Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is your sight?

Options
  • 01-09-2003 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,260 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how many people are short sighted etc.

How is your sight? 142 votes

Short sighted
    0% 0 votes
    Long sighted
    56% 80 votes
    Other impairment
    2% 3 votes
    Blind
    11% 16 votes
    Normal sighted
    2% 3 votes
    I've haven't had my eyes checked recently
    28% 40 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

What if you've got one eye that's short-sighted and the other that's long-sighted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Other impairment

I have a Scar down my left eye ball which scatters light coming into it. Also i have an artificial lens implanted in that eye so what i can see is better far away.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I have never got my eyes checked. But I've done the eye test thing in my doctors when he stepped out of the room; I can get bored easily :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

my right eye is fine, nearly blind in my left eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Perfect 20/20 and eeirly good night vision. Why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

colour blindness is my only ailment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

I've not had them cecked in years! But they seem to be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Perfect 20/20 vision :p

So good in fact that I was able to locate my bf's contact lense when it fell out of his eye in a busy, badly lit, pub in Dublin on a Thursday night.

He on the other hand is very "short sighted" or blind as I like to put it. :)

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Every one in the family has glasses, four of us short sighted, one long. I'm confident the cat is wearing contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Used to be slightly short-sighted.
    Had Laser surgery three years ago (for work reasons) and now my sight is near-perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

my eyesight is perfect. but I cant see in the dark at all...more carrots methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Slightly short sighted and photo phobic to boot (Easily blinded by glare/bright light)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Recently passed an exacting eye test and colour blindness test for a job.

So i'd say mine are ok.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Short cighted, but not that badly, wear glasses to correct cause i got sick of the bloody contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

used to have 20/20 and excellent night vision. But after eight months of staring at a computer screen my vision is fukked to the point that if something isn't two feet away from me i have trouble focusing on it and have to squint. Hoping that the nice year long break that is college will give my eyes a break.

/oh and i blame boards, if i didn't find boards.ie at the start of co-op it would have been very boring but my eye sight would be perfect. Im gonna sue.............

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

only very very short sighted, in fact near perfect vision. i got glasses during the leaving, as i was getting eye strain, and since then i only wear them when i'm studying, or when i have a headache, usually caused by eye strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Optic nerve to my right eye was damaged, so i have incredibly blurry sight out of that eye. My left eye has seemingly compensated and i now have ~30/20 vision with it. The end result of it all being i can see quite far, but my depth perception is lacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Short-sighted since 1881 er 1981 and proud of it! :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

20/20 (methinks), I used to have good night vision but that has now gone to the dogs, whats this I hear about carrots? and what are other things that are good for maintaining or helping vision?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I'm longsighted with astigmatism and amblyopia in the left eye, which renders it almost useless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Very short sighted.. Been wearing contact lens a few years (can't stand glasses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

short sighted, got a stigmatism in one eye can't remember which, and I wear glasses for alots of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Any one who works on computers for long hours in a company or at home should make sure that the refresh rate of the monitor is set to 75 HZ minimum as the default setting on many computers is 60 Hz which is not good for your eyes at all. The higher rate the better.

A lot of big companies will have a policy about this included in their health and saftey/computer use policy, although most companies probably don't have a clue:eek:

So if you can't get a 75hz or higher monitor demand one from your employer! It for your own good as well as theirs.

I don't have any links with proof of this but I know it to be true.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DUX

I was short sighted until last year and then...... I went for an excellent eye surgery, and guess what? I am 20/20 today, no more bloody contact lenses or glasses.... :cool:

Never spent 2000 Euro in a better way in my whole life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I've done eye tests and only have trouble on the last line of the charts. That's almost 20/20 I believe. i have a cataract (sp?) in my left eye but the optician said it didn't change size so it's okay :confused:

BTW to the guys who've had Laser treatment, my girlfriend wants to get it done. What were the risks and did you have any particular qualms about getting it done? What was the procedure like and where did you go to get it done? PM me if you feel it's too off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭beezkneez

blind in left eye and cant see with my right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Short-sighted myself - being wearing glasses since I was about 4!!!

Can't believe the amount of people on her who have problems with their eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DUX

Raz, I had the laser surgery done last year and it went perfectly.

- 90% of the time is permanent, 10% of the cases has to be done again after a few years.

- 98% of the time is successfull, 2% may leave problem to the sight, especially at evening you may find the lights annoying (fortunately I didn't have this problem but there is a slight possibility that this happens)

- Usually the surgery is done 1 eye at the time (although I decided to do both eyes in one go).
    The day of the operation and a couple of days after is better to wear sunglasses and definetly avoid sun exposure. It will e a bit painful and annoying for the first 3-4 days but nothing unbearable.

- After the sight will be very good, but you may still have some problems during nights for a few weeks, but nothing too bad.

- after 1-2 months the sight should be perfect.

- Cost is around 2000 Euro for both eyes (I did it in Italy but I believe the prices are the same everywhere, in Spain is cheaper, about 1000 for both eyes)

On the internet you can find many info. Let me know if you would like any further info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Cheers for Dux.
    Any particular sources you used online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I'm registered as blind.

I have 6/60 vision or something meaning I can see clearly at 6 metres what someone with perfect sight can see at 60 metres (according to my opthalmolagist) think he was just trying to fob me off.

Meh!

I wear glasses and have low vision aids for distance work etc.
    My other senses have compensated for it though which is pretty cool and I have adapted quite well methinks. Have no major difficulties as a result, nothing that can't be overcome at least.

*shrug*

Advertisement