Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Gloucester, Sat 20th Oct 1pm, VM One / BT Sport 2

Options
  • 19-10-2018 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Munster:
    Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Darren Sweetnam; Joey Carbery, Duncan Williams;
    James Cronin, Rhys Marshall, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), Tommy O’Donnell, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Dave Kilcoyne, Stephen Archer, Billy Holland, Arno Botha, Alby Mathewson, JJ Hanrahan, Sammy Arnold.

Gloucester:
    15. Jason Woodward; 14. Matt Banahan, 13. Billy Twelvetrees, 12. Mark Atkinson, 11. Tom Marshall; 10. Danny Cipriani, 9. Callum Braley;
    1. Josh Hohneck, 2. Franco Marais, 3. Fraser Balmain; 4. Tom Savage, 5. Ed Slater (capt); 6. Freddie Clarke, 7. Jake Polledri, 8. Ben Morgan

Henry Walker, 17. Val Rapava Ruskin, 18. Ciaran Knight, 19. Gerbrandt Grobler, 20. Gareth Evans, 21. Ben Vellacott, 22. Owen Williams, 23. Tom Hudson

Unavailable for selection:
    Ruan Ackermann, Gareth Denman, Ruan Dreyer, James Hanson, Willi Heinz, Jaco Kriel, Lewis Ludlow, Paddy McAllister, Will Safe, Charlie Sharples, Henry Trinder

Munster host Gloucester who come to Thomond Park on the back of a win at home against Castres. Munster are expected to win comfortably to put themselves in a strong position before the back-to-back against Castres in December.

The Munster side sees a few changes in the pack from last week. After struggles in the scrum we see a new front row of Cronin, Marshall and Ryan. Following a knock in training Niall Scannell is not in the 23 with O'Byrne taking the bench spot. Tommy O'Donnell comes in at 7 for Chris Cloete with Arno Botha coming onto the bench. Alby Mathewson has recovered from injury and replaces Neil Cronin as the backup scrum-half.

Gloucester are down a few names and you'd expect Munster to look at this game as a prime opportunity for five points.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Looking forward to this one, met some Gloucester fans last night round town - they were full of the joys of life (sure why wouldn't you be flying out 2 days before the game!)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Other than Leinster this is the game I'm most looking forward to this weekend. Luke Fitzgerald reckoned the Munster forwards would be all over Cipriani and backed up by the crowd would have him well rattled early doors. I'd just like to point out that if this comes to be you will have proved Luke Fitz correct on this and by extension everything else. Thanks.

No sign of Keith Earls again. It would be such a pity for him if he missed out of November, having already missed the Chicago game in 2016 through injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Thought they would start GG, although wasn't at his best last weekend I think

• Advertisement

Surprised Grobler isn't starting for them

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

No sign of Keith Earls again. It would be such a pity for him if he missed out of November, having already missed the Chicago game in 2016 through injury.

Looked alright earlier in ul , I say no chances are taken with the internationals this yr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Slater is a talisman for them however so no surprise he’s straight in. Sharples has been going well so seeing Banahan come in is strange. Banahan will be strong in the air.

Niall Scannell is a miss for his scrum and throwing. Rhys can have impact around the field.

Think we have a bigger impact off the bench but part of me yearns for what the side would look like with Murray, Farrell and Earls in the backline

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

slingerz wrote: »
    Slater is a talisman for them however so no surprise he’s straight in. Sharples has been going well so seeing Banahan come in is strange. Banahan will be strong in the air.

Niall Scannell is a miss for his scrum and throwing. Rhys can have impact around the field.

Think we have a bigger impact off the bench but part of me yearns for what the side would look like with Murray, Farrell and Earls in the backline

With the way Goggin is playing....Farrell wouldnt make a huge difference in my view. Earls and Murray certainly would though.

D'oh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

budhabob wrote: »
    With the way Goggin is playing....Farrell wouldnt make a huge difference in my view. Earls and Murray certainly would though.

Farrell is a level above Goggin IMO. Goggin in good form for sure though.

Both a step ahead of the Andrew Smith/Pat Howard centres we had out a few years ago

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

slingerz wrote: »
    Farrell is a level above Goggin IMO. Goggin in good form for sure though.

Both a step ahead of the Andrew Smith/Pat Howard centres we had out a few years ago

I'd agree with this, but would go a step further and suggest Goggin is playing better than I thought he was capable of. He's still only 23 so lets hope he can continuing improving.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Eod100 wrote: »
    D'oh!

Well ye do sing about Athenry a whole lot

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Well ye do sing about Athenry a whole lot

Was just about to post the same :pac:

Goggin needs to add more creative element to his game, Farrell can open teams up with his passing. DG is still very young though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Hopefully they head for Galway :D

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

This match is also on channel 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

This match is also on channel 4.
    With Jamie Heaslip on co-commentary. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

prawnsambo wrote: »

He's actually quite good! Vile Nugent is joining him at the station unfortunately

prawnsambo wrote: »

Jamie Heaslip providing commentary for a Munster game. Oh how far we've come, should be good entertainment - a few memorable soundbites no doubt!

Can't wait for this game - nice little build up coming together for it.

• Advertisement

The forecast looks clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Should be a handy enough BP here.

Should be a handy enough BP here.

I'd take that. 2 tries in 1st half, 2 in 2nd. They're a decent side still though but hopefully with their loss in forwards we will dominate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

Great day for playing rugby and supporting it a thomond as well not too baltic and low winds

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Eod100 wrote: »
    I'd take that. 2 tries in 1st half, 2 in 2nd. They're a decent side still though but hopefully with their loss in forwards we will dominate

I was talking to a number of Gloucester fans last night. To a man they were hoping to get away with a lbp. They don't think they have any chance today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

I was talking to a number of Gloucester fans last night. To a man they were hoping to get away with a lbp. They don't think they have any chance today.
    Gotta say love the Gloucester fans always great craic and knowledgeable as well and well up for a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

A Munster win but I think it will be closer than what a lot are predicting here. Don't think we will get a TBP but would love to be proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think Glaws -15 is decent enough value.

Looking forward to seeing Polledri here, class player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Mc Love wrote: »
    He's actually quite good! Vile Nugent is joining him at the station unfortunately

He's not. Its Miles Harrison.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

could anyone PM a stream for the match? stuck in work. cheers.

My TV is also not picking up the channel I absolutely paid for and which is showing the match.

Advertisement