Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina [Netflix]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Looks fab!! I hope there is a Salem in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭corkie

REMINDER: - All episodes available tomorrow on Netflix!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This and Castlevania on the same day, yet won't get to start watching until Sunday night at the earliest

Looks like 10 episodes for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

After 30 minutes of the first episode, I'm out.

"Women should rule the world", sexual assault, "take down the white patriarchy", a "daughters of black panther" club...

I don't need any of that crap in a show about a teenage witch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

"Women should rule the world", sexual assault, "take down the white patriarchy", a "daughters of black panther" club...

Sounds good, looking forward to checking it out!

Sounds good, looking forward to checking it out!
    Great Johnny, you got the liberal "I'll watch it because it has those things" response. Congrats.

I have extremely liberal views, and I'd watch plenty of films and TV series with those themes, but there's absolutely no need to have those in this show, about a teenage witch. They do not add to the main plot at all.

Oh yeah, Sabrina has a pansexual, mixed race cousin too, because why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,935 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Great Johnny, you got the liberal "I'll watch it because it has those things" response. Congrats.

I have extremely liberal views, and I'd watch plenty of films and TV series with those themes, but there's absolutely no need to have those in this show, about a teenage witch. They do not add to the main plot at all.

Oh yeah, Sabrina has a pansexual, mixed race cousin too, because why not.

thanks for the warning !!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It's sitting on 88% from 48 critics on Rotten Tomatoes, 77 from 21 critics on MetaCritic and 8.9/10 from 261 reviews on IMDB.

No offense to Frank, but with strong reviews overall, I plan to watch it myself and form my own opinion rather than being dissuaded by one single critical review on Boards. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Was looking forward to this with the reviews but I am now concerned after Frank's post.

Nothing worse than a preachy culture show when there is no need for it.

Will try it out though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,935 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Unearthly wrote: »
    Was looking forward to this with the reviews but I am now concerned after Frank's post.

Nothing worse than a preachy culture show when there is no need for it.

Will try it out though

i'll try a few episodes this evening too i think. like you too thou, don't like being preached at !!

Mr E wrote: »
    It's sitting on 88% from 48 critics on Rotten Tomatoes, 77 from 21 critics on MetaCritic and 8.9/10 from 261 reviews on IMDB.

No offense to Frank, but with strong reviews overall, I plan to watch it myself and form my own opinion rather than being dissuaded by one single critical review on Boards. :o
    Honestly not trying to dissuade anyone. I was excited to binge it this weekend, but I couldn't stomach much of it.

If you generally like the CW network stuff, like Riverdale and the Arrowverse shows, you probably will like this too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I do confess to being a touch glib in that response, I’d definitely be of the opinion that a show about a teenage witch can easily address these sort of issues - don’t see why they’d be precluded because of the central conceit. Whether they’re handled organically, elegantly or badly... well that’s another question!

Anyway, I am curious to give this a watch. Sabrina was a frequent kids TV feature when I was a kid, although it was hardly ever particularly high-quality programming. I am certainly interested to see a more grown-up (or at least adolescent) spin on the character and whether it works at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just watched first two episodes, I thought it was very decent and ill be back for more over the weekend.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

As someone else who watched the original, I'm definitely wondering how I'll find the difference here (I haven't read the comics). Helps also that they got a strong actress in the lead.

With respect to other areas - many witch stories have always incorporated strong elements of feminism and matriarchy. They've always had an element of empowerment so it's certainly in keeping to have it in the show. All that matters is the degree but the themes themselves are certainly in bounds.

While I do confess to being a touch glib in that response, I’d definitely be of the opinion that a show about a teenage witch can easily address these sort of issues - don’t see why they’d be precluded because of the central conceit. Whether they’re handled organically, elegantly or badly... well that’s another question!

Anyway, I am curious to give this a watch. Sabrina was a frequent kids TV feature when I was a kid, although it was hardly ever particularly high-quality programming. I am certainly interested to see a more grown-up (or at least adolescent) spin on the character and whether it works at all.
    I did feel as though you thought I was being anti-progressive. I'm not.

As someone who also watched Madeline's Madeline this see week, I wouldn't think this show would be your cup of tea at all. I would think you seek out things slightly more intellectual, like I do.

This show is nothing like the 90s version.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

There seems to outrage here for the sake of outrage.
    A show about witch's has feminist undertones, shocker!

I don't think at any point it's too "on the nose"
    The sexual assault plot is poignant and important as it's one of the main reasons Sabrina chooses to stay behind, unselfishly for her friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,283 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Santino the teenage Warlock who lives with his uncles Hildan & Zeldan and their dog Salen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

The English accents are very off-putting for me. I may not watch the second episode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I loved the original tv series back in the day. Watched the first 2 episodes last night and will continue this evening. I get an early Buffy vibe off it. I like the characters so far and the lead who’s name I can’t remember fits well.

As to the whole PC element that was referred to earlier, I see it as character development so far. That bit was about 5 minutes of the whole first 2 episodes. No point overreacting to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,283 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I watched the first episode and found it ok however I am finding the cadence of her speech very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

On episode 3 atm I know there completely different genres but I found the other old show more entertaining just cause it was so silly and fun and didn’t take itself seriously.

This thing is soo dreary and unfun to me it seems more suited to a 2hour movie than 10 hour episodes of this. The women’s pc thing was annoying and not a good start to Sabrina’s character.

It defiantly feels like it’s trying to be Harry Potter imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

biggebruv wrote: »
    On episode 3 atm I know there completely different genres but I found the other old show more entertaining just cause it was so silly and fun and didn’t take itself seriously.

This thing is soo dreary and unfun to me it seems more suited to a 2hour movie than 10 hour episodes of this. The women’s pc thing was annoying and not a good start to Sabrina’s character.

It defiantly feels like it’s trying to be Harry Potter imo

Or its an accurate recreation of the comic..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

If Salem the cat does not talk then there is zero point to this show :P

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

If Salem the cat does not talk then there is zero point to this show :P
    The lead actress is allergic to the cat...real geniuses working on this show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Watched 2 episodes of it, but won't watch any more. Perhaps I'm not the target audience, but somehow it felt both darker and more juvenile/teen angsty than the original TV show which may sound an odd statement.

The original was obviously a kids show but adults could still enjoy it, this feels like a teen girls show that adults won't really enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Made it to episode 4 and decided it’s not for me gone from the list bye bye Sabrina

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I am quite enjoying it :o

Interesting that it has some crossover with Riverdale, they've mentioned it a couple times and apparently there will be a crossover ep or something.
    eta: Didn't realise they're in the same comics universe - mystery solved!

Some fun quirky stuff in there twisting the usual phrases around like unholy matrimony and all that.
    I'm a sucker for anachronism in shows when done well like gotham and riverdale, and this is another one to add to the mix. And I allllways will love michelle gomez after seeing her as missy!! all the actors are solid. your man the cousin is brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

watched the whole thing and liked it, if you likes stranger things you will like this

Advertisement