Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bryanodowd

Text service just kept repeating the service improvement line, then when checked account said no details unless want mobile/multi-room tv! Will be calling to give notice. Shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Lads Im so wary about moving to Sky Broadband from Virgin as I dont want to regret it for 12 months, Currently on VM240 and Sky Fibre will only be 80 but at €50 for TV and Broadband its hard to turn down, anyone in the same dilmemma?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭4real

Lads Im so wary about moving to Sky Broadband from Virgin as I dont want to regret it for 12 months, Currently on VM240 and Sky Fibre will only be 80 but at €50 for TV and Broadband its hard to turn down, anyone in the same dilmemma?

i have signed up to sky and they will not install my services until december when i go out of contract with virgin.

I will test their broadband speed as one can cancel within 14 days cooling off period. i can then go back to virgin if i wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭podge3

4real wrote: »
    ...as one can cancel within 14 days cooling off period. i can then go back to virgin if i wish.
    Are you sure on this?

Pure Telecom told me that the 14 days starts as soon as you sign the contract, not from the install date.

i have signed up to sky and they will not install my services until december when i go out of contract with virgin.

I will test their broadband speed as one can cancel within 14 days cooling off period. i can then go back to virgin if i wish.

Why are sky waiting until then to install, I was told mine would take 5-10 business days? I'm pretty sure the 14 days is from install date as that when your billing will start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Yep! Definitely don’t want to change to Sky broadband as work a lot from home and can’t risk any interruptions during install or slower speeds etc.
    Priced everything with Sky and also the tv separate. I’d like to try Sky Q but not pushed either way for tv.

Sent some texts to the text line and ended up being offered either broadband only at 9 months half price, or broadband and tv at 9 months half price. Ends up being 175 a year cheaper to stay as I am rather than spilt tv to Sky and Virgin for broadband.

I guess it depends on how reliant you are on the broadband. Definitely for us Virgin is the best in the area though.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭4real

podge3 wrote: »
    Are you sure on this?

Pure Telecom told me that the 14 days starts as soon as you sign the contract, not from the install date.

Cancellation period: You have the right to cancel your order for TV services, a Sky dish, a Sky Q box or other products
    (e.g. extra remote controls) or any DVD or Blu-ray purchased with any content via Sky Store (where you had the option
    to purchase a digital only version of the content) without giving any reason any time up to 14 days (“cooling off
    period”) from the later of: (i) delivery; (ii) installation; or (iii) confirmation in writing of the relevant terms and conditions
    for that product (which includes making the terms and conditions available to you in My Sky).

sillysocks wrote: »
    Yep! Definitely don’t want to change to Sky broadband as work a lot from home and can’t risk any interruptions during install or slower speeds etc.
    Priced everything with Sky and also the tv separate. I’d like to try Sky Q but not pushed either way for tv.

Sent some texts to the text line and ended up being offered either broadband only at 9 months half price, or broadband and tv at 9 months half price. Ends up being 175 a year cheaper to stay as I am rather than spilt tv to Sky and Virgin for broadband.

I guess it depends on how reliant you are on the broadband. Definitely for us Virgin is the best in the area though.

You see if they offered me 9 months half price I would stay but the best they will do is 6 months half price, it annoys me more when I see others getting the 9 months thats plus my wife wants TV back and if I am gonna pay for TV I want a decent service and not that crap horizon box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

Hi, just want to say many thanks for this thread. We're in late 60's and are only getting used to forums etc. Been VM customers since it began as Horizon but foolishly have never looked for discounts before, just paid up. When I saw this thread I decided to ring VM last week to see what reduction I could get. We have full bundle plus sky sports as my husband loves sport and as he's not too well, it keeps him occupied. Was offered small discount for 6 months, said I'd think about it but when I saw the text number I contacted them yesterday to see could I do better. I eventually got a reduction of 33 euro for 9 months and 18 euro for 3 months, making a saving of 351.00 for the year so thank you all. I'll also remember to contact them next year when contract due for renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭testtech05

Hi Guys, can these deals be done over chat or text? Seem to keep getting referred to 1908 but cant call as I am away for work for a few days and would like to get sorted asap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

testtech05 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, can these deals be done over chat or text? Seem to keep getting referred to 1908 but cant call as I am away for work for a few days and would like to get sorted asap.

Yeah I have been doing mine over text on the mobile number 0861802267

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

testtech05 wrote: »

I was told the same there. Said they can't do it by message. Will try again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭testtech05

pc7 wrote: »
    Yeah I have been doing mine over text on the mobile number 0861802267

The number I was using was from the website 0861802235. Might try the other one tomorrow.

I've just been told there is no increase coming on my account (I am on 360MB BB and phone which i dont use) and also that I am in contract until December so back to the drawing board......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

jonnybravo wrote: »
    I was told the same there. Said they can't do it by message. Will try again tomorrow.

First time I rang, then I used text, found it better by text because I had their offer in writing and to be honest I forgot some of what the rep was offering when I rang. Good luck!

Cancellation period: You have the right to cancel your order for TV services, a Sky dish, a Sky Q box or other products
    (e.g. extra remote controls) or any DVD or Blu-ray purchased with any content via Sky Store (where you had the option
    to purchase a digital only version of the content) without giving any reason any time up to 14 days (“cooling off
    period”) from the later of: (i) delivery; (ii) installation; or (iii) confirmation in writing of the relevant terms and conditions
    for that product (which includes making the terms and conditions available to you in My Sky).
    I had Pure clarify this again today i.e. the cooling off period starts as soon as you sign the contract.

So you really don't have any chance to check their service as the installation will not be completed within the 14 days. Seems strange to me that Comreg will allow this but thats the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

podge3 wrote: »
    I had Pure clarify this again today i.e. the cooling off period starts as soon as you sign the contract.

So you really don't have any chance to check their service as the installation will not be completed within the 14 days. Seems strange to me that Comreg will allow this but thats the way it is.

So there's a minimum two week wait time between signing contract and installation? Is that not a bit excessive?

So there's a minimum two week wait time between signing contract and installation? Is that not a bit excessive?
    Thats was Pure told me via email i.e.

"The cooling off period is 14 days from when you place the order so when the line is live, the cooling off period will be over"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

podge3 wrote:
    "The cooling off period is 14 days from when you place the order so when the line is live, the cooling off period will be over"

That's not legally enforceable. It can only start from the date you start receiving the service. I'd say they just made a mistake in the mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Darby_321

Hi guys, i was reading this thread about virgin increasing their prices but i got no notice of it so i went online and talked to a virgin assistant to check would my bill be rising. She said that the price increase does not affect me. I am on the naked 240mb broadband and now currently paying €54 a month and contract isnt up until march. Is there anything i can do now to get the better offers i.e 6 month half price or 9 month half price, or should i just wait until closer to the time when my contract is up and try then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

12 months half price when I rang and told them to cancel my account

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

ec18 wrote: »

wow that's amazing! fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

Didn't know that they could offer 12 months half price.

Will try to push for it when it's time to renew the contract next year ;)

dubrov wrote: »
    That's not legally enforceable. It can only start from the date you start receiving the service. I'd say they just made a mistake in the mail.
    I queried it and it was confirmed a second time by a "Senior Residential Sales Agent"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Question for people who got a deal, did you receive anything to confirm it? I got a deal at the end of last week on the phone, but haven't recieved any confirmation of it and don't see any changes on my account. Thanks.

I agreed deal by text yesterday and got email this morning confirming all, maybe check your spam folder?

How long do text replies take?

tested today and yesterday and each time they told me I needed to ring 1908

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

What package are you on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

tested today and yesterday and each time they told me I needed to ring 1908

Yeh me to.

• Advertisement