Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    The C4 is going to route through Leixlip, negating any gains by bypassing Chapelizod.

There seems to be a fair bit of NIMBYism from Celbridge commuters towards the detour via Leixlip, but you need to look at the big picture to understand why the detour exists. Going to Leixlip means the C4 replaces and provides much better coverage to Castletown currently serviced by the once-hourly-and-not-Sunday 66b, and combined with the C3 extends the part of Leixlip which is afforded high-frequency service from just the very far end of the village by Mill Lane, and up towards the housing estates.
    Zebra3 wrote: »
    North Kildare services going through Lucan village is madness.

Well, what sort of alternative option did you suggest? Perhaps a combination of things such as taking the C2 from the barely-built sections of north Adamstown and instead running it past SuperValu and up into Lucan village to terminate instead; and adding a G3 to split off from the G2 along Thomas Omer and Adamstown Avenue into Adamstown itself. Then the C3/C4 could possibly be made to bypass Lucan village.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Well, what sort of alternative option did you suggest? Perhaps a combination of things such as taking the C2 from the barely-built sections of north Adamstown and instead running it past SuperValu and up into Lucan village to terminate instead; and adding a G3 to split off from the G2 along Thomas Omer and Adamstown Avenue into Adamstown itself. Then the C3/C4 could possibly be made to bypass Lucan village.

I think it should be totally fine for the C3/4 to go through Lucan, as the services they are replacing also do this.

It's the peak-only routes going there that seems pretty unnecessary - specifically 323 (from Maynooth), 324 (from Celbridge), 325, 326 (both from Leixlip). Lucan itself already has the 322, as well as the 321 serving the parts of Lucan south of the N4. The 325 or the 326 going through Lucan would probably also be okay, but it seems overkill to send the Maynooth and Celbridge services through there too (in addition to the C3/4) when they don't currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Vt tri axle buses up for sale model 1 to 20 are going.

They will be missed.

sharper wrote: »
    The C3 is absolutely superior to the 66. More direct and more frequent.

The C4 is slightly more complicated. It removes chapelizoid but adds Leixlip. It might work out faster overall but still not as improved as it could be. Frequency is also better except for Sundays.

The C3 is still less direct than the existing 66x though because the C3 will go through Lucan. From a peak time commute perspective that's a step backwards.

As I mentioned elsewhere I consider more direct and more frequent C3 a reasonable replacement for the 66x but ultimately that's subjective to me and not something I can really dispute if someone else feels differently about.

My commute is also different to some others in this thread. I get the 66X from the city centre and not UCD. That has the effect of making the 323 totally useless for me because the only 66X departures you can actually use in the city centre are the ones that depart from Westmoreland street, not UCD. The others will be full before reaching the city centre (and the others are often full or at least packed within two stops, hence everyone's confusion about them being downgraded).

It's a nuanced change that really depends on what you use the X services for. If you're a passenger that's going to the intended terminus of UCD, then there very arguably won't be any affect on journey time - the extra detour through Lucan is balanced out by the time gained by taking a quicker route in the city centre. If you're using it to go to the city centre, then yeah, it'll probably lengthen your journey time if you continue to stick with that route. If we can get even more enhancements to the Hazelhatch line frequency though, it starts to become a question of "why wouldn't you take the train?" because that will be a quicker journey than any existing option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's a nuanced change that really depends on what you use the X services for. If you're a passenger that's going to the intended terminus of UCD, then there very arguably won't be any affect on journey time - the extra detour through Lucan is balanced out by the time gained by taking a quicker route in the city centre. If you're using it to go to the city centre, then yeah, it'll probably lengthen your journey time if you continue to stick with that route. If we can get even more enhancements to the Hazelhatch line frequency though, it starts to become a question of "why wouldn't you take the train?" because that will be a quicker journey than any existing option.

The X services aren't taking a quicker route to the city centre under bus connects. They already bypass Lucan and Chapelizoid. Under bus connects they no longer bypass Lucan and in the case of Celbridge also go through Leixlip. If you're a Celbridge user in particular that's a pretty big negative for your daily commute each way on an already long route.

Infrastructure improvements are nice and everything but we don't even have detailed plans for these let alone timescales for implementation.

I like bus connects but I don't think commuting was seen as any sort of priority in the plans. I also don't think overall journey length was seen as important. Further out areas should certainly be using trains instead but we don't have the infrastructure for that either and we're even further away from having a plan for that.

If I was building busconnects I'd build the network plan they produced then overlay the peak time commuter based services on top of that. If you can win over existing commuters (let's say most of the existing taxsaver owning population) that gives you a large base of support to get the rest of the plan through. As things change and other improvements make the peak time services less needed you can reduce them.

The X services aren't taking a quicker route to the city centre under bus connects. They already bypass Lucan and Chapelizoid. Under bus connects they no longer bypass Lucan and in the case of Celbridge also go through Leixlip. If you're a Celbridge user in particular that's a pretty big negative for your daily commute each way on an already long route.

:confused: Why are you replying to my post with that when I specifically said it in the post? Did you misread what I said?
    Infrastructure improvements are nice and everything but we don't even have detailed plans for these let alone timescales for implementation.

No, well we don't have detailed plans or timescales for any of BusConnects anymore. I'd be pretty sure the infrastructure plans would have been inextricably linked to the network change though. A lot of the network redesign was impossible without them (lots of contraflow lanes needed, for example).
    I like bus connects but I don't think commuting was seen as any sort of priority in the plans. I also don't think overall journey length was seen as important. Further out areas should certainly be using trains instead but we don't have the infrastructure for that either and we're even further away from having a plan for that.

Two things I'd disagree with - first is that commuting wasn't a priority. I think it absolutely was, but with the expectations that (a) people need more diverse routes like orbitals to connect them with their workplaces (b) interchanging needs to be accepted as common practice. I mean, their interactive map was specifically designed to mention the number of extra jobs reached (or vice versa), so it was definitely a very big priority.

Journey time certainly wasn't a priority, that's for sure, and that's because it's been widely measured that frequency and reliability have a much greater impact on service sentiment than journey time changes (at least within a certain range). People are more likely to switch from commuting with a car to the bus if they can rely upon a bus turning up quickly when they go to a stop (this has been proven to work in Dublin with the relatively slow, but high frequency Luas). And people who already use buses are on average more concerned with frequency and capacity than journey times too.

Leading on from that point - if improving frequency is a better encourager for moving people from cars to buses, then it'll also have a side-effect of improving journey times (because fewer cars will be on the roads).
    If I was building busconnects I'd build the network plan they produced then overlay the peak time commuter based services on top of that. If you can win over existing commuters (let's say most of the existing taxsaver owning population) that gives you a large base of support to get the rest of the plan through. As things change and other improvements make the peak time services less needed you can reduce them.

The problem wasn't necessarily that people weren't won over, it's just that a very vocal section of people were really annoyed. People are generally very silent about things that they're happy with, which is one of the problems with our various planning systems.

But to your point, it seemed to me that they were very much open to adjusting lots of the BusConnects network, Walker himself said:
    How much change could we make to the plan in response to public comment?

[...] if you change more than about 15% of the network it will fall apart. But 15% is not minor. While the plan is a dramatic change, at least half of it consists of service on streets served now, doing something much like what it does now. So compared to the amount of the network we’re actually changing, 15% is very substantial.

[...]we will make changes. Quite possibly lots of them.

I don't want to go back and forth endlessly making the same points but
    :confused: Why are you replying to my post with that when I specifically said it in the post? Did you misread what I said?

I was replying to where you said
    It's a nuanced change that really depends on what you use the X services for. If you're a passenger that's going to the intended terminus of UCD, then there very arguably won't be any affect on journey time - the extra detour through Lucan is balanced out by the time gained by taking a quicker route in the city centre.

The X service changes don't have any balancing going on, they're just longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Daemonic

You'll also be able to get on the 259 or W8 to Hazelhatch (approx 6 minute journey), and then take a 21-25 minute train into the city. Even including the Bus Eireann 120, that'd be by far your quickest journey. And it will hopefully only cost a single 90 minute flat-fare too!

That's an optimistic train journey. Current train times from Hazelhatch to Connolly (the most likely stop for anyone taking rail instead of a current 67X) is between 35-40 minutes. Only 5-10 minutes less than the time it currently takes to get from Celbridge main street to Bachelor's Walk without adding in the additional time commuting to and from Hazelhatch station and the likely waiting time for the 259/W8.

I think a lot of the frustration is when services which are currently working as well as can be hoped for within the constraints of Dublin traffic etc. are seemingly going to dis-improve.
    Absolutely improve the elements that need it, i.e. why route every X through the city centre to get to UCD, as anyone who takes these routes will know the buses are practically empty by the time they cross the river so a huge part of their market is city centre commuters.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

bk wrote: »
    Would you look at the size of the "front garden" of this lady who is complaining. That isn't a garden, that is a car park that can fit 10 cars!!

And her back garden is double that size again. Just shows the insane NIMBYism

image.jpg

Oh, yes, that will do nicely. I reckon you could fit two bus lanes in there and still have enough space for another house. That will do nicely indeed.

• Advertisement

I don't want to go back and forth endlessly making the same points but

I was replying to where you said

The X service changes don't have any balancing going on, they're just longer.

Nope, that's not accurate - the X services all go down the Quays and cross at O'Connell Bridge, then through College Green. This is by far the most congested part of the city.

In contrast, the 32something services that are going to UCD all skip this section - instead they cross the Liffey at Bridge Street, then down to Kevin Street and across Stephen's Green that way. This is a far less congested route, and I would imagine would be accompanied by infra changes to Kevin St, and I estimated above that it could shave something like 9 minutes off of the city centre portion of these Kildare to UCD journeys. Which would essentially balance out the effect of going through Lucan.

Nope, that's not accurate - the X services all go down the Quays and cross at O'Connell Bridge, then through College Green. This is by far the most congested part of the city.

Personally I find the impact of that change hard to predict given all the other changes that will also be happening so I haven't really been considering it.

Daemonic wrote: »
    That's an optimistic train journey. Current train times from Hazelhatch to Connolly (the most likely stop for anyone taking rail instead of a current 67X) is between 35-40 minutes. Only 5-10 minutes less than the time it currently takes to get from Celbridge main street to Bachelor's Walk without adding in the additional time commuting to and from Hazelhatch station and the likely waiting time for the 259/W8.

Yeah but a reason most people take the train the whole way to Connolly is because of the lack of a 90 minute flat-fare. It looks like we might even get one of those without BusConnects, which would be excellent, but it would mean you'd be far more likely to get off at Heuston and use the Luas if you wanted to go to Connolly or beyond.

Hazelhatch to Heuston times are much much closer to 20-25 minutes.

Personally I find the impact of that change hard to predict given all the other changes that will also be happening so I haven't really been considering it.

Well it's still a change that is happening, and if you left everything else in place and routed the 67X that way, for example, you would almost certainly see an 8-10 minute journey time saving.

But then, even if those routes still went down to O'Connell Bridge, BusConnects infrastructure changes would have almost certainly have forced through the Quays car ban, which would speed up journey times that way too!

Which does make me wonder why we got the network changes put up for consultation without knowing the infrastructure plan. I think they should have been presented in parallel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I want BC to come in, I think we need it and overall it'll be much improved to what we have but that times article shows they are already going arseways about it. BC due to commence in 2020 but the bus lanes won't be started until 2021 :rolleyes:

I guess Jarret will be looking more at a Wellington than an Auckland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Yeah but a reason most people take the train the whole way to Connolly is because of the lack of a 90 minute flat-fare. It looks like we might even get one of those without BusConnects, which would be excellent, but it would mean you'd be far more likely to get off at Heuston and use the Luas if you wanted to go to Connolly or beyond.

Hazelhatch to Heuston times are much much closer to 20-25 minutes.
    You're joking right? You're on the train, maybe even managed to get a seat and you'll voluntarily get off at Heuston to get a packed Luas which will take 20 minutes to get you to Connolly anyway??

I agree with the majority of your points on this thread but disingenuous use of journey times to Heuston which is not the city centre does your posts a disservice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Daemonic wrote: »
    You're joking right? You're on the train, maybe even managed to get a seat and you'll voluntarily get off at Heuston to get a packed Luas which will take 20 minutes to get you to Connolly anyway??

I agree with the majority of your points on this thread but disingenuous use of journey times to Heuston which is not the city centre does your posts a disservice.

Why not have it like in London where a Day travel card which could be valid on Luas, Bus, DART and commuter trains is included in the price of a train ticket particularly for those travelling longer distances from outside the short hop zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Well, what sort of alternative option did you suggest?

North Kildare services should bypass Lucan village using the N4. Anybody wanting out for Lucan village can get off at the N4 and take the short stroll down to the village.

Huge time savings to be had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Would you look at the size of the "front garden" of this lady who is complaining. That isn't a garden, that is a car park that can fit 10 cars!!

image.jpg
    And you can be absolutely certain that the IT photographer knew that would be the exact response to that carefully positioned photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And you can be absolutely certain that the IT photographer knew that would be the exact response to that carefully positioned photo.

I wouldn’t bet on it.

Probably took it at that angle so people would be concerned about her garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

image.jpg

I had a lucky escape as I nearly bought a house in that road three years ago. The extensive front parking was an attraction. Not all of the houses have extensive back gardens. I’m in favour of BusConnects. Many of these houses have been brought back into family ownership and there will be substantial compensation to be paid - they are protected structures with limited ability for appropriate sound proofing. Post BusConnects, they should be delisted and permitted to be broken up into multiple units. A properly integrated solution to the loss of space in the front.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

image.jpg

So? Would you rather on street parking?

Or maybe there's a middle ground 🀔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Marcusm wrote: »
    they are protected structures with limited ability for appropriate sound proofing. Post BusConnects, they should be delisted and permitted to be broken up into multiple units. A properly integrated solution to the loss of space in the front.
    'Limited ability' or just 'much more expensive solutions', same as pretty much anything to do with a listed property.

But I don't see the connection at all between BusConnects and protecting the property. If the property is worth protection, why would we need to drop that connection?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd rather she took the bus :P

But in all seriousness they are only talking about taking a few meters, she will still be able to park a half a dozen cars there. So cry me a river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Qrt

I'd rather she took the bus :P

But in all seriousness they are only talking about taking a few meters, she will still be able to park a half a dozen cars there. So cry me a river.

As far as I remember, that's Terenure Road East. Quick look on street view and it seems to have bus lanes in both directions, so we're talking around 3m (2m ideal cycle path, NTA seem to be going for less, and a metre to play with for bus stop bypasses etc.)

I'm sure they'll all survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

'Limited ability' or just 'much more expensive solutions', same as pretty much anything to do with a listed property.

But I don't see the connection at all between BusConnects and protecting the property. If the property is worth protection, why would we need to drop that connection?

In some circumstances you are able to retrofit this double glazing within the original sash windows but unless the windows themselves are completely rotten you won’t be abl to change them or the doors. The result of this is limited ability irrespective of cost which can be spent. As regards the protection, I don’t think it should be rescinded but recognising that the reduction of th appurtenant land by definition is a serious change to the heritage structure, better, to my mind, to consider what other changes might be more easily facilitated to ensure that the external views of the building suffer limited changes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Looking at Google Maps, her front garden is 350 sq metres. She could build a tennis court on it. After building a tennis court, if the dimensions were more suitable, she could then build a car park with space for six cars with the area left over — a 4.5m lane in the middle for access with three spaces on either side.

Her back garden is even bigger.

Cry me a river.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/blind-man-s-view-busconnects-fails-me-it-should-be-all-inclusive-1.3670960

Hold on a second - this is an article claiming that a blind man who currently gets the 14 from Collins Avenue and changes to the Luas at Connolly to get to Spencer Dock will now have to walk to a different bus stop and get a bus to Artane, then a bus to town and then the Luas. The pretext being that BusConnects hasn't thought about its disabled users. Even ignoring that this pretext doesn't really make sense and this is a whole lot of hot air without remotely pretending to have a better idea - if he used to get the 14 from Collins Ave will he not now be able to get the N4 from Collins Avenue straight to work!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Daith

Podge_irl wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/blind-man-s-view-busconnects-fails-me-it-should-be-all-inclusive-1.3670960

Hold on a second - this is an article claiming that a blind man who currently gets the 14 from Collins Avenue and changes to the Luas at Connolly to get to Spencer Dock will now have to walk to a different bus stop and get a bus to Artane, then a bus to town and then the Luas. The pretext being that BusConnects hasn't thought about its disabled users. Even ignoring that this pretext doesn't really make sense and this is a whole lot of hot air without remotely pretending to have a better idea - if he used to get the 14 from Collins Ave will he not now be able to get the N4 from Collins Avenue straight to work!?

That's exactly what I thought? It would be an improvement for him? I still don't see how he would need to change in Artane either? He could still get a bus and transfer to Luas in Abbey St I think?

Daith wrote: »
    That's exactly what I thought? It would be an improvement for him? I still don't see how he would need to change in Artane either? He could still get a bus and transfer to Luas in Abbey St I think?

I think it is suggesting he would have to get the N6 up to Artane roundabout and then change to a D spine and then change to a Luas. That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense though. Now, if he is currently boarding on Beaumont Road, rather than Collins Avenue as in the article, between the hospital and the current 14 terminus then he would have something of a point. Either way though it is a terrible article that is full of factual errors.

We are talking a very small section of the 14 route that is not replaced by either the A1 or the N4 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think it is suggesting he would have to get the N6 up to Artane roundabout and then change to a D spine and then change to a Luas. That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense though. Now, if he is currently boarding on Beaumont Road, rather than Collins Avenue as in the article, between the hospital and the current 14 terminus then he would have something of a point. Either way though it is a terrible article that is full of factual errors.

We are talking a very small section of the 14 route that is not replaced by either the A1 or the N4 though.

Yet another case of someone not understanding the plan.

But I'm gonna say what you're apparently not allowed say in this debate: even if it did screw this one person into a six change journey, that's not reason to stop or even alter the plan.

There are always going to be outliers like this, is the press seriously suggesting that because of a hand full of people, even if a few of them are disabled, we should scrap or dismantle a plan that helps millions?

I'm baffled that they are seriously doing a front page story on how a major strategic change affects ONE PERSON! ONE PERSON! My respect for the Irish media gets lower and lower each day, this is Joe Duffy level stuff.

It's not going to be possible to tweak a major strategic plan that affects millions for every unusual journey pattern of specific individuals...how do they not get this? I understand why the politicians are exploiting this, they are using it for PR to get their faces out in public esp the newbies, but journos seem to honestly not understand that my journey from Sligo to Belfast not having a direct route by rail is not reason to build a track!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'd be interested in seeing the cross over of those happy to see that persons property CPD'd for BusConnect for the greater good of those that travel down that road, but not happy to see College Green turned into a Plaza, for the greater good of the city.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

“BusConnects fails me. But I don’t think the plan should change to facilitate just me. The plan should be all-inclusive.”

I don't get this. I don't think that he's looking for a bus network, he's looking for a taxi.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hurrache wrote: »
    I'd be interested in seeing the cross over of those happy to see that persons property CPD'd for BusConnect for the greater good of those that travel down that road, but not happy to see College Green turned into a Plaza, for the greater good of the city.

Happy to see that person's property CPO'd for BusConnect (not as a fúck you to that person, just in general I don't have a problem with CPOing land/property to facilitate public transport).

I don't go down that road.
    College Green - I am mixed on it. I haven't read all the plans for it so can't really form a full opinion on it but whilst I like the idea of pedestrianising it, a lot of buses go through there at the moment and moving them from there will probably negatively affect journey times/congestion for the bus network. If it can be done in a way that won't negatively affect the bus network too much, I'm for it. Otherwise I'd be reluctantly against it.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I don't get this. I don't think that he's looking for a bus network, he's looking for a taxi.

It is just another way of saying "I think the plan should be built around me but I know that sounds absurd so I will phrase it differently".

Kinda irrelevant - if that person's property is CPO'd for BusConnects, then it means the rest of BusConnects is going ahead. If the rest of BusConnects is going ahead, then it means that all bus routes that pass east-west through College Green will be removed, and extra infrastructure provided on the alternate routes in order to accommodate the extra buses. Which means that the only practical objections to the College Green plaza are solved.

So, if you're in favour of BusConnects, there's really no reason to not be in favour of the plaza. You can certainly insist the Plaza be dependent on BusConnects though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

And equally one street is not going to prevent the rest of BusConnects going ahead.

But it's not really irrelevant. You have people, almost gleefully, saying yeah, take some of their property away, they have enough, and it's for the greater good. But they can also argue that hang on, don't give aside that bit of space in the centre of Dublin to the people of the city, it should be left in the domain of cars and buses as it has a knock of affect on my journey times.

A person losing some of their property, permanently, vs a persons travel time affected, twice a day. Take away that bit of space, it'll affect my journey time. Don't take that bit of space away, it'll affect my journey time.

I just find it ironic.

And equally one street is not going to prevent the rest of BusConnects going ahead.

Well it is going to prevent a substantial portion of it from working, but you do you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Qrt

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/busconnects-plan-shows-disregard-for-disabled-and-elderly-says-mcgrath-1.3670929
    In another case, the planned removal of the 104 bus route will mean students who can currently travel between Clontarf and DCU in neighbouring northside Glasnevin will in future have to journey into the city centre and take a bus back out again.

Is someone going to tell him that the N4 will go by DCU, after it goes by Clontarf Road station?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

But it's not really irrelevant. You have people, almost gleefully, saying yeah, take some of their property away, they have enough, and it's for the greater good. But they can also argue that hang on, don't give aside that bit of space in the centre of Dublin to the people of the city, it should be left in the domain of cars and buses as it has a knock of affect on my journey times.

A person losing some of their property, permanently, vs a persons travel time affected, twice a day. Take away that bit of space, it'll affect my journey time. Don't take that bit of space away, it'll affect my journey time.

I just find it ironic.

Personally I'm in favour of both the the BusConnects CPOing and College Green.

However there is nothing ironic about the above. The BusConnects CPO's are pretty clear cut, it is some individuals losing a slither of land (and getting handsomely paid for it) for the benefit of thousands of bus commuters.

It is a clear case of the needs of the many being more important then the needs of the few.

College Green isn't so clear cut. On the one hand many would benefit from a nice plaza in the center of the city, but on the other hands, tens of thousands might have their bus journeys severely impacted if the alternative routes aren't carefully planned for.

On the balance in this instance, it is a lot more difficult to say which group is the many and which is the few.

So really nothing ironic about that.

I'd suspect most bus users would be very much in favour of College Green, if it also goes hand in hand with a comprehensive plan for the buses too. Two way on Parliament Street, cars removed from the Quays, Quay footpaths widened, etc.

It is clear to me, that the mistake made with College Green, is that we need a master plan for the entire city. For the removal of cars and the improvement of footpaths, cyclepaths and bus lanes all over the city center and not just College Green, which should make up just one part of that plan.

Count me down as another person in favour of the BusConnects CPOing and the CG plaza, by the way.

Interesting to see the NTA figuring out how to use twitter

https://twitter.com/dermotog/status/1054308228425768960

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Unfortunately one of the most pro-active critics of BusConnects, a FF activist, cannot bring themselves to admit they got it wrong.

https://twitter.com/LukeMartin_DL/status/1054294583864147968

After it's proven to be incorrect, they resort to deflection rather than admit their scaremongering.
    https://twitter.com/LukeMartin_DL/status/1054326944748187650

By the by - Mr Murray is photographed by the Irish Times standing at stop 1190 - this should clear up any vagueness as to where he gets on the bus. In this case, the gentleman would not have to walk any further to catch the bus, he could walk to the same 1190 stop, and get on the N4 directly to Spencer Dock. I think it's absolutely appalling behavior by the Irish Times to (a) not fact-check this but more importantly (b) not to contact Mr Murray and give him corrected information.

It seems to me that the publication of an article with an clickbaiting headline was more important to the Irish Times editors and journalists than the truth. This is just another little peak behind the curtain of the dumpster fire that is Irish journalism.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

By the by - Mr Murray is photographed by the Irish Times standing at stop 1190 - this should clear up any vagueness as to where he gets on the bus. In this case, the gentleman would not have to walk any further to catch the bus, he could walk to the same 1190 stop, and get on the N4 directly to Spencer Dock. I think it's absolutely appalling behavior by the Irish Times to (a) not fact-check this but more importantly (b) not to contact Mr Murray and give him corrected information.

It seems to me that the publication of an article with an clickbaiting headline was more important to the Irish Times editors and journalists than the truth. This is just another little peak behind the curtain of the dumpster fire that is Irish journalism.

Yeah, that's despicable really. Either they abandoned all journalistic integrity in not doing the very minimum of fact checking, or they abandoned all journalistic integrity in knowing that he was wrong and not informing him of that fact.

• Advertisement

devnull wrote: »
    Unfortunately one of the most pro-active critics of BusConnects, a FF activist, cannot bring themselves to admit they got it wrong.

You'd imagine the real story is a vulnerable member of society being needlessly distressed by incorrect information that certainly did not originate with the NTA.

That same person was then motivated to campaign against their own interest stop something that improves their transport links.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yeah, that's despicable really. Either they abandoned all journalistic integrity in not doing the very minimum of fact checking, or they abandoned all journalistic integrity in knowing that he was wrong and not informing him of that fact.

Fact checking and perspective when it comes to infrastructure projects in Ireland is on existing. Joan Burton was ranting in the Dail about how outrageous it was that Jarrett Walker was paid €615k for this project. I would doubt that she checked this price compared to similar vendors or comparative international examples of money spent on similar amount of work

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Even the headline itself is quite badly written, referring to a blind man, then the next word being view. Honestly it doesn't say too much about the standards of Irish journalism, where for too long, people are able to say something and there is no fact checking at all, just someone said it, so we'll take their word for it.

That's what frustrates me about BusConnects coverage in general, no journalists seem to be challenging anything which either side says, literally just giving the statements attention no matter how wild or inaccurate they are.hat the person said,

Then you have the likes of RTE that are addicted to paraphrasing.

I also don't get the objection that they didn't reach out to disability groups. A better bus network will be better for everyone, including disabled groups.

Will some people, including disabled people, have to interchange? Yes.
    Do some disabled people have to interchange now? Yes.
    Will some people be worse off under BusConnects? Yes.
    Will some people be better off under BusConnects? Yes.

If we have to have a bus service that caters for absolutely everyone, then we'll have a bus service so bad that nobody will use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Will some people, including disabled people, have to interchange? Yes.
    Do some disabled people have to interchange now? Yes.
    Will some people be worse off under BusConnects? Yes.
    Will some people be better off under BusConnects? Yes.

Will anyone step up to the plate and propose a Dial-A-Bus service? No
    Why ? Because they are crocodile tears
    Why ? Because it serves their political interests to tear things down when it's proposed by the other side

• Advertisement
Advertisement