Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭celt262

Yevon wrote: »
    There's a hierarchy in the lads Cavan need back IMO. Top of the list are the lads who have been there and proven themselves at that level; Niall McDermott, McEnroe, Jack Brady, David Givney, Keating, Martin Dunne. Then there's lads who were there before and showed a bit of promise but didn't stick at it for whatever reason; Gerry Smith, Joe Dillon, Argue, Thomas Galligan.

McDermott, Smith and Galligan out of the above is who I hope come back in.

Givney was good in 2016 but not around at moment and with two years away might get it tough to get back up to speed. The others i would not get to upset if they were not back.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

Thanks lads, might have to dust off the Longford thread and find out how Graham likes to play.

I also agree on the conditioning of the players. Compared to top teams we look less imposing ala Monaghan, Tyrone.

I wonder if there is a central index of player stats. I'd happily have a look and draw a conclusion vs other intercounty teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Thunderbirds

celt262 wrote: »
    McDermott, Smith and Galligan out of the above is who I hope come back in.

Givney was good in 2016 but not around at moment and with two years away might get it tough to get back up to speed. The others i would not get to upset if they were not back.

Gerry Smith is available again. He was doing exams and Fergal Flanagan is available again. Galliagan should come back under a new manager. Brian O Connell has to be brought in as he is class. Givney is in England. Paul Smith should be brought back in as he's being top class this year. Conor Smith shooting the lights out too.

Graham confirmed anyway with McCabe and Corey. McCabe will need to improve his positivity or lads will drop off. Corey as I said before is a top class coach. He's also a S and C coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Gerry Smith is available again. He was doing exams and Fergal Flanagan is available again. Galliagan should come back under a new manager. Brian O Connell has to be brought in as he is class. Givney is in England. Paul Smith should be brought back in as he's being top class this year. Conor Smith shooting the lights out too.

Graham confirmed anyway with McCabe and Corey. McCabe will need to improve his positivity or lads will drop off. Corey as I said before is a top class coach. He's also a S and C coach.

Unfortunately, an ambulance was needed on the pitch for Conor Smith in Ramor last night. Game delayed about 40 or 50 minutes.

Can’t be good which is sad to see. Would imagine he’ll be out for a while.

The other talking point of that game was how poor the officials were. Not just the ref but the linesmen and umpires too. Some terrible decisions all round.

There was a blatant 45 denied to Lavey at the end (Paul Fitz from the Celt has a vid of it on Twitter) and looking at it you’d wonder how anyone could possibly not have seen it was a 45. Or heard it. People in the crowd were even shouting they heard the ball clearly hit someone’s hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Well that was an interesting turn of events,Gaels and Ramor both out,surely Castlerahans year,though Oisin Kiernan is going to be a huge loss for them

• Advertisement

Well that was an interesting turn of events,Gaels and Ramor both out,surely Castlerahans year,though Oisin Kiernan is going to be a huge loss for them

Wouldn't rule anyone in or out after this weekend. Castlerahan probably will be favourites but Oisin Kiernan is a massive loss. We Are Cavan mentioned him for player of the year. A fresh name on cup either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Huge loss, and add to that Crosserlough are flying. By the time Castlerahan play their semi, Lavey and Lacken will have been playing 4 weeks on the bounce, so surely an advantage (unless the semi is pushed back a week)

Havent seen much of Gowna, but I find it odd that its there defence getting the plaudits when their exciting young players are all forwards. Intriguing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭rrs

Oisin Kiernan obviously a loss but Casterahan have a strong panel, helped by McSweeney returning from Kerry and Brian Ennis from Summerhill Meath

They have the most experience left of the 5 teams. If they don't take their chance now they never will..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

What happened Oisin Kiernan ? Just seen healing mass for him on castlrahan twitter

cavan4sam wrote: »
    What happened Oisin Kiernan ? Just seen healing mass for him on castlrahan twitter

Diagnosed with cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Diagnosed with cancer.

Oh my God.
    My prayers and best wishes go to him for the battle ahead.

Far more important things than football.

Lads if anyone hasn't already signed up the subscriber Podcast from WeareCavan, it's very good. They're going to have an interview with Mickey Graham next week. There's been 2/3 podcasts a week so far, well worth the cost which is less than 5 euro.

(I've no connection with them btw, just a fan of what they do)

The betting tips are second to none......turned €10 into €70 in 2 weeks:eek:

Christ that's tough
    The poor lad hope all goes well for him and he wins his battle

Football is certainly secondary for him now but hopefully a distraction for him now in a good sort of way

Prayers are with him

Lads if anyone hasn't already signed up the subscriber Podcast from WeareCavan, it's very good. They're going to have an interview with Mickey Graham next week. There's been 2/3 podcasts a week so far, well worth the cost which is less than 5 euro.

(I've no connection with them btw, just a fan of what they do)

I'm a subscriber and its well worth the 5 dollars a month. One thing I would have to level against the lads is their over estimation of the quality of Cavan football. Listening to them rhyme off names every week, you'd swear Cavan has 100+ quality county footballers out there.

I was at a Senior Championship quarter final this evening and the top scorer with 1-8 or 1-9 plays in goals for the county team - that says a lot! There was also a player playing who used to play for the county and the lads likened him to being every bit as good as a potential opponent from Tyrone a few weeks back and he certainly didn't look it on this evening's display.

Interesting interview with Graham. He seems very level headed. None of the fluff Mattie was feeding us. Its refreshing to hear a manager say that we have to concentrate on just being competitive and winning games in Ulster before we can talk about winning championships.

Also good to hear him say that he'll approach players and do his best to get them back but, at the end of the day, its up to them to actually want to put in the effort. I know others didn't agree before, including yourself Yevon, but I still don't see how it could be argued that we've the best team available starting for Cavan. Ramor, for example, played Crosserlough recently and despite them having two quite prominent Cavan forwards last year, the best forward, and indeed player, on the pitch for them was Jack Brady by all accounts.

Pierson and Madden from Gowna and Michael Argue are amongst those I've heard have already been approached by Mickey.

The lads definitely engage in a bit of hype but I don't blame them for it. I for one certainly don't want to listen to a Sunday Game style assassination of the game in Cavan twice weekly.

Not sure if you're mistaking me for someone Cavan_King but I doubt i've argued that we have the best team starting. I've said on numerous occasions that we have the best 7 or 8 players in Cavan on the team but a lot of the next 10 on the list aren't playing and the lads who are, are being carried in many cases. Brady is one lad I'd love to see back. A good footballer and a lad with a brain in his head.

I wouldnt say we have the best 7 or 8 to be honest.....we have Big G, Mackey, McVeety and Clarke, but after that its much of a muchness. The Lad at Ramor that wears 6 (McConnell I think) looks as good as the rest for instance.

Id like to know who you reckon are the best 7/8....granted I havent been at enough club championship matches to elaborate more on my opinion

The lads definitely engage in a bit of hype but I don't blame them for it. I for one certainly don't want to listen to a Sunday Game style assassination of the game in Cavan twice weekly.

Not sure if you're mistaking me for someone Cavan_King but I doubt i've argued that we have the best team starting. I've said on numerous occasions that we have the best 7 or 8 players in Cavan on the team but a lot of the next 10 on the list aren't playing and the lads who are, are being carried in many cases. Brady is one lad I'd love to see back. A good footballer and a lad with a brain in his head.

I read the old post and you are correct, I'm mistaken. As you state in further posts now, we have the main 7 or 8 lads. Its the supporting cast we need.

For example, from the Lacken-Lavey game I attended, the lads on the panel were Ray Galligan & Paul Gilcresst last year and both did in fairness show themselves to be worth their places on it but you'd also expect Niall McKiernan (who came on), Thomas Galligan & Gerry Smith to be in there. All 3 are better than players we had starting and coming on as subs last year.

Speaking of which, one thing we need to stop doing in Cavan is rushing players back. Niall McKiernan brought on and was limping from the first time he had to make a decent run for a ball.

It'll be interesting to see if Mickey tries to coax back the likes of Flanagan, Givney and McEnroe who gave a good few years in the past but drifted away. I hear Michael Argue has been approached which is a good thing. He should be in there just for his physical presence alone!

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I read the old post and you are correct, I'm mistaken. As you state in further posts now, we have the main 7 or 8 lads. Its the supporting cast we need.

For example, from the Lacken-Lavey game I attended, the lads on the panel were Ray Galligan & Paul Gilcresst last year and both did in fairness show themselves to be worth their places on it but you'd also expect Niall McKiernan (who came on), Thomas Galligan & Gerry Smith to be in there. All 3 are better than players we had starting and coming on as subs last year.

Speaking of which, one thing we need to stop doing in Cavan is rushing players back. Niall McKiernan brought on and was limping from the first time he had to make a decent run for a ball.

It'll be interesting to see if Mickey tries to coax back the likes of Flanagan, Givney and McEnroe who gave a good few years in the past but drifted away. I hear Michael Argue has been approached which is a good thing. He should be in there just for his physical presence alone!

Flanagan is finished his masters and will be available. Givney is in England. What age is McEnroe? Gerry Smith finished exams.

Flanagan is finished his masters and will be available. Givney is in England. What age is McEnroe? Gerry Smith finished exams.

It'll be interesting to see if even when exams are finished these lads are available. I know of at least one player who last year blamed work commitments on not going in and the county board actually approached his employer who informed them he was more than willing to be accommodating!

McEnroe is 28 or so I believe. He was on the 2010 U21 team with Givney and Keating that lost to Donegal in the Ulster final. Its now or never for those lads but I fear their time has now passed which is a pity.

Hopefully we get some better fare this weekend in the senior semi finals than the junior final last weekend!!

Huge win for Mullahoran in the Intermediate final with a lot of youth in side. The senior final is hard to call. Castlerahan who have come close over last few years and Crosserlough with a young talented team.

Huge win for Mullahoran in the Intermediate final with a lot of youth in side. The senior final is hard to call. Castlerahan who have come close over last few years and Crosserlough with a young talented team.

I just hope the ref doesnt ruin what could be an exceptional final. Duneen is down to do it, and any time Ive seen him, he has been way too fond of the whistle for soft frees

• Advertisement

I would love to see Castlerahan win it and hope the pressure doesn't get to them . Here's hoping for a good game
    Congrats to Mullahoran hopefully they'll give Ulster a rattle

The lads on We Are Cavan were talking up Castlerahan in their post match review but I didn’t find them very impressive at the weekend. They should have beat Lavey the first week and let a 9 point lead slip back to two on Saturday evening. They just can’t kill off a game.

Mackey doesn’t look himself, a poor showing from him. Enda Flanagan should do a bit more running of his feet and less of his mouth. Cormac Daly doesn’t look the player he did when he was midfield two years ago.

Rahan’s best players were the sublime David Wright (4 points from a midfielder along with his fielding was a terrific display), his midfield partner Pauric Smith, who does a lot of the dirty work, Sean Brady, creative and industrious and Ronan Flanagan, top class performer. The problem for Cavan is three of those four are the wrong side of 30!!

Having seen Crosserlough in the game before disposing of a very good Gowna team, I’ll be putting my money on the Kilnaleck lads who should be the underdogs this weekend.

My heart would love to see Castlerahan win it, as it would for most people I imagine, but the head says they just don’t have it in this group of players. There’s something in their heads that they can’t get over.

The lads on We Are Cavan were talking up Castlerahan in their post match review but I didn’t find them very impressive at the weekend. They should have beat Lavey the first week and let a 9 point lead slip back to two on Saturday evening. They just can’t kill off a game.

Mackey doesn’t look himself, a poor showing from him. Enda Flanagan should do a bit more running of his feet and less of his mouth. Cormac Daly doesn’t look the player he did when he was midfield two years ago.

Rahan’s best players were the sublime David Wright (4 points from a midfielder along with his fielding was a terrific display), his midfield partner Pauric Smith, who does a lot of the dirty work, Sean Brady, creative and industrious and Ronan Flanagan, top class performer. The problem for Cavan is three of those four are the wrong side of 30!!

Having seen Crosserlough in the game before disposing of a very good Gowna team, I’ll be putting my money on the Kilnaleck lads who should be the underdogs this weekend.

My heart would love to see Castlerahan win it, as it would for most people I imagine, but the head says they just don’t have it in this group of players. There’s something in their heads that they can’t get over.

I thought apart from Wright, Cormac Daly was Castlerahan's best player. He was driving forward even at end. Mackey has being carrying illness but still scored 3 or 4 points and a lot went through him.
    Lavey came back into it after Wright got winded.

I thought apart from Wright, Cormac Daly was Castlerahan's best player. He was driving forward even at end. Mackey has being carrying illness but still scored 3 or 4 points and a lot went through him.
    Lavey came back into it after Wright got winded.

Lavey changing their tactics had more to do with it I thought. Gerry Smith moved out to midfield and they pushed up on the Castlerahan kick out. Two moves that should have come a lot sooner.

Perhaps I’m being harsh on Daly but having seen him operate at midfield in a semi final two years ago I felt he was far more involved then.

What’s the story with all these outsiders on the Ballyjamesduff team? Has Ballyduff become the business hub of Cavan! I heard they now have lads from Meath and Kerry, Ennis and McSweeney. Plus Kiernan.

Why the sudden influx of these lads from other counties? Has Keoghan the cheque book out?

Lavey changing their tactics had more to do with it I thought. Gerry Smith moved out to midfield and they pushed up on the Castlerahan kick out. Two moves that should have come a lot sooner.

Perhaps I’m being harsh on Daly but having seen him operate at midfield in a semi final two years ago I felt he was far more involved then.

What’s the story with all these outsiders on the Ballyjamesduff team? Has Ballyduff become the business hub of Cavan! I heard they now have lads from Meath and Kerry, Ennis and McSweeney. Plus Kiernan.

Why the sudden influx of these lads from other counties? Has Keoghan the cheque book out?

Ennis not living near his club anymore and his partner works in the school in BJD. McSweeney moved away from Kerry and was working in area a couple years ago so wanted to play ball again. There two Kiernans with Castlerahan now and one with Mountnugent. Fell out with Ballinacree.

Ennis not living near his club anymore and his partner works in the school in BJD. McSweeney moved away from Kerry and was working in area a couple years ago so wanted to play ball again. There two Kiernans with Castlerahan now and one with Mountnugent. Fell out with Ballinacree.

So are any of these lads actually living in the area now?

So are any of these lads actually living in the area now?

McSweeney in Dublin. Not a clue where Kiernans live. Ennis is near Oldcastle I think.

McSweeney in Dublin. Not a clue where Kiernans live. Ennis is near Oldcastle I think.

So Castlerahan are leaving lads like the O’Connells and Fergal Flanagan on the bench, who have played with them through their entire careers and represented Cavan, on the bench to field these lads who have no links whatsoever?

So Castlerahan are leaving lads like the O’Connells and Fergal Flanagan on the bench, who have played with them through their entire careers and represented Cavan, on the bench to field these lads who have no links whatsoever?

The O Connels started the last day. The Kiernans have links. Cousins played for club for years.

• Advertisement

I just hope the ref doesnt ruin what could be an exceptional final. Duneen is down to do it, and any time Ive seen him, he has been way too fond of the whistle for soft frees

Strange giving a Ballinagh man the job with a Ballinagh man over one of the teams.

Advertisement