Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossfit Waterford reviews

Options
  • 17-10-2018 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Looking to join Cross-fit Waterford next week or so.

Haven't heard many positive things about the place i.e. its overly clicky, not much equipment there, classes are only ok compared to other gyms.

Anyone any experience in the place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭barraseaclaid

I was going to join there a few years ago and was pointed in the direction of Waterford warriors instead and never looked back. It's also a CrossFit gym has great facilities and a whole pile of coaches and class options. I am not going to slam CF Waterford as i have never trained there but it's worth taking a look at both places to see. Also warriors is much closer to my house but again that depends where your living

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

You should check out Nialll Devereux, he has PT class and open class several times a week, I have lost 12lb and gained a lot of muscle with him. His open classes are €5 a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭dzilla

Kracken wrote: »
    You should check out Nialll Devereux, he has PT class and open class several times a week, I have lost 12lb and gained a lot of muscle with him. His open classes are €5 a go.

Where's that now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Haven't heard many positive things about the place i.e. its overly clicky, not much equipment there, classes are only ok compared to other gyms.

Missus was member for a while. Twas grand but she didn't like that everything had to be posted on social media. Like before and after pics she not into that but she said she felt like she had to give permission. She left then. Training wise Twas grand she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭brian2614

Both Cross-fit and Warriors are full of shapers and are over priced...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Recently joined CF Waterford and really enjoying it. Yes it takes a while to get to know people and there are always groups that will naturally congregate together at the beginning and at the end. But the reason I joined was to lose weight and get fit and I find the classes a huge challenge,I'm not really going there to make friends. All the coaches are great and I hope to see the results over time. Again its all about what you put in. I like the smaller numbers for the early morning classes. Spent years in Goldstone and really enjoyed the social aspect and made great friends there, but I feel CF is a little more results focused. I've also heard great things about Warriors to be fair !

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

brian2614 wrote: »
    Both Cross-fit and Warriors are full of shapers and are over priced...

Whats a 'shaper' ?

I'm an 'out-of-shaper' at the moment :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Member for around a year and find it very good and welcoming. The last thing I would say is that its 'clicky' as I would have been out the door in a second if that was the case.

Trainers very good, equipment always being upgraded with new ski machines and boxes in recent weeks/months. I found a good schedule/variety of classes. I've done every exercise class/gym over the years and due to the variety of exercises you do this was the one I found most enjoyable(if you can call feeling like you want to die on occasions enjoyable)

The 'shapers' comment is hilarious. Compared to some gyms the lack of poseurs is stark.

Like any club/activity/life, you get our of it what you put in. Give it a try and see for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I wouldn't go near CrossFit, the owners are full of pure ego and they insist on filming everyone and everything even when people don't want to be on camera. Ive heard them tell someone to keep doing kettlebells and ignore the camera! His prices are awful as well. As mentioned, I would recommend Waterford Warriors much more laid back.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

I have been a member of both Crossfit Waterford and Warriors (also Crossfit) for each place over 2 years at a time.

I would say Warriors is better equipped , way more people there of all standards, shapes and sizes. I would also say the coaches are probably a bit more all rounded (not just crossfit based)

Wouldnt have anything bad to say about CFW though, so depends on where is handy, but having been a member both places, I'd rather Warriors.. as someone mentioned, its way more laid back, better craic and a way more different levels of people from top Crossfit athletes to people just starting out. It's also open from 6am to 8pm so no excuse to miss classes :)

• Advertisement

dzilla wrote: »
    Where's that now?

He is up at the Waterford Crystal Sport Centre, have to say he gets results and runs a good plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

Kracken wrote: »
    He is up at the Waterford Crystal Sport Centre, have to say he gets results and runs a good plan.
    Haven't seen any webpage or FB page. Does he have one?

Haven't seen any webpage or FB page. Does he have one?

Here you go

https://www.facebook.com/Nialll-Devereux-fitness-377474312325014/

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

I wouldn't go near CrossFit, the owners are full of pure ego and they insist on filming everyone and everything even when people don't want to be on camera. Ive heard them tell someone to keep doing kettlebells and ignore the camera! His prices are awful as well. As mentioned, I would recommend Waterford Warriors much more laid back.

That would drive me mad. That's just a massive sign of disrespect and being a dickhead with an overblown ego to basically continue to film/take pictures even though they know that you are not comfortable with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

That would drive me mad. That's just a massive sign of disrespect and being a dickhead with an overblown ego to basically continue to film/take pictures even though they know that you are not comfortable with it.

Be hilarious if they starting taking photos of me huffing and puffing as I fall off the treadmill!

I'd be very quick to tell them to f off if they started that.

For what it's worth I'm a member in WIT and never had any of that nonsense. The instructors are friendly but keep to themselves unless you ask them for something. I'm not into weights but seems to be a big selection and lots of machines (all less than 2 years old as the gym is only open 2 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Look at their facebook page, its practically 100% videos of classes that day. I honestly don't know how they get the time to teach classes when they are pointing the phone/camera at people all day long. I was warned about it before I joined but I took it with a grain of salt. As it turns out its true, I saw people tell them they aren't comfortable being on camera and it was met with laughs. wow what a dcikhead. Less social media more respect for paying clients!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stoofer!

I'd have to question a lot of the information on here to be honest. It may be outdated, or based on the prejudices of people who have never been near the place.

I've been a member of Crossfit Waterford now for a couple of years and have had nothing but a really positive experience of the place.

I was pretty unfit starting and and a blow-in too who knew no one. Right from the start all the coaches and other members were incredibly friendly, welcoming and encouraging. It really is the exact opposite of cliquey, with all ages and abilities, from complete beginners to competitive athletes training together and encouraging each other.

The coaches are brilliant, they really know their stuff and are kind, enouraging and make sure you get the attention you need to improve your technique and make sure everything is done safely. I've nothing bad to say about Warriors, as I've never used the place, but I know that classes in CFW are a lot smaller - anything from 5-6 t0 15-20 people - so the attention you get is pretty much PT level at times. Also, you don't need to book in to classes in advance, just turn up at the time and train.

The equipment is also very good, more than everything you'd need and new additions and upgrades all the time.

I really don't understand the videoing stuff either. Sure, sometimes there might be a short video made of part of a class for promotion purposes. But this is pretty standard now across the industry (even Warriors have an instagram page of all their stuff), and there are absolutely no before or after pictures required. And if you really don't want to appear on any videos just let the coaches know, there is absolutely no way they'd take offence or force anything on you.

I've tried lots of forms of exercise over the years but can honestly say this is the first time I've actually come to enjoy it. The classes are actually enjoyable and good craic, and that's not something I would have thought I'd have said about any form of exercise beforehand.

Feck the begrudgers! Give it a try for yourself. I honestly couldn't recommend it highly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

stoofer! wrote: »
    I'd have to question a lot of the information on here to be honest. It may be outdated, or based on the prejudices of people who have never been near the place.

I've been a member of Crossfit Waterford now for a couple of years and have had nothing but a really positive experience of the place.

I was pretty unfit starting and and a blow-in too who knew no one. Right from the start all the coaches and other members were incredibly friendly, welcoming and encouraging. It really is the exact opposite of cliquey, with all ages and abilities, from complete beginners to competitive athletes training together and encouraging each other.

The coaches are brilliant, they really know their stuff and are kind, enouraging and make sure you get the attention you need to improve your technique and make sure everything is done safely. I've nothing bad to say about Warriors, as I've never used the place, but I know that classes in CFW are a lot smaller - anything from 5-6 t0 15-20 people - so the attention you get is pretty much PT level at times. Also, you don't need to book in to classes in advance, just turn up at the time and train.

The equipment is also very good, more than everything you'd need and new additions and upgrades all the time.

I really don't understand the videoing stuff either. Sure, sometimes there might be a short video made of part of a class for promotion purposes. But this is pretty standard now across the industry (even Warriors have an instagram page of all their stuff), and there are absolutely no before or after pictures required. And if you really don't want to appear on any videos just let the coaches know, there is absolutely no way they'd take offence or force anything on you.

I've tried lots of forms of exercise over the years but can honestly say this is the first time I've actually come to enjoy it. The classes are actually enjoyable and good craic, and that's not something I would have thought I'd have said about any form of exercise beforehand.

Feck the begrudgers! Give it a try for yourself. I honestly couldn't recommend it highly enough.

First post hello Mr cross fit!!! People are only giving honest opinion not begrudging. Some gyms don't suit certain people. It's suits you but everyone is different. Op should try it out and get his own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stoofer!

First post?!? Everyone has to start somewhere I guess. And I'm far from Mr (Mrs?) Crossfit believe me!

I'm just someone who has trained in the place 3-4 times a week for the last couple of years, and I generally wouldn't recognise it from many of the descriptions posted here. That's the only reason I felt motivated to post.

The OP should definitely try it out for themselves. They might like it, they might not. Just thought it would be a shame if they were discouraged by what they had read here.

Advertisement