Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Set up now for the one real debate.......Michael D v Sean....it will be box office!
    My money is on the little man!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

This is the first main opportunity to engage with the public and he isn't there. Higgins doesn't need to, we all know what he has to offer.
    Massive gamble by Gallagher and I think it will backfire. He will certainly come under fire tonight and come across as arrogant.

I think they'll mostly criticise El Micky for his no-show, but sure, why not get a dig or two in on Gallagher with their follow-through.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Set up now for the one real debate.......Michael D v Sean....it will be box office!
    My money is on the little man!

Eh, my money would be on Higgins too. No contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Rhineshark wrote: »
    Eh, my money would be on Higgins too. No contest.

Let’s be havin it though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

This is the first main opportunity to engage with the public and he isn't there. Higgins doesn't need to, we all know what he has to offer.
    Massive gamble by Gallagher and I think it will backfire. He will certainly come under fire tonight and come across as arrogant.

Both Higgins and Gallagher should take part in all these debates. A no-show shows a lack of respect for the voters, and the tax-payers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

nuac wrote: »
    Both Higgins and Gallagher should take part in all these debates. A no-show shows a lack of respect for the voters, and the tax-payers

This whole election is a waste of taxpayers money

• Registered Users Posts: 34,371 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Has the Higgins camp said anything about why he's not appearing tonight?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Higgins said on the RTE News interview that he was attending the debates agreed to some weeks ago, and felt the the people preferred he concentrated on his presidential role.

After all, we know more about MDH as president than we do about any of the pretenders.

[And pretenders they certainly are].

• Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He was live in studio in RTÉ for the 6 o’clock news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

The OP's opening line

Running from the debates more like

Disgraceful behavior from a so called man of the people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

Higgins is going to coast home in this election tbf

Surely a scenario like this shouldn’t happen again - tax payers money down the drain

If a candidate has full unanimous backing for a second term, it should be granted

The OP's opening line

Running from the debates more like

Disgraceful behavior from a so called man of the people

He’s doing the debates already agreed. Not dancing to the tunes of the other candidates. He’s still got presidential duties to carry out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,771 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No fan of Higgins to be honest and think he's taking the piss by standing again at this stage... but as with the rest of our political system, the alternatives are so much worse that suddenly he becomes the only real choice for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭nc6000

C__MC wrote:
    If a candidate has full unanimous backing for a second term, it should be granted

Might as well just increase the term to 14 years.

C__MC wrote: »

Obviously he didn't, though: there were 20+ Oireachtas and yay-many councillor nominees of other candidates. I do feel that the nominations of the indies by the LAs was escalatingly ludicrous, but if Ni Riada's nomination to run isn't legit, you'd have to set a very high bar for any challenger.

I think 7 years is enough - it should be a one term job.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,530 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I was gonna suggest a game where we all took a drink everytime Casey mentioned the 'Diaspora' but I have to work tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I was gonna suggest a game where we all took a drink everytime Casey mentioned the 'Diaspora' but I have to work tomorrow.

Pieta house/ DIL will be another one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,771 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

C__MC wrote: »
    I think 7 years is enough - it should be a one term job.

I'd similarly impose max limits on TDs .. say 15 years/3 Dail terms after which they may find something else to do.

It shouldn't be a job for life/retirement plan and equally it shouldn't be a job scheme for your offspring either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Bagman must be collecting brown envelopes tonight.

• Advertisement

Duffy and the Sinn Fein one do come across well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,528 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Given the Jeremy Kyle level clusterf*ck that the last 'debate' Claire Byrne was left in charge of, I'd have given it a miss as well. He's doing the Prime Time and the Pat Kenny one next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Zing by Gavin there

• Registered Users Posts: 32,316 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Peter Casey.....what a clown!
    The rest aren't much better.

Given the Jeremy Kyle level clusterf*ck that the last 'debate' Claire Byrne was left in charge of, I'd have given it a miss as well. He's doing the Prime Time and the Pat Kenny one next week.

Pat Kenny a veteran of high profile debates - he does it flawlessly

Duffy roasting Byrne there - RTE snakes in the grass

• Registered Users Posts: 39,690 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well thanks to the rte player being an utter disaster I've missed the start.

Why is the issue of addressing the oireachtas such a big issue. It's something the president can do but to my knowledge it's not a requirement that it has to happen.

Pieta house/ DIL will be another one :rolleyes:

Riada mentions SF policy while running for a non-party-political role. Duffy bumbles genially. Anyone slags off Duffy and Gallagher for being no-shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Mickey d phoning up and asking for RTÉ to correct the record

?!?

Why not show up if you want to take part in the debate ???

• Registered Users Posts: 39,690 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Peter Casey is fixated on the presidents dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,530 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Claire almost lost control of it there. Can see Duffy looking for another round of applause.

Advertisement