Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

having a few pints the night before a marathon

• 28-10-2018 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

would anybody ever consider having a few pints of guinness the night before a marathon..the reason i ask is my brother ran dublin city marathon today in a time of 3hrs 17 minutes...he had 6 pints of guinness yesterday...he is 41 years of age..i

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭enricoh

If yer super fit it doesn't affect u as much. Was in the pub one Saturday n a lad that plays gaelic for the county was drinking vodka n red Bull all night. Probably the best forward we have.
    The final league match was on the next day n put on local radio to get the end of the match. The same lad got man of the match with commentators saying he was virtually unmarkable!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

thebourke wrote: »
    would anybody ever consider having a few pints of guinness the night before a marathon..the reason i ask is my brother ran dublin city marathon today in a time of 3hrs 17 minutes...he had 6 pints of guinness yesterday...he is 41 years of age..i

Little to no context here. More than likely he is fitter than that and didn't achieve his potential

The majority of people who say it didn't affect them are a) either lying or b) running within themselves. You are kidding yourself if you think otherwise

(FWIW I have ran 3 hrs flat after a few pints and whiskey they day before, doesn't mean I in any way support or endorse anyone doing it as a bright idea)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭thebourke

he has ran a good marathons..today was his 42nd...he is doing another one in a few weeks time in tenerife ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

My tuppence worth. I'd say one or two, depending a bit on size/weight of athlete would make little or no difference.

6 though?!?!!? Nah, that has to have an effect. A negative one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Assume this is a p!sstake?

Tell him to have 12 pints next time and he might break 3 hours :P

How anyone can think consuming a large amount of alcohol can improve your performance in an athletic event is beyond me. Maybe one or two max to settle the nerves, but anything after that can only have a negative effect.

• Advertisement

its not a pisstake..i was with him in Cassidys on Camden street last night..I had 4 pints with him..he had 2 pints before he met me..guinness wasn't great..he travelled up from cork yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

its not a pisstake..i was with him in Cassidys on Camden street last night..I had 4 pints with him..he had 2 pints before he met me..guinness wasn't great..he travelled up from cork yesterday...

Imagine if it had been good!!

Did ye comment at any stage about the drinking and the marathon the next day? Had he trained seriously, do you know?

he said he didn't do a crazy amount of training..he did mention he was a bit lightheaded this morning alright!he runs a marathon about every 5 or 6 weeks..he has ran 9 so far this year...although he doesn't normally drink before marathons!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Assume this is a p!sstake?

Tell him to have 12 pints next time and he might break 3 hours :P

How anyone can think consuming a large amount of alcohol can improve your performance in an athletic event is beyond me. Maybe one or two max to settle the nerves, but anything after that can only have a negative effect.

I've had some pretty surprisingly good runs after being out the night before. I reckon some of it is that you're expectations are low and you approach it much more relaxed.

Hurrache wrote: »
    I've had some pretty surprisingly good runs after being out the night before. I reckon some of it is that you're expectations are low and you approach it much more relaxed.

I'll get onto Nike.
    Forget the shoes, pacers etc.
    Get Kipchoge to go on the razz the night before and he's sure to break 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

he has ran a good marathons..today was his 42nd...he is doing another one in a few weeks time in tenerife ...

That explains it, multi - marathon so running within himself to an extent so in that sense not gonna affect performance too much because it's not a top end performance relative to his ability. Having said that he probably worked a bit harder than he would have to achieve that had he not drank but if that is what he wants to do that is his perogative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

he's running within himself, otherwise he wouldn't be doing a marathon every 6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I had a rake loads of pints and spirits on the Thursday before the San Sebastián marathon which was the Saturday. ( got caught up with the gang that was there, mainly supporters)

Friday consisted of pumping diarolytes into me and then having a big feast.

My time was15 minutes faster than. The Dublin one 4 weeks earlier.

Would I advise it, no. Did it make a difference, not much. Time was 4:15 v 4:30

My issue is my knees get sore, as opposed to fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

What's his marathon pb???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

In 1896, at the inaugural modern Olympic Games, Greek marathon runner Spiridon Louis famously knocked back a glass of cognac with six miles left to go in the race. Refreshed, he went on to win the gold.

The 1904 St. Louis Olympic Marathon runners battled sweltering 95-degree heat and borderline inhumane track conditions. Throughout his victorious run, Thomas Hicks regularly sipped near-deadly cocktails of strychnine, brandy, and sulfate in egg whites.

In 1908, the winner of the Chicago Marathon, janitor-turned-runner Albert Corey, credited his win a steady supply of champagne.

(but then the marathon world best was greater than 2:55 for men)

https://eagleac.net/2015/04/28/carb-loading-at-the-london-marathon/
    Can't remember his handle on here but he has ran 2:26 since

6 pints of Guinness the night before! I think Christy wrote a song about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5fBppsntAE

Personally I have had a glass or two of wine night before a race. Anything over 10M I feel it would have a negative impact for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I had a good few before Achill HM and came in at 1.42. Had 2 cans before Dublin two years ago and came in at 4.01.

Not sure what above means but doubt it has that much of an affect. Working before a marathon was a stupid idea

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I'll get onto Nike.
    Forget the shoes, pacers etc.
    Get Kipchoge to go on the razz the night before and he's sure to break 2 hours.

What are you talking about? You take one remark from a person and think they person is claiming scientific fact? Step away from the internet, you may end up believing all sorts.

Hurrache wrote: »
    What are you talking about? You take one remark from a person and think they person is claiming scientific fact? Step away from the internet, you may end up believing all sorts.

You take an obviously sarcastic comment and assume you know how the person who made it thinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭gucci

Think we need to move/merge this thread here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭flatty

Couple of pints or a half bottle of wine always for me.

• Advertisement

Yesterday was his third time to do the dublin city marathon and it was his pb for that marathon yesterday!
    his best time ever was sixmilebridge marathon..3 hours 8 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

My Dad had 6 pints of Guinness before the Dublin Marathon in 1984. It was a mixture of believing the Guinness is good for you advertising, thinking the iron would be good and just saying feck it.

He suffered through the race and swore not to do it again. It probably added 30-40 minutes onto his time.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The other half had 6 pints the night before pacing 3:45 at DCM 7 years ago...

Big difference between pacing & racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'd feel sorry for anyone running behind him with the Guinness farts flying out his hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I've done a lot of runs hungover, but never would I think that my state was even vaguely optimal. Sure, a drink or two the night before a race might make you feel better at the time, but any amount of alcohol will dehydrate you and make you sleep badly, either of which will negatively influence any intense physical activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

He was in good company If i recall :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

ger664 wrote: »

He was in good company If i recall :D
    Im going to tell a true story. Like all true stories you can choose yourself to believe it or disbelieve it. One Monday evening I got sick of the **** at work and said I had to go I went into the local pub in my nearest town 5 miles from my house. I had either 18 or 19 cans of cider. I calculated based on the amount of money I had going in minus the amount I had leaving(none). It was 1.30 am tuesday morning there were no taxis. The pub owner who had relieved me willingly of my 84 euros had no intrest in my transportation delima. I ran home. The 5 miles took me somewhere between 40 and 47 minutes. I was tired. Like every other time I drank too much I didnt have a hang over but I felt like a gob****e. This proves nothing but its a good story(I think). And its true if you believe it and also if you dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

I think part of the reason why people may race “better” is that you throw caution to the wind in terms of race plan.

Sure you’re hungover, you’ve nothing to lose by going out fast. If you blow up, that’s to be expected.

I’ve had some great races hungover. And awful ones. Can go either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Why would somebody choose to race hungover? Firstly, you can't enjoy the night out because the race is on your mind. Secondly, you can't race well because you have messed up your sleep among other things.

Pick one or the other. Trying to do both just results in a rubbish performance and a so-so night out.

Advertisement