Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fully Baked Left Wing Vegan Cookies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Trudeau fails to persuade Trump to drop trade tariffs, but after Trump leaves the room and gets on his airplane, the Canadian wimp finds new courage.
    Holds a press conference to tell the world how he kicked Trump's ass.

Watch while his Fake Eyebrows melt onto his face during the interview, he is sweating so much :D

Meanwhile in Oregon, gay owners of a vegan coffee shop fire two female workers who were already working for a very basic wage, just to placate the clamouring half-baked twitterati..
    “In this situation it doesn’t really matter that the two staff members working are not themselves racist because the call they made to deny Lillian service caused her to feel like she had been discriminated against,” the statement read, “Sometimes impact outweighs intent and when that happens people do need to be held accountable. Since both Lillian and the clamoring public were demanding that these staff members be fired that it is what we did putting these two young women out of work.”

Perhaps ironically, a few weeks before being accused of racism, Back to Eden had agreed to host a "Reparations Happy Hour," in which white people donate money to an event for people of color only.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

recedite wrote: »
    Trudeau fails to persuade Trump to drop trade tariffs, but after Trump leaves the room and gets on his airplane, the Canadian wimp finds new courage.
    Holds a press conference to tell the world how he kicked Trump's ass.

Watch while his Fake Eyebrows melt onto his face during the interview, he is sweating so much :D

As opposed to that upfront honest man Trump, who always fires people to their face & not via Twitter, or who goes to conferences makes promises, & wouldn't think of then backing out when he's safely on air force one & again, most likely via twitter again...oh wait

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Trudeau fails to persuade Trump to drop trade tariffs, but after Trump leaves the room and gets on his airplane, the Canadian wimp finds new courage. Holds a press conference to tell the world how he kicked Trump's ass.
    Is it worth pointing out that under TPP (the trade agreement which #45 ripped up three days after entering office), trade tariffs would have been zero on much of Canada-US trade? But now, #45 whinges that there are tariffs - sad!!

Still, your comments are in line with the Kremlin's media output:

https://www.rt.com/usa/429288-trump-g7-trudeau-false/

robindch wrote: »
    Is it worth pointing out that under TPP (the trade agreement which #45 ripped up three days after entering office), trade tariffs would have been zero on much of Canada-US trade?
    Not really, because its all about trade deficits, and tariffs are just a means of tweaking that back into balance.

I'm not sure why you keep quoting the RT media outlet, but I see they slipped up by not spotting the funniest bit; Trudeau's fake eyebrows slipping.

• Advertisement

Because sometimes virtue signalling is just not enough.
    Sometimes one needs to signal unwavering conviction, and absolute sincerity.
    On those occasions, one needs a pair of Extra Stern Eyebrows (patent pending) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Christy42

Is it worth pointing out that under TPP (the trade agreement which #45 ripped up three days after entering office), trade tariffs would have been zero on much of Canada-US trade?
    Not really, because its all about trade deficits, and tariffs are just a means of tweaking that back into balance.

I'm not sure why you keep quoting the RT media outlet, but I see they slipped up by not spotting the funniest bit; Trudeau's fake eyebrows slipping.
    I mean why it is about trade deficits of goods seems to be a state secret. It has been repeatedly suggested that it is not a bad thing but it just keeps being insisted on.

Especially given that the US does not run a trade deficit with Canada- I largely suspect this is partially what is funding the trade surplus on services. It is a surplus. It runs a trade deficit on goods (why only include goods, why are trade deficits bad in the first place).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/1018933359978909696

All the liberals giving Dawkins crap cos he's being criticial of Islam .... boo ****ing hoo ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

All the liberals giving Dawkins crap cos he's being criticial of Islam .... boo ****ing hoo ...

Having worked in Islamic countries with call to prayer going on every few hours, it's not exactly hard on the ear. Probably one of the least offensive bits of Islam, just as church bells are one of the least offensive bits of Christianity. Some of the tall slender mosque towers are as attractive as churches too, so the problem ain't exactly architecture either.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

On a quick read I'm seeing a lot more xtian fundies giving ex-muslims crap...

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

On a quick read I'm seeing a lot more xtian fundies giving ex-muslims crap...

This one kind of summed it up for me :pac:

456048.JPG

smacl wrote: »
    This one kind of summed it up for me :pac:

456048.JPG

Ah Brilliant!!!

Boards atheism forum, where all religion is crap - except Islam where we fawn over it and dare not disrespect it ...

I have been to Islamic countries, the call to prayer is annoying, it lasts for minutes and it's haunting - it just sounds so repressive.

Having said that it can be nice - I mean this is really pleasant to listen to

But to listen to on your own headphones/speakers - not having it blasted all over the town.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Boards atheism forum, where all religion is crap - except Islam where we fawn over it and dare not disrespect it ...

Where has anyone here ever fawned over it?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Bull.

But to listen to on your own headphones/speakers - not having it blasted all over the town.

So would you apply that to church bells also?

Life ain't always empty.

Bull.

So would you apply that to church bells also?

No, church bells don't sound as hypnotic or haunting - but I'm not too fond of loud churchbells either - nor the Angelus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Ah Brilliant!!!

Did you read something from a Daily Mail comment section that you thought was clever and mindlessly apply it here without checking if it made any sense?

That bit about fawning over Islam is so far from reality that there is no way that you gave that post any thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Don't know if they're leftwing, but they are most certainly Vegan
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45499368

You can have my Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese when you prise it from my cold, dead fingers...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You can have my Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese when you prise it from my cold, dead fingers...
    . . . following a massive cardiac arrest.

The Students Union at Manchester University votes to ban clapping in favour of jazzhanding:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/offbeat/manchester-students-vote-to-swap-clapping-for-jazz-hands-1.3648937

I'm with the brave soul who suggested that this was abelist against blind people who wouldn't be able to see the said jazzhanding. No news though about the possibly injured feelings of people who suffered accidents which lead to them losing the use of their hands, or from those with congenital deformities which led to them never forming hands capable of jazzhanding in the first place.

Still, I suppose it brings new meaning to the term "suffering from the clap".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The Students Union at Manchester University votes to ban clapping in favour of jazzhanding . . .
    To my not very great surprise, the Union has not banned anything.

Peregrinus wrote: »

Never would have worked. Imagine trying to do slow jazz hands as a mark of stern disapproval. :)

Effectively, they have. I mean, you're not going to be the only one clapping when everyone else is jazzing away, are you?
    You'd be like a crocodile at an alligator convention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Christy42

Effectively, they have. I mean, you're not going to be the only one clapping when everyone else is jazzing away, are you?
    You'd be like a crocodile at an alligator convention.

So they haven't banned it and you are just worried that people will be too embarrassed to clap next to people doing jazz hands?

How is this a serious problem. If people want to clap they can clap. If they don't because they are embarrassed I fail to see why this is everyone else's problem? People are free to wear bright pink hats in public. I am not obliged to wear pink hats so they are not embarrassed by their hat.

Do you ever wonder why people clap hands at these events anyway?
    Its only because everyone else is clapping.
    Its not a problem for me if one silly convention is replaced by a different silly convention.

What appears to be the original statement, published on 28th September by one Amy Wei, is here and says that "Jazz hands will be used instead of traditional clapping, whooping, and cheering at University of Manchester Students’ Union (SU) events".

A subsequent statement by on 3rd October, by the Students' Union, walks back from this and says that "We are not banning audible clapping" and explains that it "is only intended to be encouraged" where "our members are invited to participate in decision making which affects the democratic organisation of the Students’ Union".

The first statement clearly indicates that clapping is not permitted at SU events - I'd have thought this would fall within the general remit of the word "ban"? The second statement indicates that clapping is, in fact, not banned after all and the SU is just trying to encourage it at specific events only.

One suspects that Ms Wei simply got carried away with herself in implying there was a general ban on clapping, as did Mr Morgan who is no slouch when it comes to extracting, from poorly-phrased text, a heavy stick with which to beat people he does not like.

What's the sound of one hand jazzing?

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

What's the sound of one hand jazzing?

Ouch*

*I have carpel tunnel syndrome

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I wonder if Jazz Hands is really something that a lefty student body would want to do. A quick googling has revealed that the first known use of jazz hands came from a US musical called The Jazz Singer in 1927.

Now, some of you might already have an uneasy feeling when you think of America in 1927 and jazz. Some of you may recall that jazz was a bit of a black thing back then. You may also remember from school that the blacks were having a bit of a rough time of it back then and generally weren't appearing in musicals.

Those ingenious yanks found a solution to this though. The solution was so simple, so elegant that it even created it's own genre of entertainment. That solution was Blackface.

So, the first documented use of jazz hands is from a dude playing a jew who performs in blackface. Here he is for those wondering:

375px-Al_Jolson_Jazz_Singer.JPG

So, the question now arises. Are jazz hands still cool? Should lefties really be promoting aspects of performances that were previously associated with blackface artists? It's quite a conundrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

The Jazz Singer was the first talkie. Maybe we should stop watching movies with dialogue too. ;)

Advertisement