Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fully Baked Left Wing Vegan Cookies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

wrong forum sorry :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

mikhail wrote: »
    The Jazz Singer was the first talkie. Maybe we should stop watching movies with dialogue too. ;)

And drinking Lyon's tea for that matter

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

What's the sound of one hand jazzing?
    "Fap, fap, fap"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Here's another reason the left are a bunch of moral-less dickheads

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6273199/Somali-man-deportation-stopped-good-plane-passengers-revealed-gang-rapist.html

defending a gang rapist!

wow ! it's **** like this that will get Trump back in 2020.
    Keep it up.
    Oh wait, it's the Daily Mail - so it obviously didn't happen - excuse me and me "racism".

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Pero_Bueno wrote: »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6273199/Somali-man-deportation-stopped-good-plane-passengers-revealed-gang-rapist.html

defending a gang rapist!

Keep it up.
    Oh wait, it's the Daily Mail - so it obviously didn't happen - excuse me and me "racism".

This would make more sense if they had been wittingly defending a gang rapist vs essentially misunderstanding the situation.

I mean, personally, I'd call deliberately misrepresenting something to have a go at someone far more an act of moral-less dickheadery than actually making a mistake (even if a mistake caused by a certain amount of groupthink) but there you go.

Missed the racist bit, you might want to try harder next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

defending a gang rapist!

Keep it up.

Do you have a non Daily Mail source?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Christy42

defending a gang rapist!

Keep it up.

Err no.

They defended someone who they later found out was a piece of scum. Certainly they should have found out some more facts but moral less dickheads seems a bit harsh. The daily mail was very clear on this part and yet the post could use work to describe the situation more accurately.

Should you be called one if you hold the door for someone who later turns out to be a murderer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭Odhinn

defending a gang rapist!

Keep it up.

Your post bears no relation the actual incident.

But the passengers who thought they were doing a good deed were unaware that the man they were defending had been sentenced to nine years in jail for his part in a vicious gang rape of a teenage girl – and that another member of his gang later fought for Islamic State in Syria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Interfering with their virtue signalling from a position of ignorance.

recedite wrote: »
    Interfering with their virtue signalling from a position of ignorance.

I'd suggest that you read up on the windrush scandal before blundering on.

• Advertisement

Odhinn wrote: »
    He was a bit youthful looking for that generation, and obviously not from the Caribbean. British commonwealth is a totally different issue to modern uninvited migration from places like Somalia and Afghanistan.
    Judging by the exaggerated moaning sounds he was making to attract sympathy, a career in Somalian theatre might beckon?
    Interesting that these guys are now being repatriated via Turkey, which seems to be all part of lucrative deal Erdogan negotiated with the EU. Erdogan is quite happy doing the EU's dirty work, for a few million quid.
    Presumably it will be more difficult for the UK post-Brexit to get a guy like this back to Mogadishu. Less chance of stupid holidaymakers being on the same flight though.

https://twitter.com/KatieSteampipe/status/1051604390501634048

Congrats to the silver and bronze winners in this - who have to bravely nod and pretend they lost out in a fair sport.
    the emperor has no clothes.

Odhinn wrote: »

Ah yes, of course my apologies.
    ah yes The windrush scandal! - suits here even if they are the wrong age, and from the wrong side of the planet!!

Also, good point, because of the windrush scandal it means all deportations are no invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ah yes, of course my apologies.
    ah yes The windrush scandal! - suits here even if they are the wrong age, and from the wrong side of the planet!!

Also, good point, because of the windrush scandal it means all deportations are no invalid.
    I think you kind of miss the point. The Windrush Scandal tells us much about the attitudes and processes operated by the UK Home Office when it comes to deportations. Nobody can be so stupid as to imagine that these attitudes and processes can only be unfair to Afro-Caribbean people of a certain generation. Therefore, the Windrush Scandal gives rise to mistrust in all forced deportations. Everybody can understand this easily unless they are highly motivated to try very, very hard not to.

He was a (...........) being on the same flight though.

The point being that deportations are not the result of infallible processes and provide a background for the passengers behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Congrats to the silver and bronze winners in this - who have to bravely nod and pretend they lost out in a fair sport.
    the emperor has no clothes.
    I think what's most interesting is when you look this up, the only people commenting on it are right-wing sites losing their **** over it.

Nobody else really seems to care.

One of the interesting things about trans sports is that people seem to almost universally have a problem with Male-to-Female athletes, but not the other way.

There's an 18-year-old in Texas who is transitioning from female to male. He wrestles competitively and is consistently annihilating competitors. Because they won't allow him to wrestle men.

It's undeniably that we're in a flux period at the moment until there is enough data and experience to develop a general consensus on trans people in sports.

At present, trans people aren't dominating sport, so there's no need to raise the moral panic alarm about it. A trans woman who has won a single championship at a senior level after several years of competitive racing, says nothing about any advantage or disadvantage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

seamus wrote: »
    [...] the moral panic alarm [...]
    Gotta keep the rage pumping though.

Just when I thought cyclists had already uncovered every possible way to cheat...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

It's undeniably that we're in a flux period at the moment until there is enough data and experience to develop a general consensus on trans people in sports.

At present, trans people aren't dominating sport, so there's no need to raise the moral panic alarm about it. A trans woman who has won a single championship at a senior level after several years of competitive racing, says nothing about any advantage or disadvantage.

What data are you waiting for ? at international level men significantly out perform women, hell an under 16s boys soccer team would beat a woman's national team. While the number of trans athletes will be tiny in the scheme of things , it is unfair to the particular woman affected

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »

What data are you waiting for ? at international level men significantly out perform women, hell an under 16s boys soccer team would beat a woman's national team. While the number of trans athletes will be tiny in the scheme of things , it is unfair to the particular woman affected
    Certainly a top u16s boys team would take on a national side but testosterone is a large part of that.

You also have to figure how much of a physical edge you are left with after 2 years (2 years is the Olympic rule IIRC). It also depends on when transformation occurs (before or after puberty makes a big difference to height and the like). Then you have issues like bone strength.

There are probably societal advantages as well. A trans soccer player may have had better training due to playing against top boys teams/with better coaches as a child but these tend not to be advantages we mitigate for in sport.

Simply put, taking into account of this, naturally interested people and the fact that mutations like Marfins may have an edge in stuff like Volleyball but are not banned it is a tough question. Certainly more complicated than a trans athlete won an event so we should ban them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Trans women are not men.

Trans women are not men.
    This is a man with a penis and a man's body, competing in a womens race and winning it. Look at the photo of him standing like an idiot on the winner's podium and that simple biological fact its quite obvious.

It would appear that he has taken some drugs to reduce his testosterone levels somewhat. But hormonal levels are very variable in both men and women anyway.

This is the first cyclist ever to win a race by using Performance Reducing Drugs, and that in itself is cause for even more laughter.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Certainly a top u16s boys team would take on a national side but testosterone is a large part of that.

You also have to figure how much of a physical edge you are left with after 2 years (2 years is the Olympic rule IIRC). It also depends on when transformation occurs (before or after puberty makes a big difference to height and the like). Then you have issues like bone strength.

There are probably societal advantages as well. A trans soccer player may have had better training due to playing against top boys teams/with better coaches as a child but these tend not to be advantages we mitigate for in sport.

Simply put, taking into account of this, naturally interested people and the fact that mutations like Marfins may have an edge in stuff like Volleyball but are not banned it is a tough question. Certainly more complicated than a trans athlete won an event so we should ban them all.

either men have innate statistical advantages over women or they don't and the answer is they do, athletes get thrown out competitions on a regular basis for the perception of cheating no matter how minor the advantage is.
    Trans women are not men.

I don't want to go down some word babble rabbit hole but they aint biological women, which is the point. it would be no skin off my nose if sports got rid of male and female sports and just had sports but I assume most women would be aginn it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

it would be no skin off my nose if sports got rid of male and female sports and just had sports but I assume most women would be aginn it.
    Of course they would.

We shouldn't underestimate the psychological harm that is being inflicted on the lady who has been demoted to 2nd position in the race. Presumably she is a clean athlete who has put in an enormous amount of training and preparation for the event.
    To be cheated out of her gold medal by a man on drugs must be very hard to take; it's an absolute disgrace.

Of course they would.

We shouldn't underestimate the psychological harm that is being inflicted on the lady who has been demoted to 2nd position in the race. Presumably she is a clean athlete who has put in an enormous amount of training and preparation for the event.
    To be cheated out of her gold medal by a man on drugs must be very hard to take; it's an absolute disgrace.

slightly off topic but apparently silver medalists live shorter lives on average than either a gold medallist or a bronze medalists so I would not underestimate the effects of losing unfairly for a competition your whole life had been geared towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Trans women are not men.

They're not women either.

edit and im not trolling here, clearly there is some difference in this case and the fact that she is biologically male are obviosuly giving her an advantage

either men have innate statistical advantages over women or they don't and the answer is they do, athletes get thrown out competitions on a regular basis for the perception of cheating no matter how minor the advantage is.
    Trans women are not men.

I don't want to go down some word babble rabbit hole but they aint biological women, which is the point. it would be no skin off my nose if sports got rid of male and female sports and just had sports but I assume most women would be aginn it.
    Men do have an advantage in stuff like cycling. If you manage to remove the advantage what happens then? Why have trans athletes compete in a different category.

Shouldn't be hard to do a study showing an edge. Take the Olympic councils rules as a decent base point of when an athlete can compete.

Men do have an advantage in stuff like cycling. If you manage to remove the advantage what happens then? Why have trans athletes compete in a different category.

Shouldn't be hard to do a study showing an edge. Take the Olympic councils rules as a decent base point of when an athlete can compete.

how would you "manage to remove the advantage" did the individual have their lungs constricted, bones shaved down and moved to natural female positions? even a handicap system would just be a guess.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

how would you "manage to remove the advantage" did the individual have their lungs constricted, bones shaved down and moved to natural female positions? even a handicap system would just be a guess.

Not exactly rocket science. In competitive cycling, power to weight ratio is very significant. Adding a bit of weight to bike would serve as a handicap if such a thing was deemed necessary. That said. I'm not sure it is until such time as other competitive female cyclists raise it as an issue. No offence, but right wing types complaining about transexuals is par for the course, I'd be more interested in what the other athletes have to say.

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    Not exactly rocket science. In competitive cycling, power to weight ratio is very significant. Adding a bit of weight to bike would serve as a handicap if such a thing was deemed necessary. That said. I'm not sure it is until such time as other competitive female cyclists raise it as an issue. No offence, but right wing types complaining about transexuals is par for the course, I'd be more interested in what the other athletes have to say.

if they complained would that make them right wing types? :pac: , would they be put under pressure not to because of abuse from "left wing types" ?. How would you balance out a wrestling team? or a tennis match, give them heavier rackets?

Advertisement