Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas TV Thread 2018

Options
  • 24-08-2018 5:08pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Although nothing compared to what it once was, there still is something special about gathering around the TV at Christmas time to see what's on, highlighting our favorites on the RTÉ Guide.

But now with streaming and repeat viewings becoming more popular the Christmas TV Schedule isn't what it used to be.

This thread can be used to discuss all upcoming Christmas Specials, TV Episodes and Christmas Holidays TV Lineups.

This thread is created earlier than I thought as these were just announced that are coming back today.

* Christmas 24 - 20th Oct (Double bills from 1st Sat of Oct on Movies24)
    * True Christmas - 22nd Sep
    * Sky Cinema Christmas - 7th Nov
    * Heart TV Christmas - 1st Nov
    * NOW Christmas - 26th Nov

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loughc wrote: »
    This thread is created earlier than I thought as these were just announced that are coming back today.

* Christmas 24 - 20th Oct (Double bills from 1st Sat of Oct on Movies24)
    * True Christmas - 22nd Sep
    * Sky Cinema Christmas - 7th Nov
    * Heart TV Christmas - 1st Nov
    * NOW Christmas - 26th Nov

One of these dates is the day after my birthday and I am very very pleased!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Confirmed for Christmas 2018 as at 21st August 2018

BBC ONE
    Call the Midwife
    ​Doctor Who Christmas Special
    Mrs Brown's Boys
    Not Going Out (Confirmed for Friday 21/12 Time to be confirmed)
    Pointless Christmas Special
    ​Shop Well for Less? Christmas Special
    BBC Sports Personality of the Year (Confirmed for Sunday 16/12 Time to be confirmed)
    Songs of Praise Big Sing Christmas
    Songs of Praise Big Sing New Year
    Still Open All Hours Christmas Special
    ​The ABC Murders
    War of the Worlds
    Watership Down (Channel not confirmed)
    Would I Lie to You at Christmas?
    ​Zog (animation)

BBC TWO
    Live at the Apollo Christmas Special
    ​QI Christmas Special
    ​Upstart Crow Christmas Special

​ITV
    Bad Move Christmas Special
    ​The Chase Christmas Special
    The Jonathan Ross Show Christmas Special
    The Keith and Paddy Picture Show Christmas Special
    ​Tipping Point Christmas Special

CHANNEL 4
    Child Genius V Celebrities Christmas Special
    ​Kirstie's Handmade Christmas
    The Crystal Maze Christmas Special
    ​The Great Christmas Bake Off

Very disappointing and unoriginal line ups so far

Not very inspiring so far, but at least there's a Bake Off special.

Fun fact: We went to a filming of Pointless a few years ago and Richard Osman told us (the audience in general, not just us!) that they had been filming the Christmas special the day before. I was devastated! It was a gorgeous sunny week in May I think and I would have loved to have thrown on a Christmas jumper for that filming.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

RTE One!
    Fair City Christmas Day Special.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I know it's more a new years thing, but I always love the Big Fat Quiz

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Toots wrote: »
    I know it's more a new years thing, but I always love the Big Fat Quiz

I love it too. I always end up watching it with Christmas sweet and treats it’s always on at the end of my holidays so it’s always like the closing ceremony of holidays for me haha.

I enjoy the Coronation Street vs Emmerdale quiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Big Fat Quiz is always a night for a couple of drinkies and lots of crisps and chocolate.  Love the Corrie v Emmerdale Quiz too.

40400866_10156320323620973_9154323574213836800_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=60c8182aedc65229b5ba4b11b5e691e1&oe=5C399766

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think that latest John Lewis advert about the School Musical will keep going for an Xmas version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭DvB

New John Lewis advery to have Elton John singing 'Your Song' for a cool 5 million quid...:eek: Apparently its set around him opening crimbo pressies as a kid.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    New John Lewis advery to have Elton John singing 'Your Song' for a cool 5 million quid...:eek: Apparently its set around him opening crimbo pressies as a kid.

The problem is with this is the John Lewis ads have lost the same spark they once had. They're failing to meet the hype that grows each year. Rather than trying to find the special something that made them so unique in the first place and now they're trying to throw money at the problem.

I've no doubt it'll be a great ad but I think their moment has come and gone.

The problem is with this is the John Lewis ads have lost the same spark they once had. They're failing to meet the hype that grows each year. Rather than trying to find the special something that made them so unique in the first place and now they're trying to throw money at the problem.

I've no doubt it'll be a great ad but I think their moment has come and gone.

Said that a couple of years ago. They became a victim of their own success & stopped doing what got them into that position in the first place. The adverts have been going downhill since peaking with The Snowmen & the Bear & the Hare... as you say I'm sure it'll be a nice advert but i'd be surprised if it hits the mark the way the aformentioned two did.

Looking forward to Nov. 1st & the chistmas advert watch though, one of the best bits of the build up IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Looking forward to Nov. 1st & the chistmas advert watch though, one of the best bits of the build up IMO.

Yep one of my favorite things to do too! :)

Love looking out for the Coca Cola ad too, I hate how they announce on Social Media when the ad will air or worse, tease the Christmas ad the day before it airs, the best part about it is seeing Christmas ads unexpectedly.

Yep one of my favorite things to do too! :)

Love looking out for the Coca Cola ad too, I hate how they announce on Social Media when the ad will air or worse, tease the Christmas ad the day before it airs, the best part about it is seeing Christmas ads unexpectedly.

Now we're talking!!! :D

The Guinness advert fills that slot for me. Love coming across it randomly for the first time each year.

I think choosing a similar song year on year is the issue for John Lewis. Something a little more upbeat and Christmassy would take people by surprise. The current format has had its day.

The best ad from recent years is definitely Kevin The Carrot, but even that could do with a shake up.

The best ad from recent years is definitely Kevin The Carrot, but even that could do with a shake up.

That was a good one, but for me the best recent one was the Lidl one with the family doing up the old bungalow & bringing the 'grandad' out to surprise him. Though that was a lovely 'old fashioned' christmas advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm ok with the snippets of ads, they used to do it with the Coca Cola truck and it was great, really built up the excitement.

The issue with JL, Sainsbury's et al is that they come out so soon you almost forget about them come the last few weeks before the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Said that a couple of years ago. They became a victim of their own success & stopped doing what got them into that position in the first place. The adverts have been going downhill since peaking with The Snowmen & the Bear & the Hare... as you say I'm sure it'll be a nice advert but i'd be surprised if it hits the mark the way the aformentioned two did.

Was the cuddly toy penguin the year after the Bear and the Hare? That was a lovely one as well.

It all went down hill for me with the man on the moon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Last year's one with the monster was terrible.

I don't hold out much hope for this Christmas offering from John Lewis either, to be honest.

Posy wrote: »
    Last year's one with the monster was terrible.

I don't hold out much hope for this Christmas offering from John Lewis either, to be honest.

Arent they struggling badly financially at the moment? Could be their last big hurrah... throwing 5m quid at Elton John certainly gives a whiff of desperation to me anyway.

Daddy's Home 2 is the Sky Premier Movie this week, and it's set at Christmas time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Let the Christmas movie marathon commence. True Christmas is going to be showing nothing but Christmas films from today onwards. Available on Freeview (62), Sky (185) and Virgin (424).

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/tv-station-will-showing-nothing-christmas-films-today-641750

🤪

I do also but I very rarely make any of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We are overdue a christmas drinking show... bring back Oz Clarke!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I do also but I very rarely make any of it!

Ditto.
    Love sitting down & watching Nigella, Jamie & co. do their christmas magic, even though we end up doing what we do every year & more or less in the same way.

This looks ahem... interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I know it is not technically TV but I am so excited for this:

Advertisement