Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well Trump will be trying to limit the kick back at himself and the GOP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,019 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Any head of state that calls its (free) press the "Enemy of the People", and continually speaks in a hostile fashion towards the 4th estate, should be castigated in no uncertain terms for being the catalyst of this whole sorry affair.

He made the Cult of Trump, he indulges in it every time he holds one of his big rallies - he should be made pay for its outcomes. He won't of course, but he should.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

"He can't win" seems a likely complaint from his adherents, but if he actually wants to make amends he needs to repudiate his previous insane fascistic comments about the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

At that presser a while ago the press are pushing back at Trump shouting fake news at him when he tried to claim he gets attacked all the time. Are they starting to grow a pair?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,237 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Gbear wrote: »
    "He can't win" seems a likely complaint from his adherents, but if he actually wants to make amends he needs to repudiate his previous insane fascistic comments about the press.

i.e. Apologise, aka never gonna happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm sure he could well have, but my point still stands: we live in an era when conspiracy theorists and Flat Earthers alike feel emboldened and legitimised, while the sitting US President dissembles or spreads conspiracies about his own agencies. Partisanship now outweighs common sense and decency.

Hell, this whole incident could have been a slam dunk for any embattled President, let alone Trump; had he any self-awareness or empathy he could have stood in front of the nation, condemned the attacks in no uncertain terms with some generalised "while we may disagree with each other..." style speech. Nope.

I agree completely. My 'He could be lying I suppose' remark was sardonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Seems the guy has been working up to this. Previously making threats on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/RochelleRitchie/status/1055867631461416962

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Thirteenth bomb confirmed to have been intercepted in Sacramento, California, addressed to Senator Kamala Harris.

Sayoc at a Trump rally in 2017 in Orlando, Florida.

Dqcv0dlWwAALGn0.jpg:large

Amazingly, Sayoc's Twitter account (under a pseudonym) is still open.

https://twitter.com/hardrock2016

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,996 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Sayoc at a Trump rally in 2017 in Orlando, Florida.

Dqcv0dlWwAALGn0.jpg:large

A great poster boy for Trumps "Politics"

The democrats need to take a big advantage of this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I can't make up my mind if this guy was a Trump supporter:

https://twitter.com/thereal_mo01/status/1055844641952665600

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Wait til they find his inevitable reddit account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

Wait til they find his inevitable reddit account.

It'll be buried amongst several alt accounts in the bowels of T_D. I doubt his Reddit account would stand out amongst the rest on that sub.

FBI Director Christopher Wray at the Justice Dept press conference: "These were not hoax bombs."

I think Wray is getting ahead of the curve, before Trump starts spouting off about the threat "not being real".

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

When was one of these devices sent to senator Kamala Harris(or addressed to her at least) ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    When was one of these devices sent to senator Kamala Harris(or addressed to her at least) ?

Yep. Booker too.

Think its about 15 or so now...

Hopefully Trump will take the hint from the fact to the FBI director and Attorney general being there. As the Director of the FBI said these devices "weren't hoaxes."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

FatherTed wrote: »
    I can't make up my mind if this guy was a Trump supporter:

https://twitter.com/thereal_mo01/status/1055844641952665600

Mmm. It's a bit inconclusive...

everlast75 wrote: »
    Yep. Booker too.

Think its about 15 or so now...

I heard about Booker earlier but MSNBC put up the graphic and showed Kamala Harris and I'd not seen her name mentioned before. I wonder if Jeff sessions is there because he knows he's out as AG more than likely and is going out on the right side of this mess.

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »
    At 3:14am.. like any sane president would do.

Either there is a big story about to break, or the criticism over his rhetoric is starting to affect him*

*Unlikely as that is

https://twitter.com/matthewamiller/status/1055898146096713728?s=19

Van jones was praising Jeff sessions earlier. Jaysus lads that's not something that happens often.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Long ballots are typical. We vote on bloody everything. Unless you’re trying to say that California is trying to suppress folks by way of long ballots,

Should the Bay Bridge (singular) increase tolls? On the ballot in nine counties. Should BART take out a bond to improve infrastructure? Also on the ballot in nine counties, only six of which have BART service. I get to vote on board members for the unified school district, the water resources board, mayor, city council, county council. State representative, state senator, congressional representative, congressional senator, Sheriff isn’t up for election in my county this year, but is in a neighboring one. No judges on next month’s ballot for me, or prosecutor, but they are commonly found. Should the current parcel tax to aid the East Bay Regional Parks District be extended? (County measure FF) Should the State Government be authorized to determine whether or not California will use Daylight Savings Time? (That one, Prop 7, doesn’t say whether or not we should change our clocks, it only gives the government authority to make the decision one way or the other). I even get to vote on whether or not ambulance drivers are to be on call when on their meal breaks. (Prop 11).

You get the idea. We get to vote on a hell of a lot, and when there are elections for positions, we can also have a hell of a lot of candidates which have to go on the paper. There is nothing nefarious about a long ballot in the US. It’s annoying as all hell, because we get bombarded by advertising for them all, and then we have to do a heck of a lot of research, but it’s normal.

Long ballots are typical. We vote on bloody everything. Unless you’re trying to say that California is trying to suppress folks by way of long ballots,

Should the Bay Bridge (singular) increase tolls? On the ballot in nine counties. Should BART take out a bond to improve infrastructure? Also on the ballot in nine counties, only six of which have BART service. I get to vote on board members for the unified school district, the water resources board, mayor, city council, county council. State representative, state senator, congressional representative, congressional senator, Sheriff isn’t up for election in my county this year, but is in a neighboring one. No judges on next month’s ballot for me, or prosecutor, but they are commonly found. Should the current parcel tax to aid the East Bay Regional Parks District be extended? (County measure FF) Should the State Government be authorized to determine whether or not California will use Daylight Savings Time? (That one, Prop 7, doesn’t say whether or not we should change our clocks, it only gives the government authority to make the decision one way or the other). I even get to vote on whether or not ambulance drivers are to be on call when on their meal breaks. (Prop 11).

You get the idea. We get to vote on a hell of a lot, and when there are elections for positions, we can also have a hell of a lot of candidates which have to go on the paper. There is nothing nefarious about a long ballot in the US. It’s annoying as all hell, because we get bombarded by advertising for them all, and then we have to do a heck of a lot of research, but it’s normal.

I mean when you think about it it makes sense to vote on as many elections or like you say everything and anything that needs to be voted on at the one time. But sixteen pages is mental though. I'd say they are people today annoyed(there always is) about having a presidential election and referendum on one day here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Long ballots are not the point Manic. The voters selection was changed!

Long ballots maybe increase the complexity to both the system and the voter but surely makinga selection should mean just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

That's not his main one. You'll find that one under the accounts he follows. Hint, he cleverly used the same avatar. Another name though; Julus Cesar Milan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

prawnsambo wrote: »
    That's not his main one. You'll find that one under the accounts he follows. Hint, he cleverly used the same avatar. :)

Suspended now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Putting aside that this idiot could have killed multiple people, the irony is he's done irreparable damage for the mid terms elections at literally the worst possible time. He'll be made an example out of and rightly so, political violence of any kind should not be tolerated. I'm not tone deaf enough to suggest his acts are comparable to recent events or the rising heat between political divisions, if he gets put away for life some good might come out of it to calm the discourse. No matter peoples differences intimidation or violence must not tolerated under any circumstance.

In an ideal world Trump, Democratic leaders and some media heads should get together in a show of revolve and reinstate that their differences can only be settled through discourse and the ballot box. That's the only way Trump comes out of this in a positive light, but judging from his tweets earlier that I rolled my eyes at that's not going to happen. You can't put direct blame on anyone in this situation for the actions of others, but it's not black and white. Some of Trump's rhetoric has been very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Suspended now.
    Looks like a few twitter accounts are being suspended. Came across another one that had engaged in deflection and it was suspended in the last half hour or so. Wonder have Twitter realised that they could be in trouble after ignoring obvious death threats from this nitter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Well, that's real local democracy in action, isn't it? There are very few places where people get to choose the answer to such questions. Elsewhere, the bungs & back-handers from the toll operator to local public officials would decide the question.

The downside may well be an over-confusing balloting process. This means that greater security of the process is needed and possible rigging must be dealt with harshly. That case of Ted Cruz appearing following a decision to vote Democrat across the board appears to be an appalling failure or else an egregious manipulation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement