal like that will probably look like BRINO (Brexit in name only) and it will not quieten down the ERG and Nigel may make a reappearance in UK politics which the Conservatives will want to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭briany

Feed Up wrote: »

Hardline Brexiteers always wanted a no-deal if they weren't given the deal that was never really on the cards. That's been known for about as long as these negotiations have been going, or at least certainly since May said, "No deal is better than a bad deal.".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    I think they will keep kicking the can down the road knowing that they can secure a deal quicky to get them to a transition period, every deadline has been passed so far I don't see November being any different.

If the EU were serious they would stall talks and prepare for a no deal but that's not going to happen until next February.

December 2017 the border issue should have been sorted conclusively before any movement to phase 2 talks.

The U.K. was on the hook then and we let them wriggle off it with a fudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

charlie14 wrote:

I think we all thought the backstop agreement was acceptable last December.
    It was until the UK introduced legislation which would inhibit it's implementation but they only did that because the backstop was so successful from an Ireland/EU perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

charlie14 wrote: »
    December 2017 the border issue should have been sorted conclusively before any movement to phase 2 talks.

Nope, they agreed and signed on it. And then renaged on their word. There was no fudge, only Tory lies and bad faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

TBH I'm almost hoping for a hard Brexit just so to see the look on all these leave lads faces when they realize they've just f***ed their economy off a cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭brickster69

Rhineshark wrote: »

Nope, they agreed and signed on it. And then renaged on their word. There was no fudge, only Tory lies and bad faith.
    Incorrect. The December agreement was agreed  in principle ( 2 ) and also under the caveat  that " nothing is agreed until everything is agreed "
    The agreement is in the link below. 
    https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/joint_report.pdf

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭brickster69

Rhineshark wrote: »

Incorrect. The December agreement was agreed  in principle ( 2 ) and also under the caveat  that " nothing is agreed until everything is agreed "

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Here is an article on the UK negotiation tactics of trying to go beyond Barnier to get better terms for the UK.

Why the UK’s Brexit negotiation tactics drew a blank

Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed cuts both ways. We can have a great agreement for the UK where they get all the benefits and none of the "drawbacks" of EU membership, but if there is not an agreement on NI then it will not happen.

The same as the EU can get 98% of the way to getting what they want but if it is not signed off then we are back to the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,572 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Provocative headline in the Telegraph saying Ireland 'warns' UK (nonsense of course) but it's the comments underneath that are most entertaining.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/10/31/brexit-latest-david-davis-concedes-defeat-brexit-deal-admits/

Telegraph readers seem to have a thing for 'Eire' and WW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Yes, it was, but once it has been signed off by both principles, particularly when this a caveat for moving on to the next phase, it is most certainly reneging to say "what do you mean we signed up to this, we thought we were bull****ting you!"

So I stick with my prior phrasing. It was not transposed into law, but it was agreed under the expectation and agreement that it would be. The Tories backslid in a way that makes the UK look pretty bad on the international stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

EKRIUQ wrote: »

rte let the cat out of the bag, the dup got excited, may got told what to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Bambi wrote: »
    TBH I'm almost hoping for a hard Brexit just so to see the look on all these leave lads faces when they realize they've just f***ed their economy off a cliff.

Unfortunately, we're tied to these particular mountaineers, so a gentle descent might be preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Unfortunately, we're tied to these particular mountaineers, so a gentle descent might be preferable.
    Not as tied as we used to be. Afaik, Belgium passed the UK as our biggest European export market this year.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Not as tied as we used to be. Afaik, Belgium passed the UK as our biggest European export market this year.

It has to go through the UK to get there though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It has to go through the UK to get there though.

Not necessarily - the boats can go the long way round - might be quicker if Dover and Calais have tailbacks into the 100 km.

Not necessarily - the boats can go the long way round - might be quicker if Dover and Calais have tailbacks into the 100 km.

Which will drive up the cost and time for it to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

Brexit is a lose-lose for everyone. But if the UK can't get their act together we will have to take the hit, while (obviously) trying to minimise the damage as best we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,226 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not the Tories back sliding, more importantly it was the UK Government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

It seems the Home Office is now challenging Irish nationals born in Northern Ireland to prove they have an entitlement to live in Northern Ireland i.e. the UK.

I can see this ending VERY badly:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/oct/31/home-office-tells-northern-irish-woman-to-prove-right-to-live-in-belfast?CMP=share_btn_tw

It's a blatant breech of the GFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭briany

Bambi wrote: »

The rhetoric is already that the EU and British Remain supporters are conspiring to make Brexit a failure. Hardcore Leave supporters won't be looking into the mirror on this, they'll just be upping the finger pointing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Maybe longer transit time than now, but if it is certain transit time, and not too much more, then not really a problem. Savings on driver time, an extra 12 hours transit time.

Nothing like the problem for the UK car assembly plants where parts are stuck everywhere, and no reliable transit time. They will be going from 'Just in time' to 'hopelessly late', and 'We are out of here'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement