Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is your sight?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

im slight colour blind so had to get colour contacts so i can see red more clearly for the job of course

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Moriarty
    Optic nerve to my right eye was damaged, so i have incredibly blurry sight out of that eye. My left eye has seemingly compensated and i now have ~30/20 vision with it. The end result of it all being i can see quite far, but my depth perception is lacking.
    Sounds a bit like me. I fell down the stairs when I was quite young (about 2) and damaged my left eye. Developed a lazy left eye (or didn't develop a good left ye if you want to look at it that way). Wore a patch over my right eye for a few years[1] (it was the 70s, aaargh Mr Pirate) to get the left eye to look a little more normal.

Odd thing is that both eyes look grand in any old photos. Still don't use my left eye at all really (it works, I just don't really use it:D). Depth perception is presumably a little lacking as a result. Left eye is still a wee bit lazy. Right eye is perfect (or was, haven't had them checked since I got my first driving licence). You'd probably never notice if I never mentioned it. Too late now.

[1] I've often wondered if kids who wore such a patch suffered any learning difficulties as a result of having their good eye covered, even with glasses to compensate. I didn't really (IMHO:D) but I wonder if others did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

i have a cateract in my left eye
    astigmatism inmy right eye , i wear glasses , at 21 i cant get a drivers license :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Lazy eye in my right eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

is short sighted that you can see stuff near you etc? i haven't had my eyes checked in about 10 years ago wen i'd hav been 10 an it was perfect. i'd say i need readin glasses though specially for far away stuff on boards an stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

very short sighted. without glasses or contacts i'd need a braille monitor :D:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

really short sighted, never met ne1 with a worse myope, my myopes r -6.5 and -6:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Haven't had my eye sight checked in probably 12 years or something, but they work grand. Everyone else in my immediate family wears glasses and/or contacts. That's gotta be strange, or is it me? Sometimes I think I can see through stuff too. That could possibly be alcohol-related though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I have an astigmatism, meaning i cant really focus on things too well.
    Otherwise i have 20/20 vision, and i also have eerily good night vision, and my eyes are incredibly sensitive to strong lighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sticklebrick777

very short sighted. right - 4.5 left - 4.25.
    i wear contacts most of the time. hate wearing glasses.
    im on antibiotics at the minute so i cant wear contacts for a while
    or they'll will turn pink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

Perfect sight, never had problems with sight, checkups always fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

stop rubbing it in boober :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Used to have near perfect sight, but the last few years I've been using computers a huge amount, I think they're ruining my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I have a refractive type lazy right eye but my left eye is almost perfect with lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Unsighted in left eye due to optic nerve damage from accident about 15yrs ago. Before the accident the sight in my right eye was not great, but improved to almost perfect vision within months of the accident, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I am shortsighted since my mid teens and have the same prescription for the past 10 years. My hubby is the same so i'm saving for our kids glasses already.
    My sister is shortsighted and my mother is recently long sighted.
    My father is totally blind since he was in his mid teens because of glaucoma which is curable now but what can you do. He did his leaving cert, matric (of those of you who remember this), went to uni and qualified as a professional. He set up his own business and is still working eventhough he's of retirement age. As you can tell i'm extremely proud of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Am totally blind in my right eye due to a failed detatched retina repair operation, my left eye I have minor tunnel vision in because of 19 years of Glaucoma and a repaired detatched retina operation. I also have cateract in both eyes.

I've about 6/60 vision in the centre of my field of vision in my left eye which deteriorates as you move to periferal vision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Slightly colourblind but thats all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Quite shortsighted - am -7 to - 8 in my eyes. I wear contacts sometimes and wear glasses most of the time and have done so since I was 6. I get my eyes checked on a yearly basis as I am diabetic. My eyesight has stayed at about the same level for the past 6 years.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Quite blind too and as luck would have it too blind for lasrer surgery and they haven't come up with a way of getting prisms in to contact lenses ,Dam physics.

-11 in left eye and -8 I think in right eye

3^ prism too (I think!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Very badly short-sighted - When asked to read the chart unaided, I can just about get the big 'A' at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,261 ✭✭✭✭Victor

RainyDay wrote:
    Very badly short-sighted - When asked to read the chart unaided, I can just about get the big 'A' at the top.
    Thats not that bad. I only make the second or third line. Although when I had a check-up at the start of the year, with lenses I was able to start on the bottom line, at which point I was told "OK, shut up now". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

i think i have close to perfect sight but i haven't been tested that recently. i think i lost my perfect sight when i was studying for the leaving cert as some of the notes we used to get we're in a size 8 font (french notes).

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

Very short sighted. -5.00 for my left and -4.5 for my right. i've been using contacts for over 10 years so it has become so routine to put them on in the morning that i don't even think about it anymore. I first noticed how bad it was when I was doing my Junior cert many years ago. I was in the mechanical drawing exam and i dropped my only backup led for my pencil on the floor, i had to get someone else to find it for me during the exam:D

Advertisement