Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse

• 15-10-2018 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9 Sikke

I searched for a thread 'bout this show, but anyways.

Who's hyped for season 4? it's still ways away, but damn, I'm def rewatching the show before the season 4 premiere.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

the expanse is definitely one of the best shows around!
    waiting to find out if we'll all need a Prime account to see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I haven't seen season 3 yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sikke

Yeah they'll probably air it on prime.

oh god I'm getting cbs all access vibes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Enjoyed seasons 1-3, will definitely watch Season 4.

Might wait till it's over and binge my way through it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭troyzer

Haven't watched it but been on a space binge recently.

What kind of space show is it? Is it hardcore science fiction or is just a show set in space?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's a pretty healthy thread on the TV forum discussing the show: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057362724
    troyzer wrote: »
    Haven't watched it but been on a space binge recently.

What kind of space show is it? Is it hardcore science fiction or is just a show set in space?

It's hardcore enough: mostly about 3 rival factions contesting - politically & militarily - within our solar system. There's no FTL or anything of that ilk, humanity spread out across the planets and moons of our own backyard instead, thanks to better-than-modernday versions of our rockets (the 'Epstein Drive' IIRC). The ships are basically windowless tin-cans, with warfare written as submarine battles.

Characters are a little stock stereotype, but applied with enough charisma and intrigue to make it work; the TV adaptation actually fleshed a lot of the thinner, more two dimensional characters out a lot more than the books.

pixelburp wrote: »
    There's a pretty healthy thread on the TV forum discussing the show: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057362724

It's hardcore enough: mostly about 3 rival factions contesting - politically & militarily - within our solar system. There's no FTL or anything of that ilk, humanity spread out across the planets and moons of our own backyard instead, thanks to better-than-modernday versions of our rockets (the 'Epstein Drive' IIRC). The ships are basically windowless tin-cans, with warfare written as submarine battles.

Characters are a little stock stereotype, but applied with enough charisma and intrigue to make it work; the TV adaptation actually fleshed a lot of the thinner, more two dimensional characters out a lot more than the books.

Hmm, might be worth a punt. Is it on Netflix?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

First two seasons are. Or were before Amazon bought it, haven't checked recently

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I just checked and nope, it's gone now; as bluewolf said Amazon took over the rights for Season 4 onwards, so presumably they retroactively gained the rights to stream the previous 3 seasons.

I have Amazon as well, that wouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement

3 isn't on Amazon yet though is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Well, if the TV series doesn't diverge too much from the books, season 4 should take place mainly on the surface of an extra-solar planet (altered largely by the protomolecule).

C'mon ZeroThreat, spoiler that, there are clearly people here who haven't read the books or watched the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I watched the first season and thought it was good but never got around to watching the second season. I must give it a spin at some stage.

The first season is a bit stop-start and has definite growing pains; Season 2 was when the show really kicked into high gear and the recently finished third season was (for me) one of the best series of television in the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

The TV series (for obvious reasons) is unable to portray the Belters physical appearance as described in the books, with their enlarged heads and all...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sikke

Yeah season 1 is "good but not great", which is why I as well took a long enough break from the show that season 3 managed to air in its entirety before I saw season 2.

definitely worth coming back to

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Still waiting for Netflix to get season 3. I have a Prime account but probably wont be able to watch season 4 because it will be region blocked.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hmmm. It appears I haven't seen Season 3 at all.

Must rectify that. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Still waiting for Netflix to get season 3. I have a Prime account but probably wont be able to watch season 4 because it will be region blocked.
    You'll be waiting. Netflix won't get Season 3 and they've pulled the previous seasons, presumably because of Amazon. Hopefully, they'll add it to their catalogue here as they'll own the rights. It'd bring up the total of the shows available on their Irish offering to about five...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Talisman

All three seasons are available in Ireland on the PrimeVideo service.

What hardware can you get to watch PrimeVideo in Ireland like a FireTV etc. Dont really want to watch it on phone or laptop.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

beauf wrote: »
    What hardware can you get to watch PrimeVideo in Ireland like a FireTV etc. Dont really want to watch it on phone or laptop.

Any smart TV should have it, xbox, PS4, android box. FireTV stick is fine for using here too.

Pretty much any media device you plug into your tv will have a prime video app.

I though the Fire Hardware was region locked out for Irish accounts.

My Smart TV is very old, I doubt I'll get an app for it. The consoles are always in use. TBH a set top box would be best if it worked here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

The first season is a bit stop-start and has definite growing pains; Season 2 was when the show really kicked into high gear and the recently finished third season was (for me) one of the best series of television in the last 12 months.

+1
    Decent hard sci-fi is hard to come by. This is most definitely one of the best around; it's grubby realism bolsters its plot and world (milky way) building.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Pity its so hard to get access to it to watch.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

beauf wrote: »
    Pity its so hard to get access to it to watch.

All you have to do is sub to prime video no?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Season 4 being released tomorrow. I'm currently rewatching seasons 1-3 before getting stuck in.
    I also bought a few of the audiobooks on audible recently too. I'm about 75% through the first atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

All 4 seasons watched now. Need something else to keep me going until Season 5 is out in about a year. Any suggestions?

Advertisement