Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAA College Football - 2018 Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Flicking between Baylor Oklahoma and Tennessee/Georgia

You have Stanford @ Notre Dame at 12.30 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,556 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Notre Dame put themselves in the playoffs picture with a great performance against Stanford. It was a close first half before the Irish took over and dominated the second. Great performances all around. Book has really settled into the starting job now and looks really impressive.
    I think if they keep winning they are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Was a serious performance, the defensive front seven made a major statement. Seemed to be sacking the QB more or less constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

There's a guy playing for Penn State called Mac Hippenhammer.

That may well be the greatest name in the history of mankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭mooreman09

eagle eye wrote: »
    Notre Dame put themselves in the playoffs picture with a great performance against Stanford. It was a close first half before the Irish took over and dominated the second. Great performances all around. Book has really settled into the starting job now and looks really impressive.
    I think if they keep winning they are in.

Depends, their schedule isn't looking great. The SEC champ is a cert, also the Big 10 champ unless Michigan somehow win it. Then it looks highly likely that Clemson will win out and possibly even Oklahoma. A one loss Washington might even run the playoff close.

Then you've to consider Georgia or Bama if they're a one loss SEC loser.

I think it's likely ND need to be undefeated and have numerous dodgy conference champs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Was lucky / unlucky enough to be woken up last night so checked the Penn state game and caught the 4th quarter. Quality atmosphere and finish

Texas went 7-0 down but have not taken a 10-7 lead midway through the first quarter, their D really stepped up on the Sooners second drive putting them way back before getting the pick which lead to a field goal.

Really annoying that the Note Dame Virgina Tech game isn't on BT Sport/Espn tonight, there showing Kentucky v Texas A & M instead.

24-10 Longhorns. Sooners struggling against the Texas D

Really annoying that the Note Dame Virgina Tech game isn't on BT Sport/Espn tonight, there showing Kentucky v Texas A & M instead.
    VPN and nbc.com

I presume it's on NBC?

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    VPN and nbc.com

I presume it's on NBC?

It's on ABC and usually BT Sport/Espn broadcasts the Saturday Night ABC game but for some reason they aren't this week.

It's a much bigger game than the one they are showing as this could have real implications for the playoffs if Notre Dame win.

Red River rivalry is living up to it's billing. Texas were up by 21 in the 4th, now they lead by 7 with 5 minutes left. They have the ball but it's 1st and 20 after a hold. It'll be an incredible comeback if the Sooners make it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Great stuff from Texas. Nice last drive but they got lucky with a big PI call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

Watching LSU at Florida on Espn. Early TD for LSU.

adrian522 wrote:
    Great stuff from Texas. Nice last drive but they got lucky with a big PI call.
    That was a great game, I'll always remember it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

One happy as funk longhorn right now
    What a game
    Not saying we're back but we're making progress here in Austin

Florida/LSU was a great game too and this FSU/Miami game is going to be some finish. Great day of college football.

Notre dame very slow to start, first time Book has really struggled, need to see a response from him now.

Smart move taking the one point there. If they score you can still win with a field goal.
    Pittsburgh have been very tough tonight. Irish have shown a lot of resolve to stay in it tonight and hopefully now they have the win.

A couple of first downs will do it now.

• Advertisement

Notre Dame remain unbeaten. They always play tough against Irish.

Out if the AP top ten the following were beaten tonight.

No.2 Georgia
    No.6 West Virginia
    No.7 Washington
    No.8 Penn State

There'll be a major shake up. Notre Dame will enter the top 4. LSU will be back in the top ten. Probably Florida and Michigan too.

Fun day of football, looking forward to seeing the rankings. The Irish pulled it out of the fire but they were lucky that the Pitt kicker was on an off day. There's no margin for error or bad days at the office, so nice to get through the trap game that Pitt always was going to be, but they can't afford to start so slow on offense again.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

Is there any pub in Dublin that shows the games? I know the woolshed does the nfl but not much of an idea what they do as regards ncaa

Lads - it'll be a travesty if ND sneak into the top 4 and keep a legitimate contender out due to their very easy schedule. In fairness to Notre Dame, they always schedule tough but this season its a terrible slate and they really are not impressing me. The Michigan game not withstanding its been pretty easy and they have struggled with some very poor teams.

The way things are shaping up we'll end up with a Big 10 winner, SEC winner, Notre Dame and Clemson.

Notre Dame and Clemson are average teams with soft schedules in my opinion.

mooreman09 wrote:
    Notre Dame and Clemson are average teams with soft schedules in my opinion.

Notre Dame beat no.7 Stanford too.
    Pittsburgh is always a tough game the Irish. They beat a ranked Hokies too.
    They still have to face Northwestern who have beaten Nebraska and Michigan State the last two weeks. They also have to go to Southern California to face a team which may have turned the corner having beaten a ranked Colorado at the weekend for their third win on the bounce. Only thing that makes their schedule look worse than normal is the travails of FSU which makes the schedule look a bit weaker but certainly should not stop the making the playoffs.

I think UCF have a great chance to get in this season too.

Yeah - I also know that Notre Dame schedule tough. Its just that their opponents are on down years.

Stanford are having a poor season, Pitt are terrible, Virginia Tech lost to Old Dominion, Wake Forests are below average, Vanderbilt and Ball State are basically walkovers - or should be for a top 4 team...

The rest of the slate is probably even weaker - Navy, Nothwestern (you can't use a lucky win against the worst Nebraska team in history as a barometer) and Fla State are on major down years. The USC game is becoming more interesting but they are miles off the top 10 and Syracuse are nothing more than plucky on their day.

The Michigan game is the only thing justifying ND's ranking IMO. I think Michigan have improved a lot since.

I'd be putting in 2 SEC teams regardless - look at LSU - they'll probably finish with 2 losses, but possibly end up with 3 top 10 wins and 5/6 wins against ranked teams. The difference in strength of schedule is silly. Same goes for Georgia if thy go 11-1 and get to the Champ game.

At the moment in college football it appears the SEC is further ahead than ever. The ACC/Pac 12 and Big 12 are miles away and I think that the Big 10 is top heavy. 3/4 quality teams and then a lot of average.

I genuinely love UCF but its hard to leave out a quality P5 team for them. The SOS is just not there in the AAC and it never will be. They'd get chewed up in a P5 conference nd the committee knows that.

Northwestern also beat Michigan State.

You are giving credit for SEC teams beating ranked opponents but not giving Notre Dame credit for beating Stanford who were unbeaten and ranked 7 when they met. Stanford had won all their games to that point including the overtime win over Oregon. What happens after they were beaten by the Irish is of no concern.

Interesting that you bring up LSU. Florida beat them and came back to beat Vanderbilt on Saturday. Notre Dame also beat Vandy. We can use this as a measuring stick, I know it's not a great one, but it suggests that there is nothing between any of these teams. The unbeaten one deserves to be ranked higher imo.

mooreman09 wrote: »
    Yeah - I also know that Notre Dame schedule tough. Its just that their opponents are on down years.

Stanford are having a poor season, Pitt are terrible, Virginia Tech lost to Old Dominion, Wake Forests are below average, Vanderbilt and Ball State are basically walkovers - or should be for a top 4 team...

The rest of the slate is probably even weaker - Navy, Nothwestern (you can't use a lucky win against the worst Nebraska team in history as a barometer) and Fla State are on major down years. The USC game is becoming more interesting but they are miles off the top 10 and Syracuse are nothing more than plucky on their day.

The Michigan game is the only thing justifying ND's ranking IMO. I think Michigan have improved a lot since.

I'd be putting in 2 SEC teams regardless - look at LSU - they'll probably finish with 2 losses, but possibly end up with 3 top 10 wins and 5/6 wins against ranked teams. The difference in strength of schedule is silly. Same goes for Georgia if thy go 11-1 and get to the Champ game.

At the moment in college football it appears the SEC is further ahead than ever. The ACC/Pac 12 and Big 12 are miles away and I think that the Big 10 is top heavy. 3/4 quality teams and then a lot of average.

I genuinely love UCF but its hard to leave out a quality P5 team for them. The SOS is just not there in the AAC and it never will be. They'd get chewed up in a P5 conference nd the committee knows that.

Tim Tebow was making this same argument against ND, and in favour of Georgia et al. Says ND have only played one ranked team, Michigan, so therefore haven't proved they're good enough.

He didn't seem to notice that until this week Georgia had not played ANY ranked teams. But that didn't seem to matter. Nor does it matter that they actually lost when they did play one. Alabama have played one ranked team, as have Ohio State. So why is that a stick to beat ND with, but not the others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,142 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's not a "travesty", it's the way it's always worked and will always work. Notre Dame's schedule is falling relatively kind this year, but it's a full national Division 1 slate with an intention towards difficulty (Michigan, Virginia Tech, Stanford, Florida State, USC). There is also the reality that staying perfect is extraordinarily difficult for student athletes. It seems this time every year the 'well if X wins out they'll be in ahead of Y' and inevitably X *doesn't* win out.

Michigan are ranked 6th and Stanford and USC are receiving votes and may creep back into the top 25 by season's end - so there will be good wins by season's end.

Advertisement